• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

Sigh, another group I join that's dead. :p

Never got how people get squeamish about Steam. Then again, I always use it, so I wouldn't. /shrug

Levito

Banned
So we're doing the P4 Arena competitive fighting scene episode of S.Link on the 17th with Dacidbro, spot for 1 more. Who wants in?

Preferably someone that knows a lot about Arena and fighting games in general.

Sorry to keep spamming the OT with podcast stuff, just trying to get this done way ahead of time.

Venfayth

So we're doing the P4 Arena competitive fighting scene episode of S.Link on the 17th with Dacidbro, spot for 1 more. Who wants in?

Preferably someone that knows a lot about Arena and fighting games in general.

Sorry to keep spamming the OT with podcast stuff, just trying to get this done way ahead of time.

I can, but I'd also recommend MoTheHawk unless you've got him already.

Jintor

No issue with itunes, but we can't claim fair use on a copyrighted piece of music. And I hardly want to go back and edited a crapton of episodes or take them down entirely if a legal issue ever arises.

Basically just taking out Electronica in the Velvet Room at the end, and the velvet room music that plays when I'm doing the show intro.

The bit Jintor made stays though!

Yo if I play that shit on a piano how's that go

Sophia

Yeah, I've known about the deleted dialogue with Yosuke that implies a lover's route, although it's slipped my mind here and there. Kinda wish they had included it. All that unused dialogue seems like a pretty awesome addition.

Dantis

So apparently there's some unused audio that somewhat implies there was going to be a lovers path for Yosuke.

I might be in the minority here, but a lovers path for Yosuke could have been pretty neat.

I think it's a stretch. I can't find any references to it anywhere besides there, and I can't listen to the audio because it's been taken down.

It wouldn't have fit the character at all though, and there's never been any mention of it in any of the production materials they released.

I have a feeling that guy has found some audio, and is stretching it to fit a specific purpose.

Marche90

First time I'm reading about this, although I can't say I'm surprised. What I'm surprised about, if what I assume is right, since I haven't listened to the files, is that the audio got dubbed into English.

Also, kinda reminds me about the Junpei lovers route ending in P3P, even if that one never got dubbed.

PK Gaming

I think it's a stretch. I can't find any references to it anywhere besides there, and I can't listen to the audio because it's been taken down.

It wouldn't have fit the character at all though, and there's never been any mention of it in any of the production materials they released.

I have a feeling that guy has found some audio, and is stretching it to fit a specific purpose.

I agree that it's pure conjecture at this point, but there was definitely something going on here It could be possible that they attempted to make 2 variants of Yosuke's s.link. One where you're just friends with him, and another where you become inseparable friends with him, though I like to think they thought about making Yosuke a romance option, and cut it out before it got serious.

For reference, some of the cut lines were:

"I never knew I had such heat inside(?)", "I like you", "don't go"

I'm still bummed by the No Junpei Romance.

He's the only guy who turns FeMC down. D:

But chidori...!

Meia

Maybe.

Part of me hopes Junpei wasn't in Arena cause they didn't want to answer that definitively or not yet. Still wonder if the absence of that in The Answer is because it's not canon, or because they absolutely didn't want ANY data transferred from the Journey to the Answer. Seems like a weird thing to add in the Fes version of Persona 3, but not include a mention of it in the Answer, which makes me believe it's the latter.

And yeah, can easily see it as the reason Yosuke teases Kanji so much, just not being secure in himself. Then again, it's not unheard of for teenagers to act like that, especially your "bro" characters. :p

Happy Junpei took on the Big Bro role to the Female MC of P3P. Junpei's biggest growth occurs because of Chidori after all.

Lunar15

Question: If Arena is not mentioned explicitly in P5, can we all agree that it's not canon?

But Dantis, of course it's going to be canon. Everyone knows P5 is "Labrys and the Robot Girls With Varying Accents Squad"! It's gonna be super-robot-waifu-moe-kawaii!

Meia

Question: If Arena is not mentioned explicitly in P5, can we all agree that it's not canon?

No, stop asking and play it. :p

Not going to lie and say it is one of the biggest things I am curious about finding out about 5: Standalone completely, some hints to previous(ala 4's optional boss), or continuation. Hoping for the first one with a Persona spin-off continuing Arena personally.

Levito

Banned

Didn't you say recently that the Persona games were badly written in general recently? What does it matter if P4 Arena is canon or not if that's the case?

You Said that about P4 anyways. :p

Dantis

Didn't you say recently that the Persona games were badly written in general recently? What does it matter if P4 Arena is canon or not if that's the case?

You Said that about P4 anyways. :p

I think you're mixing things up.

I said that P4 has a pretty bad over-arching plot. Maybe that's what you mean? The writing is stellar, and I've never said otherwise.

You realize what you just said is only a few words off what a lot of deniers were saying about The Answer in P3 right?

The difference is that we know for sure that the answer is canon. Outside of Hashino saying "Arena will be a proper sequel to Persona 4", we have nothing.

Sophia

The difference is that we know for sure that the answer is canon. Outside of Hashino saying "Arena will be a proper sequel to Persona 4", we have nothing.

As usual, you're missing the point. All the people who were in denial about The Answer being non-canonical were wrong, and you will be too about P4A. :p

Dantis

As usual, you're missing the point. All the people who were in denial about The Answer being non-canonical were wrong, and you will be too about P4A. :p

Right, if it's explicitly mentioned, then I have no choice but to accept it, right?

But what if it isn't? :O

cjkeats

Unrelated - Quick does anyone have that pouty Labrys pic?

Grumpy Labby?
4h6obgL.png

Sophia

Right, if it's explicitly mentioned, then I have no choice but to accept it, right?

But what if it isn't? :O

That's what I'm saying. It won't be. This isn't a Persona: Trinity Soul situation where Atlus has flat out ignored it and it has only the loosest connections to the games.

Occam's Razor logically suggests that there is no way what so ever that Persona 4 Arena would ever in any way be declared non-canonical. You don't introduce entire plotlines just to ditch it later.

Dantis

That's what I'm saying. It won't be. This isn't a Persona: Trinity Soul situation where Atlus has flat out ignored it and it has only the loosest connections to the games.

Occam's Razor logically suggests that there is no way what so ever that Persona 4 Arena would ever in any way be declared non-canonical. You don't introduce entire plotlines just to ditch it later.

Occam's Razor suggests that for now we should assume it's canonical, at least.

I guess I'll just have to wish extra, extra hard.

Rubius

So Personagaf, I have a little question for you guys.
Just started Persona 1 Portable as my first Persona game, so far I'm in SEBEC, and all the combats I do I simply press Auto and wait for the combat to end. I sometimes have to go melee for the kids with the knives but outside of that its pretty simple. Do the game get more complicated down the road or is it a 20 hour ride like that?
Also, just got my first spell card by speaking to Cu Sith. From what I understand, I can make it into a persona? Should I speak to all the monster I encounter to try to get spell cards?

Lunar15

Do I want a follow up to P4A that addresses its loose ends? Absolutely. Should that follow up be P5? Absolutely not.

I think P5 should be a separate entity, with only passing connections to previous games. They've done well keeping things separate, tonally and plot-wise, and I see no reason for them to stop now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom