• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Never claimed it was bad (well, the story more or less is, but it's serviceable to set the backdrop for the main focus, the character interactions), only that you need context and familiarity with the characters to enjoy them. Speaking for the P4 cast, characters in Q do not have any real sense of progression and that is understandable, since their arcs concluded in the original game. They are their, more or less, confident selves, and everyone in the group accepts and plays on that, largely focusing on their most prominent personality trait. Yosuke is the good guy, playing it straight. Yukiko laughs and is caring. Chie is energic and loves meat. And so on. But that's it, all interactions, as fun as they might be for fans, depend on your knowledge of the character and their history to flesh them out in your head. Without that, they might appear pretty bland and random.

Except Teddy, don't know what they were thinking, but he is downright annoying and does not resemble his original self much. Playing the P4 side, some of the P3 cast does not come across as likeable either, especially Yukari and Junpei. They have a line every few hours and it's always the same angry or stupid shit. I mean, Ken is a better character in this game, and that kid is the single worst member of the whole original casts.
Sorry, I took that as bashing the game somehow. Ah, now I understand what you mean. You make a good point that they might not come as likeable or interesting without understanding the references or the things they passed through.

Teddie has a few good scenes there and there but I can completely see why everyone hates him now. Don't worry, Yukari and Junpei (along with their senpais) get some good development scenes through the P3 side, while on other hand Ken isn't that important at all. :p

Ourobolus

Banned
And the final boss goes down! Lv 71.
58:35

Time to start up the P4 route!

Oh my god at (ending spoilers)
Aigis holding up the creepy doll and scaring Mitsuru. I died laughing.

LayLa

finally finished!
glad I picked Risky, just the right amount of challenge with very occasional ragequits from being Mudo'd out of nowhere and losing an hour of progress - wouldn't feel like a Persona without that!

ZeroX03

Banned
Guys is there a list of what skills I can put on my Labyrinth and Battle support Personas? The descriptions are kind of vague with some skills as to what they count as.

Ourobolus

Banned
Guys is there a list of what skills I can put on my Labyrinth and Battle support Personas? The descriptions are kind of vague with some skills as to what they count as.
There's a guide on GameFAQs I put out that covers all of the skill cards - the skills show what ones are for field and which are for battle.

RDreamer

I'm still loving the game a bunch, but fusions in this game are just disappointing compared to something like SMTIV. I don't understand the system at all. I can't choose all the skills from the fused demons, and it seems so random as to what I can actually pick. And then the new demons get to inherit only like... 2.... though sometimes randomly it's 3 or 4... So I'm having a hard time justifying the fusions. I can have a good demon with a full rack of awesome skills or apparently fuse 3 great ones into one that has to be middling, because it can only take 2 skills on...

That and when do I get more freaking demon spots!? 14 is crazy low when you consider you need to have 5-7 of them equipped at all times.

Fandangox

Dungeon 4 Spoilers

Stuck on Night 2, got up to 64% of the floor done, mostly the right side, but can't get to the left side, get blocked by an FOE on F2 and the torch's too far away from anything to light, so I assume I have to arrive by the door in C3, but the nearest flamre runs out JUST in front of the door.

Vitacat

I'm interested in buying this game, and know Atlas games tend to become hard to find quickly, so think maybe I should get it now.

Question: Do you recommend the premium over the regular edition?

I have the option to buy the premium edition for $60 or the regular for $40.

UPDATE: ha, never mind. I went for the premium edition. :)

Teddie just seems so unlikable in Q. I don't ever remember hating him before, but here he just has no redeemable qualities. He might be better on the P4 side, but on the P3 side at least I don't think he had a single decent scene. At least Akihiko has a few moments where he acts normal.
He isn't better on the P4 side (the side I played through). But then again, for me, Teddie was never much of a good character in P4/G, and annoyed me there as well, so I expected about as much going in.

I'm still loving the game a bunch, but fusions in this game are just disappointing compared to something like SMTIV. I don't understand the system at all. I can't choose all the skills from the fused demons, and it seems so random as to what I can actually pick. And then the new demons get to inherit only like... 2.... though sometimes randomly it's 3 or 4... So I'm having a hard time justifying the fusions. I can have a good demon with a full rack of awesome skills or apparently fuse 3 great ones into one that has to be middling, because it can only take 2 skills on...

That and when do I get more freaking demon spots!? 14 is crazy low when you consider you need to have 5-7 of them equipped at all times.
You can't fuse with the same mindset as a traditional SMT game here. If a Persona continues to be useful, then there's no reason to fuse. Some low level Personas hold unto skills that can't be gotten again until several levels later in another Persona. Fuse when the skillsets are outdated and you have access to new Personas with improved ones. That was my mindset anyway until later in the game when new options were unlocked for fusing.

bobohoro

Finished the game on Hard, Lv66, a couple hours shy of 70 played. Overall a great success for both sides, Persona and EO complement each other well and I sure hope that both teams got to take away some improvements for their series from Q.

There were a few annoying things, besides Teddy. Gameplay was at its most engaging in the beginning, where you had limited moves and enemies could kill you easily. Every action was important, you had to think on the spot to resolve dangerous situations and it felt quite balanced. Sadly the game is severly unbalanced, with magic attacks being useless, Impure Reach and instant death/panic making everything trivial and myriad arrows destroying FOEs and bosses alike. Since you can acquire Impure Reach pretty early and enemies rarely null, or even resist, hama/mudo, the game becomes rather monotoneous in battle. There is also an astonishing lack of repel/absorb abilites, which I can't quite understand why they did not include it.

While Sub-Personas are great, the overall customisation of personas is a bit confusing and limited. And with the lack of elemental affinities, some personas lose their individuality, making them unattractive to fuse.

Dungeon 4 was also a pretty low point. You are more than 40 hours in, you might be getting tired of some mechanics, the story only really picks up afterwards and after the great group date cafe and haunted house, the festival felt rather bland and uninspired. I can imagine some people giving up on the game by that point, which is a shame, because the final dungeon is pretty great again and the ending, while simple, was bittersweet.

Overall a definite pick for my Top-10 of the year and I'd really like another mix-up of EO and Persona, maybe with an original story.

Some Post-Game questions:
Is there even anything worthwile to do? I don't really want to play through the P3 side, so the super bosses are out of question. I already beat the reaper before, does the quest to beat him unlock anything special?

I thought dungeon 4 had some pretty good puzzles, but it did feel like it was dragging at times. I felt like Floor 3 was too long.

Some Post-Game questions:
Is there even anything worthwile to do? I don't really want to play through the P3 side, so the super bosses are out of question. I already beat the reaper before, does the quest to beat him unlock anything special?

Reenter the nurse's office to be given another quest that has a new boss, that's about the only other post game content though. Beating the Reaper quest just gives you a pretty useful accessory.

bobohoro

Dungeon 4 does have some fucking kick-ass exploration music tho

Music was great throughout!

I thought dungeon 4 had some pretty good puzzles, but it did feel like it was dragging at times. I felt like Floor 3 was too long.

Puzzles were also great, for the most part, some of them in the haunted house were a bit poorly presented, which made them harder than they really are. But over all I thought that dungeon layout, FOE placement and the puzzles were really welle done and one of the highlights of the game.

What bothered me about dungeon 4 was, that it didn't have quite as unique a setting as the two before it. Group date was fun, haunted house was legit scary, the festival in turn seemed to lack a few really involving dungeon features, or an interesting overall theme like the first one. Didn't help, that it really overstayed its welcome, especially with the gate back-and-forth later on. Again, this is compared to the excellent other dungeons, in itself the festival dungeon is not really all that bad.

Reenter the nurse's office to be given another quest that has a new boss, that's about the only other post game content though. Beating the Reaper quest just gives you a pretty useful accessory.

Thanks!

Just started playing. Got to save the game at last, 25 minutes in! No gameplay yet, but I had to take a break, I always forget what a drag the start of JRPGs is, will they ever get around to sorting that out, especially on handheld titles.

Fandangox

Dungeon 4 Spoilers

Stuck on Night 2, got up to 64% of the floor done, mostly the right side, but can't get to the left side, get blocked by an FOE on F2 and the torch's too far away from anything to light, so I assume I have to arrive by the door in C3, but the nearest flame runs out JUST in front of the door.

Anyone?

PK Gaming

Oh man, dungeon 4 a.k.a
Bara
hell

It's frustrating but enjoyable. The puzzles are really make you think (but they're not downright obtuse like in 3the 3rd dungeon). On the other hand, the floors are massive, and the FOEs are downright obnoxious. It got to a point where I set up my team to start killing them, because it was too tedious to maneuver through them. Overall though, I think it was one of the more enjoyable dungeons, and the final floor was legitimately great.

Setsu00

Oh man, dungeon 4 a.k.a
Bara
hell

It's frustrating but enjoyable. The puzzles are really make you think (but they're not downright obtuse like in 3the 3rd dungeon). On the other hand, the floors are massive, and the FOEs are downright obnoxious. It got to a point where I set up my team to start killing them, because it was too tedious to maneuver through them. Overall though, I think it was one of the more enjoyable dungeons, and the final floor was legitimately great.

I was incredibly annoyed by the time I reached the final floor and decided to kill each FOE blocking my way. Surprisingly, I succeeded and now I have a bunch of high level Personas like Masakado and Seth.
The plot revelations also made up for much of the trouble this dungeon put me through.

I died to the first FOE :(
It snuck up behind me whilst I was mapping. You can fill in the floor with different colours, but the automap still uses the default grey, is there a way to make the automap fill it in with a another colour?

Can I miss requests by ignoring the stroll dialogue? I prefer dungeon crawling over party interaction tbh which is why I'm not that interested in strolling.

Meowtor

Gold Member
sorry if this was already answered but got this for christmas (yay!)

I got items to make new weapons but when i go to buy them it says 0/1 for the item needed (desk leg, etc).

am i missing something?

ZeroX03

Banned
Labyrinth 2 boss was really easy. The quest bosses were much harder and actually managed to knock out a few guys but this one barely damaged anyone and fell quickly.

Got this for Christmas today.

Played Persona 4, haven't gotten to Persona 3 yet. Are the crossover bits spoilery for P3?

They're not very big spoilers but you should play P3 all the same. You'd miss out on a lot of fan service.

Sadist

So, uh, floor 3-2...

I have to follow directions, but I have no idea what or how; it's on a piece of paper at the Evil Spirit Club, D5

Can anyone help me with dungeon 4 floor 2, I am well and truly roadblocked.

In the room that is in A3/A4 area I need to get the fire from the left side of the room to the door on the right. But I can't get past the FOE at all, if I run at him with the fire then he just gets stuck in the doorway and I can't seem to make enough room to get around him. If anyone know what to do here I will forever be in your debt and dedicate my complete save file in your honour.

So, uh, floor 3-2...

I have to follow directions, but I have no idea what or how; it's on a piece of paper at the Evil Spirit Club, D5

That paper is refering to the puzzle that is in the F6 corner of the map. When you reach that point observe the positions of the FOEs and beams of light (mark them on your map is necessary) and the answer should reveal itself.

Busaiku

Evil Spirit Club finally completed!
The 4th floor puzzle was probably the easiest, I think.
The earlier floor puzzles were a lot tougher, since I wasn't sure if the directions were supposed to be based on my position or not.

arue

Maybe movement by exclusively strafing while facing the walls will help? You'll still have to face some of them head on in the more open rooms though, but at least you'll minimize the shocks.
I finally got it to floor 3 by
not looking at the top sceen at all around the FOE area. I hope there won't be anymore dolls in the 3rd floor.

So I don't know how to go further into the second floor of the fourth dungeon. There is this room in the southwest with 2 FOEs but I can't pass them. There's an unlit beacon in the room next to it but I don't think I can use it for this puzzle.

I only got to the Evil Spirit Club recently, and damn that atmosphere is great. The graphics are very simplistic but they totally nailed it, creating a very spooky labyrinth. The OST for it does wonders too

Busaiku

Evil Spirit Club 4th floor spoilers
The music when the Old Doll is chasing might be my favorite.
When it comes through the door, and the normal floor music changed; that had to be my favorite moment thus far.

random25

I only got to the Evil Spirit Club recently, and damn that atmosphere is great. The graphics are very simplistic but they totally nailed it, creating a very spooky labyrinth. The OST for it does wonders too

Just wait until you reach the floor where something creepy happens lol. Best dungeon atmosphere in the game.

G-R-I-N-D!!!!!!!!! - This game is so grind-heavy, any one afraid of grinding, stay away from this game!

So you can only carry 60 items at a time, does this increase as you go along? (only on first dungeon, 2F) And they're so mean with money, the cost to heal goes up 100Y every level, I sold every item I was carrying and it came to about 3,500Y. Money is tight, equipment/healing is expensive as fuck. I'm enjoying the game, but this is brutally grind-heavy with very slow battles. On the upside(?) it's pretty easy on normal difficulty.

RDreamer

G-R-I-N-D!!!!!!!!! - This game is so grind-heavy, any one afraid of grinding, stay away from this game!

So you can only carry 60 items at a time, does this increase as you go along? (only on first dungeon, 2F) And they're so mean with money, the cost to heal goes up 100Y every level, I sold every item I was carrying and it came to about 3,500Y. Money is tight, equipment/healing is expensive as fuck. I'm enjoying the game, but this is brutally grind-heavy with very slow battles. On the upside(?) it's pretty easy on normal difficulty.

huh?

I haven't had to grind at all. It may seem expensive at first, but healing becomes cheap as hell. If battles are easy, why are you grinding?

huh?

I haven't had to grind at all. It may seem expensive at first, but healing becomes cheap as hell. If battles are easy, why are you grinding?
For money and to level up? The FOE on the first floor 1-hit kills any party member at my current level (5) so obviously I need to level up or buy better gear = grinding. Unless I'm using the wrong word for grinding, I dunno that's what I call it.

Top Bottom