• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Man, that looks so plain though. I like having it at a more extreme angle like the P4 logo too.

EDIT: Might as well link in the typography pictures so that we can all discuss this earlier.

And some typography.
slinkfmlogo.png

That typographical work is kinda bugging me for some reason. Maybe it's all the weird spacing or that it reads "Link SF.M" (to me at least, I'm weird about these things)

Maybe this might be a little better?

icyw5XQfDahe2.png

I can probably even improve upon that. I dunno. I'm picky when it comes to typography :|

I mean, personally, I like mine more, but I may be somewhat biased. ;)

Will be interested to hear the thoughts of others on this.

Sophia

I like moonspeak's more. It's more pleasing to the eyes, and it's actually readable. The dot being under the F is just really awkward.

Soma

Yeah I'm trying to get a better angle/perspective on that so that it's more in line with the original P4 logo. Mainly my issue was the character placement though so I'm just trying to give a quick example of something a bit more legible. When it comes to making logos, as much as style is important, you never want to sacrifice readability for it.

Dantis

Yeah I'm trying to get a better angle/perspective on that so that it's more in line with the original P4 logo. Mainly my issue was the character placement though so I'm just trying to give a quick example of something a bit more legible. When it comes to making logos, as much as style is important, you never want to sacrifice readability for it.

I just put the P4 logo behind it, and then hit distort on PS (Edit > Transform > Distort I think?) and just matched up the four corners. I also grabbed the colour from the logo and used a 25% to 75% split on the two lines, rather than 50/50 like you have.

Dantis

As far as typography goes, what if we dropped the period all together, and then made the L and F have a 50/50 split, and then the rest of the letters be like 25% of the height for the top line and 75% for the bottom line? It would lead from the S to the L better, whilst still looking stylish.

Dude, I love this. I also like how you put your initials on the headphones! :D

Edit: Moonspeak has the better typography, yeah.

Cheers pal! :D

Marche90

Oh, dear. The woes of having to spend 12 hours at college...

Anyway. The drawings are turning out better than I thought. I loved them. Which brings me to my next topic: FE Fan-Art!? I'm so totally waiting for that! (And nice to see that Jintor and Dantis are enjoying FE:A, btw)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I've been wondering about this for quite some time: How and why did Persona become more popular than the mainline SMT.

Squire

Banned
I've been wondering about this for quite some time: How and why did Persona become more popular than the mainline SMT.

Subject matter. The high school anime aspect of P3/4 pulled in people who wouldn't play the games normally or hadn't noticed them before and propelled Persona to the height of the niche RPG market.

Dantis

Subject matter. The high school anime aspect of P3/4 pulled in people who wouldn't play the games normally or hadn't noticed them before and propelled Persona to the height of the niche RPG market.

Not to mention the much more appealing art and music. Kaneko is a great artist, but his characters generally look completely dead inside.

Jintor

I can't remember exactly but you liked it and after some thought I am liking it too

it has its problems but I think the totality of it is pretty rad

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Was Persona 3 the first RPG to feature a fully obvious high school anime setting? Persona 1 did but it's not as popular.

Jintor

I think the 'daily life' aspect helps ground the fantasy quite a bit. P1's school focus is just a setting, but in P3 and P4, it's gameplay.

Dantis

Was Persona 3 the first RPG to feature a fully obvious high school anime setting? Persona 1 did but it's not as popular.

Like I said, much more appealing art and music.

I mean this:

to this?

Come on now.

I can't remember exactly but you liked it and after some thought I am liking it too

it has its problems but I think the totality of it is pretty rad

I liked it an awful lot, but I found some aspects of it predictable and I think it's not half as smart as it thinks it is.

On the other hand, for a AAA game to have a story which is even as good as that is is impressive, even if it is still much more heavily flawed than some would have you believe.

Squire

Banned
Not to mention the much more appealing art and music. Kaneko is a great artist, but his characters generally look completely dead inside.

That's a great point, yeah. The style is a huge element. Soejima's art is much more inviting. Also: tone.

And BioShock: Infinite is dope. Glad you're enjoying it, Jintor.

Jintor

I think I'm enjoying reading about it after finishing it more than I actually enjoyed playing it and going through the motions, lol. Fantastic art design and sound direction though, god.

cjkeats

The anime art and unique music are definitely what drew me to it in the first place.
But I do remember finding and being absolutely fascinated with the cover of P2 and the art design of Maya ling before i ever looked into playing the series. She was pure white and just so strange looking. I remember looking it up after getting into the series and having a "holy shit, that's THIS franchise?" moment.

PS: my avatar is a character from something else drawn in that Kaneko style. I love it.

Omikaru

On BioShock Infinite: I liked the production values of it, and I thought the story was neat, but I wasn't a fan of much else.

The way I see it, the vast majority of AAA gaming these days, if we're using a food analogy, is McDonald's. BioShock Infinite is a Chicken Legend, which is kind of unusual and "out there" for McDonald's, but it's still McDonald's when all's said and done.

I find it hard to articulate what I felt about it, but I think Leigh Alexander's essay on it is closest to how I feel. I especially agree where she said something to the tune of not wanting to stop playing, because if I did I'd realise I didn't want to play any more. That's kind of why I beat Infinite in two sittings, separated by a few days.

On the shooty-bang parts of the game, I think Jonathan Blow summed it up well enough. In that regard, I just think that what made BioShock 1 and System Shock 2 so amazing has been watered down and homogenized to be more of a typical shooter, and typical shooter gameplay mechanics frustrate me to no end.

On a more personal opinion, I don't think Infinite ever hit the highs of areas like Fort Frolic. That one area alone is a bigger accomplishment than the entirety of BioShock Infinite, in my view.

Maybe if you're still into the AAA thing and generally content with the way gaming is going, BioShock Infinite will be more palatable, but I just look at the game as part of why I hate this generation so much.

Dantis

At least use the original artwork before drawing that comparison.

per11.jpg

The picture I posted is much, much, much more representative of the game art (Because they're the in-game portraits, obviously). This is a great illustration, but the game looks nothing like it whatsoever.

But I wasn't saying that Soejima is a better artist than Kaneko anyway, I was saying that the character designs are more appealing, and I absolutely stand by it. Like I say, Kaneko's characters look lifeless in comparison (Which is obviously part of their appeal).

Meia

Honestly, the first thing that drew me into P3 was it's modern day setting. Think people got into Earthbound at first for the same reason: It's not exactly a common setting, and it's interesting.

Then you have the time management idea, which really excited my micro-managing skills(have yet to have a playthrough of modern persona where I didn't try and max every s-link possible in one go).

Then you get into combat, and omg the pokemon gameplay that greatly rewards attacking weaknesses, requiring further micro management. This is something that probably not many people even draw a parallel to at first, but it's there in a big way.

Music as said was also a big part of it. I was someone that, back in the day, wouldn't mind buying 4-disc CD soundtracks of FF games, because I love music. It wasn't until Persona 3 that I started doing this again. Even now about the only thing on my ipod is Persona music.

Going back to persona 1 long after 3 and 4 have been beaten like 20 times, it's hard. Not because of the art style really(though PSP's P2:IS helped by having different portraits showing expression), but the hook, the combat, is kind of mediocre. It's not unlike the traditional RPG I've played hundreds of times before(even if I played it when released it would have been the same feeling), but as said it's also an old game. Just sad the characters don't really feel like characters til really late. Hell, I felt little to nothing for half the crew until you get to the bad/good ending branch point of the SEBEC story. That's bad. Imagine the same happening in Persona 4 where they don't feel like characters til beginning of December's event? Yuck.

ULTROS!

Someone spotted this in the Philippines:

nLgiEJv.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom