• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

Man Sega REALLY needs to get going on a Western release. I desperately want it for Vita but I'd settle for an English release on PC.

They would probably be so slow on updating it if they do release it...yea gonna stick with the Japanese version but hey if it does come out, I'll get it.

The odds that somebody comes up with a method to slipstream the English localization into the JP game is pretty good, I wager.

Also I finally beat MB10 the other day, and all those English NPC names... We've been spelling it wrong all this time D:

VariantX

Man Sega REALLY needs to get going on a Western release. I desperately want it for Vita but I'd settle for an English release on PC.

It is very troubling that they've said nothing other than its been delayed to an unknown date for over an year since the localized version showed up at PAX. If sega says nothing about it during E3, id suggest you just patch the JP version and just play that version.

Wonko_C

It is very troubling that they've said nothing other than its been delayed to an unknown date for over an year since the localized version showed up at PAX. If sega says nothing about it during E3, id suggest you just patch the JP version and just play that version.

I'm starting to suspect the PAX build is the only time they did any localization work on the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, Quartz and Chrome Dragon fights were both really neat. The basic English translations have made this game SIGNIFICANTLY more playable. My next thing is that I'm going to consider buying AC to get two more mags (pure Strike and pure Tech) and more storage space.

Kokonoe

Banned
They should just make it a international server, worked out well for FFXI and this way no one has to wait for updates. People already play with each other just fine across the many languages that play on the Japanese servers.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
They should just make it a international server, worked out well for FFXI and this way no one has to wait for updates. People already play with each other just fine across the many languages that play on the Japanese servers.

This would be smart, but I wonder if there really are licensing issues with certain things in the west (Hatsune Miku stuff comes to mind).

This would be smart, but I wonder if there really are licensing issues with certain things in the west (Hatsune Miku stuff comes to mind).

That, and there would be issues localizing the payment systems - they wouldn't be able to reduce the real money value of AC without risking reverse importation, so they wouldn't be able to react if not enough people from certain regions buy in.

And beyond all this, it's a question of if the Japanese player base want even more foreigners sharing their servers.

Kokonoe

Banned
I doubt anyone from any country that plays MMOs are going to care that more people born from different areas of the world will be on, at least that never bothered me playing with Japanese players on FFXI. It's also not like there isn't tons of channels either.

Anyhow, any licensing or whatever issues that possibly could come up with be much less expensive than releasing a lackluster US release that ends up dying 4-5 years down the road like it's predecessors.

Blueblur1

That, and there would be issues localizing the payment systems - they wouldn't be able to reduce the real money value of AC without risking reverse importation, so they wouldn't be able to react if not enough people from certain regions buy in.

And beyond all this, it's a question of if the Japanese player base want even more foreigners sharing their servers.

I never thought of the AC issue. Especially if the Western version of the game is supposed to support American and European audiences. Even supporting just North America involves two different currencies. Yikes.

So I finally managed to get the game running. Except... now it doesn't recognize my ID, so there's that. Horray for endless hiragana decoding fun, yet again, huh?

Which server should I be connecting to, btw?

Ok, so... where do I make the game fullscreen and where do I alter the resolution? Because the video options include none of that. Also, there's a fair amount of stuff still in Japanese, even with all the patches, is that normal?

(Figured it out, but still haven't figured out the part below).

Edit:
Yeah, all the tutorials are in Japanese. Are they supposed to be?

qq more

Ok, so... where do I make the game fullscreen and where do I alter the resolution? Because the video options include none of that. Also, there's a fair amount of stuff still in Japanese, even with all the patches, is that normal?

You might be able to change the resolution in the launcher's settings menu. Also yes, that's normal.

So I am almost getting to the point where my characters are finally where I want them to be.

Over Golden Week I finally unlocked the Fighter class and worked on getting it to the mid 20s.
I plan to make my main basically a clone of the HUnewearl I played in PSO. Double saber with some tech usage. Now I know that is a clusterfuck for anyone trying min/max but I don't care. :)

Being able to grind in VH with my Force and then turn in any completed quests with my Fighter is pretty awesome. Now that my Fighter can do Hard mode I have stopped doing that but it was a good way to get the class to 1-20 without having to go back to normal.

On the flip side I also managed to unlock the Gunner class on my sub which gives me some variety to play with.

My biggest peeve at the moment is the fact that I don't really care for most of the female Cast body parts. After seeing that one awesome arm piece for male casts (with the torn cape- cant remember the name) I am jealous. Thinking of making a HU Cast on Ship 2 just so I can buy that before the prices on the My Shop get TOO ridiculous.

Kokonoe

Banned
Fighter is finally level 30, now I'll just keep my sub at that for a while and just focus on Hunter now. Two level 30s, not so bad.

Midou

Yeah I managed to find it out with some googling.

It's a shame, I though the thing was 100% translated... :p

It's 100% translated for everything relevant. It does make it a bit harder at first, but after you play for like a week, anything you see and do in your day to day is english. Item names are not translated as they are server side, but the only important things for those are usually numbers (if it's a weapon/armour) stuff like healing items have icons that are easy to recognize. In the end, it isn't harder than playing like a fighting game in Japanese.

SEGA better drop some bombs about a English version on this years E3

Announcing PSO2 for the west! Explore 4 distinct areas! Level up all the way to 30!

That's been my fear all along, but if they were to make international servers, sega of america would be forced to work in parallel with Japan on each content update which is how it should be.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Playing this game makes me want to learn at least some rudimentary Japanese so I can read and understand some of what I'm picking up and doing.

Wonko_C

Playing this game makes me want to learn at least some rudimentary Japanese so I can read and understand some of what I'm picking up and doing.

Learning Katakana (Takes a couple of days to memorize all 48 characters) helps a lot with item names since most of them are taken from English.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Learning Katakana (Takes a couple of days to memorize all 48 characters) helps a lot with item names since most of them are taken from English.

Interesting, thanks...I will likely print off a sheet and read it between things. I'd love to at least have a feel for items, ha.

Cmagus

Just got my Gunner to 30 finally now to push for 37 I really want VH mode. Although my Ranger is at 36 I honestly couldn't stand that class so getting gunner up is worth it imo. Plus I am doing pretty crazy damage right now.

im4iWgABI5P9K.png

ibeJ11JiapYpdL.png

iIhtKfcUSetu2.png

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just got my Gunner to 30 finally now to push for 37 I really want VH mode. Although my Ranger is at 36 I honestly couldn't stand that class so getting gunner up is worth it imo. Plus I am doing pretty crazy damage right now.

Why don't you like Ranger? I'm only level 15, but I LOVE launchers and have been really enjoying the class to this point. I am, however, looking very forward to using TMGs...

Cmagus

Why don't you like Ranger? I'm only level 15, but I LOVE launchers and have been really enjoying the class to this point. I am, however, looking very forward to using TMGs...

I felt the same way at 15 but I got sick of launchers especially as things got harder. Maybe it was the way I was setup but the damage output I get now far outweighs what my Ranger was doing. I am just working on my build now trying to get the most dps possible.

This is kind of what I am working with and current stats.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
My life may change as things grow. I'm working with a pure R-Atk mag and enjoying launcher damage. It could just be that I have a great launcher right now. Rifles just do meh damage for me.

I've got the worst(best?) luck on free exploration. Any emergency quest that isn't even related to a boss, the game immediately changes over to duel so it can pop a boss...or two lol. Sometimes it just throws a boss at me. It's a shame I'm Force/Techer, or else I'd be killing them much quicker.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I've got the worst(best?) luck on free exploration. Any emergency quest that isn't even related to a boss, the game immediately changes over to duel so it can pop a boss...or two lol. Sometimes it just throws a boss at me. It's a shame I'm Force/Techer, or else I'd be killing them much quicker.

I remember playing during Open and running into dual bosses with my friend. It was fun though because there were still a lot of lowbies running around to gang up on them.

I remember playing during Open and running into dual bosses with my friend. It was fun though because there were still a lot of lowbies running around to gang up on them.

Yea it's real fun when you're with friends, not so fun when the boss appearances skyrocket while you're solo lol

Wonko_C

Fiiiiiiinally reached Lv40 and unlocked Very Hard, I'll actually be able to play with Team GAF now. (Unless 40 is still too low you LV56+ dudes and I end up dying in one hit :p)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Woo - level 16! Ha. Exp isn't as fast as it was in the PSO days, but it works. Is there any good way to grind out levels, or is it really just slowly plug away and complete quests?

Woo - level 16! Ha. Exp isn't as fast as it was in the PSO days, but it works. Is there any good way to grind out levels, or is it really just slowly plug away and complete quests?

The Amelin quests give out great exp...otherwise do free exploration on anything but Caves and focus on EQ's, imo.

Flag quests that involve farming for items in the area of your choosing so you can knock those out. Also join up in hard mode EQ's but don't shoot for the boss, just hang around the other players and do EQ's...once you unlock hard mode that is.

Gattuso

Its so hard doing quests by myself I cant even rely on friend partners because there not doing there job which is staying alive long enough to distract the enemies so I can still do all the work.
edit: what times are easiest to join team neogaf?

kiryogi

Banned
Is there any benefit to joining a team?

And yeah, you guys were right about Over end, I just hit 23k on Falz's arm.

Ultimate?

Possibly!

"Monsters seem to get new (or modified) behaviors on the next difficulty up, which is currently being called... err... "SuperVeryHard". For instance, Signo Beat seems to be able to create giant holograms (or something)."

Top Bottom