• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

Shizuka

PSP, Vita, 3DS PS2/3/4, Wii... Crappy PC...

I love stuff like Baroque and Shiren (also super psyched for EO Mystery Dungeon) but something that has the step based dungeon puzzles would be cool to check out... Even block puzzles like the puzzle mode in Devil Dice on PS1. - That was pretty neat.

Demon Gaze for Vita.

spiritfox

PSP, Vita, 3DS PS2/3/4, Wii... Crappy PC...

I love stuff like Baroque and Shiren (also super psyched for EO Mystery Dungeon) but something that has the step based dungeon puzzles would be cool to check out... Even block puzzles like the puzzle mode in Devil Dice on PS1. - That was pretty neat.

Legend of Grimrock is similar, but in real time instead of turn based. If you want more suggestions you can check the FAQs in the EO community thread.

Nachos

There's got to be a way to improve the way status effects work in games or something. I almost never use status effects because I have no idea about the probability of them hitting and if it's worth blowing a turn to cast them on enemies. This is just a common RPG thing, but I spent almost an entire fight yesterday trying to get a boss to panic and essentially wasting Naoto for the entire fight. (Shouldn't have brought her into a boss fight anyway I guess but I just wanted to check out the boss and ended up stomping it... whatever)
I've heard Etrian 2 Untold supposedly adds a table for every individual ailment resistance and weakness that each monster has, right in the analysis screen. Hopefully that becomes standard in every Etrian-like and any Q sequels.

Still, I wish they would treat it like Etrian where every enemy and boss is susceptible to every ailment, though I guess it makes sense there, when there's always a class built around nothing but ailments and debuffs.

In general I feel like the functional localisation for PQ has kind of gone downhill. There's been more instances than I normally recall where I have no idea what precisely an item or move does or in what context I should be using it.

Yeah, I noticed that one quest item was localized two different ways, with both uses pretty close to one another. I think they were called, like, the luxury piece and the prosperity shard, or something.

Still, it's not hard to realize they refer to one another, and that was the only issue I encountered other than the experience items. Considering the volume of the game, I'd say Atlus USA did a really bang-up job.

PK Gaming

There's got to be a way to improve the way status effects work in games or something. I almost never use status effects because I have no idea about the probability of them hitting and if it's worth blowing a turn to cast them on enemies. This is just a common RPG thing, but I spent almost an entire fight yesterday trying to get a boss to panic and essentially wasting Naoto for the entire fight. (Shouldn't have brought her into a boss fight anyway I guess but I just wanted to check out the boss and ended up stomping it... whatever)

There's a passive skill called Impure Reach that does exactly that. It boosts the hit% for ailments, and for Hama/Mudo spells as well. They're treated as ailments for some reason. It's silly.

Off the top of my head, sub Personas like Succubus have it. Barring that, you should try using binds instead (I generally have more success with them) or put her on buff/debuff/healing duty during boss fights.

Fandangox

Stuck on Floor 2 of Labyrinth 4.

At the A/4 segment, I get that I have to get to the door with the flame since the Fast Guy will run away from it, but it just keeps running into the door and blocks it, going around is too long and the flame runs out.

Edit: NVM figured it out.

Jintor

There's a passive skill called Impure Reach that does exactly that. It boosts the hit% for ailments, and for Hama/Mudo spells as well. They're treated as ailments for some reason. It's silly.

Off the top of my head, sub Personas like Succubus have it. Barring that, you should try using binds instead (I generally have more success with them) or put her on buff/debuff/healing duty during boss fights.

I don't really mean their mechanical effectiveness, I'm talking more about their psychological effectiveness - that is, showing the player the probability of hitting or effectiveness of use or something.

As it is, using ailments can sometimes feel like I'm just flipping a coin over and over and over

ijed

Demon Gaze for Vita.

Oh good idea!

Legend of Grimrock is similar, but in real time instead of turn based. If you want more suggestions you can check the FAQs in the EO community thread.

Yes thanks heaps - sorry for spamming both threads.

Oh and another thing I liked about PQ that I hope is in EO5 is map rotation. Made placing arrows for conveyor belts soo much easier.

I had little luck with binding circles but never had binding hands on my caster. Impure reach + status circles are godlike though.

Velcro Fly

Haven't started yet but considering playing on a lower difficulty with automap on just to enjoy the story and fan service. My backlog is huge and I'd like to at least experience the story once. Anyone else doing this? Does it make it less fun? I normally play games on the middle difficulty the first time through but I'm afraid I'll get bogged down and never make it =/

Haven't started yet but considering playing on a lower difficulty with automap on just to enjoy the story and fan service. My backlog is huge and I'd like to at least experience the story once. Anyone else doing this? Does it make it less fun? I normally play games on the middle difficulty the first time through but I'm afraid I'll get bogged down and never make it =/

Even if battles are easy (and they are, unless you're playing Risky mode, for the most part), you'll still have to deal with devious puzzles/F.O.E puzzles later on. This game might have a lot of fanservice, but it's still a dungeon crawler at heart and there's no escaping that.

GeekyDad

I've been playing on Normal and feel the challenge is right where I want it. Of course, I have an all-P3 team, so perhaps that makes the balance a bit different than what other folks have experienced. You still experience occasional team wipe on Normal, but there's no grinding. That's how I like it.

So I'm passed the first dungeon and now have the option of
playing with both P3 & P4 players. Just wondering what yall are finding is the best P multigame combinations or should I just stick with the P3 crew since that's who I started this game scenario with?

Jintor

you need to mark where you're spoiling otherwise noone will read your spoiler

/edit man doing group date cafe with junpei is hilarioussssssssssss

I'm up to the third floor of the fourth labyrinth, but I went back to the first floor to try to get 100%. This was the first time I used links and binding to take down an FOE. It was a hard fight, and it looked dicey for a few spots, but I was able to take it down even though I didn't have the correct elemental affinities. The P4MC and Akihiko are my primary linkers (Kanji is just too far behind in levels), Aigis is my tank, P3MC is my healer, and Naoto is my binder.

Niahak

playing with both P3 & P4 players. Just wondering what yall are finding is the best P multigame combinations or should I just stick with the P3 crew since that's who I started this game scenario with?

I've had good luck so far with
both MCs, Akihiko, Aigis and Naoto.
. Had to move P3 MC to the back row. It's a pretty physical biased party, and two element overlaps, but with sub personas you can get a balanced set of roles.

It seems to be a pretty common group.

Ourobolus

Banned
. Had to move P3 MC to the back row. It's a pretty physical biased party, and two element overlaps, but with sub personas you can get a balanced set of roles.

Yeah, I've got the same party, except with Kanji instead of Aigis.
My second run is going to be the misfit team - P4MC/Teddie/Koromaru/Aigis/Zen

Nachos

Oh yeah, I forgot to post this fusion chart I published to my Tumblr two days ago.
tumblr_ngwoeoA2mZ1qej7sqo1_1280.png
I'd probably do things differently with it to make the instructions more legible if I was going to remake it from scratch, but considering it was just an exercise to get used to graphic designing again, I think it turned out alright. Hopefully it can help someone.

Xenoflare

I'm using Yukari instead of Naoto and regret not swapping Naoto in right when she joins. Akihiko is strong and fast and Aigis is a ranged tank.

I'm using both MCs solely because of that sidequest.

random25

Go with any combination you like. I have P3 crew as well with weird combination (P3MC, Shinjiro, Akihiko, Mitsuru, Aigis). Just works for me.

CSX

My lord the music that plays during scrolls is so good.

Dont know if it's a different track if you play P3 route though but goddamm so catchy and uplifting

ChrisD

So the fourth dungeon is great. The Shadows, not so much. They require some actual thought to fight (without Hama/Mudo) but you get no reward for beating them. EXP gain so low.

I actually set my Battle settings to fastest just so I can Mamudoon everything with Naoto. Even then the twenty second interruptions get annoying after a while.

Five Disperse Amulets it is I guess.

Soulflarz

Banned
Going to sleep, need help, sorry >.< (basically hoping I have an idea of what to do when I wake up)

On 4-4. the only area I still have to search (er, I think?) is C2/C3
But it's blocked. I have the flame on the path near it lit, but how do I go about actually getting into C2/C3? Thanks!

arue

I was halfway through 3-2 and...

FUCK I ALMOST GOT A HEART ATTACK. I'm weak with haunted houses and I wasn't expecting something like that in a cute 'lil game like this. What's worse is that the dolls keep popping up several times after the first one and I can't look at the top screen anymore in a dark area.

I'm stuck at a puzzle on the second floor and I know can get it through if I spend more time on it, but I just lost my motivation because of those dolls.

I'll be taking a break from PQ for a while and go back later when I toughen up.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I can't commit to any party, too many choices :(
It is so hard balancing character I like with their abilities. Anyone running what I am now or have thoughts on it?

Teddy/P4mc
p3mc/yukari/aigis.

p3mc is my leader, and I am on risky. Yukari is my favourite so she has to stay. I use rise as the battle nav so I want p4mc to stay as well since I like how she says senpai. I really only have aigis in there for bashing. Unfortunately I have no one with light/dark or support skills. Don't like naoto and while junpei would be awesome, I think he repeats an element and I would lose ice from Teddy or bash from aigis.

Bah, any ideas?

Late to the party and trying to avoid reading the thread in case of unmarked spoilers. It isn't answered in the OP, so... is it important to finish both P3 and P4 before starting this game?

I can't commit to any party, too many choices :(
It is so hard balancing character I like with their abilities. Anyone running what I am now or have thoughts on it?

Teddy/P4mc
p3mc/yukari/aigis.

p3mc is my leader, and I am on risky. Yukari is my favourite so she has to stay. I use rise as the battle nav so I want p4mc to stay as well since I like how she says senpai. I really only have aigis in there for bashing. Unfortunately I have no one with light/dark or support skills. Don't like naoto and while junpei would be awesome, I think he repeats an element and I would lose ice from Teddy or bash from aigis.

Bah, any ideas?

Aigis is better on the front row due to her defensive skills. Remember that you can use sub personas to complement skill sets, so don't worry too much about having complete elemental coverage without them.

Is all the DLC out yet?

It should be

Late to the party and trying to avoid reading the thread in case of unmarked spoilers. It isn't answered in the OP, so... is it important to finish both P3 and P4 before starting this game?

Ideally yes, although you can get by having only beaten one of them, as long as you pick that MC in Q. You won't be spoiled on anything major from either game.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Aigis is better on the front row due to her defensive skills. Remember that you can use sub personas to complement skill sets, so don't worry too much about having complete elemental coverage without them.

I might throw her up front, good idea. I might also just replace her with naoto. I really can't decide on a good party haha.

(Does the game ever force you to switch your party? Like do they ever say "yukari went somewhere you can't use her now" or something similar? Other than for quests, as I know that happens since that's why I tried out aigis in the first place)

I might throw her up front, good idea. I might also just replace her with naoto. I really can't decide on a good party haha.

(Does the game ever force you to switch your party? Like do they ever say "yukari went somewhere you can't use her now" or something similar? Other than for quests, as I know that happens since that's why I tried out aigis in the first place)

No, other than a few quests you will always have access to everyone.

Ideally yes, although you can get by having only beaten one of them, as long as you pick that MC in Q. You won't be spoiled on anything major from either game.

Thanks. I've beaten 3 but never got through 4, and I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to start this or P4G first.

I think people who are in the middle of the game should be warned of two things (optional stuff spoilers?)

To level up both MCs to level 55 to unlock that quest, since I think most people wouldn't have both MCs if they are forced to have one in the party on both sides.
If they want to retry the destined partner scenes, do all the ones you want to see before defeating the fourth guardian.

bobohoro

Thanks. I've beaten 3 but never got through 4, and I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to start this or P4G first.

Play P4G first. Most characters in Q are pretty basic, one-dimensional caricatures of their original representation (on the P4 side, only Kanji gets any real additional value added) and the only redeeming factor is your knowledge of the cast and the chance to spend a few more hours with them, as reduced as they might be. In terms of story and characterization Q is fan service only, I can't imagine you would really derive much enjoyment out of that aspect without playing P4 proper.

Play P4G first. Most characters in Q are pretty basic, one-dimensional caricatures of their original representation (on the P4 side, only Kanji gets any real additional value added) and the only redeeming factor is your knowledge of the cast and the chance to spend a few more hours with them, as reduced as they might be. In terms of story and characterization Q is fan service only, I can't imagine you would really derive much enjoyment out of that aspect without playing P4 proper.
I would disagree with that. From playing the P3 side: Yosuke's pretty spot-on, and gets some cool scenes with his reasons of fighting and helping SEES. Naoto's just Naoto, nothing wrong with her, plus there's a cool stroll about her and Ken. I can't even describe Rise, I probably enjoyed her better here than I did with P4. Kanji's still as funny as ever. Yukiko doesn't have as much importance as the others, she still laughs and cooks bad (basically post Shadow Yukiko) but she still cares for the others and I believe in her trailer she mentions some of her problems. Chie does still have some of the meat effect from P4A, but otherwise is basic Chie with her interactions with Yosuke and normal stuff. Teddie's the only real problem, but I would recommend to see his wedding scene. So yeah, I don't see PQ's story and characterization as bad as you are claiming them to be.

PK Gaming

I don't really think it's fair to call them 1 dimensional caricatures. Sure, they'll never reach the writing highs of the original game, but frankly, they don't need to. Persona 3/4 were life sims, whereas PQ is a whimsical adventure. There's an inherent conflict of interests in terms of writing from the get go. Instead of trying to capture their original characterization, (like the arena games failed to do) PQ does its own thing, and it does it well. So while they don't strictly act like how they do in P3/P4 (due to the fact that those were life sims) they're fairly well characterized in PQ. With the exception of Akihiko, Chie and Teddie pretty much every on both sides are well preserved or tweaked to support the stting. In certain cases, such as Yukiko, Mitsuru and Naoto (definitely Naoto), their characters are straight up improved.

Akihiko and Teddie are pretty irredeemable though.

In the P3 side, Akihiko goes back to normal cool Senpai mode (like during the Fuuka rescue mission in P3) while still having his funny fights with Shinji during
the last floor of the fourth dungeon and all of the last labyrinth
. Obviously it doesn't mean his personality and attitude from the beginning and half of the game is corrected, but at least it's something good for Akihiko fans.

Dantis

I don't really think it's fair to call them 1 dimensional caricatures. Sure, they'll never reach the writing highs of the original game, but frankly, they don't need to. Persona 3/4 were life sims, whereas PQ is a whimsical adventure. There's an inherent conflict of interests in terms of writing from the get go. Instead of trying to capture their original characterization, (like the arena games failed to do) PQ does its own thing, and it does it well. So while they don't strictly act like how they do in P3/P4 (due to the fact that those were life sims) they're fairly well characterized in PQ. With the exception of Akihiko, Chie and Teddie pretty much every on both sides are well preserved or tweaked to support the stting. In certain cases, such as Yukiko, Mitsuru and Naoto (definitely Naoto), their characters are straight up improved.

The bolded is debateable, but otherwise I agree.

They largely feel like more whimsical versions of their more serious P3 and P4 selves. Comparatively, Arena and Ultimax's characterisations revolved entirely around memorable events and character traits and then exaggerated them. There's a bit of that in PQ, but it's not nearly as prevalent.

Jintor

poor teddie and aki. Really got beaten with the flanderisation stick.

Seriously, doesn't aki have like one line and one line only in P3 about protein?

bobohoro

So yeah, I don't see PQ's story and characterization as bad as you are claiming them to be.

Never claimed it was bad (well, the story more or less is, but it's serviceable to set the backdrop for the main focus, the character interactions), only that you need context and familiarity with the characters to enjoy them. Speaking for the P4 cast, characters in Q do not have any real sense of progression and that is understandable, since their arcs concluded in the original game. They are their, more or less, confident selves, and everyone in the group accepts and plays on that, largely focusing on their most prominent personality trait. Yosuke is the good guy, playing it straight. Yukiko laughs and is caring. Chie is energic and loves meat. And so on. But that's it, all interactions, as fun as they might be for fans, depend on your knowledge of the character and their history to flesh them out in your head. Without that, they might appear pretty bland and random.

Except Teddy, don't know what they were thinking, but he is downright annoying and does not resemble his original self much. Playing the P4 side, some of the P3 cast does not come across as likeable either, especially Yukari and Junpei. They have a line every few hours and it's always the same angry or stupid shit. I mean, Ken is a better character in this game, and that kid is the single worst member of the whole original casts.

^I agree that Teddie is insufferable in PQ!

I continue to be frustrated with my lack of focus in regard to picking Persona for my main party. My P4MC is utterly directionless (he's using a maxed out Sarasvati in the Group Date Cafe, which sucks), and Chie is using a found Oni (so it's lacking any interesting skills).

Naoto continues to be a Hama/Mudo machine with little attention paid to her sub-Persona, and I'm equipping P3MC with the best possible support skills. In regard to my navigational characters, I've just been using old, fully maxed-out Personas.

Can anyone help me focus their progression?

Yeah, Teddie in Persona Q really is completely annoying. He was never my favorite character, but he wasn't really annoying in the original game. Here he's just so one note. No one else has really been hurt nearly that much.

I was halfway through 3-2 and...

FUCK I ALMOST GOT A HEART ATTACK. I'm weak with haunted houses and I wasn't expecting something like that in a cute 'lil game like this. What's worse is that the dolls keep popping up several times after the first one and I can't look at the top screen anymore in a dark area.

I'm stuck at a puzzle on the second floor and I know can get it through if I spend more time on it, but I just lost my motivation because of those dolls.

I'll be taking a break from PQ for a while and go back later when I toughen up.

Maybe movement by exclusively strafing while facing the walls will help? You'll still have to face some of them head on in the more open rooms though, but at least you'll minimize the shocks.

Teddie just seems so unlikable in Q. I don't ever remember hating him before, but here he just has no redeemable qualities. He might be better on the P4 side, but on the P3 side at least I don't think he had a single decent scene. At least Akihiko has a few moments where he acts normal.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm not getting the Teddie hate, I find him hilarious.

njwvho.jpg

Fun team to roll. I've been dying to use Shinji again for years. On my P3 playthrough I'm not using Naoto again, she trivializes things and Koromaru with Light attacks makes it even easier.

Eblo

I'm at my wit's end with the fourth floor of the third labyrinth.
I got to the four rooms, and I even looked up the order to enter them in. Except one door is electronically locked and prevents the puzzle from being done, and according to some sites you must do an event with Rei in a dark room. I cannot find that event anywhere, and I've searched the previous floors quite profusely.
Can someone explain in plain English what I'm supposed to do?

I'm at my wit's end with the fourth floor of the third labyrinth.
I got to the four rooms, and I even looked up the order to enter them in. Except one door is electronically locked and prevents the puzzle from being done, and according to some sites you must do an event with Rei in a dark room. I cannot find that event anywhere, and I've searched the previous floors quite profusely.
Can someone explain in plain English what I'm supposed to do?

There should be a second staircase on the south west of floor four that will take you to the section of floor 3 you haven't visited yet, which is where the Rei puzzle is.

Eblo

There should be a second staircase on the south west of floor four that will take you to the section of floor 3 you haven't visited yet, which is where the Rei puzzle is.

Unless I'm missing something, it looks like every which way forward is blocked by an FOE or a door that requires a darkness key (which I can't find). Is the only way to progress defeating one of the FOEs?

EDIT: Oh boy, nevermind. There was a very covert light switch hidden at the end of the corridor. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom