• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

anyway
real talk:
you people should... not be so gloomy about persona 5's announcement/release date being a long way off. or maybe you should, and then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

Nah, people really should given events of the past and present. If I were to bet, it'd be a Q1 2014 announcement date for at least the PS4.

Squire

Banned
I don't listen to any modern music, and this is why.

What is why?

anyway
real talk:
you people should... not be so gloomy about persona 5's announcement/release date being a long way off. or maybe you should, and then it'll be a pleasant surprise.

I don't ever actually get hung up on these things. There are too many good games coming out. It'll happen when the time is right and at this point, I can't imagine it isn't next up.

Squire

Banned
Q2/Q3 2013 announcement. Q1 2014 release!

I'm more hyped for Monolith Soft's new title right now anyhow.

For JP? Sure.

Also, even given Xenoblade I think dont there's nearly enough info about X to be hyped at the level people seem to be, but hey. *shrug*

Sophia

Also, even given Xenoblade I think dont there's nearly enough info about X to be hyped at the level people seem to be, but hey. *shrug*

If you're not hyped for a Monolith Soft title, it's either sub-par Namco developed stuff or you didn't pay attention to all the details and secrets in the trailers. :3

Besides, the setting and story look far closer to Xenosaga and Xenogears than Xenoblade did, and the last time they used an X in the tentative name it was a spiritual prequel to Xenogears so.... :p

For JP? Sure.

the draw for x is "xenoblade in hd (also hopefully without the crummy last 20%)"

also sophia's super hot for robots and monolith soft is nothing if not consistent on the front

t8MTCy0.jpg

Welcome to the Velvet Room, where have you been?

Sophia

also sophia's super hot for robots and monolith soft is nothing if not consistent on the front

Ha! You got that right. :p

I'm actually more interested in the story. Takahashi (the director) has made a lot of comments on how he didn't want Xenoblade to be the company's magnum opus and was surprised at how well it was received. And given the sheer scope of their new project.... it's pretty mind boggling.

I never stopped believing this would be how it all unfolds. Positive THINKING!!

I'm positive we'll hear about Persona 5 this year. The only reason I suspect we haven't heard it sooner was because they wanted to get SMT IV out the door before announcing it.

FluxWaveZ

Q2/Q3 2013 announcement. Q1 2014 release!

I'm more hyped for Monolith Soft's new title right now anyhow.

I never stopped believing this would be how it all unfolds. Positive THINKING!!

I feel that both of you have a tendency to believe any supposed "surprise" accompanying an event is actually Persona 5.

See, I rarely have the confidence to say that I'm absolutely right concerning a possibility, but I'm absolutely right when I say that Q1/Q2 2014 is Persona 5's official announcement.

Sophia

I feel that both of you have a tendency to believe any supposed "surprise" accompanying an event is actually Persona 5.

See, I rarely have the confidence to say that I'm absolutely right concerning a possibility, but I'm absolutely right when I say that Q1/Q2 2014 is Persona 5's official announcement.

Nah I'm just highly optimistic. I get excited at everything, no matter how small it is! :D

scrafty i don't know if you realized it but you linked to a foo fighters song and they are not what you would call "underground"

Shhhhhhhh

Also I agree with your edit note, but you still can't deny that if you turn on the radio at any given point of the day, unless you're tuned to a "specialty" channel like Classic Radio or whatnot, there's a 99% chance that the song playing will be Generic Rap/Pop Song #324526262.

I'm actually more interested in the story. Takahashi (the director) has made a lot of comments on how he didn't want Xenoblade to be the company's magnum opus and was surprised at how well it was received. And given the sheer scope of their new project.... it's pretty mind boggling.

i dunno, that sort of worries me. one of the best things about xenoblade is that it managed to cut out a lot of the bloat their stories have (well, until the last ~20% of the game when everything got increasingly stupid), and to find out he wants to go "bigger" is not exactly comforting.

I'm positive we'll hear about Persona 5 this year.

this is a good outlook to take ❤

Shhhhhhhh

Also I agree with your edit note, but you still can't deny that if you turn on the radio at any given point of the day, unless you're tuned to a "specialty" channel like Classic Radio or whatnot, there's a 99% chance that the song playing will be Generic Rap/Pop Song #324526262.

one time this godawful song was on like three different radio stations at the same time, and that made me sad

i do feel like a lot of modern popular music is more repetitive than it used to be

Meia

Oh FFS, one would've been bad enough, but FOUR?!

...I think we'll have a p5 announcement when the movie launches, personally.

Trigger

Buddha that's amazing.

I'm simply doing what Maya would do in my position.

Sophia

i dunno, that sort of worries me. one of the best things about xenoblade is that it managed to cut out a lot of the bloat their stories have (well, until the last ~20% of the game when everything got increasingly stupid), and to find out he wants to go "bigger" is not exactly comforting.

To be fair, even the most hardcore Xeno fans think the last part of Xenoblade was kinda dull. The story starts off as among some of their strongest writing, but the final antagonist is kinda weak by the standards of a man who is known for utterly amazing antagonists.

However, it's a testament to Monolith Soft's writing that the final boss is still better than the vast majority of RPG characters, Japanese or Western. :p

perhaps that's true of them, but i'm the guy who's been 100% right about every past persona 5 hype train, and now i'm telling you to be optimistic.

cj_iwakura

Settling the not-quite-age-old question:

tumblr_mj6mzsHQGd1qcr5zmo1_500.png

Who is superior: a Devil Summoner or a Persona user?

Devil Summoners!

SWVu3Uj.jpg

+
  • Sharp dressers
  • Army of demons
  • Demons are are self-aware and can act without direct guidance
  • Power of the occult!
  • An actual career

-
  • Wishy-washy followers
  • Very expensive career
  • Rival summoners want your head
  • Angry demons do too
  • If you die, your followers will happily leave your corpse behind.

Persona users!

GzP1gC8.jpg

+
  • Power of friendship
  • Guaranteed loyalty from summons
  • Friends(and your Persona) will DIE FOR YOU
  • Friendly fusion experts
  • The dating scene

-
  • Drama
  • A pasttime, not a career choice
  • Persona usage is for life; summoners can retire
  • Power of friendship; no friends, no power
  • Personas won't keep you company or do investigating

Astra

But there's also a lot of good modern music. You just have to dig deeper than the manufactured tripe that clogs up the airwaves most of the time.

I was listening to Self vs Self thinking "wtf, I never heard In Flames sing this". Then I realized it was Pendulum featuring Anders Friden. Still, good stuff.

To be fair, even the most hardcore Xeno fans think the last part of Xenoblade was kinda dull. The story starts off as among some of their strongest writing, but the final antagonist is kinda weak by the standards of a man who is known for utterly amazing antagonists.

However, it's a testament to Monolith Soft's writing that the final boss is still better than the vast majority of RPG characters, Japanese or Western. :p

Yeah, I loved Xenoblade to death, but I had several issues with it. The pacing along the latter half being one of them. The final stretch was unbearable, and I just wanted it to be over.

I was listening to Self vs Self thinking "wtf, I never heard In Flames sing this". Then I realized it was Pendulum featuring Anders Friden. Still, good stuff.

Anamanaguchi and Pendulum form my duumvirate of favourite bands. I would sell my right eye to go see either in concert...

Astra

Anamanaguchi and Pendulum form my duumvirate of favourite bands. I would sell my right eye to go see either in concert...

I can see none of the bands I like in concert, since the closest they come is Montreal, and I'm just too poor to afford that. Always spending my money on video games and what not. What a vile hobby.

Trigger

TGS is as good a time as any to reveal whatever the next SMT related project is. Knowing my luck it'll be Devil Survivor 3.

Who is superior: a Devil Summoner or a Persona user?

Team Devil Summoner, but only because I imagine an army of demons being easier to manage.

I can see none of the bands I like in concert, since the closest they come is Montreal, and I'm just too poor to afford that. Always spending my money on video games and what not. What a vile hobby.

I saw Dave Gunning in PEI a couple years back, so it's not like no big musicians come there! I think some of the big bands play in Nova Scotia from time to time as well, and that's not a godawful distance away.

cjkeats

I saw Dave Gunning in PEI a couple years back, so it's not like no big musicians come there! I think some of the big bands play in Nova Scotia from time to time as well, and that's not a godawful distance away.

I'm a little shocked at all the concerts we've gotten here in St. John's recently. I can't even list all the bands I saw last year.
But I'm always salty over the bands that come to Halifax and no further.

Astra

Yeah, during the Festival of Lights on Canada Day weekend, there are usually some big name bands who play. It's never anyone I like, though.

Still, I might save up and make a special trip to Montreal, or Toronto to see some bands. Likely Toronto, since I have a friend who moved there, so I can save some cash on a hotel and mooch off him.

I'm a little shocked at all the concerts we've gotten here in St. John's recently. I can't even list all the bands I saw last year.
But I'm always salty over the bands that come to Halifax and no further.

Yeah, they figure all of us in Atlantic Canada will just go to Halifax to see them.
I've been to St John's... Took like 8 hours or more to get there by boat!

i think the indie games during sony's presentation was more a reaction to the xbone's general indie unfriendliness than, like, really wanting those games to shine.

Yeah, during the Festival of Lights on Canada Day weekend, there are usually some big name bands who play. It's never anyone I like, though.

Still, I might save up and make a special trip to Montreal, or Toronto to see some bands. Likely Toronto, since I have a friend who moved there, so I can save some cash on a hotel and mooch off him.

Anamanaguchi played in Toronto last month, but the tickets sold out so fast that I couldn't get one :(

Next time I'll be on it like a fish on a slightly smaller fish as soon as they're up though. I contributed to their Endless Fantasy Kickstarter at least!

EDIT: Persona-users win by default because they have Junpei. Dat Spring of Life and Vorpal Blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom