• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjkeats

Well, we've hung out ten times, and the mysterious voice in my head tells me we have a bond that can't be broken. I've no motivation to hang out with you any longer. Have a nice life!

Yukiko, you know I'm going out with Chie right? Like, she told you, right? Why are you coming on to me? Oh okay then, I'm sure you guys must have some kind of agreement, lets smang it gurl.

Astra

Sure you can, if the game is still on a global timer like P3 and P4 were.

It'd work especially well for your party members, since they could just talk about what's going on at any given point in the story. Flesh the rest of it out with random banter, kind of like how the night scenes are for P4G.

It'd be especially good if you were dating one of them, and other members would talk about it. Also stop MC from being a whore and limit him/her to one significant other, and allow your other party members to date eachother, or other schoolmates.

If they're going to go with social sim aspects, then they might as well include the other characters, and give them a life.

Yukiko, you know I'm going out with Chie right? Like, she told you, right? Why are you coming on to me? Oh okay then, I'm sure you guys must have some kind of agreement, lets smang it gurl.

Yukiko and Chie come as a pair, though. That's just the way it is.

At least they do make you feel like a bit of a dick in Golden on Valentine's Day.

Sure you can, if the game is still on a global timer like P3 and P4 were.
Wait, what do you mean by global timer? And how can you have an infinite number of scenarios when you've gotta create them all and program them into the game?
Yeah this definitely makes no sense. I see what you guys mean by that vacuum thing now.

Sophia

Wait, what do you mean by global timer? And how can you have an infinite number of scenarios when you've gotta create them all and program them into the game?

You don't need an infinite number of scenarios when your game progresses in real time on a daily calendar system. Like Persona 3 and Persona 4 do?

Ohh I see, because there's only so many days? That's still a lot to put in though, right? And how would they power up personas without ranks?

Astra

Ohh I see, because there's only so many days? That's still a lot to put in though, right? And how would they power up personas without ranks?

It would be a hell of a lot of content to write for 20 or so social links. If anything, it'd only be done for the main cast, and even then it's still a lot. Though it's not like each hang out has to have a substantial amount of content.
Hell, even some of the social link ranks consist only of a couple of paragraphs of dialogue.

Plus still have ranks, just be able to still hang out and see new things after rank 10.

Yeah, add in all the other suggestions to improve social links too and it becomes even more unfeasible. Branching paths, reverse links, non-friendship links, having a choice between a male or female MC and how that would change dialogue... It's an unfortunate immersion breaker, and I'm sure improvements will be made in P5 of course, just how so I dunno though. It's an RPG with social sim elements, not a complete social sim after all.

Squire

Banned
dGORxWb.jpg

w32idZS.jpg

AND

ye3LRcQ.jpg

Azs3HJ2.jpg

Yeah, add in all the other suggestions to improve social links too and it becomes even more unfeasible. Branching paths, reverse links, non-friendship links, having a choice between a male or female MC and how that would change dialogue... It's an unfortunate immersion breaker, and I'm sure improvements will be made in P5 of course, just how so I dunno though. It's an RPG with social sim elements, not a complete social sim after all.

Which is why I prefered if they'd find some other solution to the social stuff problems or don't focus so much on it.

Cheddahz

Banned
I ended up fusing Trumpeter, getting all of the skills for my party, and I was able to defeat
Ameno-sagiri
with ease! Thanks to everyone who helped me with the battle

Which is why I prefered if they'd find some other solution to the social stuff problems or don't focus so much on it.
I'm more concerned that they'll break it than anything. I'd be fine with it staying just like it is, if need be.
Yeah, it works as it is and people like it despite the imperfections. They can keep on improving on it, but I doubt they could ever go all out. Focusing on it less isn't going to help. As for a different solution? *shrug* Who knows what they could come up with? I can't see it drastically changing though.

Cheddahz

Banned
Oh... you're not quite done yet.

I know, I know, but I was stuck on the battle for a week, so it feels good to finally get some progress in the game
I max out Marie's Social Link, so now I have to go to the Hollow Forest to rescue her

Squire

Banned
I'm more concerned that they'll break it than anything. I'd be fine with it staying just like it is, if need be.

It's good they way it is. They can improve it and I expect them to. What you're not gonna get is a full-on emulation of reality.

In criticizing the S. Link system don't lose sight of the fact Atlus is beating the competition with this stuff. And that has to do with the mechanics and more the writing.

You can make your "fuck at SLink 8!" jokes, but they're totally reductive and don't reflect how the system actually works.

Dantis

Girl gets embarrassed! Blush happens.
And no, blushing Yukiko is the worst.

I find blushing anime girls with knocked knees and "Don't look at me, Senpai!" poses in sexually provocative clothing gross in general, regardless of character.

It's good they way it is. They can improve it and I expect them to. What you're not gonna get is a full-on emulation of reality.

In criticizing the S. Link system don't lose sight of the fact Atlus is beating the competition with this stuff. And that has to do with the mechanics and more the writing.

You can make your "fuck at SLink 8!" jokes, but they're totally reductive and don't reflect how the system actually works.

Pretty much. It comes down to what's feasible. What we have in Persona 4 is what was feasible. What we have in Persona 3 is what was feasible. It's not like they said "We'll cut it off at rank 10 and then take a four month break from development".

I feel like it gives the writers an opportunity to tell some amazing stories. There's so much character in all the S Links that it really adds something to the game. Removing the system due to the constraints (Constraints that I don't think are too significant, no less) doesn't seem logical to me.

Meia

Yukiko and Chie come as a pair, though. That's just the way it is.

At least they do make you feel like a bit of a dick in Golden on Valentine's Day.

Not for me they didn't. Was one of my favorite events of Golden because of that. Solo with Chie, and Yukiko, gasp, SUPPORTED HER. LIKE HOLY HELL. Also liked Yosuke poking at Chie. Actually, screw it, any time that bubble burst and people were aware of what was happening with relationships is how it should be.

That's what needs to happen more in a future system. And there are ways to tie it into the main story as well. If you're in a relationship, what if they're put in mortal peril near the end? If not, the token bro of the game is. How about if some huge event happens in the game that should have the MC tearing his hair out(P4
COUGH EMPTY HOUSE IN NOVEMBER/DECEMBER COUGH
) people actually come by to try and cheer you up?

The game has some great character interaction during story scenes. The bubble actually takes you out of the game a bit, and is the biggest problem with the system.

Squire

Banned
Pretty much. It comes down to what's feasible. What we have in Persona 4 is what was feasible. What we have in Persona 3 is what was feasible. It's not like they said "We'll cut it off at rank 10 and then take a four month break from development".

I feel like it gives the writers an opportunity to tell some amazing stories. There's so much character in all the S Links that it really adds something to the game. Removing the system due to the constraints (Constraints that I don't think are too significant, no less) doesn't seem logical to me.

Pretty much. We made the novel comparison on the podcast and ultimately S. Links are these personal stories and journeys that you experience chapter by chapter. There's variation in how you get there, but the point is you get there. The character gets there.

And player choice must be acknowledged. If you don't want to date all the girls, then do what I do and don't. It's a little silly to keep slamming Atlus for that when it's a choice. Not to mention contradictory. You want more dynamism? That's a part of it.

PK Gaming

Not for me they didn't. Was one of my favorite events of Golden because of that. Solo with Chie, and Yukiko, gasp, SUPPORTED HER. LIKE HOLY HELL. Also liked Yosuke poking at Chie. Actually, screw it, any time that bubble burst and people were aware of what was happening with relationships is how it should be.

That was such a sweet scene, oh god. That, and the following Valentines day beach trip was great. Does a similar thing happen if you date Yukiko?

I would accept ultra hard dungeons with the hardest enemies that require absolute max personae and mastery of game mechanics to conquer as dlc :p

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I find it funny that people complain about the 'no longer want to hang out after 10' thing but then everyone hates NIKO IT IS YOUR COUSIN ROMAN

because that is what you'd get if they changed that.

Sophia

I find it funny that people complain about the 'no longer want to hang out after 10' thing but then everyone hates NIKO IT IS YOUR COUSIN ROMAN

because that is what you'd get if they changed that.

You could always turn the phone off in GTA, so I was never bothered by that.

Squire

Banned
I really hope they realise how much there is to cash in on from their other games. P3 and P4 casual and uniforms, DDS (Embryon) outfits, SMT4 outfits etc.

Yeah, I was thinking how cool it would be to get Demonica suits.

Yu not having a Serph outfit is money left on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom