• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I just beat Persona 4 in a week. I was really busy this past year, so I waited until summer to finally get it on Vita. And holy hell, the game was just as addicting as Persona 3.

I'm wondering if Arena is worth getting. I was kind of reading the basic plot on wiki, and thought it sounded iffy. I know it's a fighting game, was just curious how it compliments the story in 4 (if it's good in that sense).

Going to order the Animation on Blu Ray and plow through those.

Yay, I was in your position 2~ months ago

-Arena: Definitely worth getting if you love Persona 4 and like fighting games. The story is a bit tedious, but it's decent if you're a huge fan of the characters / universe and the arcade mode is much more accessible.

-Anime: Supplementary material for the game. Unlike most anime > game adaptations, Persona 4: The animation is a very much a "by the book" anime (with a few exception). It's a double-edge sword since most of the content ends up being dull, but overall I liked it. The unique perspective on Yu's character makes it worth watching imo and the filler episodes are surprisingly good.

esoterika

Neo Member
Arena is great, just like your choice in avatar.
The anime is pretty iffy, but if you love 4, you'll have fun with it.

I watched the anime recently, held out until the dub had been finished to see how well it had been done (and to experience the new Teddie/Chie/Kanji). It really was fun and did great service for those who played, but I see what you mean by iffy, and I imagine anyone who hadn't played P4 might have felt a little... left out while watching. Maybe it's like what the current Devil Survivor 2 adaptation is doing to me (having not played DS2).

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Could always use more Taiga.

B7sWr6e.jpg

I'm always for the females with short brown hair. >_>

Moonlight

Banned
I just beat Persona 4 in a week. I was really busy this past year, so I waited until summer to finally get it on Vita. And holy hell, the game was just as addicting as Persona 3.

I'm wondering if Arena is worth getting. I was kind of reading the basic plot on wiki, and thought it sounded iffy. I know it's a fighting game, was just curious how it compliments the story in 4 (if it's good in that sense).

Going to order the Animation on Blu Ray and plow through those.
First and foremost, your choice in avatar is impeccable. Second of all, the plot of Arena is kinda... well, yeah. It's a tad iffy. Particularly when much of it is rather inconsistent, given the way it handles the presentation of the story. Hit or miss is a good way to describe it, although the Persona 3 stuff is generally much better presented than most of the P4 cast's stuff. It's presented in visual novel style, and most of the characters (at least on the P4 side) share the same basic story they go through, with differences mostly in perspective and narration. Honestly, Persona 4 Arena is a bit of a misnomer in terms of where the story goes. It makes for a much better companion to Persona 3 and maybe the wider Persona canon than Persona 4 itself.

As a fighting game, though, Persona 4 Arena is really quite good.

The anime by itself is mediocre, and the production quality could not be thinner, but if you can tolerate those failings, you might find it entertaining as a broad-strokes companion to the game.

cjkeats

I watched the anime recently, held out until the dub had been finished to see how well it had been done (and to experience the new Teddie/Chie/Kanji). It really was fun and did great service for those who played, but I see what you mean by iffy, and I imagine anyone who hadn't played P4 might have felt a little... left out while watching. Maybe it's like what the current Devil Survivor 2 adaptation is doing to me (having not played DS2).

I haven't seen the dub yet myself, but I hear it came out okay.
But yes, the show was plagued by staff and financial issues so the animation suffered and it shows. General anime fans don't seem to get much out of it, but people who enjoy the game get lots.
The summer episodes with Detective Nanako were the best.

Could always use more Taiga.

B7sWr6e.jpg

I prefer the Tiga in Jintors avatar. Palmtop style.

esoterika

Neo Member
But yes, the show was plagued by staff and financial issues so the animation suffered and it shows. General anime fans don't seem to get much out of it, but people who enjoy the game get lots.

Yea I enjoyed the dub, I thought they did a great job.

The transition from Troy Baker as Kanji to Matthew Mercer as Kanji (literally from ep 13 to ep 14) was so smooth and unnoticeable that I thought I had read it wrong.

cj_iwakura

The animation had some genuinely hilarious moments, almost all of which were added to the show.

Combat was enjoyable when it got down to it, but Devil Survivor 2 is blowing it away.

esoterika

Neo Member
Combat was enjoyable when it got down to it, but Devil Survivor 2 is blowing it away.

Overall or you mean in animation quality? Having not played DS2 and talking with others who haven't played it, it's turning out kind of dull for us, but it's certainly a pretty show.

Moonlight

Banned
There are a lot of words I could use to describe the Devil Survivor 2 anime, but for its' visual appeal, I can't say I have any that are kind.

Y'all need to check out Hyouka, for a proper introduction of what's pretty.

esoterika

Neo Member
There are a lot of words I could use to describe the Devil Survivor 2 anime, but for its' visual appeal, I can't say I have any that are kind.

Y'all need to check out Hyouka, for a proper introduction of what's pretty.

I love Hyouka, it's one of my favorite shows.

cj_iwakura

Overall or you mean in animation quality? Having not played DS2 and talking with others who haven't played it, it's turning out kind of dull for us, but it's certainly a pretty show.

It has some great demon summoning battles. It feels like a bonafide SMT anime. Demons interacting with characters and what not.

cjkeats

The animation had some genuinely hilarious moments, almost all of which were added to the show.

That's probably why I enjoyed it so much. Much like the game my favourite parts were the comedic bits, not the action and they did them very well.

I only watched the first episode of DS2 so far, I'm waiting till it's over. Too much on the go to watch more than OreImo this season.

Mononoke

Banned
First and foremost, your choice in avatar is impeccable. Second of all, the plot of Arena is kinda... well, yeah. It's a tad iffy. Particularly when much of it is rather inconsistent, given the way it handles the presentation of the story. Hit or miss is a good way to describe it, although the Persona 3 stuff is generally much better presented than most of the P4 cast's stuff. It's presented in visual novel style, and most of the characters (at least on the P4 side) share the same basic story they go through, with differences mostly in perspective and narration. Honestly, Persona 4 Arena is a bit of a misnomer in terms of where the story goes. It makes for a much better companion to Persona 3 and maybe the wider Persona canon than Persona 4 itself.

As a fighting game, though, Persona 4 Arena is really quite good.

The anime by itself is mediocre, and the production quality could not be thinner, but if you can tolerate those failings, you might find it entertaining as a broad-strokes companion to the game.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the nice comments about my avatar, as well as all the advice that was given. I did not know that the animation was flimsy in production. I'm still going to watch it, but I appreciate the heads up. I will lower my expectations, because truth be told - I thought the animation was something a different (in terms of the scope/quality of the production). So I'm really glad that I mentioned that here.

I'm going to get Arena, since I have a lot of free time this summer (first time in 8 months I've actually had time). So I look forward to it, at least for the fighting game sake. My only fear (and I know this might sound silly) - is that the Arena game would mess with the cannon plot. Er what I mean is, I actually loved the ending to Persona 4....but wanted more. But in my head I figured, if I ever saw these characters again, it would be years later, and they would be united to fight some new threat. I know a sequel like that would never happen. But point is, Arena takes place fairly soon after 4 ends. So it's..kind of an extension of the end. So my fear was that whatever it provides, could be worse than what I got at the end of 4 (in terms of closure).

I am...definitely over thinking this. I want more Persona in my life, and I'm sure I will enjoy it.

I've played every game in the series now, but that's it. Can any of you guys recommend me anything else related to the series that I could collect. I want to get the Persona 4 and 3 soundtrack next. I have no idea if there is anything else related (is there any good reading?). I've only stuck strictly to the games, my brother got me into them.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the nice comments about my avatar, as well as all the advice that was given. I did not know that the animation was flimsy in production. I'm still going to watch it, but I appreciate the heads up. I will lower my expectations, because truth be told - I thought the animation was something a different (in terms of the scope/quality of the production). So I'm really glad that I mentioned that here.

I'm going to get Arena, since I have a lot of free time this summer (first time in 8 months I've actually had time). So I look forward to it, at least for the fighting game sake. My only fear (and I know this might sound silly) - is that the Arena game would mess with the cannon plot. Er what I mean is, I actually loved the ending to Persona 4, and wanted more. But in my head I figured, if ever saw these characters again, it would be years later, and they would be united to fight some new threat. I know a sequel like that would never happen. But point is, Arena takes place fairly soon after 4 ends. So it's..kind of an extension of the end. So my fear was that whatever it provides, would be worse than what I got.

I am...definitely over thinking this. I want more Persona in my life, and I'm sure I will enjoy it.

I've played every game in the series now, but that's it. Can any of you guys recommend me anything else related to the series that I could collect. I want to get the Persona 4 and 3 soundtrack next.

What do you think of every game in the series? I am curious. If you are REALLY desperate for more things with the words Persona in them, MAYBE...maybe not...try watching Persona: Trinity Soul. I reccomend trying other games in the Megaten series though. Maybe Devil Survivor?

cjkeats

I'm going to get Arena, since I have a lot of free time this summer (first time in 8 months I've actually had time). So I look forward to it, at least for the fighting game sake. My only fear (and I know this might sound silly) - is that the Arena game would mess with the cannon plot. Er what I mean is, I actually loved the ending to Persona 4, and wanted more. But in my head I figured, if ever saw these characters again, it would be years later, and they would be united to fight some new threat. I know a sequel like that would never happen. But point is, Arena takes place fairly soon after 4 ends. So it's..kind of an extension of the end. So my fear was that whatever it provides, would be worse than what I got.

I've played every game in the series now, but that's it. Can any of you guys recommend me anything else related to the series that I could collect. I want to get the Persona 4 and 3 soundtrack next.

The live concerts. There are three of them. Not sure if they are all on BD(Or what region you are in for that matter), but last years is and is delightful. They are also on YouTube, but if you want to collect them you can't go wrong.

Levito

Banned
Uh woah hi guys. Discovered NeoGAF through the slink FM podcast, only to find that I apparently made an account a year ago. I'm esoteric from the Atlus forums and the dude who makes the SMT piano arrangements over at my youtube account.

Anyways browsing the various threads and forums and thought I would say hi. Hope to be participating all threads Megaten.

Glad to see you've joined us, Mr. Farrell!

Venfayth

Uh woah hi guys. Discovered NeoGAF through the slink FM podcast, only to find that I apparently made an account a year ago. I'm esoteric from the Atlus forums and the dude who makes the SMT piano arrangements over at my youtube account.

Anyways browsing the various threads and forums and thought I would say hi. Hope to be participating all threads Megaten.

Welcome :)

Jintor

Yea I enjoyed the dub, I thought they did a great job.

The transition from Troy Baker as Kanji to Matthew Mercer as Kanji (literally from ep 13 to ep 14) was so smooth and unnoticeable that I thought I had read it wrong.

what

I've only seen a few youtube versions of some scenes from the summer vacation but whaaaaaaaattttttttttttttttt

Young Magus

Welcome to Persona GAF!!!

By the way I love the rendition of the last world theme from Nocturne.

Dantis

Gosh, you're all so active lately. I waske up to like 100 new posts every morning at the moment.

I started The Great Gatsby. It's good! I got about a quarter of the way in.

Your piano music is amazing. Welcome to PersonaGAF.

Welcome to Persona GAF!!!

By the way I love the rendition of the last world theme from Nocturne.

This is one of my favourites too. Love the original track also. And Brahman.

EDIT: Just saw the Arrested Development season 4 trailer. SO HYPE.

Jintor

Gosh, you're all so active lately. I waske up to like 100 new posts every morning at the moment.

I started The Great Gatsby. It's good! I got about a quarter of the way in.

Gotta finish this book on brands, then scarlet letter, then some Sagan, then brave new world, then something on journalism, THEN i'll get around to gatsby

As someone who doesn't watch anime very often (read: ever) I thought the P4 Animation was great. Watched it as I was going through the game for the first time as well, making sure to stay an ep behind of where I was. Very much encourage watching the dub as it's well done. I noticed some lackluster/lazy animation quality but other than that I felt it was really enjoyable. Yu is a deadpan proswagonist extraordinaire.

Kazzy

As someone who doesn't watch anime very often (read: ever) I thought the P4 Animation was great. Watched it as I was going through the game for the first time as well, making sure to stay an ep behind of where I was. Very much encourage watching the dub as it's well done. I noticed some lackluster/lazy animation quality but other than that I felt it was really enjoyable. Yu is a deadpan proswagonist extraordinaire.

It is a fun watch, though I can understand why not everyone will like it.

It's reliant on your knowledge of the games plot, as much of it works through references and allusions, rather than its own storytelling. There is no doubt that as it's own thing, it is bad, but it was made for fans. It's failing are quite apparent, but I still found enough to keep me satisfied.

Also, all this Hyouka appreciation always warms my heart!

Welcome back! Very nice music esoterika, let's do a collab song together :)

And by collab, I mean really dumb shit like this song I wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBWHRRtvDbg

Hello, and welcome to ballertown. I'm ScraftyDevil from the latest episode of the podcast (y'know, the guy who rambled on about Junpei and demons for like twenty minutes). I bet you'll fit right in around here. L

Marche90

Late to the party, but welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay here. Needless to say, but your renditions are excellent. I'm waiting to see which track you play and upload next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom