• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Picture of the Nintendo PlayStation

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
a quick google

snes_cd-rom.jpg

GigaDrive

Banned
that's not it DopeyFish and Neptunes, that's a picture of Nintendo's 32-Bit ND (Nintendo Disc) which was their 3rd CD-ROM prototype unit.

the Nintendo Play Station (space intentional) looks different and so far I have not been able to find a picture of it. there was a link with a picture on the old GAF but that's long gone.

the Nintendo Play Station is an all-in-one console, not the ND CD-ROM addon

there were three SNES CD-ROM systems

http://www.nintendoland.com/home2.htm?snes/snescdr.htm

To sort things out there were 3 different Nintendo CD consoles:
1. The Playstation which Nintendo and Sony were planning on based on the their deal with Nintendo from 1988.
2. The Nintendo/Philips CD-ROM add-on based on the agreement between Philips and Nintendo around the time of the C.E.S. in June 1991.
3. The Philips CD-ROM XA / SNES Nintendo Disk which were a product of the cooperation betwen both Nintendo, Sony and Philips. Based on a deal struck around October - November 1992.

so that picture posted twice is the 3rd unit, the ND, something of a joint effort between Nintendo Philips and Sony.

the Sony-Nintendo Play Station was a 16-Bit system, its format was called Super Disc

DCX

DCX
Sony was supposed to make an add-ob CD-Drive for SNES, in turn Nintendo was going to give Sony the SNES tech so they can make thier own system which is basically a SNES with the CD add on built in called PlayStation. What the world would be if this happened. How ironic that the "king" of videogames paved the way for the current "King" of videogames.

DCX

GDGF

Soothsayer
And if it was a success it would have hurt Nintendo. As I recall, Sony was to get the bulk of the royalties from the CD-Rom format, and Nintendo would have recieved the cart royalties. We all know that given a choice of medium (if the system took off early enough) that licensees would have naturally gravitated towards the CD ROM format, due to cost issues and turnaround and all those other lessons we learned from the 32/64 bit gen. The Playstation would have been a moneymaking parasite in the service of Sony, leaching royalties from Nintendo and giving Sony an even earlier foothold in the video game industry.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yes, but would it have bumpmapping? </sarcasm>

Alcibiades

Lost Weekend said:
And if it was a success it would have hurt Nintendo. As I recall, Sony was to get the bulk of the royalties from the CD-Rom format, and Nintendo would have recieved the cart royalties. We all know that given a choice of medium (if the system took off early enough) that licensees would have naturally gravitated towards the CD ROM format, due to cost issues and turnaround and all those other lessons we learned from the 32/64 bit gen. The Playstation would have been a moneymaking parasite in the service of Sony, leaching royalties from Nintendo and giving Sony an even earlier foothold in the video game industry.

yeah, good thing Nintendo pulled out on time, if you read Steve Kents book, it talks about how Sony was becoming a dangerous partner seeking far more control than Nintendo realized...

Better to be an independent #2 than a 2nd party #1...

teiresias

From the article posted by Gigadrive:

Just for the fairness of thing I'll end this article with a quote from Nintendo's own Nintendo Power article, "Nintendo Power" publication, "The next time when someone tells you that CD-ROM is the wave of the future, tell them that the future doesn't belong to the snails"

Hehe!!

Top Bottom