• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread: The Butterfly Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

Eh, I liked it, although it took a lot of rewatches. It really needed an hour long episode tho, and it's nothing compared to the TV ending.

tumblr_m4lidhFLaD1rn95k2o1_400.gif

The TV ending was awful. It skipped the whole true ending anime cutscene! Not to mention the lame as heck final battle where it plays We Are One And All and I commence eye-roll.

I'm not sure what there is to dislike about the true ending episode.

tumblr_m4lidhFLaD1rn95k2o1_400.gif

The TV ending was awful. It skipped the whole true ending anime cutscene! Not to mention the lame as heck final battle where it plays We Are One And All and I commence eye-roll.

bad pacing, anticlimactic, meh, dont feel like getting into it.

Sophia

You feel your relationship with Dantis isn't ready to advance yet....

bad pacing, anticlimactic, meh, dont feel like getting into it.

They kinda cheapened it by using the same gimmick from earlier too.
Although Shadow Yu confronting himself was by far the best part, in time with the music.

Dantis

Well I thought it was perfect. Absolutely loved it. When it played Bonds, I was flipping out. Thank goodness I was watching it alone, because the sheer excitement on my face would have been most embarassing, haha.

Well I thought it was perfect. Absolutely loved it. When it played Bonds, I was flipping out. Thank goodness I was watching it alone, because the sheer excitement on my face would have been most embarassing, haha.

but it wasn't actually that good.

...well the song was, and that sequence was pretty good.

Sophia

I think the biggest problem was it was confusing if you haven't seen the game's true ending. I don't think I would have been able to follow if I hadn't beaten the game ten times over.

Sophia

With the other persona games you only get 3 right? I'm okay with sticking with 3 but 4 is good! I feel like 5 would be pushing it.

You get 4 in P3/P4, and 5 in P1/P2. 6 in most of the classic MegaTen titles, and 4/5 in the newer ones.

Four seems like an ideal number to me.

Dantis

You get 4 in P3/P4, and 5 in P1/P2. 6 in most of the classic MegaTen titles, and 4/5 in the newer ones.

Four seems like an ideal number to me.

I agree. The only thing I'd like is some proper participation from inactive members. I don't know if I've mentioned it here, but in Breath of Fire 4, characters who weren't in the active party would run in and heal you and whatnot at certain intervals. I'd love to see something like that.

At the same time, something as poorly thought out as the scooters in P4G gets a great big nothankyou.jpg.

Beyond that, I just want P4 combat. It is entirely functional and very fun.

5. Like Persona 1 and 2. Toss out the useless Analyzer types and have one or two of the dudes have scanning abilities. Or just let you scan whenever, like P1 and 2 and most other megaten games.

I'd say four would be good, although Buddha's idea is also one I can get behind. As long as they make sure to balance fights around the number of party members you'll have, it'll work, just no huge parties, is all I ask.

Also we talked about personas in English today! Too bad it was writing personas :( Writing personas can't cast Bufu.

That coupled with the re-additions of Aqua and Magna/Tera, and Strike/Slash/Pierce, would make for greater and more varied team mate movesets. Yep.

Why is Press Turn over the One More system?

RE Keiichi's Tag: I thought it was supposed to be ironic?

I know, I was jokin about a post made earlier yesterday lol.

It is more strategic and fair for both sides. The risks are almost as high as the rewards. Proper defensive play is rewarded even further with it and yea, its just the One More! system, but more in depth, strategic and smart.

Sophia

Why Press Turn over the One More system?

RE Keiichi's Tag: I thought it was supposed to be ironic?

Press Turn is a bit less abusable in normal fights, where as One More can trivialize all normal battles for the most part. Quad Elemental Lilim/Pale Rider anyone? :p

What's the Press Turn system?

It's similar to the One More system in P3 and P4, but basically each time your party's turn comes around, you get so many turns, and exploiting a weakness or scoring a critical hits turns one of those turns into a Press Turn, giving you an additional turn. The amount of turns you get is based upon the amount of party members you have, and limits the maximum amount of additional turns you can have in a fight. Likewise, the amount of turns you get doesn't determine WHO gets to act. So you may get an extra turn, but it still goes to the next member of the party in the turn order.

Dantis

Quicker, yes. Satisfying? No way man.

In One More, you have something that you're always aiming for (All out attack). There is an immediate payoff once you hit it, and often you win the battle. Press Turn doesn't have that. In fact, there is no pay off. The only satisfaction comes from overcoming a difficult fight, rather than setting something up and executing it.

Soma

Playing Persona 2 lately, the battle system has really been growing on me. It'd be cool to see some of the mechanics brought back in P5.

Stuff like Fusion Spells are awesome (it's different in P2 than in P3/P4) and Demon Contacting is so much fun. I hope they keep it to 4 party members minimum. I always feel like 3 is too confining in RPGs.

Sophia

In One More, you have something that you're always aiming for (All out attack). There is an immediate payoff once you hit it, and often you win the battle. Press Turn doesn't have that. In fact, there is no pay off. The only satisfaction comes from overcoming a difficult fight, rather than setting something up and executing it.

One of the biggest advantages of Press Turn is it doesn't let your protagonist trivialize the fight. It's not the character who gets the extra turn, it's the party as a whole.

This would encourage better Persona building and less quad-elemental stuff.

Taruranto

My main problem with the One More System is that it's so exploitable. Most enemies don't even get to attack because you can easily knock them all with the MC.

Quicker, yes. Satisfying? No way man.

It is more strategic and fair for both sides. The risks are almost as high as the rewards. Proper defensive play is rewarded even further with it and yea, its just the One More! system, but more in depth, strategic and smart.

Agree.

Find me a fight in Persona 3-4 awesome as these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dydiAygZPtY

(don't open this unless you finished DDS2)

I'm so happy Atlus chose to reintroduce it in SMT4, although i did enjoy SJ BS once i got into it.

Dantis

One of the biggest advantages of Press Turn is it doesn't let your protagonist trivialize the fight. It's not the character who gets the extra turn, it's the party as a whole.

This would encourage better Persona building and less quad-elemental stuff.

This is true. Like I say, there's no payoff though. It's all very understated (As is the MegaTen way, I guess).

Trigger

No demons for me. I prefer the shadows. I'd like to see the Shadow concept executed better though.

Oh, ok. lol

Press Turn is a bit less abusable in normal fights, where as One More can trivialize all normal battles for the most part. Quad Elemental Lilim/Pale Rider anyone? :p

Very true. lol, I agree with Dantis though in that One More feels more satisfying. It's been awhile since I played DDS or Nocturne so Press Turn feels like a distant memory.

Agree with the two top posts. almost every single fight ending in All Out Attack! gets really, really boring, and that's how almost every fight ends. What is more satisfying, that same animation over and over again, or setting up a proper 8 (or 9) turns just destroying the enemy after fucking up his offensives with your smart defenses and then just obliterating their faces.

Oh and I want demons AND shadows. what if there is some sort of things you can do day or night. Battle demons by day, Shadows by night.

Dantis

Agree with the two top posts. almost every single fight ending in All Out Attack! gets really, really boring, and that's how almost every fight ends. What is more satisfying, that same animation over and over again, or setting up a proper 8 (or 9) turns just destroying the enemy after fucking up his offensives with your smart defenses and then just obliterating their faces.

This is not how most battles go down though. A lot of the time it simply isn't possible.

Aha. Is this our chance?

Sophia

This is not how most battles go down though. A lot of the time it simply isn't possible.

Sure it is. I've done it before in Nocturne. You just have to plan your party out better.

Although if the Press-turn system was introduced, that would give incentive to add free switching for Personae in again too. Or at least something less restrictive.

That is because, most battles SHOULD NOT go down like that. You should not be able to just dominate everything so trivially.

I know the only time things go south in Persona 3 is when I'm being stupid while trying to conserve SP.

Dantis

That is because, most battles SHOULD NOT go down like that. You should not be able to just dominate everything so trivially.

You just invalidated your own point.

> Press Turn is more satisfying because of this.

> Yeah, but this shouldn't happen very often.

So basically, you just agreed that Press Turn isn't as satisfying.

^Just say the word, and its BEAR time. RAAAAWR.

You just invalidated your own point.

> Press Turn is more satisfying because of this.

> Yeah, but this shouldn't happen very often.

So basically, you just agreed that Press Turn isn't as satisfying.

If you plan well, it can happen quite a bit. I am saying, it does not happen as often as, say, Persona 4 One More!'s and All Out Attacks! You have to work harder and be smarter about your actions in order to get the pimp slaps goin man!

Dantis

My favourite is still "Now's our chance for an all-out attack!".

If you think about it, it's a terrible line, but fuck if I care. I love it.

Dantis

I love Yukari just straight up stating the terms. "One more!"

Yep! Love it, haha.

Second to that is Yosuke's "Let's go, Partner!". Probably my favourite character ever as far as pure personality goes.

EDIT: How could I forget "I've been waiting for this!"

Yep! Love it, haha.

Second to that is Yosuke's "Let's go, Partner!". Probably my favourite character ever as far as pure personality goes.

Junpei > Yosuke

And that's my controversial post for the day, I imagine.

Edit: "I've been waiting for this!" is the BEST All-Out Attack Dialogue OF ALL TIME! REAL TALK!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom