• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Talk about the anime, talk about the new Naoto we got and how much crap it was! :p

Actually, while I prefer the original VAs voice, the anime VA was much better at sounding like a "boy." She's honestly a better fit for Naoto (from an unbiased perspective), though I much prefer her current VA because i'm used to it :V

I might be in the minority, but I liked the anime. It got a lot of things wrong (the art, animation, KANJI business, etc) but a lot of things right too(humor, Yu, social links, fights). It was probably the best anime adaptation of a game i've ever seen.

Meia

She has a voice that more easily masks, sure, but there's no difference apparently for when she's supposed to speak more in a feminine voice. Or the direction was just bad.

Seriously, compare the game when she confronts her shadow after it's beaten, to the anime scene. It's bad in comparison.

watching the anime and hearing McGlynn as Naoto... I dunno, I kept hearing The Major rather than her voicing Naoto.

Then again, I'm just used to watching a lot of Stand Alone Complex. So eh.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Actually, while I prefer the original VAs voice, the anime VA was much better at sounding like a "boy." She's honestly a better fit for Naoto (from an unbiased perspective), though I much prefer her current VA because i'm used to it :V

I might be in the minority, but I liked the anime. It got a lot of things wrong (the art, animation, KANJI business, etc) but a lot of things right too(humor, Yu, social links, fights). It was probably the best anime adaptation of a game i've ever seen.

Yeah, the original VA wasn't that convincing as a boy, though you still kinda knew something was up regardless.

I haven't seen much of the dub, except a few clips here and there.

Also, I think it goes without saying that Teddie and Rise's voices in Japanese are annoying as all hell and the English counterparts are better. I probably would have stopped playing the game if I bought the import.

Sophia

fyi Romi Park's typecasted so much that even the Japanese probably realized something was up with Naoto's gender pre-reveal. Or at least the otaku did. :p

Though I think it goes without saying that Teddie and Rise's voices in Japanese are annoying as all hell and the English counterparts are better.

I agree.
Kuma.

That being said; Dave Wittenberg vs. Sam Riegel.

I actually prefer the latter because I think he nails the "innocence" yet does the dramatic scenes very well, but that may just be because I love Sam Riegel as a person as well as a VA.

Squire

Banned
Sentai did a pretty bad job as far as writing as well. I know someone who was mortified by the "man-whore" comment. (Though I actually thought it was a genius wink/nod to certain people who've played P4.)

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Sentai did a pretty bad job as far as writing as well. I know someone who was mortified by the "man-whore" comment. (Though I actually thought it was a genius wink/nod to certain people who've played P4.)

Really? That line was great, especially for the reason you mentioned.

Sentai probably did because they wanted to get it out quickly and did a rush job because they knew it'd be a hot commodity and people would buy.

Squire

Banned
Really? That line was great, especially for the reason you mentioned.

Sentai probably did because they wanted to get it out quickly and did a rush job because they knew it'd be a hot commodity and people would buy.

Most likely. They certainly hooked me.

But yeah, that line was a great callback. I only know that one person who doesn't like it.

PK Gaming

I agree.
Kuma.

That being said; Dave Wittenberg vs. Sam Riegel.

I actually prefer the latter because I think he nails the "innocence" yet does the dramatic scenes very well, but that may just be because I love Sam Riegel as a person as well as a VA.

haha i couldn't agree more

i'm glad i was able to experience riegel's teddie and erin's chie first.

Meia

McGlynn is a good actor, however she felt completely out of place playing Naoto. I blame the ADR director for this; she isn't that great as her previous list of directing projects would show.

I have to look for other roles McGlynn is in, cause I apparently have seen two, and it's been the same voice both times. If whoever they got couldn't have a more feminine voice(even for one scene), the probably could have gotten someone else. Or, ya know, STICK TO THE ORIGINAL VOICE ACTOR FOR THE GAME.

Weird how we had new Chie and new Teddie, but old Naoto could do both Arena and Golden, but not the anime? Why?

Dantis

Everyone should watch it. It was only mildly awful.

I enjoyed some aspects of it.

Yeah, the original VA wasn't that convincing as a boy, though you still kinda knew something was up regardless.

I haven't seen much of the dub, except a few clips here and there.

Also, I think it goes without saying that Teddie and Rise's voices in Japanese are annoying as all hell and the English counterparts are better. I probably would have stopped playing the game if I bought the import.

Japanese Teddie is tremendous. His performance is hilarious, and I generally can't even understand any of it.

Sophia

I have to look for other roles McGlynn is in, cause I apparently have seen two, and it's been the same voice both times. If whoever they got couldn't have a more feminine voice(even for one scene), the probably could have gotten someone else. Or, ya know, STICK TO THE ORIGINAL VOICE ACTOR FOR THE GAME.

Weird how we had new Chie and new Teddie, but old Naoto could do both Arena and Golden, but not the anime? Why?

I wonder if Sentai even knows who the original actor is, seeing as apparently nobody else does. >_>;

As for McGlynn... one of her best roles I've felt was Cornelia in Code Geass. She's also fantastic in Outlaw Star.

Sophia

Yes, but it's been like a decade since I've seen that. If she was who I remember it was, wasn't it still the same voice?

Well, it's her most common voice. Remember, she was famous for playing badasses. You hear her non-standard voice in the various Silent Hill games a lot (and she even sings!)

Necrovex

Chibemoe?

Kawaii Tatsumi

rdnMbDF.jpg

Moe moe kyun~

This will all be in Persona 4-2 when the cast is teleported to an alternative world where everything is chibi and moetastic.

Well, it's her most common voice. Remember, she was famous for playing badasses. You hear her non-standard voice in the various Silent Hill games a lot (and she even sings!)

I love her singing abilities. She sung in an Ace Combat game, and it was marvelous. I'll obtain anything that involves her as a singer. Though, I have to say my favorite game with her was in Shattered Memories.

Unfortunately there isn't one, but you can listen to all five episodes at that link by clicking the Play button next to the episode name. You don't even have to have an iTunes account!

Works for me, thanks man

Huh, seems like I can't pause it, I can only play and stop, and if I stop it I'll have to restart. Myaah. Oh well, guess I'll have to listen to it all in one go for each episode

Jintor

Dude thank you so much for contributing! This is so awesome!

So aside from CJ and Inorigo. Who would like to be on the podcast for the anime episode? We'd talk about the P4 Anime of course, the upcoming P3 movie, and even trinity soul(loool).

Think I might have to make this episode 4 due people's timing conflicts on the mysticism episode. Nothing set in stone yet though.

I'll do it. Going through the Director's commentary anyway

Marche90

Lol @ the askblog.

Dude thank you so much for contributing! This is so awesome!

So aside from CJ and Inorigo. Who would like to be on the podcast for the anime episode? We'd talk about the P4 Anime of course, the upcoming P3 movie, and even trinity soul(loool).

Think I might have to make this episode 4 due people's timing conflicts on the mysticism episode. Nothing set in stone yet though.

I would love to, but I haven't seen Trinity Soul, so I wouldn't be able to participate all that much (plus Jintor has already volunteered). Still, I would love to embarrass myself in the podcast some day, so I'll keep checking which themes you guys will discuss and then send you a tweet to discuss it.

Also, I need to dust off my spoken English. The last time I spoke with a native speaker was six months ago and haven't practised all that much since then =/

cj_iwakura

I've only seen part of Trinity Soul honestly, but I didn't dislike what I saw of it.

The show's melancholic tone is honestly what I look for in adaptations of Persona.

Sophia

There's a lot of weird stuff going on with that debt. It almost sounds like they don't even know how they got the debt, judging from the use of austerity to solve the problems...

Lunar15

They own more than Atlus. Who's to say that the other sections were not as profitable, and therefore those are the ones that will get cut back?

If anything, Atlus could be their most profitable division, and get the most support moving forward. But who knows.

cj_iwakura

They own more than Atlus. Who's to say that the other sections were not as profitable, and therefore those are the ones that will get cut back?

If anything, Atlus could be their most profitable division, and get the most support moving forward. But who knows.

What else do they own?

FluxWaveZ

That's true. It's easy, at least for me, to think Index = Atlus but I suppose they've got other things going on that could be the cause of this. Maybe, like you said, Atlus has nothing to do with this. I just hope that this doesn't end up affecting them.

Lunar15

Persona has been one of their biggest hits of late, so I doubt they'd kill that cash cow. And as a result, I think Atlus will be able to do their other stuff.

I'm not too concerned.

Levito

Banned
Already have a few times, Jintor and Armada are already working on stuff for the website. haha

Going to post Episode 3 in a few hours and I thought some sort of title card should go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom