• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I don't even know who to be angry at, I just know that I am.

And I'm definitely fucking not paying inflated Aussie prices for this

Omikaru

Absolutely, it's ASW. This isn't the first PAL release delayed because of reasons, and it won't be the last. And I'm not getting any of their games after this bullshit. Don't forget that other bullshit too. I think it's pretty obvious that the company is just shit.

But beycotting them is not hard for me because try as I might, I actually don't like ASW fighters much. lol

Meia

It's what everyone would've first blamed, but this was like the first one Index had a hold of, right? Or do I have a timeline wrong. Hell, not sure when Index entered the picture come to think of it...

Omikaru

It's what everyone would've first blamed, but this was like the first one Index had a hold of, right? Or do I have a timeline wrong. Hell, not sure when Index entered the picture come to think of it...

But games released since have not been region locked. SCE's Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed Vita games can be region locked -- I even asked him myself and he said this was the case -- and they didn't lock P4 Golden. They probably won't lock Dragon's Crown on either platforms too.

I don't count 3DS or 360 games, because those have different region locking mechanisms that, at one level or another, enforce the lock on publishers rather than publishers specifically asking for it, which is not the case in the PS3 release of Arena.

I think it's pretty obvious P4A had exceptional circumstances. What those are, I don't know, and Index (and whoever else is responsible) can eat shit for coming to the decision to region lock, but I don't think this is something to necessarily worry about going forward.

I guess we'll know when Dragon's Crown comes out; its release circumstances are very similar to P4A (JP and US release dates are close together, with a nice big "fuck you" to Europe), and Atlus are most definitely trying to rip off their Japanese audience.

Meia

It's also sad that some people just hate the persona game community I guess based on the thread, because of the defense of the original OT. I was in full lurker mode so I'm happy I can't post, because mine probably would've been along the lines of "Well, it sucks, but you guys probably won't have to wait THAT long." People probably would have been more livid back then if they knew it'd be almost a full year before they got it, and rightfully so.

Nice title name btw Dantis. :D

Dantis

Agreed. It's easy for someone who has actually had the game to tell the people who have waited 9 months to shut up and suck it up, but there's a lot of angry people. And rightfully so. This isn't like waiting for some obscure Japanese game to get a localisation; this was a game that had an EU publisher lined up god knows how long before its US and Japanese release, and which took NINE GODDAMN MONTHS to bring over for reasons that are entirely arbitrary.

Concur.

Lunar15

While people are pointing out that ASW might be to blame for the delay, at the end of the day, it's Atlus' name on the box. They're responsible for this product, and ultimately how their fans were treated. It sucks, I really like Atlus games. But as a consumer, I can only really shake my head at them for how this was handled.

I just hope it doesn't happen again.

Dantis

I'd be lying if I said I was upset by the way the topic is going. I'd be more annoyed if everyone was talking about how amazing the game was and the region lock didn't matter.

Also, Mike, I put your picture in the OP, I don't know if you saw it.

I'd be lying if I said I was upset by the way the topic is going. I'd be more annoyed if everyone was talking about how amazing the game was and the region lock didn't matter.

Also, Mike, I put your picture in the OP, I don't know if you saw it.

I did not indeed. But Dantis the game is 4amazing6u

Lunar15

Pretty sure everyone knew this was going to happen. It really can't be helped. And frankly, as Dantis put it, people should be mad about the lock.

NEsA0yr.jpg

Haha, goddamn I'm glad I played portable. This would be so frustrating.

Meia

I did until the first time I got Marin Karin'd. Anyone who's played 3 has, it's why we can all smile and shake our heads seeing those comic pages. :p

Though to be fair I understand the AI system better now. If they're not set to heal/support, if you're above 30% health they're a-ok with how you're doing and will do whatever if set to Act Freely. If they're set to heal/support, if you dip below 60% or 50% they'll prioritize healing. Unfortunately it's not smart enough to realize that if 2 members are like this a media-type spell is smarter, so they'll stick to healing one at a time. Why I always make sure to have one healing persona on me in case.

Last run through I ran Aigis, Yukari and Mitsuru. Since all are capable of Diarhan, that could have been FUN against the last boss, but no one ever got charmed. :p

Last run through I ran Aigis, Yukari and Mitsuru. Since all are capable of Diarhan, that could have been FUN against the last boss, but no one ever got charmed. :p

I used Akihiko, Mitsuru and Koromaru last run, which was fun considering how good their team synergy is. My OG team is Junpei, Akihiko and Aigis, who absolutely wreck the bonus bosses (Marakunda + Matarunda + Great Vorpal Blade = Everything dies).

Dantis

So this is awesome. A while ago Buddha posted a Soejima illustration that I couldn't identify, but it was clearly recent by the style it was drawn in. I've found out what it was.

In Japan, you can buy the entire series of P4A in one big box set, and the cover art is that same illustration.

Soejima is so awesome.

Levito

Banned
So we've decided to ditch the copyrighted music from the podcast entirely, does anyone know of Persona fan projects/ost's we'd be able to contact?

This is a major bummer, but for the best I suppose.

Sophia

It's glorious. I can't imagine how much they charge for that box set though.

I could find out. Sec.

EDIT: Huh, it's not on Amazon's Japanese website. So whatever it was it was limited shipment. I'm guessing it was a lot tho seeing as the DVDs are priced 3000-6000 ($30-60) yen a pop.

Also I find it amusing that the 360 version of Persona 4 Arena is ranked a star worse on Amazon.co.jp XD

Levito

Banned
No issue with itunes, but we can't claim fair use on a copyrighted piece of music. And I hardly want to go back and edited a crapton of episodes or take them down entirely if a legal issue ever arises.

Basically just taking out Electronica in the Velvet Room at the end, and the velvet room music that plays when I'm doing the show intro.

The bit Jintor made stays though!

Dantis

I could find out. Sec.

EDIT: Huh, it's not on Amazon's Japanese website. So whatever it was it was limited shipment. I'm guessing it was a lot tho seeing as the DVDs are priced 3000-6000 ($30-60) yen a pop.

Also I find it amusing that the 360 version of Persona 4 Arena is ranked a star worse on Amazon.co.jp XD

Yeah, I couldn't see it on CDJapan either, and they get everything.

Marche90

So we've decided to ditch the copyrighted music from the podcast entirely, does anyone know of Persona fan projects/ost's we'd be able to contact?

This is a major bummer, but for the best I suppose.

I guess that means that covers are a no-go too, right?

There was someone over at the Atlus forums who was making covers of the SMT songs (Persona included) in piano, and I liked the results. Here's an example, this is his cover of Aria of the Soul. Of course, this means nothing if we can't use those too.

Levito

Banned
I guess that means that covers are a no-go too, right?

There was someone over at the Atlus forums who was making covers of the SMT songs (Persona included) in piano, and I liked the results. Here's an example of his cover of Aria of the Soul. Of course, this means nothing if we can't use those too.

Pretty sure covers are fair use as long as the artist gives us permission.

Wow Marche these are fantastic, thank you for the heads up!

Levito

Banned
Most people get away with it fine, but on Armada's suggestion I've decided it would be for the best to use something that falls under fair use.

Lunar15

So this is awesome. A while ago Buddha posted a Soejima illustration that I couldn't identify, but it was clearly recent by the style it was drawn in. I've found out what it was.

In Japan, you can buy the entire series of P4A in one big box set, and the cover art is that same illustration.

Soejima is so awesome.

If that's the kind of style he wants to use for P5, I'm totally down for that. I love the washed out watercolor look.

cjkeats

Finished Infinite last night so today I picked Golden back up where I left off(loss some progress, left it for a long time).

Got to January and I'm still loving the new stuff.
lol at "Moron-ji". Taking Rise to the shrine was cute. Just built a snowman with Nanko and it was too sweet. These are the things I love about this game.

Soejima is so awesome.

For a second I saw P4A as you could buy all of the story modes from Persona 4 Arena and just watch text move along, lol.

Dantis

The Arena OT has taken such a bizarre direction. I do wonder if it'll normal out post-release though. Or maybe it'll just die, haha.

If that's the kind of style he wants to use for P5, I'm totally down for that. I love the washed out watercolor look.

It's pretty neat because the watercolour style isn't something he's done on a full illustration since his early P3 stuff, but the lineart is in line with his most current style. It's both old and new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom