• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT9| SPOILER TAGS OR DIE

DNAbro

Fixed. Average cycle is 2-3 months in the West. I bet you we're not getting anything this month.

Looking at the current conversation, I'll also bet anyone that it's "Anne" in the English version of the game.

Hardin literally said it was Ann though. Unless you think they are changing it back.

Fixed. Average cycle is 2-3 months in the West. I bet you we're not getting anything this month.

Looking at the current conversation, I'll also bet anyone that it's "Anne" in the English version of the game.

I counted the dates on SMT Apocalypse and KOF, the two most recent games on Atlus USA's YouTube page, as well as DAN. I got 4/5 months. Are those 3 games super weird, or do I need to go deeper?

I'll gladly check when I'm not on a phone with dwindling data.

FluxWaveZ

I counted the dates on SMT Apocalypse and KOF, the two most recent games on Atlus USA's YouTube page, as well as DAN. I got 4/5 months. Are those 3 games super weird, or do I need to go deeper?

I'll gladly check when I'm not on a phone with dwindling data.

I guess what I was counting was specifically games developed by P Studio, so:

P4D: 3 months
PQ: 2 months
P4AU: 3 months
P4A: 3 months
Catherine: 2 months

Not necessarily indicative, but I also don't think we're getting anything this month.

I guess what I was counting was specifically games developed by P Studio, so:

P4D: 3 months
PQ: 2 months
P4AU: 3 months
P4A: 3 months
Catherine: 2 months

Not necessarily indicative, but I also don't think we're getting anything this month.

-shrug- wait and see I guess.

Mediking

I'm more worried about how long Persona can use the school setting and other key stuff before things hit that "I've played one or two Persona games so I've played them all!" feeling that games like Madden and Pokemon have at times. I know it's not really fair to say that to Madden and Pokemon because while the formula stays the same... stuff does change in the games but you know what I mean. I just don't want to things to get to the point where if I skip a Persona game, I'm not missing something I've experienced before in the series. Each title should be unique and must buy. Don't want things to get stale or repetitive.

Just wondering how this series will be in 10 years and would I still be even interested.

Meh... maybe it's best to ignore me right now. I'm jumping between Persona 1, Persona 3 and Persona 4 at the same time so maybe that's why I'm thinking the way I'm thinking right now.

Lusankya

To give you some unnecessary and pointless second opinion on the whole Ann/Anne thing:
I'm German and in German "Ann" and "Anne" are pronounced completely different. Here "Anne" is a normal name, while "Ann" is usually part of a double name such as "Ann-Kathrin" or "Ann-Christin".

In my mind I will always pronounce her name the German way, so the useage of "Ann" instead of "Anne" totally triggers me and I will enjoy the game less as a consequence.

It actually doesn't bother me, but I still like "Anne" and its German pronunciation more.

DNAbro

I'm more worried about how long Persona can use the school setting and other key stuff before things hit that "I've played one or two Persona games so I've played them all!" feeling that games like Madden and Pokemon have at times. I know it's not really fair to say that to Madden and Pokemon because while the formula stays the same... stuff does change in the games but you know what I mean. I just don't want to things to get to the point where if I skip a Persona game, I'm not missing something I've experienced before in the series. Each title should be unique and must buy. Don't want things to get stale or repetitive.

Just wondering how this series will be in 10 years and would I still be even interested.

Meh... maybe it's best to ignore me right now. I'm jumping between Persona 1, Persona 3 and Persona 4 at the same time so maybe that's why I'm thinking the way I'm thinking right now.

It's not like they are saturating the market with Persona games.

Priz

Persona (5) Cafe in Shibuya Oct 14 through Nov 23 -

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/10/...-to-the-citys-video-game-themed-dining-scene/

Z8F4Gyc.jpg

Arsene Strawberry Cola, Captain Kidd Passion Blue, Chameleon Rose Berry, Zoro Smart Mojito, Goemon Yuzu Tea, Johana High Priestess Coffee, Necronomicon Kiwi Blue, and Milady Chardonnay Heart

O9LB6j8.jpg

Will be in Tokyo Nov 17-23 so I plan to hit there... not sure if I'd need reservations like other themed cafes, though...

Dantis

It's not like they are saturating the market with Persona games.
Whilst you're right, wait until you play P5. By the time it ends, it all feels very familiar.

It's definitely not a P2>P3 situation.

I think/hope P6 is where they really change things up, though.

Whilst you're right, wait until you play P5. By the time it ends, it all feels very familiar.

Nope. Gotta use that engine for all its worth.

P7 though...
Watch it be FF all over again.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Gotta use that engine for all its worth.

P7 though...
Watch it be FF all over again.

? They can still use the engine and can still make big design changes ala redesigning day to day flow, maybe even allowing people to tackle dungeons in any order they want. Stuff like that is not going to force them to make a new engine.
So I don't get what the nope is about.

Also I love P5 a ton but I think P6 is definitely the point where you take another look at Social Links and the day/night time management from a systemic point of view and evolve these 2 systems.
The other gameplay stuff I'm not that worried about cause that seems to improve even throughout non Persona titles where certain improvements make their way across different SMT properties.

DNAbro

I did watch a whole playthrough and I kind of thought the same that "this is definitely a Persona game" and not some huge leap. Not that it is actually a problem cause I felt like the formula could have used improvement and refinement.

I did watch a whole playthrough and I kind of thought the same that "this is definitely a Persona game" and not some huge leap. Not that it is actually a problem cause I felt like the formula could have used improvement and refinement.

You know what? If they keep refining and tweaking it enough, I don't think we're going to need a reinvention of the wheel.

Lunar15

So far it looks like the game they wanted P3/P4 to be.

Mediking

You know what? If they keep refining and tweaking it enough, I don't think we're going to need a reinvention of the wheel.

I can handle one more school setting for Persona before I get annoyed. I'm okay with Persona 6 getting a school setting and I kinda hope it's the last school setting.

Makio

My bet is on total silence until december

Makes sense but

My line of thinking was Atlus USA was gonna use or release those shorts social links trailers plus the 30 sec phantom clips / commercials add a story / cast , gameplay ,launch trailers i had like 16-17 clips / trailers to realease weekly , so 16 weeks before release can start drop those soon than later (Later this month / November) but without knowing how many clips to expect from them or how frequent we gonna see Atlus USA P5 they can perfectly fit all that and more in 2-3 months like you guys say
For example those Phantom Thieves "commercials" i see them hitting in January but there plenty to use before. idk interviews with the VA , another contest with the fandom , some kind of gag videos like they did with SMT / Odin Sphere

Or in the worst case scenario just drop a couple of trailers and call it a day (like they did with SMT Apocalypse), but seeing previous Persona games like DAN / Q having 36 clips or Golden having like 70 i see / wait plenty of those in the future

Still hoping for this month despite Flux almost always got right this kind of stuff

Lunar15

I'm fine with no promotion for a while. After the JP launch hype, I'm in a good period where I know all I want to know, and I've passed the temptation to find it. Everything's out there, so there's no need to speculate. I feel like I can coast until the English launch without thinking about it too much, so I'm in no rush to get all in a tizzy yet.

Makio

Im in the opposite actually with the game out there and spoiled by my own choice , i would love to get back to the hype train again and hit the road to our release sooner than posible

Sounds dumb knowing besides some localization changes is gonna be the exact same game but i want to see the version i gonna play sooner , see the game in action in full localized glory
I mean the japanese version feels fine but little details like the dub or can read actual dialogue makes me feels im looking a diferent game i cant play , i need my american emancipation soon haha

Get the Feel the game is getting closer and get "hyped" again

Lynx_7

I thought I was done with the calendary/SL formula after finishing P3 and P4, but that changed real fast after being left in the cold for so many years. It's like being a mainline fan twice, but instead of filling the ridiculous gap between entries with spin-offs so well produced they could very well stand on their own against the best entries of the franchise, we got a bunch of relatively low budget cash grabs of varying levels of quality.

Now I'm just excited to play an improved version of what I got with P3/4. I have no doubts P6 will grab me by the balls too once they release an amazing reveal trailer a few years from now. They have a stable, growing audience that likes the current formula and there's still a lot of room for refinement, so any drastic changes would be risky and could potentially alienate a part of the fanbase.

That said, if they want to go ahead and give that travel around the world concept a try, I'm all ears.

Makio

Is a weird funny / feeling know the big gap between P4 and P5 was for a lot reasons already discussed here and makes you think you don't had to wait too much until Persona 6 gets announced

But the same time is unthinkable dont see these guys try to milk the product "P5" with some spinoffs or "remake" before jump to P6 or use the engine in other projects and give the persona series a rest for a while

Is gonna be interesting to see what next for the series , a spinoff or some of them , a rest / silence or jump and move forward

PD : Must be the only one who prefer the story mode they use in the spinoffs (a tree of chapters / diferent scenes) over the calendar system

That said, if they want to go ahead and give that travel around the world concept a try, I'm all ears.

I've had a thought on that. P6 with a green motif, representing nature. I've even got a cursive logo in my head.

Gotta get P5 soon to rinse that thought out of my head.

Is a weird funny / feeling know the big gap between P4 and P5 was for a lot reasons already discussed here and makes you think you don't had to wait too much until Persona 6 gets announced

But the same time is unthinkable dont see these guys try to milk the product "P5" with some spinoffs or "remake" before jump to P6 or use the engine in other projects and give the persona series a rest for a while

Is gonna be interesting to see what next for the series , a spinoff or some of them , a rest / silence or jump and move forward

PD : Must be the only one who prefer the story mode they use in the spinoffs (a tree of chapters / diferent scenes) over the calendar system

Spinoff, expansion, a straight-up sequel? Who knows!

PK Gaming

I just want the English voice cast to be confirmed

I mean Kira Buckland and Shephanie Sheh as Futaba and Ann would make my day forever

I just want the English voice cast to be confirmed

I mean Kira Buckland and Shephanie Sheh as Futaba and Ann would make my day forever

Agreed. Though I wonder if they'll do the PQ route and do some videos with the VAs, or if it's going to be like SMT4A where the cast announces it on their twitter and it just gets RT'd.

Former has a chance cause it's Persona, but still.

jzbluz

I'm fine with Persona staying with the school setting as long as we still get more MegaTen spinoffs with different settings.

Can't Atlus milk P5 and release P6 at the same time? They did release P3P after P4, didn't they?

Makio

We need someone can "rival" the "cuteness" of Wendee Lee's Fuuka and Laura Bailey's Rise , and i think Buckland would fit perfectly ,either her or Cristine Marie Cabanos could be killer choices for new navi.

And funny never consider Stephanie Sheh before despite she already voice Metis in P3 and one of the idols in DAN, but she as Ann damn son i can totally see it , no her biggest fan but the other actress i consider she the one can get the close tone to Nana Mizuki i think , plus she very versatile, i see diferent tones from her in the past great pick.

Still my Ann is Cristina Vee , i cant wait until PCB crush my hopes , since i see someone like Rachel Kimsey or Sarah Ann Williams taking it (calling it now) which are not bad choices either

---------

And about the cast get "erase" by Atlus if they confirm some role , i don't see D.C Douglas getting trouble for confirm he is in the game even maybe months away can hear the dub ... same with Morgana (Cassandra Lee Morris) but there again her only "meow" in twitter right after the E3 was reveal so is not a 100% confirmation so is low-key i guess

Makio

Well the entry on DC Douglas' page is gone now so while he probably still has whatever role, someone probably told him to remove it.

Just the Persona 5 one or in general maybe had to do with the other game Nier ... but if is true then my mistake , i stand corrected
Is understandable coming for Atlus since always been secretive about their cast , i mean even i think Ashly Burch can finally confirm her Rise role recently in her page

Just the Persona 5 one or in general maybe had to do with the other game Nier ... but if is true then my mistake , i stand corrected
Is understandable coming for Atlus since always been secretive about their cast , i mean even i think Ashly Burch can finally confirm her Rise role recently in her page

The Nier one is gone too, I think? that blob of hidden white text is gone, and the P5 entry on his main page is gone. I didn't look for Nier.

Mediking

I'm fine with Persona staying with the school setting as long as we still get more MegaTen spinoffs with different settings.

Can't Atlus milk P5 and release P6 at the same time? They did release P3P after P4, didn't they?

The school setting is getting old. I don't know how long we can keep using it before things become repetitive. I really don't even know what's gonna happen to the series in 10 years. Maybe it'll hit the same situation the Legend of Zelda has.

barybll

Banned
The school setting is getting old. I don't know how long we can keep using it before things become repetitive. I really don't even know what's gonna happen to the series in 10 years. Maybe it'll hit the same situation the Legend of Zelda has.

Is it?

I mean, Its not like persona is released every year or even every couple of years.
And atleast, unlike some other japanese devs hashino has shown interest to do something different.

For now Atlus is still heavily japanese centric. The game being a great success in japan will perpetuate that,and that means that they will continue to cater to japanese tastes, whose love for high school settings is eternal and never gets old for them.

Unless the game sells like triple in the west (a daunting proposal), I dont see Atlus risking the alienation of the japanese fanbase.

Theodoricos

The question is: what would you rather have instead?

I agree that they should spice up the formula, but I wouldn't want them to remove the life simulation elements of the series, whether the setting is a school, a university, the workplace or whatever. It's precisely that component that makes the Persona games different and more appealing than your usual JRPG, at least to me.

The question is: what would you rather have instead?

I agree that they should spice up the formula, but I wouldn't want them to remove the life simulation elements of the series, whether the setting is a school, a university, the workplace or whatever. It's precisely that component that makes the Persona games different and more appealing than your usual JRPG, at least to me.

Same. There's a distinction between not having the series go stale and detaching it from what makes it popular.

Lynx_7

I don't think using the same setting matters that much. SMT games (numbered entries) have been using Tokyo as a setting since the very first entry, that franchise is over 20 years old and they still manage to do new things and make each entry feel different from one another while following the framework they've stabilished all those years ago.
The thing that could make Persona feel same-ish a few entries from now is the calendar system, which pretty much dictates the pacing of the game and somewhat limits what they can do with it storywise since they need to follow a very specific set of "rules" (the story needs to fill the entire calendar year, there needs to be periods of downtime for the player to catch up with their social links and so on). I feel like it's too early to be having this discussion anyway, most of us haven't even played P5 yet to begin with.

Besides, if they really want to do something different without alienating the current Persona fanbase, there's nothing stopping P-Team from making another spin-off series under the MegaTen umbrella. I'd actually be more excited for that since it would mean they could go nuts and do something completely new without fear of it angering Persona fans. Not to mention that'd space out entries in the Persona franchise (which would help in avoiding franchise fatigue) and give Atlus plenty of time to milk each release as much as they want while still giving us something else of similar quality. Hashino directed vanilla Nocturne, DDS and Catherine so I fully trust his capacity to deliver something new.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I really didn't mind them not changing certain things like Slinks too much in P5. That said I've been hoping for years that they're going to mix the alignment system from SMT into the Slink system.

I think currently the things that I'm not to fond of in the current iteration is the "right answer" aspect tied to giving out the most amount of favor points for picking it. It somewhat punishes the player on a systemic level for picking what he likes.
SMT alignments would kind of solve that and you wouldn't probably pick law, chaos, neutral for persona but replace those alignments with something that would fit more.
It wouldn't matter what you pick throughout the link what matters would be where you overall leaned towards to any given Slink story line.
Also while this probably makes writing more difficult from a production standpoint it would increase the cost at most by 2 more conclusions for rank 10 which seems reasonable?

But yeah on the other hand not sure if that would really feel different enough. But I think it would be nice to get away from having this right answer thing and add more variance to Slinks themselves.

I don't think using the same setting matters that much. SMT games (numbered entries) have been using Tokyo as a setting since the very first entry, that franchise is over 20 years old and they still manage to do new things and make each entry feel different from one another while following the framework they've stabilished all those years ago.

Even beyond that, in the last 12 months, Atlus have released three games set in Tokyo.

Lynx_7

(...)
But yeah on the other hand not sure if that would really feel different enough. But I think it would be nice to get away from having this right answer thing and add more variance to Slinks themselves.

That sounds good, but what would be the difference between getting different conclusions from a gameplay perspective? Would it affect some greater alignment (let's call it "character alignment") that'd determine your ending? Would it determine who you could date depending on your character alignment (if its overall "chaos", you wouldn't be able to date "law" people, and vice-versa)? Would it give you different SLINK bonuses? I think it's a cool idea, but it might add too many variables that could potentially need a bigger budget and development time than Atlus is willing (or has the capacity) to invest. I mean, did they even bother aknowledging the fact that you're dating someone from your team in the story this time? If they can't even do that I don't see how they could do justice to an alignment system tied to SLINKs.

That said, it'd be the perfect solution to fix the whole "you shouldn't be able to date everyone!" problem some people have.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
That sounds good, but what would be the difference between getting different conclusions from a gameplay perspective? Would it affect some greater alignment that'd determine your ending? Would it determine who you could date(if your alignment is overall "chaos", you wouldn't be able to date "law" people, and vice-versa)? Would it give you different SLINK bonuses? I think it's a cool idea, but it might add too many variables that could potentially need a bigger budget and development time than Atlus is willing (or has the capacity) to invest. I mean, did they even bother aknowledging the fact that you're dating someone from your team in the story this time? If they can't even do that I don't see how they could do justice to an alignment system tied to SLINKs.

I think the easy answer here is I could but it really doesn't have to. As for alignment imposing restrictions not what I had in mind really not to exclude it or anything but like you said that's just snowballing cost so in my mind it doesn't need to be that complicated. It really was more about at least adding some variance to Slink resolutions purely on a story basis + getting rid of the "right answer" design.
Which basically just boils down to doing a alignment points check at rank 10 and play out 1 of 3 different scenes. Srsly to be honest doesn't even have to be three you could cut the alignments down to 2..

Lynx_7

I think the easy answer here is I could but it really doesn't have to. As for alignment imposing restrictions not what I had in mind really not to exclude it or anything but like you said that's just snowballing cost so in my mind it doesn't need to be that complicated. It really was more about at least adding some variance to Slink resolutions purely on a story basis + getting rid of the "right answer" design.
Which basically just boils down to doing a alignment points check at rank 10 and play out 1 of 3 different scenes. Srsly to be honest doesn't even have to be three you could cut the alignments down to 2..

I could see that working if done well. I'd definitely prefer if it was something more fleshed out though, because otherwise it just feels kinda like... A superficial system, I guess? What I mean by that is, the changes they made to SLINKs this time are significant from a gameplay perspective, while this alignment system would only address a very specific complaint some people have while not adding much else of significance. It just doesn't sound like something they would bother from a production standpoint. On the other hand, a meaningful character alignment system that affects your ending and/or interactions with your SLs sounds like something they could use in their marketing.

Top Bottom