• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

I'm not sure how far into Infinite I am, I only got it earlier the week. I just got a little past the part where
elizabeth got taken by songbird and there are tears everywhere saying stuff like I've been gone for six months

I'm enjoying most of it, except the part where I have to shoot so many dudes just to get to the next story beat and the audio logs are still dumb like they were in Bioshock, just worse this time because there's always someone talking over them.

Levito

Banned
the audio logs are still dumb like they were in Bioshock, just worse this time because there's always someone talking over them.

iRKZsqm.gif

Levito

Banned
If I had a dollar for everytime I was trying to hear the stupid audio log and Elizabeth just started talking right in the middle of it about some lockpick over in the corner instead of just picking up the fucking lockpick. AH.

You can play all of the one's you pick up in the select menu. ;)

Venfayth

That don't make them any less of a dumb way to portray narrative. Why even give you the option if they can't keep the rest of the rest of the people quiet?

I just stood still and listened. I a̳̖̻̽ͦ͂̋̅l͑ͫ͊̂̋ͣͮ̏͏͙͖͚͈̝̲͕͚̗s̪͎̞ͤ͛̌̏͒͆̾͌̇͘͟ò̘͇̱̟͚̫̜̇̀͝ had subtitles on.

cjkeats

I just stood still and listened. I a̳̖̻̽ͦ͂̋̅l͑ͫ͊̂̋ͣͮ̏͏͙͖͚͈̝̲͕͚̗s̪͎̞ͤ͛̌̏͒͆̾͌̇͘͟ò̘͇̱̟͚̫̜̇̀͝ had subtitles on.

So do I. Fun fact, Elizabeth's "oh"s and "hrmm"s take subtitle priority over the audio logs.

Levito

Banned
That don't make them any less of a dumb way to portray narrative. Why even give you the option if they can't keep the rest of the rest of the people quiet?

Have to disagree, they keep you in the game and don't pause anything for a cutscene, more fluidity. Couple instances I had to play them in the options menu, but they're usually away from the action so whenever I got one I heard the contents fine.

They were done better in Bioshock 1 because the game was more structured like a horror game in that you learned the history of Rapture and it's residents through them.

cjkeats

Have to disagree, they keep you in the game and don't pause anything for a cutscene, more fluidity. Couple instances I had to play them in the options menu, but they're usually away from the action so whenever I got one I heard the contents fine.

They were done better in Bioshock 1 because the game was more structured like a horror game in that you learned the history of Rapture and it's residents through them.
You don't get that in Infinite because everyone is still there and Columbias history is told to you in those silent film things and by actual people.

It's sad that some people are bad at audio logs.

You can't be bad at a bad mechanic, that's poorly implemented in a game that shouldn't need it.

Levito

Banned
You don't get that in Infinite because everyone is still there and Columbias history is told to you in those silent film things and by actual people.

Well yes, that's what I was getting at.

I like learning the finer details of the backstory through notes and audiologs like that in games, always have. It's better than Long drawn out cutscenes in something like Metal Gear Solid.

It's annoying when Liz talks over them, but hey it's not like you can only listen to them once.

Meia

Well yes, that's what I was getting at.

I like learning the finer details of the backstory through notes and audiologs like that in games, always have. It's better than Long drawn out cutscenes in something like Metal Gear Solid.

It's annoying when Liz talks over them, but hey it's not like you can only listen to them once.

Agreed 100%.

I also like games like Dark Souls where the story is kind of there, but up to you to piece it together. You can choose to, or not to, but it's up to you. I like that.

That being said, it probably would be better if there was an option in game to have audio from the logs take precedence over anything else, or make sure Elizabeth isn't striking up a convo as one is being played. For as much as Elizabeth's "AI" was heralded before the game came out by the press, I can't imagine it would have been very hard to implement something like that.

Omikaru

This Friday, GAME ON.

I don't have a mic for my PS3, so you'll just have to imagine me criticising everything in your head.

Yes! I'm in! Stupid client finally paid me for my work this week, so I have P4A money.

You will all finally get to hear my voice. I know some of you want me to say really long Welsh words, but you'll just have to put up with me speaking English.

I hope we get some good games next week. No flaking out. We've waited 9 months so it'd better be good.

Dantis

Yes! I'm in! Stupid client finally paid me for my work this week, so I have P4A money.

You will all finally get to hear my voice. I know some of you want me to say really long Welsh words, but you'll just have to put up with me speaking English.

I hope we get some good games next week. No flaking out. We've waited 9 months so it'd better be good.

If you don't sound like either Rob Brydon or Rhod Gilbert, I shall be severely disappointed.

Jintor

Audiologs have advantages and disadvantages but I am becoming increasingly annoyed at how little effort developers put into justifying it. At least they used to actually be military logs or something. Now random civilians just record snatches of their life story for no adequately explained reason and leave them scattered all over the place.

Sophia

Taruranto

That site is one my favorite, though the fandom page is kinda shitty honestly.

He even insults a couple of Gaf users and generally everyone who disagrees with him (Heck, even Takahashi for creating Xenoblade)... kinda made me lose respect for him.

Sophia

I get what you mean. I tend to agree with A.C./Yuriev on a lot of the story elements, and the general connection between Xenogears and Xenosaga. Not to mention he has an excellent understanding the Enneagram, which I'm fascinated with.

However, sometimes he occasionally indulges in tangents that undermine the credibility of his opinion. For what it's worth, he also acknowledges this in a roundabout way in his discussion of Sexual 5s on the fandom page:

This is why I always felt I was unsuitable to make a study guide for the series, because my own instinct gets in the way of calmness, matureness, professionalism, intellectualism, and seriousness. In my "serious" novels that I'm currently writing, I can't even go two chapters without writing some bizarre or sexual stuff that would definitely have the reader raise an eyebrow, and have already had to edit a ton of these out. My novels will likely scare the shit out of anyone who isn't Sexual.

On the subject of Xenoblade, I'm glad it was made, and I love it for what it is. Even if it's not the story I grew up with.

Onemic

I'm not sure how far into Infinite I am, I only got it earlier the week. I just got a little past the part where
elizabeth got taken by songbird and there are tears everywhere saying stuff like I've been gone for six months

I'm enjoying most of it, except the part where I have to shoot so many dudes just to get to the next story beat and the audio logs are still dumb like they were in Bioshock, just worse this time because there's always someone talking over them.

The audio logs are definitely annoying. I feel like even though they give you more info on the story, they're more annoying than fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom