• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

tumblr_m3ip1lpjF51qhj7p3o1_250.gif

Mazre

P3FES the Journey clear. Kicked off the Answer, and have P1 queued up on the PSP, but considering a short break as I've had Persona on full blast for nearly 2 months straight.

cjkeats

u8A6RTC.jpg

VWNTrrd.jpg

Hey guys, what's up with Japan and feet?

Same thing as every where else in the world and feet. Some people like them.

I don't recognize who Yukiko is cosplaying as. Or Rise for that matter. I know I've seen it before but I can't pin a name to it.

Chie is Hanekawa from Bakemonogatari.
Marie is Kuroneko from Oreimo (<3)
Naoto is Edward from Full metal Alchemists.

I just starting reading the Persona 3 manga and man, Junpei is treated as even more of a joke there than in the games. In the very first chapter he's insulted twice, mugs at the fourth wall several times, gets subjected to a slapstick beating by the Hanged Man shadow (the series starts in media res) and then gets his weapon stolen by Minato.

I just hope they handle his awakening well.

Moonlight

Banned
I don't recognize who Yukiko is cosplaying as. Or Rise for that matter. I know I've seen it before but I can't pin a name to it.
Rise is wearing a Ryuuguu Komachi outfit from The Idolm@ster. Specifically, Iori's, another idol character voiced by Rie Kugimiya. Pretty fitting, all told.

I'm not ashamed that I immediately recognized it.

PK Gaming

I just starting reading the Persona 3 manga and man, Junpei is treated as even more of a joke there than in the games. In the very first chapter he's insulted twice, mugs at the fourth wall several times, gets subjected to a slapstick beating by the Hanged Man shadow (the series starts in media res) and then gets his weapon stolen by Minato.

I just hope they handle his awakening well.

tumblr_inline_mjxsqaT0ol1rqoknj.gif

(I should start both of the Persona mangas)

Squire

Banned

Chie is Hanekawa from Bakemonogatari.
Marie is Kuroneko from Oreimo (<3)
Naoto is Edward from Full metal Alchemists.

Oh, it's cosplay? Yukiko must be Holo from Spice & Wolf then.

Ascctuh.jpg

You would be perfect in a Lawrence outfit. They're both tall with silver/grey hair.

cjkeats

They're all voice actor references now that I looked them up.
Chie was apparently Hanekawa. I guess I know what you guys know what to watch if you want to hear Chie be lewd.

does the p4 comic actually flow in a linear fashion or is it like the p3 one where it just jumps around to whatever the h*ck the artist felt like drawing at the time?

my fave part of the p3 comic was when it flashed forward to mitsuru and yukari having an important conversation on the roof top right before the class trip, but the dialogue is so vague and contextless that the entire scene is functionally meaningless unless you're already familiar with the game's story.

Sophia

I like how the manga incorporated The Answer's
flashback
scenes into the main story. Handled a lot better then The Answer itself did.

Dantis

u8A6RTC.jpg

VWNTrrd.jpg

Hey guys, what's up with Japan and feet?

Is that top one one fanart or an official non-Soejima piece? It looks a bit like the art they commissioned for the anime spinoff products (No idea who the artist was for these).

At first I thought it might be Sogabe, but the colouring is wrong for him.

If it's fanart, it's amazing.

Dantis

Is it though? Because Naoto's head is fucked up

Hmm, am I missing something? It looks fine to me. Things like everyone's eyes are off, and it has that awful thing that anime art does where the women have point chins, but otherwise I think it's very well done.

Jintor

Her face isn't actually aligned with the way her hair is facing. On closer inspection, it's kind of true for all of them, but it's most noticable with Naoto because it's actually on a slightly different perspective to the rest of her face. Her body is also out of proportion, I think, though it's difficult to tell because Rise is mostly blocking her.

Squire

Banned
Is that top one one fanart or an official non-Soejima piece? It looks a bit like the art they commissioned for the anime spinoff products (No idea who the artist was for these).

At first I thought it might be Sogabe, but the colouring is wrong for him.

If it's fanart, it's amazing.

I found both pieces through google. Top should be fan art. But yes, it's really good.

Dantis

Her face isn't actually aligned with the way her hair is facing. On closer inspection, it's kind of true for all of them, but it's most noticable with Naoto because it's actually on a slightly different perspective to the rest of her face. Her body is also out of proportion, I think, though it's difficult to tell because Rise is mostly blocking her.

Now that you've got me looking for errors, I've found a fair few (The artist has a very strange way of drawing women's chests, and Yukiko seems to have five fingers...), but I still think it's a great piece of fanart. It is very rare to find high quality lineart in Persona fanart. Most of it is either incredibly heavily stylised (Chibi, moe or otherwise) or drawn in a sketchy style and then coloured in traditionally (As in, with proper shading).

Mistakes or not, I'm impressed. ;)

Squire

Banned
I think it's a testament to it's quality that you had to actively seek out the flaws.

Whoever the artist is, they're pretty talented!

Jintor

I saw it at a glance lol

I tend to prefer stylised stuff anyway. I like things that capture the essence of what a character's about rather than just replicating Soejima's style. Although that might just be because I find Soejima's thin-line style fucking impossible to replicate.

Lemme see what I reblogged months ago...

tumblr_min3agSNkO1r8d0joo1_500.png

tumblr_mi055cOHSv1rbgqnpo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m69gmeAIBc1r8m72to1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6iyago2xl1r8d0joo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m6h6znRqyo1r9wko3o1_r1_500.png

tumblr_mhl3lk3fGZ1ruhjpfo2_r1_500.png

Dantis

I saw it at a glance lol

I tend to prefer stylised stuff anyway. I like things that capture the essence of what a character's about rather than just replicating Soejima's style. Although that might just be because I find Soejima's thin-line style fucking impossible to replicate.

Lemme see what I reblogged months ago...
tumblr_m6iyago2xl1r8d0joo1_500.jpg

SAORI!

Best secondary character in the whole damn series.

But yeah, I'm not saying that I dislike the stylised art in any way (Well, none of what you just posted anyway), but good lineart pictures are so rare that I immediately take notice.

Are there any specific tags you guys track on tumblr to get good Persona art? Any blogs you recommend?

Yes. My blog.

*cough*

Squire

Banned
SAORI!

Yes. My blog.

*cough*

Am I not following you? Mine is linked in my Twitter bio. Follow me from there OT just link yours here, whichever you prefer.

What's up with Saori? Does she have two different looks depending on whether you're MC or FeMC?

Dantis

Am I not following you? Mine is linked in my Twitter bio. Follow me from there OT just link yours here, whichever you prefer.

What's up with Saori? Does she have two different looks depending on whether you're MC or FeMC?

Saori isn't in MC's story. She's FeMC exclusive. And her S Link is glorious.

I'll go follow you now.

Jintor

Follow me if you can guess the tumblr name

I follow artists. Artists either continually pump out great art, or reblog other art they find

Meia

That one where the FemC and how she is with all of the SEES members is one of the best things I've seen. Wow.

Also pretty nice is the Yukiko/Chie shadow one.

omg_mjd

Just finished P4G for the second time. Still a great game. (And will be playing again for a third time after I finish P3 FES.)

Hidden trophy/Persona 3-related question:
So when Margaret was talking about Elizabeth after your battle, about how she left the Velvet Room to try to save P3's protag from his fate, no matter if it "takes eternity"...is that a reference to The Answer? (I only played P3 Portable, only playing FES now.) If not, is that a possible reference to Persona 5?

Sophia

Just finished P4G for the second time. Still a great game. (And will be playing again for a third time after I finish P3 FES.)

So when Margaret was talking about Elizabeth after your battle, about how she left the Velvet Room to try to save P3's protag from his fate, no matter if it "takes eternity"...is that a reference to The Answer? (I only played P3 Portable, only playing FES now.) If not, is that a possible reference to Persona 5?

FES spoilers:
A reference to The Answer. The MC's soul is acting as the barrier protecting Nyx from Erebus (and by extension, humanity.) She wants to try and find a way to save him, which she's currently in the progress of figuring out as of P4A.

Meia

It's a reference to Persona 3 in general. Canonically, she fights the MC and loses, gives him the bookmark, then P3's end happens. She fulfills her purpose in the Velvet Room during the Answer, then leaves after that to pursue rescuing the MC. This story continues in the fighting game, Persona 4 Arena.

Whether or not that end continues in 5 or an arena 2 or something else is something no one knows.

omg_mjd

Thanks for the replies! That was enlightening. I was actually able to finish P3P but apparently I missed those parts in my playthrough. But I'm going through FES now to rectify that.

Dantis

Nah, that one's from junkpyuo.

I just checked, and that's actually who I was thinking of (So who is the Skullgirls guy?). He does one every day, right? It's bonkers. No idea how he gets them out so fast.

That's probably the best thing I've seen him though. Looks really good.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I just checked, and that's actually who I was thinking of (So who is the Skullgirls guy?). He does one every day, right? It's bonkers. No idea how he gets them out so fast.

That's probably the best thing I've seen him though. Looks really good.

Yeah, he churns out art pretty damn fast lol. I have no idea how he does it either.

The main artist on Skullgirls is Alex Ahad. http://oh8.deviantart.com/

Then there's Personasama who's an animator on skullgirls and did the Scott Pilgrim game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom