• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I concur. It's alright as a piece of fluff and Labrys has some nice stuff that goes on for incredibly long, and just... seeing characters from different games interact is enjoyable, but... on the whole I'd say it's kinda dumb.

I'm still watching the whole damn thing again though when I finally get P4A

Meia

I liked the story, so long as it goes somewhere. Cliffhanger endings are garbage if they're unresolved.

Seeing more of what happened to P3's cast, knowing we're not done with P4's cast? Yeah, I'm never going to complain about that. And Labrys was awesome. So there. :p

If Arena 2 doesn't have Junpei I'm going to blow a gasket. I want to see whether it stays true to his character development and shows him as mature, or if they've devolved him back to a goofball.

Trigger

If Arena 2 doesn't have Junpei I'm going to blow a gasket. I want to see whether it stays true to his character development and shows him as mature, or if they've devolved him back to a goofball.

He'll be a little of both IMO. He'll be mature, but he won't be super serious either. Junpei isn't any fun if he's all business. I'm actually curious what he does with his life post-P3.

Sophia

Is P4A's story any good?

Yeah it's pretty good. The P3 story modes are significantly better than the P4 story modes. The biggest issue is the repetition of scenes that happens in the P4 story modes.

I remember back in the P4A topic when most people still liked the story

I still do like the story. I've just come to realize that it's "P3 Drama CD 4 with special guest appearance by the Persona 4 cast!" and not actually "Persona 4 Arena"

I am telling you, the title Persona: Arena would have been better. Also they should have added 2 more p3 characters and 1 p1/2 character, probably Nanjo, as he makes the most sense.

Meia

It is true, it seemed more of a story for Persona 3 than 4, even if the setting was pure 4. Hell, could have been really interesting to have the 3's cast meet their actual Shadows too, provided they had them even with their Journey.

Think my favorite 4's story, even if I'm a Chie fanboy, was Naoto's, simply because it was really the only cast of 4's cast interacting heavily with 3's. Sadly, by the time that's unlocked, you've seen roughly the same story like 11 million times so you kind of go through the motions.

Sophia

Yeah I hope they drop the 4 from the name if they do a sequel. The P4 cast largely have nowhere to go storywise. Naoto was heavily involved, Yu had his interactions with Elizabeth and Aigis, and there was some minor character development for Teddie and Yosuke. And that was it.

Meanwhile, Aigis's/Mitsuru's/Elizabeth's story modes were a direct continuation from the ending of P3FES, and Labrys' story was giant sidestory to Persona 3
and to Persona 2 to a lesser degree.

Le Persona 2 Character Face

Honestly, the game would have benefited if it followed Mortal Kombat/Injustice's style of having one coherent story that jumps from character to character, IN MY OPINION.

Sophia

Well it also takes place inside the Persona 4 shadow world. :p

Which means absolutely nothing. Even if the P4 cast hadn't been around, Mitsuru still would have solved everything on her own.

Honestly, the game would have benefited if it followed Mortal Kombat/Injustice's style of having one coherent story that jumps from character to character, IN MY OPINION.

Agreed, that or splitting the story mode up into five categories (P4/P3/Labrys/Finale/Elizabeth Epilogue)

Venfayth

Which means absolutely nothing. Even if the P4 cast hadn't been around, Mitsuru still would have solved everything on her own.

I agree that Mitsuru still would have solved it, but I find it silly to argue that a huge part of the setting of the game means "absolutely nothing" lol

Sophia

I agree that Mitsuru still would have solved it, but I find it silly to argue that a huge part of the setting of the game means "absolutely nothing" lol

They didn't really utilize the setting all that well. It's really disappointing given they put so many hints into P4's ending about the Midnight channel still being there, and yet the story does nothing with it.

P4A Ending:
It becomes even more egregious of an example when you consider the involvement of the two antagonists. I still want to know in more detail why they wanted entry into the Midnight channel.

Venfayth

They didn't really utilize the setting all that well. It's really disappointing given they put so many hints into P4's ending about the Midnight channel still being there, and yet the story does nothing with it.

P4A Ending:
It becomes even more egregious of an example when you consider the involvement of the two antagonists. I still want to know in more detail why they wanted entry into the Midnight channel.

Well, and that's the thing. Nothing that happened in the game - like making people fight each other - apparently could have happened outside of the midnight channel. The other possibility is that Atlus was just too lazy to come up with a good reason to require it, so they just wanted to use the midnight channel to do crazy shenanigans in.

There ARE a couple things I can think of though:

The Malevolent Entity is stronger in the midnight channel, because it is the spirit world of the human heart, and whatnot.

The Malevolent Entity was hoping to confuse the cast by appearing as their Shadows, which can only happen in the midnight channel.

-

But I dunno. Saying the setting is absolutely meaningless seems to be implying Atlus was just too lazy to create an actual story reason why the setting was relevant, as opposed to there being a not-yet-revealed or poorly explained reason. I personally think that they're going to be doing an Arena 2, and they'd probably be explaining it there.

Meia

I still think Arena's story would have worked better as an Answer-like quest like P3: Fes had when they released Golden.

I don't mind them trying a fighting game, really, but like others have said, if it wasn't like MK's story mode(the only fighting game story mode I've ever seen that was actually good), then it probably would have been better served in RPG form. Had 4's cast still be together, but have 3's cast also together at the same time discovering what they did. Lead-up would have been simple too: Yu comes back, rains that night, holy crap the Midnight Channel is showing Labrys.

Venfayth

Yeah I think the story would have been better using MK style, and I wouldn't be opposed to it being called just Persona: Arena, but then you get the implication that it's representing all the Persona series, which this game clearly is not. I think the title: "Persona 4: Arena" is fine for what the game actually is.

FluxWaveZ

There ARE a couple things I can think of though:

The Malevolent Entity is stronger in the midnight channel, because it is the spirit world of the human heart, and whatnot.

The Malevolent Entity was hoping to confuse the cast by appearing as their Shadows, which can only happen in the midnight channel.

Neither of this is true if the Malevolent Entity is actually who it most likely is.

It's called Persona 4 Arena probably because of marketing. People care more about "Persona 4", especially coming from the original game, the anime and Persona 4 Golden than "Persona" as a whole.

The Midnight Channel, if it wasn't used because that's simply what they wanted to do, was probably the setting because the fighting taking place out of it would have much stronger story implications than they wanted to tackle in P4A and that the Midnight Channel is something most players were already familiar with.

And yeah, right when the game was announced and they talked about the "25-30 hour story mode", I hoped that it would be a MK9/Injustice situation instead of what it turned out being. It would have made for a more coherent and less repetitive (although shorter) experience.

Rhapsody

Banned
Bah, I still need to get around finishing up P4A's story. Currently on Labrys but the similar stories on most of the P4 characters really tired me out.

Venfayth

It's called Persona 4 Arena probably because of marketing. People care more about "Persona 4", especially coming from the original game, the anime and Persona 4 Golden than "Persona" as a whole.

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that "Persona" has less brand recognition than "Persona 4"? Like, people who only know what Persona 4 is would be less interested in Persona Arena because they only know what Persona 4 is and and are intimidated by the lack of a "4", implying that other characters from the series would be present and they aren't familiar with them ... ?

Dantis

Here, have a picture of Margaret.

margaretheadphones.png

And some typography.

And an iTunes icon.

And an episode card.

Yep.

FluxWaveZ

I don't understand what you mean. Are you saying that "Persona" has less brand recognition than "Persona 4"? Like, people who only know what Persona 4 is would be less interested in Persona Arena because they only know what Persona 4 is and and are intimidated by the lack of a "4", implying that other characters from the series would be present and they aren't familiar with them ... ?

Precisely (maybe extending the fan recognition to P3 and not just P4), and I truly believe this. I don't necessarily mean it in a xenophobic way, but I think "Persona 4" catches the eye of more people than merely "Persona" does. That plus the fact that P4A was advertised as the canon sequel to P4.

Venfayth

Precisely (maybe extending the fan recognition to P3 and not just P4), and I truly believe this. I don't necessarily mean it in a xenophobic way, but I think "Persona 4" catches the eye of more people than merely "Persona" does. That plus the fact that P4A was advertised as the canon sequel to P4.

I see. I don't agree, but I'm not a marketer. :p

That artwork is flawless.

Yeah, nice job Dantis. It looks great.

PK Gaming

Here, have a picture of Margaret.

And some typography.

And an iTunes icon.

And an episode card.

Yep.

Your drawings look so good when they're fully colored. I'm not an art critic, but the coloring (especially on her eyes and lips) are perfect.

Definitely saving that, since good Margeret fanart is scarce.

Is P4A's story any good?

I really liked it. I've only completed the P4 characters so far, but enjoyed it. It was repetitive, but the game devs still tried to mix it up. I haven't really formed an opinion Labrys; She's neither good nor bad (but pretty cute I guess). As I mentioned before, getting to play hero with the other member of the investigation team was a lot fun, and I really enjoyed the "gimmick" that got them fight in the first place. The joke endings were worth getting if you can find them (i've found 3 so far).

It's unquestionably the Fighting game with the best story mode in recent memory (maybe side from BlazBlue, idk).

ScraftyDevil said:

Agreed.

I'd love to see Yukari again too. They might have to try harder with her moveset, but I think they can pull it off...!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ignore part 13 and as much as it's copying the Hi I'm Daisy Persona 4 comic, I still chuckled at Pharos going "I'VE SEEN YOU NAKED!" and the "do you want to join the team?" "Hell no." "Do you want to join the team?" "HELL NO!" "Do you want to join the team?" "He--(BAM!) YES! (Minato: D:!)" bits.

Ignore part 13 and as much as it's copying the Hi I'm Daisy Persona 4 comic, I still chuckled at Pharos going "I'VE SEEN YOU NAKED!" and the "do you want to join the team?" "Hell no." "Do you want to join the team?" "HELL NO!" "Do you want to join the team?" "He--(BAM!) YES! (Minato: D:!)" bits.

I love that comic. Junpei is great.

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE

Dantis

Cheers guys! I think it looks decent too, though I'm not entirely happy with it. I didn't want to spend too long on it though, and there's lots of silly crossover pictures that I want to draw, haha (P3, Bioshock, Fatal Frame. Possibly Fire Emblem?). I think it's definitely at an acceptable level, at least.

The only reason the PersonaGAF Steam chat has been in Ballertown is because of Dantis...

...It all makes sense all of a sudden...

I agree with the bolded, at least. ;)

Soma

That typographical work is kinda bugging me for some reason. Maybe it's all the weird spacing or that it reads "Link SF.M" (to me at least, I'm weird about these things)

Maybe this might be a little better?

icyw5XQfDahe2.png

I can probably even improve upon that. I dunno. I'm picky when it comes to typography :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom