• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is persona considered the same series as shin migami tensei? They just dropped SMT from all the titles right?

Shin Megami Tensei is the mainline series. Anyting that is not SMT 1, 2, Nocturne, Strange Journey or 4 is a spinoff. SMT If... is debatable.

You could call the collective games Megaten.

There is Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, Persona, Digital Devil Saga and some other spinoffs that are not alive anymore.

Guy above me on the previous page, what did you hate about P3 and 4? P3P and P4G don't really change that much.

FluxWaveZ

All ya young slinkin kids betta recognize.

shin-megami-tensei-persona-review-psp.jpg

I do not care about any of these characters. (except for maybe Yukino because of IS)

Now this is what I'm talking about:

Shin Megami Tensei is the mainline series. Anyting that is not SMT 1, 2, Nocturne, Strange Journey or 4 is a spinoff. SMT If... is debatable.

You could call the collective games Megaten.

There is Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, Persona, Digital Devil Saga and some other spinoffs that are not alive anymore.

Guy above me on the previous page, what did you hate about P3 and 4? P3P and P4G don't really change that much.

Okay, I guess I didn't hate P4 that much other than the story/characters/setting/dating sim since the gameplay was better than P3, but P3 was a god awful bore with atrocious gameplay.

I really hate that the series became a social/dating sim. I hate those type of games and don't want that shit in my JRPGs.

Squire

Banned
Is persona considered the same series as shin migami tensei? They just dropped SMT from all the titles right?

They never included it in the title to start in Japan. Atlus USA tagged their initial Persona releases and the DDS dualogy with the SMT moniker for brand recognition. They are spin-offs though, like everyone's telling you.

making my team glass cannons with nonsensical xp in p4g was definitely the right move

*high five*

FluxWaveZ

What about us, holmes?

Yeah... what about Eternal Punishment characters!? There's not even a PSN release of the thing and the possibility of a NA localization is probably 0% right now.

It's awesome that I've been able to have the whole Persona collection (excluding Arena) on my Vita, but I guess I have no choice but to get the PS1 version of EP somehow...

RyoonZ

Banned
Team Chie here!!!
I'm ashamed to admit that I never beat any Persona :/
My first Persona game is P3, I played 2-3 months in game time.
I almost beaten P4, I'm on
Nanako dungeon

Roge9

Neo Member
P4A is a respectable fighting game that's pretty good at high level.

Also yeah, P3's gameplay was pretty boring and felt dragged out, I didn't bother with the expansion.

Sophia

The more I play Persona 3 Portable, the more I remember of how compromised of a game it is. It's actually making me want to go back to Persona 4 Golden again.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
The more I play Persona 3 Portable, the more I remember of how compromised of a game it is. It's actually making me want to go back to Persona 4 Golden again.

It would be funny if they were to work on a P3 port on the Vita.

And I would buy it.

What about those things did you not like?

Because I want to play a game and not a dating sim? I already have really low tolerance for anime and that shit, so throwing a bunch of forced dating sim and social stuff down my throat with it isn't doing me any favors.

^ Well, it ties into the gameplay pretty heavily. You must have known this going into the game.

I kinda want a PSVita just to play P4G and P2. Or just a PSP for P2. Luckily for me, I don't have ridiculous amounts of disposable income. But P2 seems like a game I really need to play.

Roge9

Neo Member
Also want to express my rage for the final boss in P3, as he charmed one of my party members into healing all of his health...All 100k ;(

Sophia

It would be funny if they were to work on a P3 port on the Vita.

And I would buy it.

I would too, or at least I would have had I not bought P3P just a day ago. Persona 3 remains my favorite game in the series.

Because I want to play a game and not a dating sim? I already have really low tolerance for anime and that shit, so throwing a bunch of forced dating sim and social stuff down my throat with it isn't doing me any favors.

So Persona 4 and don't date anyone. Problem solved.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

Then you aren't going to like P3P or P4G so don't waste your time.

johnsmith

remember me
Played the Persona 1 psp port a few months ago. It is a very bad game. P3/p4 are just on a completely different (better) level.

^ Well, it ties into the gameplay pretty heavily. You must have known this going into the game.

I kinda want a PSVita just to play P4G and P2. Or just a PSP for P2. Luckily for me, I don't have ridiculous amounts of disposable income. But P2 seems like a game I really need to play.

yes, yes it is. it had hitler as a boss among other things

I would not mind owning a 4th copy of P3.

I swear if there was a Vita port that contained the best of Fes with some of the features Portable added (mainly direct party control... AI stop abusing Marin Karin. AI stahp) I'd buy that in a heartbeat

P3P was my first Persona game and I loved the hell out of it so I thought people were just exaggerating about compromised the experience is. Then I played a few months of FES and P4G and yeah, wow. Huge difference. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend P3P for another first timer like myself, since it's still an excellent, excellent game.

Maybe I should specify. What about the story, characters, and setting do you not like?

And its funny you say you hate dating and social sim stuff when you have no problem making a big deal about Fire Emblem Awakening on a certain other board.

bigkrev

Ken > everyone

(I want P5 already damn it)

*sigh* I'm the only person on the planet who unironically likes Ken, aren't I?

I've had Persona 2 sitting on my Vita since the last sale. Playing Persona 1 on PSP when it came out caused me physical pain, so i'm hoping to start this up in a month and enjoy it.

Sophia

Oh God, I can't hold back anymore. PERSONA 4 HERE I COMEEE!!!!

Seriously, if you're even thinking of getting a Vita, I'd hold off. While Persona 4 Golden doesn't add anything like an alternative route, all the new stuff just adds up gameplay wise.

Akkad

Banned
Seriously, if you're even thinking of getting a Vita, I'd hold off. While Persona 4 Golden doesn't add anything like an alternative route, all the new stuff just adds up gameplay wise.

Honestly Marie was enough of an addition for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom