• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

So Ive maybe put in an hour or two of Innocent Sin...this isnt all that dark. Its about as goofy as P4 was at this point. Secret agent restaurant owner? Steven Segal is Lisa's dad? Statues walking around and everyone being nonchalant about it. Eikichi cant stay serious for a second, Lisa always trying push his buttons and get lovey dovey with Tatsuya. The fat girl being Michel's ex was pretty lol.

I mean the darkest thing thats happened is those three kids losing their dreams and ambitions but eh, its not murder.

Still, its interesting I guess.

The tone of Innocent Sin is definitely more serious than P4, but like all of the Persona games except for P1, it has many silly moments to balance it all out. I'd say the ending is particularly what makes the game darker than P3 and P4. Fundamentally, though, I feel that IS, P3 and P4 are very similar when it comes to the overall mood.

Where that significantly changes is Eternal Punishment.

Dantis

Oh believe me, it gets darker.

Also, it's not obvious right away, but you do realize those three suffered a Fate Worse than Death, right?

It definitely has darker themes later on, and some somewhat depressing scenes, but I feel like it is sometimes exaggerated. I wouldn't even say that it's any darker than, say, Breath of Fire 4 on a purely scene to scene basis (Though I guess it may feel darker because of its more realistic setting and portrayal).

The tone of Innocent Sin is definitely more serious than P4, but like all of the Persona games except for P1, it has many silly moments to balance it all out. I'd say the ending is particularly what makes the game darker than P3 and P4. Fundamentally, though, I feel that IS, P3 and P4 are very similar when it comes to the overall mood.

Where that significantly changes is Eternal Punishment.

Does it really?

Maybe I'll buy EP today.

IT HAD BETTER BE WORTH IT, GAF.

Sophia

It definitely has darker themes later on, and some somewhat depressing scenes, but I feel like it is sometimes exaggerated. I wouldn't even say that it's any darker than, say, Breath of Fire 4 on a purely scene to scene basis (Though I guess it may feel darker because of its more realistic setting and portrayal).

No doubt people exaggerate it. I actually think Persona 3 and Eternal Punishment as a whole are darker, but the last part of IS is no slouch.

Eternal Punishment starts with murder and doesn't really let up all that much.

Also, it's not obvious right away, but you do realize those three suffered a Fate Worse than Death, right?
Nah, its pretty obvious. I guess Ive just seen this happen in other stuff before so many times, it always comes off as a PG punishment. Was pretty cheesy in Ni No Kuni too.

Sophia

Nah, its pretty obvious. I guess Ive just seen this happen in other stuff before so many times, it always comes off as a PG punishment. Was pretty cheesy in Ni No Kuni too.

Check them out later on in the game if you want to see what I mean... :p

cj_iwakura

Does it really?

Maybe I'll buy EP today.

It's worth it.

FluxWaveZ

Does it really?

Maybe I'll buy EP today.

Being the only Persona game with the main cast not composed of high school kids makes such a profound impact on how dialogue and the overall narrative is like compared to the other games.

Taruranto

I mean the darkest thing thats happened is those three kids losing their dreams and ambitions but eh, its not murder.

But it is. Murder, i mean.

Edit, actually, as Sophia said, it's even worse than murder, because they are pretty much wiped out of everyone memories.

0ODvR7w.gif

0bXjabC.gif

Levito, something's come up that has caused me to be busy for all of next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I know this is short-notice, but is it possible that we could record the next episode of S. Link FM early? I'm free most nights after 7:00 PM EST if you can swing it.

FluxWaveZ

I believe it does as well. It's not because a word or term is often used erroneously, very frequently or informally that it is devoid of meaning. From Merriam-Webster:

Merriam-Webster said:
3. a : arising from or showing evil traits or desires : evil <the dark powers that lead to war>
b : dismal, gloomy <had a dark view of the future>
c : lacking knowledge or culture : unenlightened <a dark period in history>
d : relating to grim or depressing circumstances <dark humor>

When people say the first two Persona games were "dark", the bolded definitions are what they refer to. To an extent, it is all subjective and there are people who would argue that Persona 4 is just as dark as Persona 2, but I think it's wrong to say that it actually means nothing.

Dantis

I believe it does as well. It's not because a word or term is often used erroneously, very frequently or informally that it is devoid of meaning. From Merriam-Webster:

When people say the first two Persona games were "dark", the bolded definitions are what they refer to. To an extent, it is all subjective and there are people who would argue that Persona 4 is just as dark as Persona 2, but I think it's wrong to say that it actually means nothing.

Pretty sure he's just being obnoxious because it's a broad term. It absolutely has meaning though.

literally every jrpg would be considered dark by those definitions

FluxWaveZ

literally every jrpg would be considered dark by those definitions

I don't think so. If you're going with broad strokes, practically any story ever could be described as "dark"&#8212;which might be why usage of that word is not taken as importantly as it should because of people who use it for narratives that don't deserve it&#8212;but I think it is a word that can be aptly applied to certain stories, ones that actively try to evoke the mood that word refers to.

I also find it acceptable to use it in relative terms as a means of comparison such as saying one story is darker than another, which gives someone a point of reference as to what to expect in aforementioned story.

I don't think so. If you're going with broad strokes, practically any story ever could be described as "dark"&#8212;which might be why usage of that word is not taken as importantly as it should because of people who use it for narratives that don't deserve it&#8212;but I think it is a word that can be aptly applied to certain stories, ones that actively try to evoke the mood that word refers to.

for example: every jrpg ever

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom