• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantis

I saved it locally like a nerd.

GA6xg_zps9115a7cd.jpg

I think it's heavily weighted to final bosses in their respective games.

I like Raidou and all, but he wasn't exactly saving the world in his games and so it makes sense for him to be where he is.

It's also missing Seraph, who should really be right at the top.

Speaking of Raidou what are the chances of another game with him? Did the game do well in the US, second one never released over here.
I hope so!

I feel like it's a matter of Atlus having the teams to work on it.

P5 is probably eating up most employees, due to it being their second HD game.
I think Devil Survivor 2 was delayed for so long because Catherine turned out to be a much bigger project than they anticipated.

There's a team on SMT4.

Then another team of Etrian Odyssey.

And that's only the stuff that's announced. Busy studio.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I saved it locally like a nerd.

GA6xg_zps9115a7cd.jpg

I think it's heavily weighted to final bosses in their respective games.

I like Raidou and all, but he wasn't exactly saving the world in his games and so it makes sense for him to be where he is.

Hmm, I wish someone knowledgeable would be willing to spare me thoughts/explanation as to why character A is sitting in top tier and why character B is sitting in the second tier and so on and so forth. Their backstories of why they are placed on their tiers, I mean.

Dantis

Hmm, I wish someone knowledgeable would be willing to spare me thoughts/explanation as to why character A is sitting in top tier and why character B is sitting in the second tier and so on and so forth. Their backstories of why they are placed on their tiers, I mean.

I'd actually debate the orders. Serph fought God and won (And in the universe of DDS, God is the absolute power over creation), P3 protag got the power of the universe, which apparently gives him like, absolute power. Maya and Tatsuya only defeated Nyarlathotep, which is a comparatively small feat.

Narukami beat Izanami, which is nothing, considering her interests resided within Inaba. Persona 1 protagonist did even less than that, only defeating Pandora, who was pretty much just a Shadow.

demidar

Yeah, an explanation would be nice. Some of us are new to the SMT mythos you know. I can only identify P3 lead, P4 lead, Raidou, that Nocturne guy and Maya?.

Squire

Banned
I'd actually debate the orders. Serph fought God and won (And in the universe of DDS, God is the absolute power over creation), P3 protag got the power of the universe, which apparently gives him like, absolute power. Maya and Tatsuya only defeated Nyarlathotep, which is a comparatively small feat.

Narukami beat Izanami, which is nothing, considering her interests resided within Inaba. Persona 1 protagonist did even less than that, only defeating Pandora, who was pretty much just a Shadow.

So basically... P4 MC is the best no matter what.

Cool.

Oh god, I will do my best with a tiny partial list.

God Tier
Middle
Demifiend from SMT: Nocturne
1356638414545_zps5d360cc0.jpg

Defines what it means to be god-tier. Punches EVERYONE to death, has the ability to shape the universe however he wants. In the ending I consider canon for no reason whatsoever, he succeeds Lucifer as the lord of hell and becomes the ultimate lord of all demons, defeating all other potential gods.

Right
Protagonist from Devil Survivor 1
Turns out to be a reincarnation of Cain (of Cain and Abel fame), and ends up being able to become messiah of the demons, Lord Bal of the demons, or erasing them entirely.

Karma is a Bitch Tier
People more qualified than I can go into them

Power Overwhelming Tier
Right
P3 Protagonist
Defies the herald of death, fights for humanity to prevent their annihilation
SUCCEEDS (mostly), and his soul lives on a barrier between death and humanity. What a badass.

Extraordinarily Tier
Middle
Everyone's favorite P4 Protagonist
Saves a town (and maybe much more) from a malevolent Izanami by using his persona of Izanagi. Basically kills a Japanese god using another Japanese god. DBZ neckbeard power level is arguably higher with all his friends behind him (he did SOLO Izanami afterall), but he hasn't accomplished as much as the other tiers above him.

Right
Raidou Kuzunoha the 14th
Solving crimes and fighting morally ambiguous evil-doers circa the 20s. Still a student, pretty fantastic at his job, but may not even be the most powerful Kuzunoha (I think the Devil Summoner guy on the tier above him is an example). Kills Lucifer as an optional boss, but I don't think of that as canon. Doesn't necessarily save the world, but people are appreciative for what he does. Has his whole life ahead of him!

Normal Tier
Left
Devil Survivor 2 Protagonist
Mostly just along for the ride, hangs out with cooler people and fights aliens. One route involves him aligning himself with a mysterious person calling himself "The Anguished One" who sort of takes over and unofficially becomes the real protagonist.

Left Middle
Protagonist from Strange Journey
Mostly just a dude with an awesome looking helmet. Does his best, but is a pretty normal guy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Yeah, I mean, Raidou single-handedly defended the entire capital (Tokyo) twice from the assault of powerful demons (pulling off stuff like sinking a possessed aircraft carrier in the process, hahaha) and the Devil Survivor 2's protagonist lead a team that basically rewrite the history of the entire world... Narukami's feats are nothing compared to those two and yet the first is placed on the same level as him and the latter put even lower.

Dantis

Yeah, an explanation would be nice. Some of us are new to the SMT mythos you know. I can only identify P3 lead, P4 lead, Raidou, that Nocturne guy and Maya?.

Reading from left to right, it's

SMT2 protagonist
Demi-Fiend (SMT3)
DeSu protagonist
Maya Amano (P2)
Tatsuya Suou(P2)
Serph(DDS)
Devil Summoner protagonist
IF... protagonist
P3 protagonist
P1 protagonist
Yu Narukami (P4)
Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
DeSu 2 protagonist
Strange Journey protagonist
SMT1 protagonist
Soul Hackers protagonist

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh god, I will do my best with a tiny partial list.

God Tier
Middle

Right
Protagonist from Devil Survivor 1
Turns out to be a reincarnation of Cain (of Cain and Abel fame), and ends up being able to become messiah of the demons, Lord Bal of the demons, or erasing them entirely.

Also, can become the new good messiah or something along those lines.

cjkeats

Nope. The SMT2 protagonist is some amnesia guy or something.

I haven't actually played it, so I don't know for sure.

Yeah, it's the Megami Tensei games that got the same protag. I was confused because they looked simliar in early art and I've only read about them, never played.

Trigger

First, change that ugly-ass avatar, and maybe I will give you a slice. :p

Never!!
Or at least until I get bored of it. :p

Yeah, I mean, Raidou single-handedly defended the entire capital (Tokyo) twice from the assault of powerful demons (pulling off stuff like sinking a possessed aircraft carrier in the process, hahaha) and the Devil Survivor 2's protagonist lead a team that basically rewrite the history of the entire world... Narukami's feats are nothing compared to those two and yet the first is placed on the same level as him and the latter put even lower.

Well, he does outright beat up a goddess in a series where gods usually fuck people over.

demidar

Reading from left to right, it's

SMT2 protagonist
Demi-Fiend (SMT3)
DeSu protagonist
Maya Amano (P2)
Tatsuya Suou(P2)
Serph(DDS)
Devil Summoner protagonist
IF... protagonist
P3 protagonist
P1 protagonist
Yu Narukami (P4)
Raidou Kuzunoha XIV
DeSu 2 protagonist
Strange Journey protagonist
SMT1 protagonist
Soul Hackers protagonist

Actually I was looking for a more detailed explanation like what parappa did. Also I was under the impression that the P3 protag's life fucking sucks because he's a seal.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Well, he does outright beat up a goddess in a series where gods usually fuck people over.

And Raidou didn't even need 'the power of friendship' to do all that work, hahaha. He pretty much accomplished what he accomplished single-handedly, which is mightily much more impressive in my opinion than anything Narukami has done with his friends.

And Izanami didn't strike me as something that is overtly powerful when compared to many of the final bosses that other heroes had to defeat. Hell the DS2' protagonist and his team must contend on fighting the keeper of the history of the ENTIRE WORLD from the beginning of its conception until now (while fighting numerous alien-like entities that lay waste on the ENTIRE ARMY of Japan...) which was any way you put up is much more impressive than a bored goddess that did what she did because of... what exactly, she's bored?

That list is a list of innate power, not their feats. The DeSu 2 guy is a normal dude, who doesnt have amazing powers, but was simply chosen by the shining one etc, the others in Normal are just normal dudes boosted by the power of others/equipment, etc. Everyone in extraordinary are just that, extraordinary people, people who are gifted but are only a step above normal. I feel Yu should be one tier higher here. Tamaki should be one tier lower. Power Overwhelming is immense innate power, Kyoji Kuzunoha contains two souls inside of him now, P3 MC was once a normal dude but now he has death inside of him, etc. Karma is a bitch is like the ultimate tier of once normal people becomin something more. Tatsuya and Maya are essentially Philemon's chosen. The leader of Philemon's chosen. Maya is now basically the reason this new world exists. Serph is the strongest of the Avatar Tuners, and he eventually combined with Sera to become Seraph, who would be on God Tier here. God Tier is just that, God Tier. Demifiend and Devil Survivor 1 MC/Abel are the same thing almost in their respective universes. Power enough to be used by Lucifer to combat YHWH. SMT 2 MC is an artificial Jesus, the Messiah. He actually succeeded in killing YHWH.

I like to think of the canon characterization of the DeSu 2 MC are all the super silly dialogue options you can choose with him.

