• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PES 2012 - Pro Evolution Soccer |OT| LONG LIVE THE KING.

spwolf

there are going to be community groups in mypes, where you can have up to 100 people in the same group playing games... i would guess they would be ranked based on that performance and keep stats vs each other, group based... just like stats from pes 2010, that was local only.

Thrakier

This game is pure soccer perfection. Just wish I'd still have a CRT. LCDs aren't optimised for fast moving soccer games. Still not. Whatever.

EDIT:

BTW, does anyone know how I can upload a replay I saved in the PC version?

ronaldo-gifwfam.gif

How did you make this gif?

rvy

Banned
Fraps for capture, Adobe ImageReady for .gif.

LCDs aren't optimised for fast moving soccer games. Still not. Whatever.
Someone who understands my pain. I only play PES on my old CRT. It's not a looker, but there's no input lag or shitty black levels.

rvy said:

Someone who understands my pain. I only play PES on my old CRT. It's not a looker, but there's no input lag or shitty black levels.

I tried using FRAPS the other day. 10-20 seconds of gameplay makes a 1 to 1.5 GB file for me. AM I doing something wrong?

Afrikan

rvy said:

isn't there suppose to be a Playstation VITA version.

is there input lag on OLED screens?

spwolf

rvy said:

thank god for my 50" Panny

:)

Thrakier

rvy said:

Problem is not the black level or the input lag (got no problemes here), it's the ghosting and smearing.

EDIT:

Do we already know how to get custom chants (bundesliga) in the game? PC Version.

Thrakier

I hate hate hate PC-gaming with a passion.

I got a problem with vsync in the full version of PES (was in the demo as well).

VSync on: Game is stuttering
Vsync off: Slowdowns and mad tearing
VSync D3D overrider: Much better than vsync by Konami
Triple buffering D3D + Vsync: Pretty much smooth.

I don't want to use tripple buffering though...so any idea where the problem is?

i5 2400
HD 6850
newest Catalyst

Thrakier said:
This game is pure soccer perfection. Just wish I'd still have a CRT. LCDs aren't optimised for fast moving soccer games. Still not. Whatever.

EDIT:

BTW, does anyone know how I can upload a replay I saved in the PC version?

ronaldo-gifwfam.gif

How did you make this gif?

So they fixed the goalies then?

PaulLFC said:
It's only delayed for the UK, for some ridiculous unknown reason.

It was delayed in the UK because Konami's Euro-partners and distributors got pissed off that many of our European friends take advantage of the relatively low price of games in the UK and buy from there. Ask a few of Euro-GAF and see how many order games from UK online shops. I must say from my experience abroad games ARE cheaper from UK online shops than European ones for the most part. Anyway that's apparently the reason.

Edit: Also, what's the best P**** for teams etc.? Any good ones out already? Dunno if we're allowed to discuss that so PM me and I'll shut up.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Not out in Scandinavia either. :(

And that's DEFINATELY not because it's cheap to buy from scandinavian online stores (probably among the most expensive places to buy games actually).

Jimrpg

i am probably asking the same question thats been asked a million times... but WHICH ONE... fifa or PES?

last time i played PES was PES 5. PES is amazing.

I've never played FIFA, but with all these reviews saying how much better it is... I'm torn.

After watching the videos, both games still look like they play exactly as I expected from 5 years ago... their philosophies haven't changed. PES is the beautiful game. FIFA has a new coat of paint but doesn't look like it plays well.

what do people think who have played both?

Datschge

arbok26 said:
i am probably asking the same question thats been asked a million times... but WHICH ONE... fifa or PES?
If you want organic AI with nice team movements and matches always feeling different each time it's PES over FIFA.
If you want full team control it's PES on the Wii with its Playmaker controls.
If you want the closest thing there is to a modern PES 5 it's PES on Wii with its Classic controls.

rvy

Banned
whatsinaname said:
I tried using FRAPS the other day. 10-20 seconds of gameplay makes a 1 to 1.5 GB file for me. AM I doing something wrong?
Depends, are you playing at 1920? Not really if you are.

Eh, some more time with the game, downloaded the PESEdit Patch, got every team with emblems and kits correct, but the passing is really turning me off. I don't even know what to set the assistance to anymore. I was doing fine in the 2nd demo, but not with the final game.
Lobbed through balls are bullshit in this game, invisible trajectory line is back. Yeah, yeah, I know about Super Cancel, it makes no sense for a Super Cancel to exist even.

Maybe it's because I'm alternating between this and FIFA. I'll wait for the Konami update and decide whether to stick around or not then.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
FIFA for PS3 and online.
PES for Wii for just fun and friends.
PES for on the go and online for handheld.

Good year.

marc^o^ said:
Played the demo twice and uninstalled it. At this point PES needs a HD version of the wii controls. Trying to replicate it on a dualshock is a bad, bad idea.

I would get the PS Move if they actually did that.

spwolf

rvy said:
Depends, are you playing at 1920? Not really if you are.

Eh, some more time with the game, downloaded the PESEdit Patch, got every team with emblems and kits correct, but the passing is really turning me off. I don't even know what to set the assistance to anymore. I was doing fine in the 2nd demo, but not with the final game.
Lobbed through balls are bullshit in this game, invisible trajectory line is back. Yeah, yeah, I know about Super Cancel, it makes no sense for a Super Cancel to exist even.

Maybe it's because I'm alternating between this and FIFA. I'll wait for the Konami update and decide whether to stick around or not then.

konami update will update players? i doubt it will do anything to gameplay or passing. PES likes it simple when it comes to gameplay, too much fifa for you :)

spwolf

Datschge said:
If you want organic AI with nice team movements and matches always feeling different each time it's PES over FIFA.
If you want full team control it's PES on the Wii with its Playmaker controls.
If you want the closest thing there is to a modern PES 5 it's PES on Wii with its Classic controls.

this years PES is a lot like PES5/PES6, except without all the annoying shit.

spwolf

Datschge said:
Glad to hear it finally caught up with PES Wii Classic then.

you mean PS2 right? Since thats where the Wii engine comes from :p.
But again, without annoying shit that makes me wonder if all the people that want it to be like PES5/6 remember actually playing those games :).

Datschge

spwolf said:
The Wii engine is significantly beyond the PS2 one since some time already. The AI improvements you got this year were introduced in last year's Wii version etc.

rvy

Banned
spwolf said:
konami update will update players? i doubt it will do anything to gameplay or passing. PES likes it simple when it comes to gameplay, too much fifa for you :)
I'm sure they're going to balance the game a bit more, fix a few things here and there. All the other games were different by the last update. The passing is just something I need to get used to, it's just hard to play one game after the other because they're so different.

And watching a bald Axel Witsel just makes me want to scream.

cozo

in like flynn for the return of the king

I've been out the hunt since PES5 but demo 2 was so good - like that they've actually realised it doesn't hurt to nick some of FIFA's good ideas (semi & full manual passing, send player on run e.g.)

PES' tactical defending (brought in by PES2011 btw) is also a lot more intuitive and no less deep than the system FIFA's brought in for FIFA12

feel

Still waiting for my copy to arrive. :/ My friend failed to find one on the 27 before boarding the plane to return from the US (to Venezuela).

spwolf said:
imho werent really an problem in 1.0 either. people bitch too much.

well that depends... if you are fine with abysmal and utterly unacceptable Goalie AI then yeah it's really not a problem!

Seriously, i make a slow pass back towards my keeper... guess what? he simply stands there and it goes in!

Also sometimes you take a shot that is super slow and far away and goes STRAIGHT at the keeper... the ball magically flies through his hands... those are supposed to be the best goalies in the world mind you, not some amateurs, hell even I could do WAY better than this!

watch some of the videos someone posted further up i believe to see what mean if you are still not convinced, they NEED fixing and that ASAP!

spwolf

Thrakier said:

I got a problem with vsync in the full version of PES (was in the demo as well).

I don't want to use tripple buffering though...so any idea where the problem is?

i5 2400
HD 6850
newest Catalyst

i had a stutter last year, turned out to be crappy HDD.

spwolf

Winnie the Pimp said:
well that depends... if you are fine with abysmal and utterly unacceptable Goalie AI then yeah it's really not a problem!

Seriously, i make a slow pass back towards my keeper... guess what? he simply stands there and it goes in!

Also sometimes you take a shot that is super slow and far away and goes STRAIGHT at the keeper... the ball magically flies through his hands... those are supposed to be the best goalies in the world mind you, not some amateurs, hell even I could do WAY better than this!

watch some of the videos someone posted further up i believe to see what mean if you are still not convinced, they NEED fixing and that ASAP!

i noticed that only in one game of BAL where keeper was 50, but i never noticed anything similar in 1vs1... although i am playing with 1.01

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thrakier said:

i5 2400
HD 6850
newest Catalyst
Your card probably goes into 2D clock mode.
Google "PES 2D clock stuttering" or similar. And yes, that crazy fix is REAL (have a 3D demo or something like the old aliasing scene in the old version of Catalyst going on in the background while you play the game).

Why don't you want to use triple buffering btw? It's pretty much required to fix v-sync's introducing input lag.

Had terrible stuttering aswell. Turns out I had to change my resolution from 1080p 50hz to 60hz which solved all my stuttering issues.

Ryck

Got Pes over the weekend and after a few days I am completely in love with this game. Looks like king really is back this year. So glad I decided to go against my instincts and buy the game.

Quick questions from someone who's not done any reading about the game:

1. How's the online play for the PC version? Populated? How's the lag? Think it'll still be relatively easy to find opponents a few months from now or will it be dead?

2. 360 controller support solid?

3. DRM?

Had no idea this came out already. I'm kinda disappointed with the AI in FIFA 12 so I'm thinking about picking this up instead.

Downloading the demo now... it came out over a month ago, wtf? Is Konami just terrible at marketing? Why is FIFA 12 so well known and in the spotlight, even the PC version, but this is non-existent. Konami's site doesn't even have a download link for the demo... had to Google it and download off Fileplanet. This is so weird.

Wait, I'm confused. Is the game not out yet for PC in NA? IGN says November 12 but CDwow.com has it for sale...I'm guessing it's the EU version since the site is UK. Why is the NA version delayed a month+? If I buy it off CDwow, it'll be the same as the NA? I dunno what's going on.

Iztli

Why is this game so hard to buy on PC in the US? Konami could seriously sell this game like crazy if they sold it on steam :O since EA ignores it..

Iztli said:
Why is this game so hard to buy on PC in the US? Konami could seriously sell this game like crazy if they sold it on steam :O since EA ignores it..
It's ridiculous. Never seen anything like this for a major release. You can't even buy it off their site... says it's not my region: http://uk-konami.gamesplanet.com/shop/pes2012?affiliate=pes2012uk
When you click the buy button it takes you to that EU page. Don't think they have an NA site

Thrakier

Dash Kappei said:
Your card probably goes into 2D clock mode.
Google "PES 2D clock stuttering" or similar. And yes, that crazy fix is REAL (have a 3D demo or something like the old aliasing scene in the old version of Catalyst going on in the background while you play the game).

Why don't you want to use triple buffering btw? It's pretty much required to fix v-sync's introducing input lag.

I thought triple buffering introduces delay? Game is unplayable with without v-sync, I get slowdowns all the time.

oh, and Triple buffering makes all my cutscenes run in 30FPS. Don't know why becuase when it was working without triple buffering (which happens from time to time, it's kinda random) it was running with 60FPS all the time, in cutscenes as well.

This game is broken... o_O

Thrakier

spwolf said:
i had a stutter last year, turned out to be crappy HDD.

That wouldn't explain why it's only PES, why it SOMETIMES runs normal with V-Sycn and why it ALWAYS runs good with D3D Triple Buffering.

elfinke

So I loved the hell out PES last year, first footy game I've bought and kept in a while (since the PS2 was primary console I guess). Is this years' iteration enough of an upgrade fro it to be worthwhile?

I grabbed last years on the 360 and never once got into an online game, ever. Online was beyond terribad (AusGAF here) - has that been improved at all (though I would grab any new one for PS3 now - not even sure why I grabbed the 360 version last year, oh well).

Someone mentioned PS Move before, this is a good idea - why hasn't FIFA or PES jumped on it?! Wii PES is marvellous for this reason alone!

spwolf said:
mostly because game starts selling oct 14th in most of the world :)
Then why does it say on Konami's site and press releases that the release date is the 27th? Also, why isn't it available to pre-order on any site on the net except for CDnow.com, a random UK site? What the heck is going on...I'm getting frustrated.

Holy crap, just played the demo and it's awesome. It plays better than FIFA. Why is there no graphics settings? wtf? You can't even change the resolution... I hope this is a demo-only thing.

Dash Kappei

Thrakier said:
I thought triple buffering introduces delay? Game is unplayable with without v-sync, I get slowdowns all the time.

oh, and Triple buffering makes all my cutscenes run in 30FPS. Don't know why becuase when it was working without triple buffering (which happens from time to time, it's kinda random) it was running with 60FPS all the time, in cutscenes as well.

This game is broken... o_O

Triple buffering fixes the inherent lag introduced by v-sync on 3D games. Use DR3D overrider with TB on, v-.sync on in D3DO and off in-game (don't have it on in both, again leave it off in-game).
•If you have stuttering, you need to check if you're really running the game at 60hz and not 59Hz.
•If you have slowdowns (it's different, and before you said stuttering but above you say slowdowns) then it's sure to be the 2D clock bug and again it's fixable the way I told you (there's also a permament solution in having your card always and only run with the 3D clock but I wouldn't advice that). On AMD/Ati cards (like mine) it doesn't happen only with pes, but also with Fifa (at least till last year's version) for example (and some other "light" games).
Tl/dr just run some not-too-heavy 3D engine demo like the one in the old catalyst where you could see AA/AF and so on in action: leave it going in loop on the background, launch PES full screen and the card's gonna stay in 3D clock and the game be smooth as butter.

Dash Kappei

Heavy said:
Holy crap, just played the demo and it's awesome. It plays better than FIFA. Why is there no graphics settings? wtf? You can't even change the resolution... I hope this is a demo-only thing.

In the final game you can only change rez, refresh and have three baked settings as low, middle, high. That's it, like every year :(
But the game's a looker, much better than FIFA especially players' wise (facial textures and so on)

spwolf

Dash Kappei said:
In the final game you can only change rez, refresh and have three baked settings as low, middle, high. That's it, like every year :(
But the game's a looker, much better than FIFA especially players' wise (facial textures and so on)

i thought FIFA on PC is now same as on consoles?

Dash Kappei

spwolf said:
i thought FIFA on PC is now same as on consoles?

It is. PES looks better :)

spwolf said:

Uhmm, last one you've played probably must have been PES Wii 2008, there have been *massive* improvements over the ps2 engine, and the two versions (ps2 and wii) don't play alike by any stretch of imagination using classic controls (in fact, last year ps2 pes was utter crap). I have yet to try this year's Wii version since I only have the pc one for now, but there's no doubt PES Wii was the best pes out there even for last year's versions (which I liked on pc), and I mean by playing with classic controls.
Try it, you'll be pleasently surprised, it's just freakin' fabulous! All I want is that gameplay with an HD coat.. unfortunately since they're different teams working on Wii and Seabass for the "big" brothers, I don't see that happening soon :-(

edit: good call spat_triate! i thought it was well known that first and foremost you need to check "wait for v-sync" disabling frame skipping, but apparently it isn't! ;)
Everything I've wrote above remain valid, hopefully it'll help someone.

Top Bottom