• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Well, given that those are store promotions, it's not a big deal really. I'm more annoyed when the preorder DLC is something that actually benefits the player. Silly side outfits tied to a Lawson store chain doesn't bother me.
That's in Japan where Atlus are a bigger deal. Have Atlus USA ever done this?
I don't think SMT IV will sell enough to even do this in NA. I don't even think a Persona game could. I mean I have never seen a copy of P4G outside of a single EB in my town that has 4 of them. P4A was never available at wal-mart, and Best Buy never got it until months after.

For SMT4 it doesn't bother me. If it was retailer specific costumes for P5 though, I'd be peeved. Alternate costumes are somethnig that I really appreciate in games, so it's not something that I'd want to miss out on.

Well, Metal's a pretty diverse genre. I mean there's a lot of sub-genre to metal. Power Metal sounds nothing like say... Death Metal.

Next Persona game should totally use Symponic Metal! Bestest sub-genre is bestest!

I'm a huge symphonic metal fan. (Or at least I used to be) :)

Do you listen to much of it?

Sophia

I'm a huge symphonic metal fan. (Or at least I used to be) :)

Do you listen to much of it?

It's my favorite sub-genre. Therion, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Kamelot when they dip into that genre, etc, etc. <3

For SMT4 it doesn't bother me. If it was retailer specific costumes for P5 though, I'd be peeved. Alternate costumes are somethnig that I really appreciate in games, so it's not something that I'd want to miss out on.

I'm not sure I'd want to dress my character up like a Lawson's store clerk or a 7-Eleven one, honestly. >_>;

cjkeats

It was alternate box art for Best Buy and Walmart. You should read Kotaku's Atlus article talking about why they needed to do that.

That's a fantastic article. I remember hearing/reading about Aram meeting with people over Catherine before and that whole "That's not in Catherine" bit way back.
Say what you will about Kotaku, Schreier sure does write some good articles about Atlus.

Dantis

It's my favorite sub-genre. Therion, Within Temptation, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius, Sonata Artica, Kamelot when they dip into that genre, etc, etc. <3

WHEEEEEEY! :D

Blind Guardian are my favourite band ever. Seen them twice and met them at a signing. It was a music festival, and the signing was on the first day. I was so scared of someone ransacking my tent that I kept my signed CD in my coat pocket across all four days, haha!

Saw Therion a couple of years back and they were frigging amazing live. They take all the singers on their shows, and because they're all like opera singers, they out-perform, like, everyone.

I'm not sure I'd want to dress my character up like a Lawson's store clerk or a 7-Eleven one, honestly. >_>;

THE MORE THE MERRIER.

Could actually see that working, a band like Nightwish has a fair amount of range too so they'd have a lot to work with.

Nightwish are miles too gothic. Particularly the stuff with Tarja.

Sophia

Nightwish are miles too gothic. Particularly the stuff with Tarja.

Depends on the album. The earlier Tarja stuff is gothic, not so much the later Tarja stuff and the Anette stuff. (So sad that Anette left just as she was finding her style...)

That's a fantastic article. I remember hearing/reading about Aram meeting with people over Catherine before and that whole "That's not in Catherine" bit way back.
Say what you will about Kotaku, Schreier sure does write some good articles about Atlus.

Schreier generally writes good stuff, it's the other Kotaku writers who are a hit and a miss.

cjkeats

WHEEEEEEY! :D

Blind Guardian are my favourite band ever. Seen them twice and met them at a signing. It was a music festival, and the signing was on the first day. I was so scared of someone ransacking my tent that I kept my signed CD in my coat pocket across all four days, haha!

Saw Therion a couple of years back and they were frigging amazing live. They take all the singers on their shows, and because they're all like opera singers, then out-perform, like, everyone.

I got a couple of their albums the other day, including the live one. They are indeed fantastic live.

Still a terrible choice of genere for Persona in my opinion. It's moden day, not middle earth. lol

Dantis

Depends on the album. The earlier Tarja stuff is gothic, not so much the later Tarja stuff and the Anette stuff. (So sad that Anette left just as she was finding her style...)

I never really got into old Nightwish. My friend was obsessed with them, so we all used to refer to them as Shitepiss to wind him up. :p

I got a couple of their albums the other day, including the live one. They are indeed fantastic live.

Still a terrible choice of genere for Persona in my opinion. It's moden day, not middle earth. lol

I agree. Meguro's Persona music has always had a really heavy Japanese sound to it, as well as sounding incredibly modern and often cool. All things that don't fit with symphonic metal at all. :p

Levito

Banned
Nightwish is too gothic for Persona? In some instances yeah, but something in the same tone as Wish I Had an Angel could make great combat music.

Also Tarja Nightwish is easily the best Nightwish!

Dantis

Nightwish is too gothic for Persona? In some instances yeah, but something in the same tone as Wish I Had an Angel could make great combat music.

Also Tarja Nightwish is easily the best Nightwish!

Way, way, WAY too heavy and gothic. Just so that those of us not familiar with Nightwish know what we're talking about, this is Wish I Had An Angel.

But like I say, Persona is cool, modern and Japanese. Symphonic Metal is absolutely not.

As a complete aside, that's the first time I've listened to that in about five years. It's a lot better than I remembered.

Sophia

Way, way, WAY too heavy and gothic. Just so that those of us not familiar with Nightwish know what we're talking about, this is Wish I Had An Angel.

But like I say, Persona is cool, modern and Japanese. Symphonic Metal is absolutely not.

As a complete aside, that's the first time I've listened to that in about five years. It's a lot better than I remembered.

Once is such a great album, but that song is overhyped.

Also, Ryoji's social link is such a mindscrew. ACCEPT ON SUNDAY OR NO RANK UP FOR YOU.

And Heavy Metal is pretty popular in Japan, actually. Why do you think all these bands give Japan an exclusive bonus track or two? >_>;

Dantis

Once is such a great album, but that song is overhyped.

Also, Ryoji's social link is such a mindscrew. ACCEPT ON SUNDAY OR NO RANK UP FOR YOU.

And Heavy Metal is pretty popular in Japan, actually. Why do you think all these bands give Japan an exclusive bonus track or two? >_>;

Pretty sure that it's to prevent reverse importation, actually.

Well yeah this is all just for discussions sake, I didn't actually think Mastodon was a good fit either. :p

SPLIT YOU LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUUUUNDEEEEER! WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE!

Levito

Banned
SPLIT YOU LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUUUUNDEEEEER! WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE!

WHITE WHALE. HOLY GRAIL.

UPJsY.png

Dantis

WHITE WHALE. HOLY GRAIL.

YES! This is the exact picture I was thinking of! :D

My friend sent me that and a Manowar one years ago, and every time I hear about Mastodon, I still just think of that.

I never thought I'd be having a conversation about metal in the Persona topic. Fun times.

EDIT: Look what I found in the depths of my computer. Ah, the memories.

HAIL, GODS OF WAAAAAAR!

EDIT 2: Removing that. It's a bit racist. Guess it's one to stay in the memories, haha.

Just started Persona 3 FES off the PSN, I'm about a week away from the 2nd full moon. This game stresses me out at times since I love to do everything in a video game, but it's impossible to do so in one run through on this game, it seems.

Sophia

Just started Persona 3 FES off the PSN, I'm about a week away from the 2nd full moon. This game stresses me out at times since I love to do everything in a video game, but it's impossible to do so in one run through on this game, it seems.

It's not impossible, but you're not suppose to try and do everything on one run.

Trigger

You'd need a guide to do everything, but that's best reserved for a second run. Just play it naturally.

Levito

Banned
YES! This is the exact picture I was thinking of! :D

My friend sent me that and a Manowar one years ago, and every time I hear about Mastodon, I still just think of that.

It could be a new feature in Persona 5, if a romantic interest is involved with someone else, that song with start up and you'll have to fight them.

Sophia

I wonder if they'll bring back Philemon proper for the Persona 3 movies, given the passing of Igor's actor... or maybe Elizabeth will take on any new roles.

Moonlight

Banned
They'll probably do what they did for Persona 4 the Animation and use canned dialogue for Igor, while Elizabeth takes on a more active role.

Dantis

It could be a new feature in Persona 5, if a romantic interest is involved with someone else, that song with start up and you'll have to fight them.

As a more serious aside to this, I feel like the concept of cheating could be really interesting. For example, if an S Link cheated on the player, or if there were actual ramifications for cheating on an S Link.

Squire

Banned
You guys seen this?

Seems Atlus are getting on the whole preorder DLC thing. As an idea, preorder DLC is fine with me. What bothers me is when it has different DLC for different retailers, like this does.

That stuff rarely bothers me, if ever. If it's a bonus tied to a specific retailer it's not integral to the experience. If you can get it? Great. If not? Who cares?

The way I see it, you don't need to have every piece of content made for a game. If that were the case, you could say every developer ever is a hold-out given how often content is produced and scrapped just because of the nature of game development.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
That stuff rarely bothers me, if ever. If it's a bonus tied to a specific retailer it's not integral to the experience. If you can get it? Great. If not? Who cares?

The way I see it, you don't need to have every piece of content made for a game. If that were the case, you could say every developer ever is a hold-out given how often content is produced and scrapped just because of the nature of game development.

Entitled Gamers.

I could probably write a book with half the shit that some people say. Seriously.

Noi

Honestly, it's annoying only if they do it so it's unavailable to people who can't pre-order for whatever reason. For the most part, most DLC that's tied to retailers in Japan is made available either digitally or available at every retailer in NA/EU, so I wouldn't be worried about SMTIV.

Dissidia 012 and SE are one example of doing it wrong. There's DLC costumes you could only get for pre-ordering on Amazon and on GameStop, as well as costumes that just plain out weren't made available in NA or some in EU (including the ones that were tied to retailer pre-orders and ones tied to buying new copies of FFIVCC and The 3rd Birthday, which have long since expired).

Entitled Gamers.

I could probably write a book with half the shit that some people say. Seriously.

I don't think it's too unresonable to want everything for a game you're greatly looking forward to. Even God of War makes their retailer-exclusive DLC available to everyone eventually.

Dantis

If it was something like a DLC costume, it would absolutely be a slight irritant. I'm not saying I'd be flipping tables and screaming bloody murder, but I'd be a bit annoyed.

Entitled Gamers.

Mmm... This is stretching it a bit.

TWILT

Banned
I bet most of them lately are from that loli thread.

Oh god.

I stopped reading that thread when they tried to argue that Nanako was a loli.

Good grief.

People still play p4arena online? I havent in awhile but figured id try to get back into it.

Ranked is kinda dead, though people still play in Player matches. I'm pretty sure people here (myself included, though not at the moment) would be willing to play if you just ask.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Mmm... This is stretching it a bit.

It really isn't. People get so upset over OPTIONAL things, it's ridiculous. No one is forcing you to download any DLC or pay for microtransactions. None of it.

You know what I do. Sit back, think "Is this worth the money to me?" If so, yes, then I'll buy it and give the developers some extra money for their hard work, if not, I completely ignore it. And there's no use arguing this point to people like that because they already have the idea planted in their heads that "OMG I SPENT 60 DOLLARS ON THSI AND NOW THEY WANT MOER SHOULD MAED TEH FULL GAMEZ." When it really shows they have no idea how the development process works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom