• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer at PAX : "We have passed on signing [exclusivity] on Destiny 1"

Mr Moose

And then they cried and made fake ads for it.
microsoft-uk-confirms-it-is-behind-cheeky-destiny-fragrance-ad-140992134063.jpg

Last edited:

LRKD

It's bonkers to think they could've had exclusivity, right after Bungie left them lmao.

Destiny 1 has so many issues, it's not hard to imagine why they passed on it. It's a incredibly fun game, but also so incredibly flawed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would be shocked if this wasn't part of Marc Whitten's harebrained notion of Xbox needing to embrace unwalled gardens. A colossally stupid decision that would still have been an obvious bad call back in 2012/2013.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Destiny has been such a mishandled franchise. Bungie’s gunplay is still top notch but the expansions are a convoluted mess for new players. It is not beginner friendly in the slightest and this extends to the PVP side of the game as it’s not clear to what advantage your unlocked guns give you, if any.

I have high hopes for Marathon but we’ll see what happens.

Hudo

Seems like MS have dodged a bullet, then. Destiny has been mismanaged even before it was released. Promises broken and never fulfilled. So much wasted potential. And the sequel, where they could've actually delivered on their vision, ended up being one of the most unambitious things ever shat out by Bungie.

And yeah, I know, it's still the most successful looter shooter out there. But I actually find that sad.

Gojiira

Not sure I believe the word of Fill Spender quite frankly, its more likely Xbox pursued exclusivity after pissing themselves when they saw the hype for their former golden gooses new game, and Bungie likely kicked up a stink.

Z O N E

It's bonkers to think they could've had exclusivity, right after Bungie left them lmao.

Destiny 1 has so many issues, it's not hard to imagine why they passed on it. It's a incredibly fun game, but also so incredibly flawed.

Bungie has been flawed since Halo 1.

I believe Halo 2 was recreated in under a year. Some Bungie devs slept at the office, which caused some to get divorced, and Marty mentioned how he thought about suicide because of how bad it got.

Fast forward to Destiny 1 where they had a story... then recreated the story last second and it became... mushed.

Honestly, not surprised MS never went back to Bungie. They seem like a sibling who's out of control and don't know what they're doing.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It just seem like Microsoft have a history of dropping the ball

Why are we acting like Bungie is this prestigious developer and Destiny isn’t a goddamn mess? Modern day Bungie stinks. If anyone has a history of dropping the ball it’s them. Destiny 1 was a cool concept with great gunplay, but incredibly flawed. Destiny 2 is a convoluted mess that keeps pissing off it’s dwindling player base, while the whole company bleeds money like a stuck pig. Will Marathon even see the light of day?? I would say keeping Bungie at arm’s length was actually a rare W for Xbox execs.

simpatico

Gold Member
Imagine if they still had Bungie. We’d be looking at a return to Halo right now instead of slapping the Marathon IP on an extraction shooter. Easily the biggest blunder at Xbox. Imagine Halo 4,5 and Infinite didn’t exist and we were a year away from getting the real Halo 4. With Marty.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Imagine if they still had Bungie. We’d be looking at a return to Halo right now instead of slapping the Marathon IP on an extraction shooter. Easily the biggest blunder at Xbox. Imagine Halo 4,5 and Infinite didn’t exist and we were a year away from getting the real Halo 4. With Marty.
Even if Microsoft had kept Bungie instead of letting them go independent the people responsible for the early Halo games would probably have moved on and we would have seen a similar trajectory as Bonnie Ross and 343i, just under the Bungie name. Then we'd all still be talking about how Bungie and Halo went to shit.

Last edited:

wipeout364

I am not sure why it was the wrong decision. I must be missing the point, why would Destiny being exclusive have helped Xbox. It was a live service game that requires a lot of players. These types of games are very hard to find success with when exclusive to a single console.

If anything it would have been a bad investment and may have prevented Destiny 2 from getting developed.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I don't blame them. They already funded Bungie and they wanted to leave. There's clearly issues with the actual management at Bungie that prevents Xbox wanting to sign up with them again. Passed on the acquisition too. Activision passed too and let them go after signing them.

DaGwaphics

I don't blame them. They already funded Bungie and they wanted to leave. There's clearly issues with the actual management at Bungie that prevents Xbox wanting to sign up with them again. Passed on the acquisition too. Activision passed too and let them go after signing them.

Agreed. Clearly there is something under the surface that creates the repeating issues.

Fess

Why pay for 3rd party deals when you can simply buy publisher??

Sounds like good decision to me.

Xbox as a company is in much stronger place now. Paying for 3rd party deals will drain funds fast while not bringing anything worthwhile to the table.
They’ve never been weaker, what do you mean?

Platform is essentially dead in retail, customers don’t buy games, they have no exclusives pulling new people into the platform, they have no mid-gen refresh to give them a boost, their cloud service is still in beta and worse than all other options and they’ve started using Geforce Now for PC Gamepass, they have no streaming device, no VR, no handheld, they plan to include Steam on their next console which essentially kills off Microsoft Store. Probably more things to list but it’s enough for now.

How exactly are they in a much stronger place now?

Last edited:
Top Bottom