• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squire

Banned
I'd disagree with that, but regardless why would be using the sticks for a FIGHTING GAME?

I don't have a fight stick :/ But my preference for controller sticks is down to the 360's being concave and the PS3's being convex. Totally a taste thing.

Noi

Played Catherine for the first time tonight, made it past the Torture Chamber. This game's atmosphere is great.

I did it on stream, so I'll link to the archive of it once twitch is done working on it.

I don't like that shitty, past-it's-prime, Fisher Price feeling controller.

You do realize this means war.

Trigger

Played Catherine for the first time tonight, made it past the Torture Chamber. This game's atmosphere is great.

I did it on stream, so I'll link to the archive of it once twitch is done working on it.

I've been replaying it myself. The game's style is soooo goood.

Noi

...and you waited this long to play the GOTY because?...

I've been busy! I managed to pick up the game during last year's holiday blitz, but I'd still been playing catch up with other games. I finished off my HD collections last week, so tonight felt like a good night to start on Catherine~

Edit: Twitch done, archive here.

Esura

Banned
I'd disagree with that, but regardless why would be using the sticks for a FIGHTING GAME?

People use all sorts of stuff to play fighters. I've seen some beasty people on keyboards, on analogs (I think Wolfkrone used analogs), heck even those Hitboxes.

So I'm trading PSP games with a friend, I'm giving him Crisis Core FF7 and he is giving me Persona 2 IS PSP.
What to expect? Will I enjoy this if I enjoyed Persona 3/ Strange Journey/ Devil Survivor 1 & 2?

Soma

Alright so I'm a few hours into Persona 2: IS (right now
I just beat Hanya i'm just running around the Zodiac club at the moment
).

Couple first impressions:

- The story so far is pretty interesting. The whole
rumors becoming reality
concept is really ambitious and I'm eager to see where this game takes it.

- The Joker seems like a good villain so far and there seems to be quite a bit of depth to him especially with the whole
thing with the MC apparently having some connection with him

- I like the characters introduced so far. I'd say Ginko and Eikichi are my favorites at the moment though I haven't really seen much from the others to really comment on them. I definitely see the comparisons to Chie when it comes to Ginko though she's an entertaining character in her own right. Eikichi is a lot more entertaining than I was expecting.

- Before I would see all these comments about the game mechanics and how apparently terrible they are (maybe I'm just confusing that with Persona 1) but I'm actually enjoying them. Maybe it's because I've been playing older PS1 games like BoF IV and Valkyrie Profile lately but I'm kinda digging the battle system and the isometric viewpoint. That said, I'd take the modern battle system seen in 3 and 4 over this one, however...

- I'm having too much fun walking around floors and having conversations and negotiations with demons. Such a cool aspect of this game and I'd really love to see the next Persona game bring this back.

- I feel like I haven't really been making use of The Velvet Room as much as I should. I've been collecting cards but haven't really been able to create any new personas yet. Is that normal this early on?

Sophia

- The Joker seems like a good villain so far and there seems to be quite a bit of depth to him especially with the whole
thing with the MC apparently having some connection with him

You're in for a treat if you like the Joker so far. The villains absolutely make the plot of Persona 2.

Tiktaalik

Haha wtf I can invite koromaru to the movies?! Bizarre. Worth doing? I'm trying to get with Yukari. Will I have tons of other opportunities to ask her out?

Haha wtf I can invite koromaru to the movies?! Bizarre. Worth doing? I'm trying to get with Yukari. Will I have tons of other opportunities to ask her out?

Each person has one specific day iirc that you can take them to the movies. I didn't go with Yukari so I don't know what day that'd be, but it's one person per day, each day is different.

That said, take Koromaru, it will be fun

Mew2

Neo Member
Just curious, I started up Persona 3 Portable and have the choice between male and female

I am a fan of playing female characters (especially if they are cute) but I don't want to meet guy characters and not be able to have a relationship with the girl characters in the story if I choose the girl.

