• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing the Answer and P1? I'd be burned out by now.

why would you be burned out by playing the better part of Persona 3 and a game thats better than Persona 1 :)

One of these is a joke, the other is not, which is which? :D

Well, (P1 spoiler)
Nope. Pandora is the final boss.

Mazre

Doing the Answer and P1? I'd be burned out by now.

Well I've only put in 2 ~2 hr sessions into the answer and those were spread roughly 2 weeks apart. Hit up the steam backlog for some variety (Spec Ops: The Line, To the moon), also the Soul Sacrifice demo, and Monaco. Generally been playing P1 when watching TV.

why would you be burned out by playing the better part of Persona 3 and a game thats better than Persona 1 :)

Well, (P1 spoiler)

Huh, P1 sure is a strange duck.

Dantis

DOA5 is getting an update! Ahhhh, so hype!

Why can't P4A get an update? :/

So glad that it looks like Momiji is in. It's crazy that it's taken this long to be honest.

Can't wait to see how she plays.

P4A can't get an update 'cuz it sucks. Please be excited for my EU OT this Friday.

Well I've only put in 2 ~2 hr sessions into the answer and those were spread roughly 2 weeks apart. Hit up the steam backlog for some variety (Spec Ops: The Line, To the moon), also the Soul Sacrifice demo, and Monaco. Generally been playing P1 when watching TV.

Huh, P1 sure is a strange duck.

there is a whole other story route that splits off early on. There are 2 story routes in the game, SEBEC path and Snow Queen Quest. If you do it right, you can use every single party member in 1 go for the 2 paths. You, Mark Inaba, Maki Sonomura, Kei Nanjo, Reiji Kido on the SEBEC path. You, Yukino Mayuzumi, Yuka Ayase, Eriko Krisihima, and Brown Uesugi on the Snow Queen Quest. There is no way to use Mark, Maki, or Reiji on the Snow Queen story, and there is no way to use Yukino on the SEBEC path.

In the end tho, Persona 2 (both of them) has a far superior story than Persona 1, some call Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment the best games in the series storywise.

Squire

Banned
So glad that it looks like Momiji is in. It's crazy that it's taken this long to be honest.

Can't wait to see how she plays.

P4A can't get an update 'cuz it sucks. Please be excited for my EU OT this Friday.

They probably realized the demand after that fake-out a few months ago.

Are you buying Arena? You know, to qualify your opinion? Impressions based on a story mode you saw through YouTube don't do much for a fighting game. ~_^

Dantis

They probably realized the demand after that fake-out a few months ago.

Are you buying Arena? You know, to qualify your opinion? Impressions based on a story mode you saw through YouTube don't do much for a fighting game. ~_^

Renting it. Can't justify the purchase, because I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Might buy the art book though! And I've owned the OST on CD since August or whatever.

Squire

Banned
Renting it. Can't justify the purchase, because I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Might buy the art book though! And I've owned the OST on CD since August or whatever.

Nice. Looking forward to chilling in your OT (even though I expect overwhelming negativity from most posters.)

Meia

I had heard (P1 "spoilers")
both "parts" of P1 are supposed to be canonical, which is just baffling to me, even knowing the party breakdowns. I'll be damned if I'm going to play SQQ after the SEBEC branch immediately after, even if I am more comfortable with the mechanics. I'm just going to be tempted to do the uber hard version of SQQ, which I know I can do but probably requires almost as much time farming before you "start" then it does going through the SEBEC branch to begin with, and
with P2 waiting, blah to that.

It is fun juggling P1, and two different playthroughs of P4 over the last week or so though. :p

both "parts" of P1 are supposed to be canonical, which is just baffling to me, even knowing the party breakdowns. I'll be damned if I'm going to play SQQ after the SEBEC branch immediately after, even if I am more comfortable with the mechanics. I'm just going to be tempted to do the uber hard version of SQQ, which I know I can do but probably requires almost as much time farming before you "start" then it does going through the SEBEC branch to begin with, and

It is fun juggling P1, and two different playthroughs of P4 over the last week or so though. :p

It is not even possible to do the canonical P1 playthrough in the game.
Canon is they all went through it as a group...you know, like how the rest of the Persona games do it.

Meia

Canon is they all went through it as a group...you know, like how the rest of the Persona games do it.

Then which one "counts" to the later games? P2 "spoilers"
I already know one of the characters that's introduced in P1 and never seen again after SQQ starts(and is a party member there) is introduced as a party member early on in P2:IS(this is also what prompted me to stop and get through 1 first). I know only one group CAN do it because both groups can't have the MC, but that still leaves which path is "official",
hence my confusion.

Then which one "counts" to the later games? P2 "spoilers"
I already know one of the characters that's introduced in P1 and never seen again after SQQ starts(and is a party member there) is introduced as a party member early on in P2:IS(this is also what prompted me to stop and get through 1 first). I know only one group CAN do it because both groups can't have the MC, but that still leaves which path is "official",
hence my confusion.

There is no official one.
Officially, almost everyone goes snow queen and everyone goes sebec. All you need to know that is directly referenced is that officially, Yukino goes on the sebec story. As does Reiji, Nanjo, Eriko, Maki, basically everyone. Yukino and Reiji going are the big 2 important ones tho.

Meia

Ok, so for P2 (P1 SPOILZ)
are there any important story beats you miss with Yukino by not doing SSQ that you would have missed if you didn't recruit Reiji? Like I doubt the whole "brother" thing comes up in SEBEC without Reiji there.

Ok, so for P2 (P1 SPOILZ)
are there any important story beats you miss with Yukino by not doing SSQ that you would have missed if you didn't recruit Reiji? Like I doubt the whole "brother" thing comes up in SEBEC without Reiji there.

Not really, if you want the most story in P1, its best to just go with
Reiji.

Sophia

Well, (P1 spoiler)

Clearly, we know which is the right answer.

WTB proper remake of Persona 1.

Will EU/US matches be possible over the PSN for P4A?

There's no reason to assume it won't be worldwide.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Why did Atlus abandon the Revelations name they tried for in the west?
They started with Revelations: Persona. They had Revelations the demon slayer and that anime Revelations Tokyo.

I liked the Revelations name.

PK Gaming

Just finished Labrys's storymode.

I could go the easy way out and say that it gave me a ton of feels ;_; but feel like going into detail.

Her story was amazing. I loved her Labrys's entire story was self contained; we got to see her entire origin from beginning to end, with minimal interaction from the existing persona characters. Her interaction with #24 and her conflict with the scientists was absolutely heartwrenching. Seriously, I was elated when they told her she wouldn't have to "fight" anymore, and immediately crushed when they twisted that into having her terminate all of the other models. I got teary eyed during the scene when heartful cry started playing. It's rare for me to react that way to games(its pretty much exclusive to games like Mother 3), but her story really affected me. About those scientists... I loved them. They weren't given names, but they practically had their own characters. The Labrys escape segment was arguably one of my favorite events in the entire game. That little girl Labrys was based on...

On on a gameplay perspective... It's 2+ hours of text. Complete torture if you're not a fan haha.

Meia

Yeah, Labrys story was amazing, and it's the only thing about Arena that will fill me with rage if the series/overall story continues without addressing her existence.

Sophia

I kinda feel sorry for Labrys.
She has to live with the fact that she basically denied all her siblings the same chance of life she was given.

I could go the easy way out and say that it gave me a ton of feels ;_;

That's how I felt in P4 when
Nanako appeared to die. My youngest brother was about her age when I was playing through the game for the first time, and the thought of losing him in such a way terrifies me. My fraternal instincts kicked into overdrive and that, in combination to the masterful way the game makes you feel attached to her, made me well up something fierce (not quite crying, but almost).

ATLUS know how to hit them feely bones when they need to.

Levito

Banned
Hey folks, finally back from vacation.

What's new?

Went to the Calgary Expo during my vacation and picked up a bunch of SMT goodness:

rsccv.jpg

Dantis

Hey folks, finally back from vacation.

What's new?

Went to the Calgary Expo during my vacation and picked up a bunch of SMT goodness:

Man, you couldn't have chosen a better time to pick up the Arena art book. Udon announced an English translation for it like last week, haha!

Squire

Banned
Man, did we mention Samurai Champloo on the anime podcast? If not, we should have.
RIP Nujabes

Oh, and welcome back Levito! That's quite a hall.

Hey guys, playing P3P and I don't wanna look this up on the web out of fear of spoilers, but please tell me that Aigis' social link is triggered by the story. She's easily the best character in the game so I'd be disappointed if I missed it and I'm really late in the game right now.

Speaking of which, P3's a good game in its own right, but playing it after P4 you can see the huge improvements they made, both mechanically and character-wise, so I didn't get hooked on it the same way. So I'm sure you guys are sick of being asked about whether to pick up P2 or not, but I have a more specific question. Does P2 have its own merits that make it worth playing, or is it just gonna be like another step-down? Like P3 but with less fleshed-out mechanics?

Though I'm thinking of picking up Arena next tbh. I talked myself out of getting it but now I'm interested again, a fighting game would be a nice break from RPGs.

Meia

Hey guys, playing P3P and I don't wanna look this up on the web out of fear of spoilers, but please tell me that Aigis' social link is triggered by the story. She's easily the best character in the game so I'd be disappointed if I missed it and I'm really late in the game right now.

Speaking of which, P3's a good game in its own right, but playing it after P4 you can see the huge improvements they made, both mechanically and character-wise, so I didn't get hooked on it the same way. So I'm sure you guys are sick of being asked about whether to pick up P2 or not, but I have a more specific question. Does P2 have its own merits that make it worth playing, or is it just gonna be like another step-down? Like P3 but with less fleshed-out mechanics?

Though I'm thinking of picking up Arena next tbh. I talked myself out of getting it but now I'm interested again, a fighting game would be a nice break from RPGs.

Answer to the first question could be considered a spoiler, but what the hell, highlight if you want:
Yes.
What characters you have access to for links change based on whether you do the male or female path, but that isn't one of them.

3 is a tricky beast, especially after playing through 4. 3's best at having the character growth fit into the overall narrative, while 4 keeps it all in a vacuum. This is only annoying in that characters act pretty similar near the end as they do in the beginning, which is the opposite of the case with 3(as it should be). The characters are stronger in 4 I think(with a few notable exceptions in 3's crew), but some later events in 4 kind of annoy me(
NO ONE is going to visit the MC when he comes home to an empty house every night in November on, really? Least this is fixed somewhat in Golden I guess, but still
). Of course, 3 is better at making the stakes feel bigger, but then again it's supposed to as things have time to simmer with the crew, which isn't what happens with 4.

2's gameplay from what I've played is better than 1's, but still very different than 3/4. Not a bad thing, but many dislike it. Still, people say the story of 2 overall is the strongest of them. The little I played of IS so far, the characters are certainly good, which is the most important thing to me in an RPG in the first place.

Arena might not be a bad call simply to get more of the characters you're used to, and the story mode is worth playing though a few times with different characters at least. Unfortunately, to get through the characters that this is true with, you have to play through with EVERYONE, which will lead to fatigue late. Still, I think it's worth it.

Answer to the first question could be considered a spoiler, but what the hell, highlight if you want:
Yes.
What characters you have access to for links change based on whether you do the male or female path, but that isn't one of them.

3 is a tricky beast, especially after playing through 4. 3's best at having the character growth fit into the overall narrative, while 4 keeps it all in a vacuum. This is only annoying in that characters act pretty similar near the end as they do in the beginning, which is the opposite of the case with 3(as it should be). The characters are stronger in 4 I think(with a few notable exceptions in 3's crew), but some later events in 4 kind of annoy me(
NO ONE is going to visit the MC when he comes home to an empty house every night in November on, really? Least this is fixed somewhat in Golden I guess, but still
). Of course, 3 is better at making the stakes feel bigger, but then again it's supposed to as things have time to simmer with the crew, which isn't what happens with 4.

Thanks once again for the info.

Personally I definitely prefer 4's cast over 3's. I took a liking to the whole cast almost immediately, the only characters I can say the same for in 3 are Aigis, Junpei and Elizabeth (and there isn't exactly much to her character really, she's just really quirky and makes me laugh). As for the stakes feeling bigger, any real weight didn't hit me until
December, which is the part I've just completed. As the characters all become resolute, that was pretty cool.
I think most of the social links in 3 are pretty dull too tbh (bearing in mind, I took the female path, maybe the guy's are better?)
Akihiko, Fuuka and Shinjiro sure like to talk about food, huh? :p I dunno how I missed out on Yukari's until so late so it looks like I'm gonna miss that one, her and Junpei didn't really seem available that often either.

2's gameplay from what I've played is better than 1's, but still very different than 3/4. Not a bad thing, but many dislike it. Still, people say the story of 2 overall is the strongest of them. The little I played of IS so far, the characters are certainly good, which is the most important thing to me in an RPG in the first place.

What about the combat and persona fusing stuff? Is that much different? Even if the story is good I don't think I'd be able to put up with it if the gameplay isn't that great.
Arena might not be a bad call simply to get more of the characters you're used to, and the story mode is worth playing though a few times with different characters at least. Unfortunately, to get through the characters that this is true with, you have to play through with EVERYONE, which will lead to fatigue late. Still, I think it's worth it.

Honestly, I'm more bothered about the actual matches than the story. It's a fighting game, so what I'm looking for is addictive combat and being able to play as awesome characters (no worries on that front at least). I thought Soul Calibur V had a lame story but that was still a really fun game.

The Snow Queen Quest ends with
the characters running off to rescue Mark from the police station. Or maybe it was them going to the SEBEC building? I don't remember specifically, but basically they all run off, Yukino included, to get back on course with the SEBEC story after dealing with the SQQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom