• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phantom Blade Zero Developer on Xbox Version: ' No one needs this platform '

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Its also just a weird translation, assuming any of it is even true. Someone who speaks English could have said no one here needs porting to that platform. Only a true fanboy retard developer like the Quantum Error devs would come out and say no one needs an Xbox. Its just clickbait.

It’s written so strangely. The author isn’t claiming to have attended ChinaJoy, but is citing a different journalist who spoke to an anonymous dev. So who was that journalist and why did they not publish this juicy headline themselves?

Mr Moose

It’s written so strangely. The author isn’t claiming to have attended ChinaJoy, but is citing a different journalist who spoke to an anonymous dev. So who was that journalist and why did they not publish this juicy headline themselves?
They sourced it?
Is that not who they talked with?
Edit: Or did they just copy and paste someone elses work?

Last edited:

Zones

No one needs chinese games

jeff goldblum checkmate GIF
Okey but then how can you explain this?

Darsxx82

It is truthfulness, Xbox doesn't sell well in Asia, fact.
There are two parts to that story....and I think I have been clear where to point. Especially when the source is a mediocre website, from an independent journalist and coming from a "specific developer who wanted to remain anonymous." But I have already said it, enough to give it absolute and unequivocal veracity. 🤷🏻

And yes, that part is true, as it is also true that the vast majority of developers continue to release their games on XBOX and only a developer with a certain degree of hatred towards Xbox would be capable of saying that phrase. A serious developer and those responsible for the Studio themselves doubt that they would be closed in that way.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
They sourced it?
Is that not who they talked with?
Edit: Or did they just copy and paste someone elses work?

If that’s the article he’s sourcing this from, then the dev never said “nobody needs this platform”.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
It’s probably true that they’re skipping Xbox because of lack of interest, but this article seems fishy as fuck. Anonymous dev and anonymous journalist that doesn’t work for this website, tipped this guy off? Sure.

Wukong has not even been at a Sony show like state of play. They are seemingly completely in bed with Nvidia. To say PlayStation is acting like their publisher makes no sense.

Nvidia is gonna use this game to market their new cards and is giving it away with RTX cards now. If they’re working closely with anyone it’s them. I don’t even think we have ever seen this game running on a ps5. If Sony was “acting like their publisher” they wouldn’t be constantly showing off features that won’t be present on ps5.

It's not Wukong but Phantom Blade Zero. It's part of the China Hero Project and Sony is assisting with development, like Stellar Blade and others.

Mr Moose

This article is nonsensical.
Bad translation from the source maybe?
Last week, China hosted the huge ChinaJoy 2024 gaming expo. Local developers showcased their most exciting new titles, with the action games Black Myth: Wukong and Phantom Blade Zero particularly catching the attention of gamers. PlayStation was the official partner of both games, which caused some discontent among gamers who prefer to play on Xbox. However, the developers themselves quickly cleared up the confusion by stating that they have no exclusive agreements with Sony.

Darsxx82

This article is nonsensical.
Completely.

Total lack of clarity, contradictions and total lack of knowledge on the part of the source.

"There is no type of agreement or contractual collaboration with Sony"... and then it tells you that Sony is publishing, promoting and providing technical support to the game 🤷🏻 I really doubt that whoever publishes the "news" knows about the reality of those games and the industry. Apart from that in the supposed original source that phrase that heads the thread does not appear.

P.S. The news describes the situation as if Wukong was not announced and planned for release on XBOX??🤔

Mr Moose

Completely.

Total lack of clarity, contradictions and total lack of knowledge on the part of the source.

"There is no type of agreement or contractual collaboration with Sony"... and then it tells you that Sony is publishing, promoting and providing technical support to the game 🤷🏻 I really doubt that whoever publishes the "news" knows about the reality of those games and the industry. Apart from that in the supposed original source that phrase that heads the thread does not appear.

P.S. The news describes the situation as if Wukong was not announced and planned for release on XBOX??🤔
It's not in English, and the source of the article doesn't say that. Just says Sony is a partner. The article in the OP should be the source.

He knows it won’t sell on a system that has conditioned its owners for a sub based service called Gamepass. MS would love every dev to put their games on gamepass and lose money while MS increases their chances for more subs. Sad but true. I commend him for having the guts to say it straight out. Need more people who speak their minds nowadays as opposed to tip toeing not to hurt someone’s feelings.

Last edited:
Just dub your games for the love of God, I'm tired of Chinese NPCs speaking Chinese.
Do you play games in any other languages or do you just not like Chinese?

I generally will always try to play games in their native language unless it keeps me from knowing what's going on which unfortunately happens more and more. Stellar Blade for example I started in Korean but switched to English because I realized that most of the time I wasn't able to read literally anything that was on the screen.

SHA

Do you play games in any other languages or do you just not like Chinese?

I generally will always try to play games in their native language unless it keeps me from knowing what's going on which unfortunately happens more and more. Stellar Blade for example I started in Korean but switched to English because I realized that most of the time I wasn't able to read literally anything that was on the screen.
Hating is unethical, I'm just unfamiliar with Asian languages other than Japanese, I'm fine with Japanese and English.

mdkirby

I mean, even a year or two ago the sales split on 3rd party titles was often 20/80 in favor of PlayStation, I would imagine it’s even more extreme now, particularly in Asia. It’s not cheap to port it to xbox and it takes away development resources to do so, so I can certainly understand why a smaller studio would choose to ignore the platform without a direct financial or contractual obligation to do so….tho at the same time it wouldn’t cost Sony much to secure exclusivity either, as they’d only need to pay to cover the loss of whatever they expect is 20% of likely sales (and throw in some marketing spend).

Humdinger

Ouch. Maybe that's a translation that comes across a bit less polite than it would in the original.

in addition, Microsoft has created a very overloaded ecosystem for which it is difficult to develop games.

What does that mean? I am guessing he's talking about the fact that you have to develop for two different consoles, X and S?

Fbh

Gold Member
Maybe a bit direct in the delivery of the message but it makes sense.

Why port your game to a platform where most asian games have historically performed badly and now also has a user base that has been strongly encouraged to not buy games?

If you are making a somewhat niche Japanese, Chinese or Korean game your options on Xbox are getting a Gamepass deal or selling 4 copies

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Draugoth Draugoth I wasn't able to find any Chinese source about it. If you do, I can help verify if the dev really meant that in the native tongue.

Chinese devs are very fresh newcomers to console publishing, I would be shocked if they really said such thoughtlessly aggressive comments to the press.

I couldnt either, the source for the claim seems to be the original linked website.

//DEVIL//

1- I do not trust the article. I think it was misinterpreted.
2- assuming what was said is 100% true translations, then I am sorry but these developers are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to talk. It would be best if you had a more diplomatic answer and did not cut ties with the biggest publisher in the world. even if their system doesn't sell for shit in your region.

Gojiira

I find it hilarious that anybody bemoaned Black Myth being shown on behalf of Playstation, yes what a shame that PS is showcasing a well established,confirmed from the get-go multiplatform game…Like wtf? Are they upset Xbox didnt have a booth as well? Lmfao…
As for Phantom Blade, Sony actually are publishing it far as I know…So Xbox is irrelevant there anyway..
Idk, weird article. Not wrong but still weird.

Last edited:
1- I do not trust the article. I think it was misinterpreted.
2- assuming what was said is 100% true translations, then I am sorry but these developers are stupid and shouldn't be allowed to talk. It would be best if you had a more diplomatic answer and did not cut ties with the biggest publisher in the world. even if their system doesn't sell for shit in your region.
nah. it's just the state of the gaming "journalism" aka shilling for companies.

remember that they are the ones spreading FUD about secret exclusivity deals

pasterpl

Anonymous dev and anonymous journalist that doesn’t work for this website, tipped this guy off? Sure.
Developer without a name, journalist with name, this almost sound like 4chan rumours /s in all seriousness OP information have no value based on the above assessment. Should shit like this (from these type of sources) be allowed to be posted.

btw. We all know that Xbox doesn’t exist in Asia.

It’s probably true that they’re skipping Xbox because of lack of interest, but this article seems fishy as fuck. Anonymous dev and anonymous journalist that doesn’t work for this website, tipped this guy off? Sure.

Wukong has not even been at a Sony show like state of play. They are seemingly completely in bed with Nvidia. To say PlayStation is acting like their publisher makes no sense.

IMG-0764.jpg

IMG-0763.jpg

Nvidia is gonna use this game to market their new cards and is giving it away with RTX cards now. If they’re working closely with anyone it’s them. I don’t even think we have ever seen this game running on a ps5. If Sony was “acting like their publisher” they wouldn’t be constantly showing off features that won’t be present on ps5.
They might, if you are publisher, you want to show off game before release in the best possible way, and we know that PC is the best platform to play on this Gen if you want all bells and whistles.

Top Bottom