What are the differences between them? Thanks guys! Really excited about this (first game for me in the series)

Dantis

Yup, almost all of us have it on PS3.

I'm all for doing a lobby. I haven't played in awhile, and my skills with Aigis need some polishing. :D

Actually I'd play right now if I had the time. >_>;

Good stuff. I was planning on renting the PS3 version anyway because I don't have Live.

I might main Labrys just to be ironic.

I don't like that shitty, past-it's-prime, Fisher Price feeling controller.

The Dual Shock? Agreed.

The 360 pad is built with ergonomic design in mind, the Dual Shock is built with lame-ass fanboyism in mind.

Squire

Banned
I'm actually kind of hopeful for the DS4. If they're really adding s touch pad then the controller will have to expand a little. That's a great improvement to start. Hopefully the sticks are concave. I'd mention proper triggers, but well, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Sophia

Good stuff. I was planning on renting the PS3 version anyway because I don't have Live.

I might main Labrys just to be ironic.

You might be surprised. Shadow Labrys is fun to play and nothing like your usual pet-style characters in a fighting game. She's also less heavy of a character than normal Labrys.

I'm actually kind of hopeful for the DS4. If they're really adding s touch pad then the controller will have to expand a little. That's a great improvement to start. Hopefully the sticks are concave. I'd mention proper triggers, but well, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Proper triggers and the Vita's D-Pad/button design (except larger for the buttons) is all I want. That would make it the perfect controller.

suzu

Just curious, I started up Persona 3 Portable and have the choice between male and female

I am a fan of playing female characters (especially if they are cute) but I don't want to meet guy characters and not be able to have a relationship with the girl characters in the story if I choose the girl.

What are the differences between them? Thanks guys! Really excited about this (first game for me in the series)

You can't date girls as the female protagonist, but you can be friends with them. You can also stay strictly friends with the guys too, if you don't want to go down a romance path with them.

Some of the characters that you can form social links with are different from the male protagonist. Also the male is the canon choice.

Dantis

You might be surprised. Shadow Labrys is fun to play and nothing like your usual pet-style characters in a fighting game. She's also less heavy of a character than normal Labrys.

I'll probably just hit random. I'm obviously going to be mega-pro anyway, right? So I can play as anyone.

Proper triggers and the Vita's D-Pad/button design (except larger for the buttons) is all I want. That would make it the perfect controller.

I want the handle bits (No idea what the proper name for them would be...) to be more ergonomic, so that it forms to your hand, like the 360 pad.

Dantis

Real men wing it.

Also, just checked the Persona Arena Facebook page, and it seems Zen still haven't got the 360 version. Factoring in printing times and the like, it's going to be, what, April before it's out here? It's almost impressive how badly Atlus JP has managed to cock this up. It's also really unfortunate for the few people who are still actively excited for it.

Mew2

Neo Member
You can't date girls as the female protagonist, but you can be friends with them. You can also stay strictly friends with the guys too, if you don't want to go down a romance path with them.

Some of the characters that you can form social links with are different from the male protagonist. Also the male is the canon choice.

Thanks! I went with the guy...haha hopefully the romance side is interesting!

All you people who say the 360 Dpad sucks probably never played with the newer ones with the transformable Dpad. Vita has the best Dpad in a long time tho.

I think I will get it if enough of y'all are gonna play.

Sophia

All you people who say the 360 Dpad sucks probably never played with the newer ones with the transformable Dpad. Vita has the best Dpad in a long time tho.

I haven't played with the newer ones I admit, but I have a Fightpad for that stuff so... :p

Dantis

The transformable one is still inferior to the PS3 one though. I rented Catherine for the 360 and was shocked how much tougher it was to play with the 360 D Pad. My block-pushing-skills were decimated.

Uncle AJ

P4A Score Attack is sadistic, but it's nice having something to come back to when I'm bored. Furthest I've gotten is Aigis (9th) and I lost in a really stupid way. Kanji always ends up being the one I may or may not get past.

Noi

It'd be one thing to have a Score Attack trophy for beating it with just one character. Sadistic, but much more doable eventually. Doing it with EVERY character? LOL NO

The Dual Shock? Agreed.

The 360 pad is built with ergonomic design in mind, the Dual Shock is built with lame-ass fanboyism in mind.

And I think the 360 controller is god awful.

FOREVER MY SHADOW.

(I'm totally ok with playing P4A with ya'll when the time comes.)

Uncle AJ

(I'm totally ok with playing P4A with ya'll when the time comes.)

Are you stuck in the UK boat with Dantis? Well both of you guys let me know if you want to play or learn some stuff. No one in my local FGC plays Labrys so it would be good to get that matchup experience.

Noi

Are you stuck in the UK boat with Dantis? Well both of you guys let me know if you want to play or learn some stuff. No one in my local FGC plays Labrys so it would be good to get that matchup experience.

Oh no, I have the game already. (And main Labrys!) Dantis is one of the few in the EU boat.

Taruranto

- I like the characters introduced so far. I'd say Ginko and Eikichi are my favorites at the moment though I haven't really seen much from the others to really comment on them. I definitely see the comparisons to Chie when it comes to Ginko though she's an entertaining character in her own right. Eikichi is a lot more entertaining than I was expecting.

The characters definitely make P2. During the course of the two games, you'll learn everything about them, their dreams, pasts, about their families, their relationships with each others, etc.

Ah, P2 really rewards you for talking with Party Members and NPCs between one dungeon and another, with extra bits of characterization and foreshadowing. I highly suggest it.

- Before I would see all these comments about the game mechanics and how apparently terrible they are (maybe I'm just confusing that with Persona 1) but I'm actually enjoying them. Maybe it's because I've been playing older PS1 games like BoF IV and Valkyrie Profile lately but I'm kinda digging the battle system and the isometric viewpoint. That said, I'd take the modern battle system seen in 3 and 4 over this one, however...

- I'm having too much fun walking around floors and having conversations and negotiations with demons. Such a cool aspect of this game and I'd really love to see the next Persona game bring this back.

Honestly, having replayed P2 recently, i started to think people who criticize P2 gameplay so much really just didn't bother trying to learn it. (Or simply were disappointed that the game didn't play like 3-4)

This said, personally i'd wait contacting demons and such until you are further into the game, do it now, but not too much. You don't get too many cards early on, and your objective should be to get as many free tarots as you can.

(to get these:
Contract a demon, then Yellow him 3 times. He'll give his cards + some free tarots. During the second half of the game they'll give you something like 40-50 free tarots per contact, making tarots grinding much faster.)

- I feel like I haven't really been making use of The Velvet Room as much as I should. I've been collecting cards but haven't really been able to create any new personas yet. Is that normal this early on?

The Velvet Room isn't really important in IS unfortunately (especially if you are playing the PSP version), EP on other hand offers plenty of customization options.

The characters definitely make P2. During the course of the two games, you'll learn everything about them, their dreams, pasts, about their families, their relationships with each others, etc.

Ah, P2 really rewards you for talking with Party Members and NPCs between one dungeon and another, with extra bits of characterization and foreshadowing. I highly suggest it.

Honestly, having replayed P2 recently, i started to think people who criticize P2 gameplay so much really just didn't bother trying to learn it. (Or simply were disappointed that the game didn't play like 3-4)

This said, personally i'd wait contacting demons and such until you are further into the game, do it now, but not too much. You don't get too many cards early on, and your objective should be to get as many free tarots as you can.

(to get these:
Contract a demon, then Yellow him 3 times. He'll give his cards + some free tarots. During the second half of the game they'll give you something like 40-50 free tarots per contact, making tarots grinding much faster.)

The Velvet Room isn't really important in IS unfortunately (especially if you are playing the PSP version), EP on other hand offers plenty of customization options.

Remember when Persona resonance was a thing and they removed it in p3 only to randomly add it back as the reason for p4a Mitsuru's outfit?

If p4 had Persona resonance, it would have been over in 20 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom