• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's a greek word

What does it mean, though? Is it just a corruption of aegis or does it have its own definition?

EDIT: Another page, another pic:

Junpei9.jpg

Sophia

I've always wondered: Is the name "Aigis" just a mistranslation of the word "Aegis," or does it have a higher meaning which I'm not seeing?

Aigis is the original Greek form of "Aegis" romanized. Atlus went with that because everyone in their studio was pronouncing "Aegis" wrong. :p

Translation guy in the panel says it was another authorised spelling of the term in English as well

Correct. "Aigis" is the preferred academic spelling.

Dantis

OT Title Vote:

OT2 | Reaching Out To Persona 5.

OT2 | It's Time To Make History. And Persona 5. (1)

OT2 | Pursuing my True Sequel. (8)

OT2 | Eternal Punishment. (1)

Persona Community Thread |OT2| - New World Fools

Persona Community Thread |OT2| - Next Week... On Famitsu...

Persona Community Thread |OT2| - Burn My Thread (10)

Persona Community Thread |OT2| - Sexy Android Waifu High School Power Hour

Persona 3/4 Community Thread |OT2| And sometimes the spinoff games too! (1)

PersonaGAF OT2 - Stick to the IRC And You'll Be Fine (1)

Will update as votes come in.

EDIT: Votes collected from: Dantis, Sophia, Deadpool940, Inorigo, Smedwicks, cjkeats, Omikaru, Moonlight, Trigger, Levito, ScraftyDevil, Lollipop Dave, JohnLacke, Meia, Buddha0991, MagusKen, Jintor, TWILT, Marche90, PK Gaming, Watanabe Kazuma, thequickandthedead

Burn My Thread is winning because Sophia and Deadpool are horrible people.

*cough*

Omikaru

I'm changing my vote to "Burn My Thread".

I'm actually serious. I was meant to do it last night but I was tired and forgot.

FluxWaveZ

I actually read it a while back when someone I followed posted the entire manga on tumblr. I really ended up liking it, but that could be due to my immense bias towards Yosuke and Yu (both of whom who get immense exposure). The manga really drove the point home that Yosuke's this massively awkward teen he's clumsily trying to get through life.

I was ambivalent towards his old friend though.

Didn't care for the old friend as well, but the way how it fleshed out Yosuke's character totally reminded me of his chapter in Persona 4 Arena. More Persona "origin" stories would be pretty cool.

coopolon

I am playing fes and when I cast maragi against a group of fire-sensitive enemies I am not getting "1 more". And it's not because "all out attack" is coming up because I normally miss one of the four.

When you hit multiple enemies weak points at once do you not get "1 more"?

Meia

I am playing fes and when I cast maragi against a group of fire-sensitive enemies I am not getting "1 more". And it's not because "all out attack" is coming up because I normally miss one of the four.

When you hit multiple enemies weak points at once do you not get "1 more"?

All or nothing. Unlike 4 where if you exploit one enemy's weakness you get 1 more, if you fail to hit one's weakness, that turn ends.

coopolon

The One More system in FES is a little different to P4 and P3P

All or nothing. Unlike 4 where if you exploit one enemy's weakness you get 1 more, if you fail to hit one's weakness, that turn ends.

Ahh, thanks guys, I am used to p3p. Out of curiosity, are single target spells less likely to miss? Wondering if it is better to target each individual enemy rather than all of them then, especially because unlike on p3p, in fes I can always just teleport to the entrance to get sp back.

Meia

I *think* it's a case of RNG being RNG, but I could have sworn AoE versions always had a lower hit chance than singles. It's possible since AoE can be a SP-saver. Of course, as you said, SP managing isn't as big a deal.

coopolon

I *think* it's a case of RNG being RNG, but I could have sworn AoE versions always had a lower hit chance than singles. It's possible since AoE can be a SP-saver. Of course, as you said, SP managing isn't as big a deal.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is rng?

Venfayth

Sorry for my ignorance but what is rng?

RNG = Random Number Generator

If someone says something 'is' RNG, what they mean is that it's something that's determined by chance. If something is more RNG then it is more luck based, etc.

In this case Meia means that in his experience skills that hit multiple targets seem to have a higher chance of missing each individual target (which I believe is true, as a general rule), but it's possible his luck may be skewing that view.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

This list actually shows the accuracy values of all skills, so you can check and compare if you want :B

Meia

No worries, using too many mmo terms.

RNG = random number generator

Usage in this form just means that it seems like it misses a lot because it's just a flat out random chance.

Beaten typing up reasoning that I then edited out, so might as well throw it back in.

You can hit 10 times in a row, or miss 10 times in a row. In this case, it could just be simply a matter of counting each fire hit for example. I use Agi 8 times, and 6 of them hit. I use Maragi 2 times against 4 enemies weak to fire, and both times it hits 3 of 4, so fail the all-out both times. It's the same hit %, but the latter hurts more, so it makes it seem like it has a lower chance cause it stands out more. Though looking at that list, it seems AoE versions are very very slightly less accurate.

coopolon

No worries, using too many mmo terms.

RNG = random number generator

Usage in this form just means that it seems like it misses a lot because it's just a flat out random chance.

Beaten typing up reasoning that I then edited out, so might as well throw it back in.

You can hit 10 times in a row, or miss 10 times in a row. In this case, it could just be simply a matter of counting each fire hit for example. I use Agi 8 times, and 6 of them hit. I use Maragi 2 times against 4 enemies weak to fire, and both times it hits 3 of 4, so fail the all-out both times. It's the same hit %, but the latter hurts more, so it makes it seem like it has a lower chance cause it stands out more. Though looking at that list, it seems AoE versions are very very slightly less accurate.

RNG = Random Number Generator

If someone says something 'is' RNG, what they mean is that it's something that's determined by chance. If something is more RNG then it is more luck based, etc.

In this case Meia means that in his experience skills that hit multiple targets seem to have a higher chance of missing each individual target (which I believe is true, as a general rule), but it's possible his luck may be skewing that view.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Persona_4_Skills

This list actually shows the accuracy values of all skills, so you can check and compare if you want :B

Thanks again!

This thread is awesome, I don't understand about 90% of what is going on since i've only played the first third of p3 and haven't even touched p4, but everyone is so helpful!

Only because the IRC guys asked so nicely. Warning for crassness and vulgarity:

buddha0991 Lemstar "hey thanks for listening to me talk about stuff wanna fuck"
buddha0991 thats how almost all the girl links are
buddha0991 i talked to you 8 times alone
buddha0991 my pussy is yours

-Cue everyone laughing their asses off-

They really need to fix that for P5

This, if it is a little crass, plus, they stop talking to you after rank 10, they almost never hang out with their other friends or with anyone else, each slink exists in a bubble, and when that bubble is burst, you cut all contact with that person.

cjkeats

This, if it is a little crass, plus, they stop talking to you after rank 10, they almost never hang out with their other friends or with anyone else, each slink exists in a bubble, and when that bubble is burst, you cut all contact with that person.

Gotta agree with you. The whole "done hanging out with you now" thing after rank ten always bugs me, especially for the girlfriends. I'd like the others to be aware of your relationships with other people too.

PK Gaming

To be fair, in P4G you can still hang out with them after you've maxed out the social link. Plus there are night-time events as well.

Redo the social link system so there are no ranks. Problem solved!

Easier said than done. Gotta draw the line somewhere, can't have an infinite number of scenarios without repeats... Plus how else would they calculate the exp boost given to personas?

Having more than one route sounds good though. The normal friendship route seemed fine, but then I saw the lovers route ones while watching GiantBomb's endurance run. They're so tacked on.

CHARLIE GIVE HUG

Astra

Gotta agree with you. The whole "done hanging out with you now" thing after rank ten always bugs me, especially for the girlfriends. I'd like the others to be aware of your relationships with other people too.

Well, we've hung out ten times, and the mysterious voice in my head tells me we have a bond that can't be broken. I've no motivation to hang out with you any longer. Have a nice life!

Sophia

Easier said than done. Gotta draw the line somewhere, can't have an infinite number of scenarios without repeats... Plus how else would they calculate the exp boost given to personas?

Sure you can, if the game is still on a global timer like P3 and P4 were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom