• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth |OT| -- No Dating, Just Dungeons

For money and to level up? The FOE on the first floor 1-hit kills any party member at my current level (5) so obviously I need to level up or buy better gear = grinding. Unless I'm using the wrong word for grinding, I dunno that's what I call it.

Ah, that's your problem--don't try to kill that thing yet. All of the other monsters shouldn't be terribly difficult at your level.

Setsu00

For money and to level up? The FOE on the first floor 1-hit kills any party member at my current level (5) so obviously I need to level up or buy better gear = grinding. Unless I'm using the wrong word for grinding, I dunno that's what I call it.

I haven't had any issues with grinding during my playthrough. If you're short on money, try selling the materials you get from P-Spots. Those were pretty much the best source of money for me.

Also, don't fight the FOEs at that level. You don't have to kill most FOEs in the game and by the time you actually do have to fight them you should be strong enough to take them down anyway.

Fandangox

That would be because you are not supposed to fight them. The FOEs of their respective dungeons will always be stronger than your party when you first enter, lots of puzzles revolve around avoiding getting into combat with them.

Ahh I assumed the FOEs were like mini-bosses of each level that you'd want to kill before moving on to the next dungeon. So come back to them much later?

wrowa

Are you serious? The game tells you a billion times - and even at the start of an FOE encounter - that you aren't supposed to fight those yet. How did you even get the idea that it would be a good idea to fight against those?

RDreamer

Ahh I assumed the FOEs were like mini-bosses of each level that you'd want to kill before moving on to the next dungeon. So come back to them much later?

So far it seems like you should be strong enough to beat an FOE sometime after starting the next dungeon. FOEs are strong in order to make the puzzles make sense. If you could or were supposed to beat them, the puzzles would be pointless.

Are you serious? The game tells you a billion times - and even at the start of an FOE encounter - that you aren't supposed to fight those yet. How did you even get the idea that it would be a good idea to fight against those?
lol, ok calm down - I thought they were just being heavy handed in a "don't tackle these guys yet, level up a bit first" kind of way - which is what I was doing whilst exploring the dungeon and accruing items to sell.

bobohoro

So far it seems like you should be strong enough to beat an FOE sometime after starting the next dungeon. FOEs are strong in order to make the puzzles make sense. If you could or were supposed to beat them, the puzzles would be pointless.

By Dungeon 3 you could bruteforce your way through some puzzles with good party setups, without much grinding, especially panic wrecks them. But since most of the FOE puzzles where pretty fun, I only ever killed them after I 100%ed the floor.

chumby

Neo Member
Currently on my first play-through of P4, and I think the dungeons suck. Is it hopeless for me to try this game after I beat P4, or are the dungeons different enough?

Baliis

Currently on my first play-through of P4, and I think the dungeons suck. Is it hopeless for me to try this game after I beat P4, or are the dungeons different enough?

The dungeons in this game are actual dungeons with puzzles, shortcuts, etc.

Clov

So, I finally ran into the Persona 3 cast! So far in my party I've been using Chie, Kanji, Yukiko, and Naoto. I know I want to keep Naoto for sure, and I may keep Yukiko since she's been a good healer. Which P3 characters would be good to use in my party?

Jachaos

The P4 dungeons are the only con to the game from my standpoint. While their themes are interesting and the music and style good, their structure and overall gameplay functions are bad non-existent.

Persona Q on the other hand has good dungeons. I still prefer P4 and P3 for the rest of the stuff, but on the dungeon side of things, it's not even close.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ugh. Just realized I forgot to unlock
Zeus
after beating the game the first time. Guess I gotta wait until after the P4 run.

Lusankya

Is there a guide which describes how to get the secret drops from the enemies?

Also there was a quest that requires both protagonists to be level 55 or something. Is there a point of no return when I can't get this quest anymore or can I just grind the other protagonist later?

P90

I just started the game. I quite enjoy it so far. I'm on the second floor of first dungeon. I downloaded a bunch of dlc. (Atlus and Persona, gotta give them all of my money). I can't see or activate the purchased sub-personas or supports. Is there a problem or do I just need to be further in the game? Thanks for the help.

Ourobolus

Banned
Is there a guide which describes how to get the secret drops from the enemies?

Also there was a quest that requires both protagonists to be level 55 or something. Is there a point of no return when I can't get this quest anymore or can I just grind the other protagonist later?
AFAIK it just pops up when you visit the nurse's office after they both hit 55. I don't think there is a point of no return. I hit it somewhere in the 4th dungeon.

I just started the game. I quite enjoy it so far. I'm on the second floor of first dungeon. I downloaded a bunch of dlc. (Atlus and Persona, gotta give them all of my money). I can't see or activate the purchased sub-personas or supports. Is there a problem or do I just need to be further in the game? Thanks for the help.
Just get a little further. It'll open up.

I'm having difficulties beating
Margaret using only the 2 MCs.
Can anyone recommend sub-Personas or tactics for this fight? I'm currently using a
healer based Gabriel and a Rangda with Immunity Buffer
, but I'm just not doing enough damage.

Also, I don't know how to get
the last square in Inaba Pride Exhibit Night 4 in the northwestern quadrant under the large, statue-carrying FOE. The square I'm missing is at the bottom edge of B3.
I think I can figure out how to get the
squares between the 2 FOEs in A4 and A5,
but if you have any hints, I'd love to hear them.

Astarte

I'm having difficulties beating
Margaret using only the 2 MCs.
Can anyone recommend sub-Personas or tactics for this fight? I'm currently using a
healer based Gabriel and a Rangda with Immunity Buffer
, but I'm just not doing enough damage.

Poison.

bobohoro

Poison is the best status ailment early on, since it vastly outdamages anything your party can dish out, but drops in usefulness around dungeon 3, when physical skills begin to shine and prolonged linking becomes a possibility. I completely dropped it in favour of Panic, which basically is a 3-in-1 bind with a chance of self-attack, and would also work better on that particular fight.

I basically set up my Naoto with Impure Reach, open with Panic Circle and spam additional Tentarafoo every round until the status sticks.

Astarte

Poison Circle or Poison Breath? I can probably extract either at this point.

To be honest, all I did was have Impure Reach on P4MC and Poison Circle. Then it just became a battle of attrition and buffs/debuffs since I didn't have my links :/

Panic is fine too though :V

To be honest, all I did was have Impure Reach on P4MC and Poison Circle. Then it just became a battle of attrition and buffs/debuffs since I didn't have my links :/

Panic is fine too though :V

I got lucky with a Panic Circle and some Poison Breaths. Only had to heal once, which was surprising. Thanks!

I'm definately going to be checking out the Etrian Odyssey games after I've played this. I haven't really played more than a few hours of Persona 4 (PS2 died) so it's not the characters per se, but I think this game is a nice introduction to the first person dungeon crawler genre.

Xenoflare

Are there any detailed guide in English for Q out yet?

I took a break from it to play Pokemon AS and now the game is almost foreign to me after a month.

Jintor

Mercer seriously grew into Baker's Kanji. He sounds excellent now. Fuuka was replaced when she came back for Arena; Wendy Lee got the job then as now.

Xenoflare

Mercer seriously grew into Baker's Kanji. He sounds excellent now. Fuuka was replaced when she came back for Arena; Wendy Lee got the job then as now.

I remember that I was pretty flabbergasted after knowing that Troy Baker wasn't Chrom in Fire Emblem. I was like "how can he sound so similar to Troy?"

New Fuuka is very welcomed, she's perfectly fine.

New Naoto is okay too.

By Dungeon 3 you could bruteforce your way through some puzzles with good party setups, without much grinding, especially panic wrecks them. But since most of the FOE puzzles where pretty fun, I only ever killed them after I 100%ed the floor.

I think the FOE puzzles are the best part of the game and fighting FOEs is super tedious even on normal.

random25

Looks like there is really no major difference between P3 and P4 side besides some dialogue changes. Currently brushing through P4 side on my New Game + and on 3rd dungeon right now.

BTW, any bonus item/persona/challenge that will appear on NG+?

Dantis

Looks like there is really no major difference between P3 and P4 side besides some dialogue changes. Currently bruahing through P4 side on my New Game + and on 3rd dungeon right now.

BTW, any bonus item/persona/challenge that will appear on NG+?

Someone on here said that a lot of the conversations were largely different. Would you agree with that?

Ourobolus

Banned
Someone on here said that a lot of the conversations were largely different. Would you agree with that?

So far I'm in the 4th dungeon of my P4 playthrough (already did P3), and largely (but not all) the in-dungeon conversation is the same, but there are a bunch of different Strolls and a few other conversations that are changed up.

I'm getting some different stroll events plus some conversations during dungeon explorations are a bit different and focuses on different casts.

Yeah, basically this. Am I mistaken, or is the Kanji/Ken shoelace stuff only on the P4 side? That's pretty substantial. I don't really recall it from the P3 side.

random25

I'm getting some different stroll events plus some conversations during dungeon explorations are a bit different and focuses on different casts.

Dantis

I've played a few hours of both persona 4/3 but then my ps2 died and never got back to it. Should i watch the anime first?

Before playing this? You should really play through Persona 3 and/or 4. For starters they're much better games, but also the writing in this pretty much assumes that you already know who everyone is and what their personalities are like.

I've played a good deal of both games (mostly 4), so I know all the characters. I just haven't finished them. Will that pose a problem or can i solve it by watching the respective anime
(Game was a Xmas gift)

Xenoflare

Does luck influence Hama and Mudo? I'm building a persona with Mahammon and Mamudoon for Yukari and thr impure reach card since I benched Naoto in the beginning, but Yukari's stats besides magic are all piss poor.

Never touched an Etrian Odyssey game, bought this because I'm a huge Persona fan. I just started the 2nd labyrinth and this game is kicking my ass good, hahah.

I'm enjoying the combat system a lot so far, it's so much more strategic than the Persona games! I like the fact that turn order can make or break any battle, it makes combat engaging instead of mechanic and repetitive. You have to think very carefully on every turn.

I'm also enjoying the interactions between characters more than I thought I would, it doesn't feel like a half-assed spin-off to me. Can't say I'm very interested in Zen and Rei for now though.

Guess I'll drop by here asking for sagely advice whenever I get stuck, I feel I'm just bruteforcing my way through the game and eventually I'll have to be more strategic or else I'll screw myself over in the long run.

I'm wondering one thing though: how long is this game on average? I'm playing from the P4 protagonist's perspective but I'd also like to see the P3 side. I fear I'll be burnt out if the main story is too long...

random25

Yeah, basically this. Am I mistaken, or is the Kanji/Ken shoelace stuff only on the P4 side? That's pretty substantial. I don't really recall it from the P3 side.

Yes it is P4 side exclusive. Same with the restroom event.

As for P3 side, the exclusive is the Mitsuru and Yukari story side. Still at 4th dungeon on my 2nd playthrough so I'm not sure if there are other exclusive events that may pop up.

Never touched an Etrian Odyssey game, bought this because I'm a huge Persona fan. I just started the 2nd labyrinth and this game is kicking my ass good, hahah.

I'm enjoying the combat system a lot so far, it's so much more strategic than the Persona games! I like the fact that turn order can make or break any battle, it makes combat engaging instead of mechanic and repetitive. You have to think very carefully on every turn.

I'm also enjoying the interactions between characters more than I thought I would, it doesn't feel like a half-assed spin-off to me. Can't say I'm very interested in Zen and Rei for now though.

Guess I'll drop by here asking for sagely advice whenever I get stuck, I feel I'm just bruteforcing my way through the game and eventually I'll have to be more strategic or else I'll screw myself over in the long run.

I'm wondering one thing though: how long is this game on average? I'm playing from the P4 protagonist's perspective but I'd also like to see the P3 side. I fear I'll be burnt out if the main story is too long...

Depends on what mode you are playing. Did the risky mode and finished the first playthrough at around 85hrs due to some back and forth stuff. On my 2nd playthrough with P4 side and I'm already 10hrs and almost finished on the 4th dungeon. Basically the 2nd playthrough would be a breeze as you keep your level, items, compendium, money, equipment amd maps, even at risky.

I've played a good deal of both games (mostly 4), so I know all the characters. I just haven't finished them. Will that pose a problem or can i solve it by watching the respective anime
(Game was a Xmas gift)
You can jump right in. Persona Q offers a little extra for fans of P3/4 because it has a ton of fanservice, but make no mistake, this is a dungeon crawler in the way P3/4 weren't. The dungeon crawling and gameplay are much superior here and that's really where the heart of this game is imo.

It's a long game. It can take you anywhere from 50 -100 hrs depending on your style of play, battle speed settings and whether or not you plan to do everything.

Does luck influence Hama and Mudo? I'm building a persona with Mahammon and Mamudoon for Yukari and thr impure reach card since I benched Naoto in the beginning, but Yukari's stats besides magic are all piss poor.
It does, but honestly, Hama/Mudo are super effective in this game regardless. It's one of my few problems with the combat system. I had Yosuke (whose luck stat isn't much either) Hama/Mudoing enemies from as early as the second labyrinth.

bobohoro

It should, at least I believe the manual mentions this too.

Depends on difficulty, if you go for a full map/all quests and which battle speed you use. It took me 65hours, P4 side on hard, battle speed mostly normal and all quests done, most maps 100% and only a few at 99%.

If you want to rush it, I'd say 50 hours is possible. A second playthrough on the P3 side should take way less since you can carry over lots of things.

Top Bottom