Also worth noting that all these people are beating up Metatron and destroying/saving universes like it's no big deal.

demidar

I like to think of the canon characterization of the DeSu 2 MC are all the super silly dialogue options you can choose with him.

Also worth noting that all these people are beating up Metatron and destroying/saving universes like it's no big deal.

Well Yu picked all the silliest dialogue choices in the Animation, but I'm not sure it's considered canon.

cj_iwakura

That's actually the female protagonist from If, Tamaki. She's in Persona 2 as a Devil Summoner, so she's the canon choice(a rare move).

Also, I assume Soul Hackers is ranked Normal because he's just a regular guy who summons demons, like DevS2 and SJ Protag.

Tamaki has multiple guardians backing her, and Devil Summoner/Kyouji likes to soul hop, so they're damn near immortal.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That list is a list of innate power, not their feats. The DeSu 2 guy is a normal dude, who doesnt have amazing powers, but was simply chosen by the shining one etc.

Well if you put it that way then Yu is even more fitting to be called 'very normal guy who got chosen by a random god' material, don't you think? Hell, the Demi-Fiend also fits this description since he's a normal guy before getting injected by Lucifer.

reposting what I just wrote cuz I accidentaly edited instead of new post:

That list is a list of innate power, not their feats. The DeSu 2 guy is a normal dude, who doesnt have amazing powers, but was simply chosen by the shining one etc, the others in Normal are just normal dudes boosted by the power of others/equipment, etc. Everyone in extraordinary are just that, extraordinary people, people who are gifted but are only a step above normal. I feel Yu should be one tier higher here. Tamaki should be one tier lower. Power Overwhelming is immense innate power, Kyoji Kuzunoha contains two souls inside of him now, P3 MC was once a normal dude but now he has death inside of him, etc. Karma is a bitch is like the ultimate tier of once normal people becomin something more. Tatsuya and Maya are essentially Philemon's chosen. The leader of Philemon's chosen. Maya is now basically the reason this new world exists. Serph is the strongest of the Avatar Tuners, and he eventually combined with Sera to become Seraph, who would be on God Tier here. God Tier is just that, God Tier. Demifiend and Devil Survivor 1 MC/Abel are the same thing almost in their respective universes. Power enough to be used by Lucifer to combat YHWH. SMT 2 MC is an artificial Jesus, the Messiah. He actually succeeded in killing YHWH.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The same can be said of the p3 protagonist though wouldn't it?

Which is why categorizing them into tiers based on their 'innate powers' is not a good idea since a lot of them are pretty much just normal guys before being thrown in into extraordinary circumstances where then they got amazing powers.

Hell, that makes Raidou's accomplishment even MORE impressive since his didn't get his abilities from a random powerful entity bestowing it to him.

SMT 2 MC is an artificial Jesus, the Messiah. He actually succeeded in killing YHWH.

Well if the theory about him being in Nocturne is true then he didn't really kill YHWH because the Big Bad Dude immediately reborn and punished him for all eternity for the sins of 'killing' Him.

Which is why categorizing them into tiers based on their 'innate powers' is not a good idea since a lot of them are pretty much just normal guys before being thrown in into extraordinary circumstances where then they got amazing powers.

Hell, that makes what Raidou's accomplishment even MORE impressive since his didn't get his abilities from a random powerful entity bestowing it to him.

The Yatagaratsu

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The Yatagaratsu

Hmmm I forget about this, hahaha.

Well, in any event, I stand in my opinion that Raidou is much more accomplished than Yu so it's not fair to put them both on the same tier. And basing their tier-ness based on their 'innate power' is silly, why wouldn't we do it based on what they have accomplished in the end?

Hmmm I forget about this, hahaha.

Well, in any event, I stand in my opinion that Raidou is much more accomplished than Yu so it's not fair to put them both on the same tier. And basing their tier-ness based on their 'innate power' is silly, why wouldn't we do it based on what they have accomplished in the end?

don't ask me, im not the one who made this, ask the random 4channer lel

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
don't ask me, im not the one who made this, ask the random 4channer lel

Hahahah yeah, that's right huh.

Gosh I sure sound like a huge Raidou's fanboy, yeah? Well I guess that's just because out of all persona/smt games I have played his design always sticks with me as the most badass-looking of them all.

Hahahah yeah, that's right huh.

Gosh I sure sound like a huge Raidou's fanboy, yeah? Well I guess that's just because out of all persona/smt games I have played his design always sticks with me as the most badass-looking of them all.

Seriously.

I recently posted this in the P4G thread, but his cameo in Nocturne was amazing. The way Gatou talked for him, the sound of his gun, the coincidence of him dodging the first hit in that fight, the fact that he was a demon summoner fighting another demon summoner.

So gorgeous in that engine, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom