• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astra

I'd mark Valkyria Chronicles down because I take issue with the grading system. I'm not gonna detract because I dislike the text font or because the game makes you shoot with the R1 button and I wanna use R2; minor things like that don't detract from the experience and only bother the obsessive and hyper sensitive.

I hated the rating system in VC. Speed over tactics. Some stages you had to rely on luck, rather than tactics to get the highest rank. The hardest setting was especially difficult, but I managed to get the top rank in each stage. After plenty of reloading in some levels where luck was the deciding factor.

Squire

Banned
I hated the rating system in VC. Speed over tactics. Some stages you had to rely on luck, rather than tactics to get the highest rank. The hardest setting was especially difficult, but I managed to get the top rank in each stage. After plenty of reloading in some levels where luck was the deciding factor.

Exactly. It just contradicts the gameplay altogether.

cj_iwakura

I agree with you, but it's all about the specific issues you have and how big they are. If I'm reviewing a game I'm not gonna mark it down for negligible, very minor flaws that I know I'm likely to obsess over.

I'd mark Valkyria Chronicles down because I take issue with the grading system. I'm not gonna detract because I dislike the text font or because the game makes you shoot with the R1 button and I wanna use R2; minor things like that don't detract from the experience and only bother the obsessive and hyper sensitive.

But I could agree with your self-assessment. I mean, most people who took the time to review P2: IS gave it ~6/10 and you made it seem like the game was slaughtered by critics XD

But yeah, reviews. I'm not one of those people against scores, but if you're interested in reading reviews... read them. Find critics you like. They're out there. Don't listen to people like Keiichi (ie people that talk out if their asses and don't actually read any of the writing they're so critical of).

Reviews never influence what I buy. There's games I love that critics universally loathe, and vice-versa. I just hate when bad reviews scare people off from great games en masse, i.e. Innocent Sin.

Reviews never influence what I buy. There's games I love that critics universally loathe, and vice-versa. I just hate when bad reviews scare people off from great games en masse, i.e. Innocent Sin.

Or Eternal Punishment.

tumblr_m44fgyYoWT1qfi5lzo1_1280.png

Squire

Banned

I agree. If anything, mixed reception should make someone more interested in a game.

Squire

Banned
Truth. I still regret not playing Rule of Rose back during the "controversy" even though everyone says the gameplay is lacking.
It's impossible to get a decently priced copy

The last generation was ripe with games like that. I guess every generation before this one was. Weirdness is criminally underrated now.

That's what got me to play Asura's Wrath.
It was a really long episode of Dragon Ball Z

I should play that.

cjkeats

I need to finish AW. I loved it, but exams happened as I was playing it. It's something alright.

The best way to play anime.

cj_iwakura

Truth. I still regret not playing Rule of Rose back during the "controversy" even though everyone says the gameplay is lacking.
It's impossible to get a decently priced copy

Lacking is putting it nicely. The gameplay is horrible.

You play that game for the story and atmosphere. Hell, you might be better off watching it.
I own a copy, because I figured it would become a commodity at some point. Not entirely sure why mind you.

You play that game for the story and atmosphere. Hell, you might be better off watching it.
I own a copy, because I figured it would become a commodity at some point. Not entirely sure why mind you.

Hmm, maybe I will watch it. You were right about it becoming a commodity, I guess. I though P3 would be hard to find by now and scooped up a copy of FES quickly, but then BAM cult hit!

Necrovex

I went to a Drag Queen show last night, and I couldn't help be reminded of Persona 4's beauty pageant.

Asura's Wrath is worth experiencing so you can see the Shinya Ohira-animated DLC.

Asura's Wrath is worth playing because it is a god damn amazing game.

Sophia

Well, it certainly fetches a higher than average price for a used game. :p

cj_iwakura

Well, it certainly fetches a higher than average price for a used game. :p

I know this and yet I still don't want to part with it, because I figure I may want to reanalyze the story someday. As opposed to Magna Carta, where it really was not worth it for the few good moments of dialogue and cutscenes. It did have beautiful music and graphics, probably one of the best looking PS2 games ever, but playing it was like self-inflicted root canal work.

I sold it to someone from here. I hope he's made of stern stuff.

Soriku

Guys are aeana and duckroll hinting at Persona 5 for PS4? <_<

First I noticed this post from duckroll in the "Is Atlus going to have a strong showing at E3?" thread:

So many interesting opinions here. Maybe Atlus will surprise most people...

Then I also noticed this post from aeana in the "All these new systems are nice but what I want to see at E3 is Persona 5. Please?" thread:

Things are sure gonna be interesting around here when it's finally announced.

Also in the "Is Atlus going to have a strong showing at E3?" thread, I heard duckroll say this in reference to P5 on the PS4:

I believe.

Harmless comment right? Well this is what aeana said in response:

It'll end up on a handheld too!
Eventually.

OK? duckroll's response:

Well... it'll be on a portable day 1. Unless it uses the camera!

Hmm. As we know, all PS4 games need a mandatory Vita remote play option unless they use the camera.

Her response:

Am I reading into stuff too much or is that what they're getting at? I also heard duckroll saying to "save up" to another user in reference to P5 I believe but I haven't been able to pinpoint that post.

Sophia

Guys are aeana and duckroll hinting at Persona 5 for PS4? <_<

Yes, they are. They've been hinting at it for over a month now at least.

Omi, Dantis, and Scrafty even have an avatar bet with Levito over if it'll appear at E3/in Famitsu or not. :p

pirata

I've noticed that stuff too, but I wasn't going to say anything about it and was going to do a mass avatar bet on PersonaGAF, but I think there's probably enough avatar bets ongoing as it is. I definitely think the mods know something. And I think the game changed platforms when they stopped using the Catherine engine. Think about it: this is the first time Atlus is making HD Megaten demons. If they make them PS4-level, they can reuse assets for nearly a decade! Also, next-gen is not backwards compatible, their audience is likely to be early-adopter, and some people will play P5 over the course of months. Some people wouldn't want to have to drag out their old system or keep it plugged and constantly change TV inputs for just one game.

Sophia

What other posts have they made? The posts I linked to are just from this month.

I'd have to find them again, but Aeana's been teasing at it on her twitter for awhile, and Duckroll made a post over a month ago that went under the radar surprisingly.

Soriku

Why would Aeana and duckroll know any thing about Persona 5's release? Its not like they work for Atlus.

aeana knows some stuff. How, I don't know. For example I remember her hinting at SMT IV before it was announced and that the EO1 remake for 3DS would take a different direction.

duckroll I don't know. He might just be hearing stuff from aeana.

FluxWaveZ

Literally every single time there's been hope for a Persona 5 announcement, for almost half a decade now, it's been dashed.

Just sayin'. 'Course, it'll have to be revealed eventually.

Sophia

Why would Aeana and duckroll know any thing about Persona 5's release? Its not like they work for Atlus.

But what do they do that would enable them to have any kind of insider information?

Moderators have insider info, and I think (but I don't know for sure) that they share it with each other. Either way, both of them have good track records for hinting at stuff, so I have confidence in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom