• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Beykyu

Neo Member
Generally I have no problems killing FOEs as I explore in the previous labyrinths but in this one I can barely hit them. Like most of my hits always miss and I don't think I've landed a single agility bind or any statuses in general even when I have impure reach. The only one I can kill somewhat easily is the fast guy, only because I can inflict poison on him half the time.

So is there a easier way to deal with them or should I just give up and come back later?

Also, is it me or is leveling up really slow, like I barely get any exp here.

Nachos

Generally I have no problems killing FOEs as I explore in the previous labyrinths but in this one I can barely hit them. Like most of my hits always miss and I don't think I've landed a single agility bind or any statuses in general even when I have impure reach. The only one I can kill somewhat easily is the fast guy, only because I can inflict poison on him half the time.

So is there a easier way to deal with them or should I just give up and come back later?

I don't know, as I always just did the puzzles involving them, but here's a warning for an FOE deeper in that stratum: avoid the group FOE. You'll know what it is when you see it, but unless you either cheese it or fight it according to specific rules revealed in a later quest, it's the hardest FOE in the game.

Leveling up is pretty slow, though. It seems FOEs barely give any EXP, especially when compared to Etrian's FOEs (though not 2's, since they didn't give experience points at all).

I guess I better try to finish the first dungeon(on the last level it said). Been leveling up to stay ahead. I almost got wiped out earlier from barging ahead

Shizuka

I think I'm lost at the
eight and ninth floor of the clock tower.
I have no idea where is the stairs for the last floor or how to get there.

Zareka

Where the hell is the
Happi
in the 4th dungeon? I've been in every room and neither Junpei nor Kanji are doing the whole "it's in this room, Leader!" thing.

slayn

needs to show more effort.

You have to debuff their accuracy/evasion. Unlike binds, debuffs never miss

LayLa

made it to the final battle and I'm criminally underprepared for it, and it looks like its about 10 times harder on Risky than otherwise >.<
guess I need to come up with a new demon strategy ...

Shizuka

Where the hell is the
Happi
in the 4th dungeon? I've been in every room and neither Junpei nor Kanji are doing the whole "it's in this room, Leader!" thing.

Same spot where you triggered the quest, right next to the hallway with two FOEs coming up when you enter.

CSX

As someone who was playing the 2nd floor of the 3rd dungeon at 2AM, fuck that FOE that gave me a heart attack...

jorgejjvr

Help. I love rpgs. I've heard this game is great. But I've never played a persona game, and I've heard this has characters from p3 and p4. Would that hurt my enjoyment of the game? Is it a good introduced to newcomers? Is it strictly for long time fans of the series, like do I need to know the previous stories?

ramyeon

Help. I love rpgs. I've heard this game is great. But I've never played a persona game, and I've heard this has characters from p3 and p4. Would that hurt my enjoyment of the game? Is it a good introduced to newcomers? Is it strictly for long time fans of the series, like do I need to know the previous stories?
If you love RPGs then you owe it to yourself to play Persona 3 and 4.

And yeah, that will increase your appreciation for this game. This is basically a love letter to P3/4 fans, otherwise you'd be better off picking up another Etrian Odyssey title.

jorgejjvr

If you love RPGs then you owe it to yourself to play Persona 3 and 4.

And yeah, that will increase your appreciation for this game. This is basically a love letter to P3/4 fans, otherwise you'd be better off picking up another Etrian Odyssey title.
I see :(

Unfortunately as of now I only have a wii u and 3ds that's why, etrian Odyssey is the same?

I see :(

Unfortunately as of now I only have a wii u and 3ds that's why, etrian Odyssey is the same?

I'm going to recommend you to check out Etrian Odyssey 4, there's a demo on the eshop and you can send the data from the demo to the full game. IMO it's definitely better than Persona Q and even more if you have not played P3/4.

PK Gaming

Finished the game at 96 hours

The final boss was awesome, the ending was sweet and the overall package was fantastic

I loved this game

ahdurian

Just started playing this today, and im in Ch.2.....question though.
I swear I've been everywhere on the map, but I'm still at 91%.
Do i have to physically step on all spaces? or does drawn in spaces count towards the %?

KarmaCow

Just started playing this today, and im in Ch.2.....question though.
I swear I've been everywhere on the map, but I'm still at 91%.
Do i have to physically step on all spaces? or does drawn in spaces count towards the %?

Yea you need to go over them, mapping it out by hand doesn't count. This includes tiles that will damage you.

You can tell which parts you've missed by checking the chest, but yea it's dumb.

ahdurian

Yea you need to go over them, mapping it out by hand doesn't count. This includes tiles that will damage you.

You can tell which parts you've missed by checking the chest, but yea it's dumb.

well then i guess i shouldn't have opened it via Play coins........oh well

thanks though

Dugna

I agree. I never actually intended on using mine, but I did fit my 3DS XL into it out of curiosity, and given the lack of internal straps and no cartridge pouches, I wouldn't use it regardless (there is an internal pocket in the Persona Q case, but it's quite large with no way of securing anything in it either, so I imagine games would just fall out and be rattling around the case). I've got a nice DSi XL case I've had a few years now that fits the system well, protects it nicely, and has plenty of additional storage capacity; it's no bigger than the Persona Q case and does a much better job of holding my 3DS XL and a handful of games and accessories.

Thanks, guess I'll just get it finish my persona fix. I want to have the 3DS the game the case and the theme. So no matter where on my 3DS I see persona.

Shizuka

Just finished the game. Judging that I bought the limited edition, the 3DS theme and the Thanatos DLC, I guess I did enjoy the game, for what I spent. Time for the post-game, I guess.

So I can face the final boss right now, but I think I won't since I feel underleveled. Maybe I will level up all characters up to lvl 55.

Does Delta Drive stacks up with Conqueror Title?

I also hate how the writer for Persona Q made me hate Teddie. He was my second favorite character from P4, but now he's the last.
Hmm, I don't about the P4 side, but if you're in the P3 one, try doing his destined partner thing and when the first options appear choose the second one that is like "I would rather not go with you", and then look out when you open the church, maybe it will make you hate him less.
I think I'm lost at the
eight and ninth floor of the clock tower.
I have no idea where is the stairs for the last floor or how to get there.
Lol I know right? I tried to complete those floors as fast as I could since I knew I would forget which stairs lead to which ones.

Shizuka

So I can face the final boss right now, but I think I won't since I feel underleveled. Maybe I will level up all characters up to lvl 55.

Does Delta Drive stacks up with Conqueror Title?

What difficulty did you choose? I had to go up to level 70 on Normal to beat it, even by using Aigis going Orgia+Shura+Power Charge Myriad Arrows.

Zareka

Same spot where you triggered the quest, right next to the hallway with two FOEs coming up when you enter.

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it a look next time I play since I guess it must have been the only place I didn't check originally. Edit: feeling pretty stupid (and frustrated) now, but I've been the the area with the 2 FOEs and those surrounding it and I can't find the Happi for the life of me. I remember what the area looked like, I just cannot for the life of me remember where it was.

The final boss was awesome, the ending was sweet and the overall package was fantastic

I loved this game
Holy crap, 96 hours? I've been doing every single main and side activity thinking I was being thorough, and I'm at the (supposedly) final floor with around 55 hours clocked. There's no way I'm finishing this for Christmas.

Meia

Just finished the game. Judging that I bought the limited edition, the 3DS theme and the Thanatos DLC, I guess I did enjoy the game, for what I spent. Time for the post-game, I guess.

Does PQ have any post game content? I thought it didn't(only in the third dungeon still).

Shizuka

Sweet, thanks. I'll give it a look next time I play since I guess it must have been the only place I didn't check originally. Edit: feeling pretty stupid (and frustrated) now, but I've been the the area with the 2 FOEs and those surrounding it and I can't find the Happi for the life of me. I remember what the area looked like, I just cannot for the life of me remember where it was.

Did you find it? If you want, I can take a picture of the spot on my map and share it with you.

Does PQ have any post game content? I thought it didn't(only in the third dungeon still).

There is, but it's not much. I don't know if I'll end up doing it though, since I've been dying to start Tales of Hearts R already.

ijed

I loved this game

Just finished too - 101 hours P4 side on Normal - all side quests and I think I was around lvl 70

I think it would have taken me longer without Naoto and I also grabbed those Navi QR codes around lvl 24 which made grinding unnecessary.

Boss battles were good and I loved the puzzles and the fan service - Teddie was the only character who's dialogue I hated ... and Marie's poems....

I'll have to go back and finish P3P now and then I might play again with the P3 story.

Also where can I get more of this and the EO style map puzzles? Do they come from D+D? Maybe I could check out some dungeonmaster books? I figure EO must've got it from somewhere....

Totakeke

Had to pause for two weeks due to finals, but I've just finished it today. Level 71 and 70 hours on P3 side. Finished all side quests.

I know I really liked the game because I was sad when it was over. Really wished they toned down instant death though. If you actually fought the battles on the last few floors, they would be real painful to slog through.

Vena

Started playing this myself...

I can't play my old ETIV anymore... and I hope ETV really brings some of the new things forward because Q feels much better to play. I think the character dynamics and personalities really bring the game and experience up a level or two for me, and I like the hybrid mechanics more than pure ET mechanics.

(Heck, I like this hybrid more than general Persona...)

PK Gaming

It's worth pointing that I had animations on, went for 100% map completion and did every sidequest. You guys might not hit that many hours, but that final stretch is... meaty, to say the least. (The good kind though, at least in my opinion)

Make sure to pace yourselves!

Just finished too - 101 hours P4 side on Normal - all side quests and I think I was around lvl 70

Also where can I get more of this and the EO style map puzzles? Do they come from D+D? Maybe I could check out some dungeonmaster books? I figure EO must've got it from somewhere....

Definitely, definitely try Etrian Odyssey IV on the 3DS if you're looking for similar experience. The puzzles in EOIV are not as inventive as the PQ puzzles, but the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal.

Zareka

So is there any efficient way of grinding levels for lower level (e.g. 30) characters? Sudden urge to reform my party with more P3 characters but grinding Old Dolls with Ken is going to eat up my money in Soul Drops, even if the exp is decent.

Zareka

If you're at the last labyrinth and you can kill the FOE there then yes there is.
Hmm, I haven't tried killing it yet. Would it be viable with one or more super underpowered characters?

Side note, I almost just wiped in the third labyrinth. Go me! :p

Edit: Also, if a character in your party has Growth 3 equipped, does that mean they get 200% exp? Or does it not count?

What difficulty did you choose? I had to go up to level 70 on Normal to beat it, even by using Aigis going Orgia+Shura+Power Charge Myriad Arrows.
Yup, Normal too. Level 64 since I literally escaped from all the battles by the
6th floor
except from the ones that I got an advantage or there were Luxury Hands, because I didn't think it was worth wasting HP/SP fighting Shadows. But now I'm free to train!

Right now I'm at 93 hours 31 min, and if we add the other hours I spent doing all the destined partner routes in another file, 97 hours 51 minutes, so I'm kinda happy I'm near the same time as most people have posted before, since I really spent more time in P3 and P4 than other people. lol And this time I have done all requests and 100%ed every floor so I'm kinda proud~
So is there any efficient way of grinding levels for lower level (e.g. 30) characters? Sudden urge to reform my party with more P3 characters but grinding Old Dolls with Ken is going to eat up my money in Soul Drops, even if the exp is decent.
You can try defeating the golden Shadows that reappear at the end of dungeons, they give a good amount of exp.

And nope, Growth 3 only works if the character isn't in the party.

Totakeke

Hmm, I haven't tried killing it yet. Would it be viable with one or more super underpowered characters?

Side note, I almost just wiped in the third labyrinth. Go me! :p

Edit: Also, if a character in your party has Growth 3 equipped, does that mean they get 200% exp? Or does it not count?

I attempted him as soon as I met him, he was hard but you can get lucky with ailments or binds.

Characters in battle with Growth accessory equipped do get the extra exp. Edit: Eh? I don't know then, maybe I was confused with the exp bar for lower level characters.

Shizuka

Those accessories only apply to the characters that aren't in your party. You'll get another equipment that doubles your EXP but halves all your status later on.

Edit: Or not, but I've read just what I mentioned on GFaqs.

ijed

I can't imagine this game taking 90 hours as I'm in the fourth dungeon and it's only been 45 hours.

Maybe if you spent 30 hours in the Velvet Room...

Yeah that's probably where I spent a good chunk of time - Would go in there with 2m Y and then leave with 200k. I never understood the intricacies of Fusion playing P3 and P4 so at least I got a bit out of it for when I go back to P3P

Definitely, definitely try Etrian Odyssey IV on the 3DS if you're looking for similar experience. The puzzles in EOIV are not as inventive as the PQ puzzles, but the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal.

Yeah I've played all of them and want more! Will probably have to get EO2 to tide me over until EO5. I just thought how the mapping is like the old pen and paper RPGs there might be something earlier that uses those same puzzle mechanics. Maybe I'll go ask in the EO thread .... :)

ijed

ijed, it'd help if you mentioned the platforms you own.

PSP, Vita, 3DS PS2/3/4, Wii... Crappy PC...

I love stuff like Baroque and Shiren (also super psyched for EO Mystery Dungeon) but something that has the step based dungeon puzzles would be cool to check out... Even block puzzles like the puzzle mode in Devil Dice on PS1. - That was pretty neat.

Zareka

Well with lucky panic procs from Yukari's weapon, a strw of cries and fire boosted agidyne spam from P3MC these FOEs are going down pretty easily. Still, the exp isn't all that great for how big their health bars are, and Yukari (level 38) isn't getting all that much more exp than the others (lowest level 42, Yosuke).

As for Growth, I can't tell if it's working on Yukari or not. I always going the description saying "even if" meant it applied regardless but I must be wrong.
You can try defeating the golden Shadows that reappear at the end of dungeons, they give a good amount of exp.
I'll give these a shot and see if they give out any more exp than the FOEs. Thanks.

Jintor

There's got to be a way to improve the way status effects work in games or something. I almost never use status effects because I have no idea about the probability of them hitting and if it's worth blowing a turn to cast them on enemies. This is just a common RPG thing, but I spent almost an entire fight yesterday trying to get a boss to panic and essentially wasting Naoto for the entire fight. (Shouldn't have brought her into a boss fight anyway I guess but I just wanted to check out the boss and ended up stomping it... whatever)

SoulUnison

Banned
Those accessories only apply to the characters that aren't in your party.

Is this true? Why phrase the description "even if not in battle," then?

This is almost as confusing as weather or not Impure Reach affects Hama/Mudo skills.
Is Instant Death considered a status ailment?

Jintor

In general I feel like the functional localisation for PQ has kind of gone downhill. There's been more instances than I normally recall where I have no idea what precisely an item or move does or in what context I should be using it.

Top Bottom