• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Where's kazzy when I need her?

Tried to find the Persona version of this one, but my Google-fu failed me. Well, as good as any, I guess.

SF8w1U1.gif

Close enough. Surprised this exists and a Persona one don't though.
The more the merrier?
But I'm Team Steak, a Chie fan. :(
Arena is out in EU soon, come play with us once it gets going!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Just started playing as FeMC, are the Social Links really that different? :0

There are a bunch of new ones. You can have links with all of SEES now, instead of just the girls. The sports club and hermit link are different. Some are the same though.

PK Gaming

Just started playing as FeMC, are the Social Links really that different? :0

yup

FeMC gets Junpei (Magician), Akihiko (Star), Ken (Justice), Koromaru(Strength), New girl named Rio (Chariot), Ryoji (Fortune), New girl named Saori (Hermit), Shinji (Moon)

I don't think it needs to be said but... her social links blow the male MC social links out of the water. She's more of a "friend" to SEES than Makoto (and she tends to tell her friends what they NEED to hear rather than what they want to hear).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
yup

FeMC gets Junpei (Magician), Akihiko (Star), Ken (Justice), Koromaru(Strength), New girl named Rio (Chariot), Ryoji (Fortune), New girl named Saori (Hermit), Shinji (Moon)

I don't think it needs to be said but... her social links blow the male MC social links out of the water. She's more of a "friend" to SEES than Makoto (and she tends to tell her friends what they NEED to hear rather than what they want to hear).

Best SL the male had was Hermit, aside from Aigis. Oh and I liked Yuko's too.

Jintor

it's the best

it's so wonderfully out of character, but you think about it for a second, and it becomes rather in-character

Dantis

What the frack is happening in this topic? :/

it's the best

it's so wonderfully out of character, but you think about it for a second, and it becomes rather in-character

It actually doesn't. But that's probably looking into too much.

Squire

Banned
What the frack is happening in this topic? :/

It actually doesn't. But that's probably looking into too much.

Madness of course.

@ the spoiler: I knew you'd say that, but can you really be sure it doesn't fit when Naoto is so introverted? The text does carry an air of anxiety, which certainly fits. There's s bit more to it then just the fact it's written in all caps.

Dantis

Madness of course.

@ the spoiler: I knew you'd say that, but can you really be sure it doesn't fit when Naoto is so introverted? The text does carry an air of anxiety, which certainly fits. There's s bit more to it then just the fact it's written in all caps.

She's introverted but she's not retarded. We can assume that she knows proper punctuation and correct functionality of a phone. She's meant to be a tech wizard and obsessed with portraying herself in a faux-adult, formal manner.

But like Buddha said before, the texts are there for a bit of fan service, not to be analysed. But it's absolutely not an accurate portrayal of the character. It's the same kind of silly caricature-ness that Arena is made up of.

Squire

Banned
She's introverted but she's not retarded. We can assume that she knows proper punctuation and correct functionality of a phone. She's meant to be a tech wizard and obsessed with portraying herself in a faux-adult, formal manner.

But like Buddha said before, the texts are there for a bit of fan service, not to be analysed. But it's absolutely not an accurate portrayal of the character. It's the same kind of silly caricature-ness that Arena is made up of.

The former part of the bolded I recognize and agree with, of course, but not the latter. Fanservice can be done without breaking characters, which I doubt Atlus would knowingly do.

Instead of debating it, I'd rather see what Naoto's texts were like in the original Japanese.

Yes, this.

Lusankya

I just realized you can't get exhausted while exploring Tartarus in P3P anymore (only after you leave it). Best version EVER of Persona 3!

Dantis

The former part of the bolded I recognize and agree with, of course, but not the latter. Fanservice can be done without breaking characters, which I doubt Atlus would knowingly do.

I agree, but Persona rarely does it. Most of the fan service in Persona is of the over-the-top anime trope kind, and clashes heavily with the down to Earth portrayals that the game shows as a whole.

There's a part in Corpse Party 2 where a character sings the theme song from the first game to herself. I loved that, and it broke nothing. Contrast that to the very similar (But very different) band scene in P4G.

Persona's fan service is generally to appeal to specific part of the fan base, and it's the part that doesn't care about breaking character for a bit of fun.

Jintor

Just because you text like that doesn't mean you're retarded bro [either literally or in the stupid derogatory way you used it ಠ_ಠ]. I mean that's almost literally the way my dad texts, and I'm pretty sure he's not an incompetent flat-foot

She's never portrayed as a tech wizard... maybe a tool tinkerer, but even then it's just her penknife thingy

Dantis

So PS Plus has just said they're announcing the big title for May in 40 minutes.

I genuinely half wonder if it's going to turn out to be Arena.

Just because you text like that doesn't mean you're retarded bro [either literally or in the stupid derogatory way you used it ಠ_ಠ]. I mean that's almost literally the way my dad texts, and I'm pretty sure he's not an incompetent flat-foot

She's never portrayed as a tech wizard... maybe a tool tinkerer, but even then it's just her penknife thingy

What about that crazy watch she builds for you in her S Link? The girl knows her way around a computer, I think it's safe to say.

Dantis

NA or EU? Cause if NA, Im gonna feel like I wasted $30. :(

EU.

It sounds completely insane, but in some weird way, it would make sense? It would be a big get for Plus because it would be highly rated retail title on day 1, and it would be a big get for Zen because they need the sales, not to mention a boosted online community.

And them announcing it now means it has to be something significant, right? Not to mention Arena comes out one month from today.

I'm most likely completely wrong, but it's just a thought.

Jintor

What about that crazy watch she builds for you in her S Link? The girl knows her way around a computer, I think it's safe to say.

Mechanical skills =/= coding skills and general internet awareness

Unless the watch was an ipad on a wrist? I don't recall it being digital. It did have a sweet torch though.

Dantis

PS Plus members: your headline IGC game for May will be.... *drumroll* Hitman Absolution. We'll reveal four additional titles next week.

Okay, so it's not Arena, but still really good. ;)

I'll probably play it more than I would Arena anyway, hohoho.

Meia

Another case of EU getting an amazing game, while US PS+ gets nothing again? This would be my shocked face.

And yeah, I always thought Naoto's texts would be in character. She never had the need to text a friend before for obvious reasons, so it strikes me as a case where she researched what the proper texting etiquette is, and saw that as the first thing.

Ya know, kind of like Akihiko looking at books on how to pick up women from P3.

Another case of EU getting an amazing game, while US PS+ gets nothing again? This would be my shocked face.

And yeah, I always thought Naoto's texts would be in character. She never had the need to text a friend before for obvious reasons, so it strikes me as a case where she researched what the proper texting etiquette is, and saw that as the first thing.

Ya know, kind of like Akihiko looking at books on how to pick up women from P3.

I....wouldn't call Hitman Absolution amazing....

Joqu

Persona 4 Golden was actually my first time playing through the game (yeah yeah, i know) and I never thought that Naoto's texts felt out of place.
Some other parts like
the bathhouse scene and the ski trip
(not sure if I'm supposed to spoiler those?) were pretty bad though.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah, I loved the ski trip. Almost all the winter stuff in Golden was superb. The P3 shout-out during the horror stories was pretty fun, too.

EDIT: Weird, I really liked the midwinter outfits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom