• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantasy Star Online 2 Import |OT2| Item Names in English!

Sega hates money.

Actually, I was just ruminating in one of the Atlus threads last week about this:

I've had a lot of time to think about exactly -why- PSO2 isn't here yet. What a lot of people don't seem to realize is, as a free to play game, just how dependent the game is on players buying into its lottery systems to remain profitable. The online game situation in Japan is -very- different from the online game situation here, and try as I might, I just don't see the game's method of monetization (which is essentially counting on a rich minority of the player base dumping wads of cash every other week to pad their virtual closets) working out here nearly as well, and I think that's the big stumbling block that needs to be out of the way for this thing to happen.

Also:

I think the english patchers killed a lot of the incentive to bring the game over legitimately. A good chunk of the people who would play PSO2 are already playing and paying. The ones playing now are also more likely to be the big spenders, as they're already franchise fans. If the fans are already playing the game and paying you, what incentive is there to putting money into localizing it?

NolbertoS

I'm thinking of importing the PS Vita version soon. My japanese is rusty, so i'm hoping there's an Engrish patch for PSO. I heard you need to create a Japanese PSN Account. I've never created a Japanese PSN account before, so hope its not as complex, if anybody has a link.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm thinking of importing the PS Vita version soon. My japanese is rusty, so i'm hoping there's an Engrish patch for PSO. I heard you need to create a Japanese PSN Account. I've never created a Japanese PSN account before, so hope its not as complex, if anybody has a link.
English patch is only for the pc version.

Reknoc

You don't need a japanese PSN account if you're getting the physical version.

Maligna

Banned
Perhaps Sega should just release a stand alone $60 version of the game, if they are worried about the F2P model not working?

I tried this when it first came out in beta but quit until translations and content came out. This topic reminded me about the game and have now started a Braver. Most English speakers in ship 2?

Perhaps Sega should just release a stand alone $60 version of the game, if they are worried about the F2P model not working?

Why would anyone pay $60 given anyone can play on the Japanese servers for free with a little effort? And then they'd be facing the Internet's wrath over the pricing disparity. Lose-lose.

VariantX

I don't think they'd make as much money with the $60 model. Seems like you can't just buy what you want, but have to go through a lottery type system to get extras like costumes. The only other way to get them is through people selling unwanted stuff they got through that lottery for a buttload of ingame currency. That kind of stuff wont fly in the west, where we're used to buying exactly what we want, when we want it at a fixed price.

VariantX

So basically, what you're saying is I'll never get to play the sequel to one of my favorite games of all time...

Bummer. :(

If you're willing to install a few patches, you can still play it. For having servers all the way in japan, it plays suprisingly well for people from the rest of the world.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Okay, so perusing this thread (didn't read the entire thing) it sounds like PSO2 is both free to play and translated into English, and even though I am in the USA I should be able to get it installed and working with minimal hassle? And play for free?

Honestly this sounds too good to be true.

I'm only thinking of it now because I got my Dreamcast out last night (for the first time in years) and played a bit of the original PSO (offline). This game had me by the soul back when it came out, I've literally spent hundreds of hours playing PSO, a lot of that with GAF members too. Nostalgia kicked in hard when I entered the ship lobby and heard that music once more...

Part of me wants to try out this new PSO2 for the PC, while part of me also fears the loss of my free time to this game again...

The translation patches are kind of iffy; there have been a lot of reports in this thread recently of places where the game will freeze up at certain points because of problems with the translated data, leaving you no recourse but to close the game and restart without patches to get past such points. I've also heard but not been able to independently verify that portions of the story translation are of questionable accuracy, and even if that is not the case the story translation is not yet complete.

I just play without using any of the translation patches, and use bumped.org and Cirnopedia to look up things whenever needed.

It is true that you can make an account and play completely free of charge, though.

On time investment: counting from open beta (the first beta period where data was permanent) I recently passed the 2000 hour mark on my main, and both my alts are nearing 100 hours each...

ezodagrom

Has MB14 not unlocked for anybody else yet? Do I need to do the Aki branch of EP2E2 as well as the Sara one?
You need to do both Aki and Sara Ep2 Ch2 routes and also the new Ep1 Ch8 route that is unlocked after the Ep2 Ch2 Sara route.

The translation patches are kind of iffy; there have been a lot of reports in this thread recently of places where the game will freeze up at certain points because of problems with the translated data, leaving you no recourse but to close the game and restart without patches to get past such points. I've also heard but not been able to independently verify that portions of the story translation are of questionable accuracy, and even if that is not the case the story translation is not yet complete.

I just play without using any of the translation patches, and use bumped.org and Cirnopedia to look up things whenever needed.

It is true that you can make an account and play completely free of charge, though.

On time investment: counting from open beta (the first beta period where data was permanent) I recently passed the 2000 hour mark on my main, and both my alts are nearing 100 hours each...
The core english patch and large files patch usually don't have issues, as long as they're updated to the newest version.
Sometimes, when a new version is required for the large files patch, it may take a week or two for the patch team to get it ready, though they usually warn not to use the previous version in this topic:
http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206

About the story patch, that one is more problematic due to how massive it is.
I recently joined the story patch team, going to be mostly checking the translation for mistakes and what scenes may be missing translation, though this is going to be a very long process. :x

Finally got around to making some use of the upgrade bonus: got the level 3 unlock for my Dagash Talis (yay 10% Darker damage boost), spending around 360 grinders and 45 +1 risk protects. I should probably look into doing some Hunter and Braver weapons too before this boost ends... I'm hearing that maintenance is three hours early this week x.x

I don't suppose anyone else needs to do a full run of the Ruins Extreme Quest? I need one more catalyst and the majority of people I know have already gotten everything they intend to get from it .-.

Parfait

Actually, I was just ruminating in one of the Atlus threads last week about this:

~~~Words~~~:

I agree about how the pay2doanything monetization style and heavy netcafe influence/bonus for the game aren't really marketable in the west, but I can't agree that the english patch killed any motivation for the game to come to the west.

They could have done a lot better. They just didn't want to put in any effort into a localization. Worse, the game is technically a huge mess(patching takes far, far too long), PSO2 is a f2p game that pretty much blows all other f2p games out the water, but they fucked up at the design stage where it was 'hey lets make them pay money to trade lel', 'lets make those who pay money to play our lottery get unlimited ingame money because they got this cute swimsuit that can be sold on the AH', instead of better pay implementation.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I agree about how the pay2doanything monetization style and heavy netcafe influence/bonus for the game aren't really marketable in the west, but I can't agree that the english patch killed any motivation for the game to come to the west.

They could have done a lot better. They just didn't want to put in any effort into a localization. Worse, the game is technically a huge mess(patching takes far, far too long), PSO2 is a f2p game that pretty much blows all other f2p games out the water, but they fucked up at the design stage where it was 'hey lets make them pay money to trade lel', 'lets make those who pay money to play our lottery get unlimited ingame money because they got this cute swimsuit that can be sold on the AH', instead of better pay implementation.
You realize that if you're in Japan patching takes a normal amount of time?
File deletion fiasco aside, I didn't have any problems with the game since I switched to the borderless full screen mode.

Kokonoe

Banned
1. Is the Android version of Phantasy Star Online 2 out? (if not, any release date?)
2. Does the Android version play on it's own servers or will you be able to play with PC/Vita?

1. Is the Android version of Phantasy Star Online 2 out? (if not, any release date?)
2. Does the Android version play on it's own servers or will you be able to play with PC/Vita?

I haven't heard anything about PSO2es since closed beta ended. IMO, it has a long way to go; I couldn't even bear it long enough to make it to level 30 for the maximum participation award, which probably would have taken me another hour from where I stopped.

It uses your character data but is strictly a single player twitch gaming experience; you'll find more complicated combat in Infinity Blade than PSO2es.

Kokonoe

Banned
Haven't played in a while, but I just hopped on and ran into this ???? warper at the end that was rainbow instead of blue.

ir0BoDq5ZNscp.jpg

Took me here

iNtaDXMyHo5vW.jpg

And it started raining rappies.

iZGLzgKoKnjOO.jpg

ikNtmA9POjxeB.jpg

Also did Super Hard Forest Exploration and noticed the Rockbear fights a bit smarter which was fun.

Kokonoe

Banned
I still want the Jungle or even the original Beach area from PSO1 Episode 2. It'd be EPIC seeing those remade in HD...

Would be sweet. It'd be even cooler if they add a small portion of the PSO1 Jungle theme into it like they do with some of the other tracks in this game. And yes, we need a Gryphon in this game.

Seabed's been known for a long time, it was even playable at TGS. (If you were willing to get a ticket to wait an hour in line for it... I wasn't)

So as far as throwback levels go we got Forest, Caves, Mines, and ruins Ruins already with Seaside and Seabed now (and maybe Temple if you count the Dragon Altar). I'm hoping we get Jungle next, or something similar..

DJIzana

Seabed's been known for a long time, it was even playable at TGS. (If you were willing to get a ticket to wait an hour in line for it... I wasn't)

So as far as throwback levels go we got Forest, Caves, Mines, and ruins Ruins already with Seaside and Seabed now (and maybe Temple if you count the Dragon Altar). I'm hoping we get Jungle next, or something similar..

Be that as it may, looks like they're talking about releasing relatively soon though... which is a bonus.

And yeah, it'd be nice to get the old school music to go along with the older PSO1 inspired areas. Heck, are you able to modify the sound files to do this? I would just do that instead but hearing remastered tracks would be better.

Be that as it may, looks like they're talking about releasing relatively soon though... which is a bonus.

And yeah, it'd be nice to get the old school music to go along with the older PSO1 inspired areas. Heck, are you able to modify the sound files to do this? I would just do that instead but hearing remastered tracks would be better.

The music in the fields is generated phrase by phrase depending on the weather/PSE/enemies/etc so you can't replace the songs themselves. The best you can do is mute it and play your own tracks. Some of the field songs feature snippets of older songs, though. Forest has the obvious PSO Forest battle theme as well as PSZ's ruins theme and I think the first area from PSP2.

Is there a list out there with all the musical references/throwbacks? I'm all interested now.

DJIzana

The music in the fields is generated phrase by phrase depending on the weather/PSE/enemies/etc so you can't replace the songs themselves. The best you can do is mute it and play your own tracks. Some of the field songs feature snippets of older songs, though. Forest has the obvious PSO Forest battle theme as well as PSZ's ruins theme and I think the first area from PSP2.

Is there a list out there with all the musical references/throwbacks? I'm all interested now.

Yeah, I recognized that the Forest area had parts. I could pick up on any from the caves or anywhere else though... not yet at least.

Managed to goof up and add one Ability to what was going to be a pure Striking mag. This is after I already screwed up a pure Technic mag exactly the same way. GDI

Parfait

You realize that if you're in Japan patching takes a normal amount of time?
File deletion fiasco aside, I didn't have any problems with the game since I switched to the borderless full screen mode.

I can't honestly say anything about download speed since i dont get any values. But it can take like an hour to patch if i use the Tweaker, and that's for just regular updates. If something goes wrong and I have to do shit from scratch I may as well leave it running all night. Japan or no I have literally never run into anything that takes so long to patch up.

That's my only real technical issue. Otherwise the game actually runs real well.

ezodagrom

Posted about that in another topic once before. ^^
I like how some bits of music from previous games made it into PSO2 areas.
For example, in the link you posted about the Coast area music, the part at 7:05 is from Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSsKpWETJLw#t=1m55s

Other bits from previous games that I can remember right now, let's see, there's bits of the PSO1 forest music in the PSO2 forest, bits of the PSZero snow area in the PSO2 Tundra, bits of the Portable 2 Infinity Sacred Ark in the Sanctum area, and one that is very rare to happen, a bit of the PSO1 seabed in the PSO2 floating continent:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLReeL7Dtjc
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76645819&postcount=84

Wunderdoo

Neo Member
same element + same weapon = adds both percentages together
different element + same weapon = adds 10%

In the case of just using a different weapon of the same rarity, it works the old way prior to the quarry field update with low element (29-) giving +1 and high element (30+) adding +2.

low+2, high+3 for identical elements.

Kokonoe

Banned
What's the deal with people selling Extreme Passes? I have 28 of them and haven't done Extreme yet, but seeing the prices I'm tempted to sell mine off. Is there any prerequisite to selling these passes to someone else? Like do I have to do the run with them?

ezodagrom

What's the deal with people selling Extreme Passes? I have 28 of them and haven't done Extreme yet, but seeing the prices I'm tempted to sell mine off. Is there any prerequisite to selling these passes to someone else? Like do I have to do the run with them?
It's not exactly selling XQ passes, but selling XQ runs. Basically people that don't have any XQ pass remaining pay others to do XQ runs with them (each run costs 2 XQ passes to the one selling though, since the seller has to do the run with the buyer).

It's not exactly selling XQ passes, but selling XQ runs. Basically people that don't have any XQ pass remaining pay others to do XQ runs with them (each run costs 2 XQ passes to the one selling though, since the seller has to do the run with the buyer).

Both parties have to also be premium in order for money to change hands (assuming the buyer has no gift boxes to use for that purpose instead).

I'm still looking for a party to run a full set of the Ruins EX quest by the way .-.

Wunderdoo

Neo Member
If you ever have access to a shop for a short time, I should mention one thing you can do is to place a stack of 999 grinders/synths for around the usual asking price. That way people can buy those grinders off you as a form of payment if you ever decide to sell passes after the shop expires (with added tax of course).

Kokonoe

Banned
It honestly amazes me how popular this game in Japan. PSU on 360, which was the most popular form of PSU, never got this populated. Heck, this is only Ship/Server 2 and PSO2 has lots of Ships/Servers.

0mQIXI4.jpg

Interesting. Do you have to be really good to do these runs?

Both parties have to also be premium in order for money to change hands (assuming the buyer has no gift boxes to use for that purpose instead).

I'm still looking for a party to run a full set of the Ruins EX quest by the way .-.

Yeah, I'd definitely buy some more premium before I ever did this.
If you ever have access to a shop for a short time, I should mention one thing you can do is to place a stack of 999 grinders/synths for around the usual asking price. That way people can buy those grinders off you as a form of payment if you ever decide to sell passes after the shop expires (with added tax of course).

That is another option, only downside is the tax. it is the easiest though!

Top Bottom