• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Series Story & Spoilers, P4G Reflection, Persona 5 Speculation Inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

It's kind of weird that when the gang confront Adachi in the TV world they don't bring up that final consequence of his little game almost killed Nanako. Maybe they couldn't think of a way to write that where Adachi could give a believable response.

bonercop

It's kind of weird that when the gang confront Adachi in the TV world they don't bring up that final consequence of his little game almost killed Nanako. Maybe they couldn't think of a way to write that where Adachi could give a believable response.

Probably. Most of Adachi's character is that way.

Yeah, its especially odd since you, him and Nanako bond a lot during his social link. Hes more conflicted in his rank 9 and max rank though.

Trigger

I honestly think that he just doesn't care much. After the reveal he becomes unhinged.

Curufinwe

Yeah, its especially odd since you, him and Nanako bond a lot during his social link. Hes more conflicted in his rank 9 and max rank though.

Hah, I haven't seen those yet so I should probably come back to this discussion later. My latest save game is on 12/22 and I haven't started the Adachi dungeon, so I'll need to do it all in one day.

Sophia

That is why I kept my expectations in check....though I never planned for starting what I did, I opened a can of crazy.

Dude, you had IGOR next to Hanako Ohtani. HANAKO.

You didn't just open a can of crazy, you opened a portal to the Bermuda Triangle during The Dark Hour. >_>;

bonercop

You also posted the one with the nose in margarets butt, holmes. I wouldn't subject Persona Gaf to images that scaring and grotesque, nose sirree.

well, at least both of us had enough sense not to post the orgy or saki and morooka french kissing. insta-ban woulda been our fate.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
If shadows are human emotions given form, then what is Nyx, the entity that's IIRC called The Mother of All Shadows?

It is currently pounding on the Great Seal endlessly yes? So what is that thing anyway?

Moonlight

Banned
If shadows are human emotions given form, then what is Nyx, the entity that's IIRC called The Mother of All Shadows?

It is currently pounding on the Great Seal endlessly yes? So what is that thing anyway?
Nyx is, uh, humanity's unconscious wish for self-destruction. Probably. Maybe.

As opposed to Izanami, who was granting humanity's unconscious wish to live without the truth.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Nyx is, uh, humanity's unconscious wish for self-destruction. Probably. Maybe.

As opposed to Izanami, who was granting humanity's unconscious wish to live without the truth.

I thought the Humanity's unconscious wish for self-destruction is Erebus, not Nyx.

I just find it rather weird that currently there's a World-Ending entity looming and hovering over the earth in the Persona universe and yet the games after P3 don't really address this very significant issue. I mean, it's an entity powerful enough to destroy the entire world!

FluxWaveZ

I thought the Humanity's unconscious wish for self-destruction is Erebus, not Nyx.

From the Megami Tensei Wiki:
It is later revealed that Nyx herself is neither hostile nor malevolent, she was awakened from the sorrow, depression, and apathy of humankind, believing that humans were tired of living and thus, her duty to end their lives. Upon returning to the time where the protagonist seals Nyx, it is revealed that the protagonist is not planning to seal Nyx away from humanity, but Erebus, a manifestation of humanity's negative will and grief from contacting her to bring the Fall.

So I think Erebus' duty is to contact Nyx so that she can bring about the Fall.

Moonlight

Banned
If that's Erebus, then I apologize. I never finished the Answer.

I think 'world-ending entities looming and hovering over Earth' is pretty much just a thing in the Persona universe. Even without Nyx, you have Nyarlathotep hanging around somewhere, and Izanami promised to come back if humanity ever lost sight of the truth again.

I just find it rather weird that currently there's a World-Ending entity looming and hovering over the earth in the Persona universe and yet the games after P3 don't really address this very significant issue. I mean, it's an entity powerful enough to destroy the entire world!

There are other powers just as strong, or stronger just looming and hovering, waiting, yet they aren't addressed either.

Squire

Banned
Yes it was, so let's turn our frowns upside down. And also not turn this thread into that other one. Aeana, I summon thee! Please protect this thread :(

Your optimism know no limits, Armada. I like that ^_^

The spoiler/spec thread will be fine. No one posts here, but PersonaGAF and we obviously get on fairly well with each other.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
There are other powers just as strong, or stronger just looming and hovering, waiting, yet they aren't addressed either.

Hmmm.

But the game stated that Nyx was "the mother of all shadows", and seeing that shadows are the main antagonists of the Persona series I just thought It should have been addressed more.

Anyways, one thing that has been bothering me, more like a fun trivia really, but in P3 we actually see Nyx in its physical form coming down to the earth, so is it safe to assume that It is inhabiting the same physical realm as humanity in the Persona universe? What I mean is, say if there's an astronaut launching to space in Persona universe, will he can see it with his eyes pounding Minato's great seal? Just a random thought, hahaha.

Hmmm.

But the game stated that Nyx was "the mother of all shadows", and seeing that shadows are the main antagonists of the Persona series I just thought It should have been addressed more.

Nyarlathotep, the Crawling Chaos, would be above her.

Nyarlathotep is described as the destructive side of Humanity's collective unconscious, and as such, the living embodiment of Mankind's collective evil; every thought, action or feeling that derives in experiencing the desire to bring harm to others or oneself in any form fuels Nyarlathotep's existence. His reason for providing the human race with the means to drive itself to destruction is given as a bet between him and Philemon, who holds that they instead will ascend to a greater destiny.

He is also basically Philemon's opposite, Igor's boss.

He also describes himself as Humanity's Shadow, and controls all the shadow selves seen in Persona 2. He is also responsible for manipulating the whole P4A incident.

Moonlight

Banned
On the note of speculation/wishes, I really wish P5 makes more use of phones. Catherine had a really cool text message system, and it'd be neat if P5 cribbed off that or something. Like, selecting your message sentence by sentence. You could send/receive text messages to/from your social links and advance it a bit. And depending on what you send for the S-Link determines how big the boost from it you'd get. I started thinking more about this getting texts from party members in P4G to go to the movies with them. Dunno if it'd balance correctly within the context of time management in the social aspect of the game, though.

Squire

Banned
I think we pretty much all figure phones will tie in. One of P4's commentaries is how children are often raised by the TV; there's certainly a similar statement to be made about people and their cell phones in the modern era.

And yeah, that stuff would easily tie in to S. Linking.

kuroshiki

Nyarlathotep is described as the destructive side of Humanity's collective unconscious, and as such, the living embodiment of Mankind's collective evil; every thought, action or feeling that derives in experiencing the desire to bring harm to others or oneself in any form fuels Nyarlathotep's existence. His reason for providing the human race with the means to drive itself to destruction is given as a bet between him and Philemon, who holds that they instead will ascend to a greater destiny.

He also describes himself as Humanity's Shadow, and controls all the shadow selves seen in Persona 2. He is also responsible for manipulating the whole P4A incident.

Wait what? You sure?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well, considering that the game itself called Nyx as the Mother of All Shadows then it's only natural to think that all shadows came from her, and that she is the ultimate entity in the "world-destroying club" entities of the persona universe. Maybe all Shadows are born from Nyx but it Nyarlathotep is just powerful enough to control them? The game never IIRC actually explained her origin yeah? She's just like, there.

So Erebus = Desire to kill oneself, and Nyarlathotep = Desire to destroy others?

Gahh... elthough probably even the writers of the Persona series themselves are just throwing things out to see what sticks though in the Persona lore, hahaha.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Depending on who said it, 'mother of all Shadows' might just mean 'the biggest of all Shadows'.

I personally think that's a bit of a stretch... although I admittedly forgot who exactly said that one sentence in P3.

So if there is ever be an "Ultimate Boss", so to speak, in the Persona universe, it would be Nyarlathotep? Hmm, alright.

Also, IIRC Persona 5's theme would be "Puppeteers". It would be interesting to see how it's being handled.....

I personally think that's a bit of a stretch... although I admittedly forgot who exactly said that one sentence in P3.

So if there is ever be an "Ultimate Boss", so to speak, in the Persona universe, it would be Nyarlathotep? Hmm, alright.

Don't know. In the US, the mother of all insert thing here, like, mother of all storms, signifies the grandest, or biggest storms.

Yes, he would basically be the ultimate boss, matched by Philemon, though Crawling Chaos is stronger than him, in that Crawling Chaos directly acts.

Would love to see Azeroth(nyarlathotep's daddy) be a villain in p5. Someone on atlus forums had this neat little idea about Nebiros being a villain and the concept was very nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom