• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikaru

Subbed. Great OP, Dantis. But you are missing P4 The Animation, Trinity Soul and that Naoto spinoff manga/light novel (not sure which) thing.

Hmm...

Maybe those should remain left out, even though I quite enjoyed the P4 Anime. I haven't read the Naoto thing, but I hear it's just... fanservice. And Trinity Soul is atrocious.

Edit: Oh shit, new page. This is now a discussion about how inane Trinity Soul is.

Can someone explain the whale bit to me?

Sophia

Animation should probably be included. Trinity Soul and the Naoto light novel are non-canon tho.

The problem with the Naoto light novel isn't that it's fanservice. The problem is it's stupid and awful and really really stupid. >_>;

Omikaru

Animation should probably be included. Trinity Soul and the Naoto light novel are non-canon tho. >_>;

The problem with the Naoto light novel isn't that it's fanservice. The problem is it's stupid and awful. >_>;

*phew*

That's a relief. I knew Trinity Soul was non-canon, but I wasn't sure about the Naoto light novel.

Sophia

*phew*

That's a relief. I knew Trinity Soul was non-canon, but I wasn't sure about the Naoto light novel.

Oh dear, you caught my post while I was in the middle of editing it. XD

But yeah, the Naoto novel is blatantly dumb. Genesis directly contradicts both the Persona 3 Drama CDs and Persona 4 Arena, and the less said about the Junes robot and the Nasuverse Touko ripoff the better.

And I refuse to believe that Naoto grew her hair out that long, that fast.

Jintor

Can someone explain the whale bit to me?

electricblueskies.com-Child-of-Eden-Evolution-10-WHALE.bmp

?

???

Dantis

Animation should probably be included. Trinity Soul and the Naoto light novel are non-canon tho.

The problem with the Naoto light novel isn't that it's fanservice. The problem is it's stupid and awful and really really stupid. >_>;

I'm too lazy to write about the Animation, but if you'd like to write something up about it, I'll add it in.

And I would argue that part of the problem with the Naoto novel is that it's fan-service.

I mean, what the frack. :/

EDIT: Changed to a link because possibly NSFW.

Sophia

I'm too lazy to write about the Animation, but if you'd like to write something up about it, I'll add it in.

And I would argue that part of the problem with the Naoto novel is that it's fan-service.

I mean, what the frack. :/

EDIT: Changed to a link because possibly NSFW.

Wooow. I've never seen that before. That IS awful...

Okay so, the charges against the novel are:
-Screwing with the plot of Persona 3
-Screwing with the plot of Persona 4 Arena
-Ripping characters and plots almost wholesale from other manga and novels.
-Absurd fanservice
-Stupid Junes Robot Girl
-Naoto grows her hair out too fast.
-General stupidity.

I hearby declare the author of the novel GUILTY~!
>_>

I don't understand why Atlus relegates the Persona game updates to dead handhelds. They do well to have them as downloadables on 360/PS3 imo.

Dantis

I don't understand why Atlus relegates the Persona game updates to dead handhelds. They do well to have them as downloadables on 360/PS3 imo.

Relegates? They sell really well as handheld games. If they released it on PSN and XBLA for like $15 it would cost them a lot more and bring in a lot less.

Relegates? They sell really well as handheld games. If they released it on PSN and XBLA for like $15 it would cost them a lot more and bring in a lot less.

Sorry. I should qualify that I live in the US. In the US the PSP and Vita are dead. So I find it unfortunate that some of my favorite games updates are on them. So I hope in the future they return to consoles. And I'd argue that I find it hard to believe that even at a reduced price (who says they have to?) that they'd sell less than on handhelds.

cj_iwakura

Sorry. I should qualify that I live in the US. In the US the PSP and Vita are dead. So I find it unfortunate that some of my favorite games updates are on them. So I hope in the future they return to consoles. And I'd argue that I find it hard to believe that even at a reduced price (who says they have to?) that they'd sell less than on handhelds.

To be fair, the Vita's dead everywhere.

Sophia

Nonsense. Vita is life. How could a system that keeps continuing to provide me with awesome games be dead!?

Sophia

Now I kind of want to make a Devil Summoner community thread. Let's divide the community even more! :D

Given the nature of the Devil Summoner franchise, that would be kinda pointless. The first two are near completely disconnected from the Raidou games. >_>;

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
but EP still bombed.

Yeah, well I want it to bomb over in the West as well Atlus! ;___;

ibf9waQb9O6Q2g.gif

Necrovex

Just picked up Innocent Sin PSP earlier, what do I need to know before I get into this, gameplay wise?

The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay is utter garbage, and you will constantly debate about quitting the game. That's how I was anyway, but I stuck with it because of the writing.

cj_iwakura

The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay is utter garbage, and you will constantly debate about quitting the game. That's how I was anyway, but I stuck with it because of the writing.

What makes Innocent Sin's gameplay better or worse than any other classic RPG of the era? I never understood people saying this.

FluxWaveZ

So the only Persona related product we have to look forward to in 2013 is "Persona 3 the Movie #1", right?

I'd say a Persona 5 announcement is inevitable, however I'm not certain it's a guaranteed 2013 release in Japan. Under normal circumstances, I would say that a Persona 4 Arena 2 would have already been announced, but that doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon despite its success in Japan and ASW stating they enjoyed the partnership.

For localization, I really hope Udon Entertainment publishes the Persona 4 Arena art book in North America like they have with the other ones.
I'd say a localization of the PSP version of Eternal Punishment is unlikely at this point.

Here's a list I compiled of an official announcement vs. release date timeline in Japan (this should be mostly accurate):

Persona 3: March 2006 — July 2006
Persona 4: March 2008 — July 2008
Persona 1 (PSP): August 2009 — April 2009
Persona 3 Portable: August 2009 — November 2009
Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PSP): October 2010 — April 2011
Persona 4 Golden: August 2011 — June 2012
Persona 4 Arena: September 2011 — July 2012
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PSP): February 2012 — May 2012

Necrovex

What makes Innocent Sin's gameplay better or worse than any other classic RPG of the era? I never understood people saying this.

I didn't really experience the PS1 era of RPGs as I grew up. I only got into the genre during the PS2 era. Hell, thinking back, the only JRPG I played and finished on the PS1 were the Final Fantasy games.

I really did not enjoy Persona 2's dungeon design; I did not like a single dungeon. While you can skip the battle animations, the battles still feel really long. I spoke to people on Tinychat as I was plowing through the game. Perhaps Persona 3 and 4 spoiled me, but making that leap back through time was painful.

cj_iwakura

I didn't really experience the PS1 era of RPGs as I grew up. I only got into the genre during the PS2 era. Hell, thinking back, the only JRPG I played and finished on the PS1 were the Final Fantasy games.

I really did not enjoy Persona 2's dungeon design; I did not like a single dungeon. While you can skip the battle animations, the battles still feel really long. I spoke to people on Tinychat as I was plowing through the game. Perhaps Persona 3 and 4 spoiled me, but making that leap back through time was painful.

I'd say it's a given. It'd be like starting with FF7 then hating FF6.

Wooow. I've never seen that before. That IS awful...

Okay so, the charges against the novel are:
-Screwing with the plot of Persona 3
-Screwing with the plot of Persona 4 Arena
-Ripping characters and plots almost wholesale from other manga and novels.
-Absurd fanservice
-Stupid Junes Robot Girl
-Naoto grows her hair out too fast.
-General stupidity.

I hearby declare the author of the novel GUILTY~!
>_>

But hey, that male robot design is pretty baller!

P3 screwed with the plot of P3 the second Aigis walked into the picture

She still turned out ok in the end though, but MAN

Noi

I'd say it's a given. It'd be like starting with FF7 then hating FF6.

Hey now, my dislike of FF6 is completely unrelated to that. FF5 is my favorite!

I like the combat of P1/P2 and the demon negotiation, I just don't like the card collection aspect.

Noi

It is not really bad at all in P1, and manageable in P2

Eh, P1 has more issues that lead me to dislike it than that. I was somewhat enjoying it at first, but I made it as far as I *think* infiltrating SEBEC before the encounter rate lead me to not want to go back to the game. That and it had the "PSP keeps counting your playtime even in sleep mode" thing which drove me up a wall.

I'd love to play your version of FF6 where most of the places you go to aren't caves. >:O

Eh, P1 has more issues that lead me to dislike it than that. I was somewhat enjoying it at first, but I made it as far as I *think* infiltrating SEBEC before the encounter rate lead me to not want to go back to the game. That and it had the "PSP keeps counting your playtime even in sleep mode" thing which drove me up a wall.

I'd love to play your version of FF6 where most of the places you go to aren't caves. >:O

Get Estoma, the encounter rate nosedives.

Wow these ending bits of P3P are even trippier in compromised visual novel format, lol

Well iirc there is one animated cutscene at the beginning of the story mode, but I think the reason why the ending is done in the visual novel form is because
in a new game + run, at the end you don't have to spend your last moments with Aigis. Depending on if you're brotag or femtag and what S Links you cleared, you can choose to end the game with Aigis (both protags), Mitsuru, Yukari, Fuuka (those three are brotag only), Akihiko, Shinjiro, and I think the last one is Ken (those three are femtag only. Maybe Junpei as well, I'm not sure), and whoever you choose will stay instead. You pick anyone else and the game will say something like >Aigis ran off at the sound of *person's* voice.

At least they gave you full audio for all of these instead of just text, but it'd be easier to do visual novel style when there's multiple ways to go out.

cj_iwakura

They added that mechanic because of the timed towers in the SQQ. Devious.

Noi

I'll likely give P1 another chance when I get around to buying it digitally. Though that may be a while since I still have a lot of games to go through.

I'll likely give P1 another chance when I get around to buying it digitally. Though that may be a while since I still have a lot of games to go through.

When you get to that point, consult me, I shall guide you towards the choices and Personae to be able to just roflstomp everything!

FluxWaveZ

When you get to that point, consult me, I shall guide you towards the choices and Personae to be able to just roflstomp everything!

Persona 1 was real easy for me in the SEBEC route just using a Megido nuclear skill over and over again, but what screwed me over was that I unknowingly made the dialogue decisions towards the bad ending and I saved over the save I had made before that point. Might play again at some point to get the true ending.

it REALLY is, MC gets Cu Chulainn for Estoma, Mark gets Gozu Tennoh for Megidola, Eriko or whoever else is compatable with it gets Phaleg for Mediarama. You cannot lose.

There is also fusion tricks that guarantee rare Fool Personae that all have baller movesets, guarantee random skill change, that, with enough patience, can get you any Ma-Element-Dyne or even Megidolaon, etc.

Persona 3 is dangerous to me, I got back into playing it yesterday and did not sleep.
:C

Goooooooooooooooood.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

I think I still need some more time before I hop back into 3 or 4. Between it being so short since I played them and having so much other stuff to play, I just can't do it yet. Maybe this summer.

If I ever want my Persona 4 fix there's always the Endurance Run...

Do you really have to "grind" in P4G if you play it in Very Hard mode? I'm doing it off an on this year as a distraction when having to work weekends and so far just killing everything I see has been more than enough (but I am not far into the game, only in May) XP.

I was hoping Very Hard would address the main problem of Hard in the game, namely gaming the fusion system wasn't necessary past just jamming things together due to the XP rate surpassing the level rate of the monsters you fight.

Do you really have to "grind" in P4G if you play it in Very Hard mode? I'm doing it off an on this year as a distraction when having to work weekends and so far just killing everything I see has been more than enough (but I am not far into the game, only in May) XP.

I was hoping Very Hard would address the main problem of Hard in the game, namely gaming the fusion system wasn't necessary past just jamming things together due to the XP rate surpassing the level rate of the monsters you fight.

Very Hard P4G turns easier than Hard P4 due to the broken new additions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom