• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Narag

Eder suddenly out of the blue asked my pet cat to come over there so he could pet it, bugs forgiven, goty all years.

He asked the female dwarf companion if her fox bites after proclaiming he wanted to pet it. She replied yes and he was quick to be all "i'mma pet it anyhow."

That got a good laugh out of me.

goblin

Question about Eders personal quest;

Does it really end to the wall when you learn that his brother talked with Waidwen before enlisting into Waidwens army, or is there more to come? Just seems like a huge tease that whole quest just ends there because you didn't hear what Eders brother and Waidwen talked about.

That's the end of the quest, although Eder will have a couple more conversations about it with you later on and it seems like it might change his reactions and dialogue a bit about some stuff toward the end of the game.

Anyone did Kana's Persona quest?

Do you need to get to the last floor of the endless path? I like his character, but I'm not doing the mega-dungeon. :/

Nope. I want to say it's about halfway through.

Bottom floor of Od Nua:

I knew it was going to be an adra dragon! There hadn't been a big single dragon boss yet, it had to be there.

Anyway, after about 10 tries on it, I figured out something that sort of works. I split my tank off right, the rest of the group off left, and had the tank initiate and handle the dragon and the xaurips on the right while everyone else went left/north and cleared out the harder adds. It worked alright, although by the time all the adds were done the only people left standing were my druid and ranger PC. Then my druid died. So, I have movement speed +3 boots on my ranger and the dragon can't even come close to getting a hit in with the kiting, but my ranger only does 3 damage maybe every 1/4 shots.... Might be at this for a while.

I started the fight by killing the two casters as fast as possible with Eder on the dragon then off-tanked/killed all the xaurips with summons, summons, summons. I used five figurines, Essential Phantom, and chanter summons. The hardest part was the dragon's terrifying aura (I think?) which repeatedly nuked my entire party. Drank a lot of potions. On my second-to-last attempt I got it down to near death with my entire party dead except Eder, who did practically zero damage, but he wasn't able to kill it before I ran out of potions. Bummed me out.

Did you learn the Scale-Breaker ability? It was really useful for applying debuffs past its defenses and then burning it down once I got it alone.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
He asked the female dwarf companion if her fox bites after proclaiming he wanted to pet it. She replied yes and he was quick to be all "i'mma pet it anyhow."

That got a good laugh out of me.

A while after I had that dialog, they both had lines about how his hand was swelling up and looking purple. She said that she had told him so, and it was his fault for petting it. The attention to details like that really make the game.

Volodja

Correct me if I'm wrong: The patch should be able to not only fix the bug, but fix the saved game files, since the correct statistics can be recalculated from level, class, talents, and items, right?
Yeah, I imagine it shouldn't be hard to do that.

I'm now checking my charactes to see if they are bugged or not and I already see that I can't deactivate the Defender mode on Eder. And in general...yeah, he seems hella broken as far as stats go.
He has 82 Deflection before items. Even if I take the 15 deflection from Defender away, it's still 67 base deflection and with his mediocre Resolve and Perception, that's not right at all. He should have 57 with Defender active.
He did look like his defensive stats were too high compared to my main character that has pumped up Perception and Resolve.

He is, however, the only character with that issue. I don't know what to do about that, I could keep on going and just take him out as soon as I have a party member to take his place.
I don't want to stop playing the game, but it's pointless to play at Hard difficulty in this condition.

aravuus

Found a guy called Jani Haukka in the Bay lmao. That's a completely regular Finnish name. Kind of weird and, dare I say, immersion breaking.

pahamrick

Eder suddenly out of the blue asked my pet cat to come over there so he could pet it, bugs forgiven, goty all years.

I was rolling around with the Black Hound as a pet, when Eder suddenly goes "Don't you think we should get a second dog? You know, so he has someone to play with."

Man, even just super early on you have the one little side quest with
that Nonton guy that tossed his friend to the bear and you have to decide how to deal with him and his lady friend.

This is just a dinky little quest but I've had to actually stop and think on how I want to resolve it because, oh my god, I've been given multiple choices on how to resolve it. Holy shit, I think I've been playing modern BioWare games for too long because this one little quest has more ambiguity and choice in it than most of DA: Inquisition did for it's quests.

And woohoo, I got my big collector's edition box in the mail today!

Blizzard

Banned
I guess it makes sense, but I was somehow thinking the options would follow the save file. If you play an easier mode with stuff like AOE highlighting enabled, then go to a harder mode, all those options will still be turned off when you go back to the easier mode.

Almighty

All this talk about people getting the boxes just reminds me that as far as I can tell Obsidian hasn't even shipped mine yet. I finally sent of an email to them asking for an eta we shall see how long it takes for them to get back to me. Also even with how annoyed I am at some of the bugs I still feel drawn to keep playing this game.

Burt

I started the fight by killing the two casters as fast as possible with Eder on the dragon then off-tanked/killed all the xaurips with summons, summons, summons. I used five figurines, Essential Phantom, and chanter summons. The hardest part was the dragon's terrifying aura (I think?) which repeatedly nuked my entire party. Drank a lot of potions. On my second-to-last attempt I got it down to near death with my entire party dead except Eder, who did practically zero damage, but he wasn't able to kill it before I ran out of potions. Bummed me out.

Did you learn the Scale-Breaker ability? It was really useful for applying debuffs past its defenses and then burning it down once I got it alone.
Scale-Breaker? Damn, I just looked that up on the wiki and it looks like it would've helped a lot. Where/when do you get it? I just got to Twin Elms in Act 3.

And do you know what level you go to for
Kana's Quest
? I'm all done the place and don't know where to go for the tablet now.

Velinos

All this talk about people getting the boxes just reminds me that as far as I can tell Obsidian hasn't even shipped mine yet. I finally sent of an email to them asking for an eta we shall see how long it takes for them to get back to me. Also even with how annoyed I am at some of the bugs I still feel drawn to keep playing this game.

Same here. The e-mail I got said estimated delivery today or tomorrow, so maybe it'll just show up tomorrow.

_DrMario_

With all the bugs and stuff I decided to drop my difficulty to normal. I'm just going to play for the story this time and I'll just switch to PotD next time. I'm pretty sure my Eder is stronger then he should be.

At the same time the rest of the NPC just suck imo. I was hoping that I had finally found a second tank after getting Pallegina but she just sucks. She dies so fast. Terrible fucking stats. Same for Aloth, he could be so much better. Kana is alright. Durance is good.

I think next game my party will be PC, Adventurer, Adventurer, Adventurer, Druid NPC, Ranger NPC.

I finished Act I without realizing it--only caught on when I noticed I had the achievment--but I was able to go back and do a couple of big things I missed once I was in Act II (I Completely missed
Raedic's keep and Eder
) without issue.

I guess the bigger question is if it's possible to lock yourself out of content via early progression?
yup this was my concern too. If you can't lock out old content it makes me wonder why there are different acts - it's just arbitrary

Zeliard

I lucked out with that nasty stat modifier bug, partly due to still being relatively early on. None of my characters have been affected, but the bug is easily reproducible.

This one's pretty rough.

Narag

A while after I had that dialog, they both had lines about how his hand was swelling up and looking purple. She said that she had told him so, and it was his fault for petting it. The attention to details like that really make the game.

Amazing.

Brojito

Neo Member
Any way to respec your hired adventurers? Or do I just have to hire more?

I made a fire godlike monk but I'm not completely happy with the stats and I want to tweak it a bit.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I lucked out with that nasty stat modifier bug, partly due to still being relatively early on. None of my characters have been affected, but the bug is easily reproducible.

This one's pretty rough.

Which one?

I'm pretty sure my entire part has been effected by the "Double click equip" bug that causes them to lose certain passives, though I don't feel like restarting.

How many recruitable NPCs are there that have unique stories? Is it just 5, or will I at some point have to choice who I take with me?

Volodja

It does seem high, but I don't know how to calculate Deflection properly. It's about 60 with all gear off and modal switched off at Level 6.
Try to switch the modal off and on and check if your Deflection changes. For me it doesn't, for example, the effect is always active.
60 is kinda high anyway.
Base fighter Deflection is 25+3*(level-1).
Eder gets a +2 from Resolve so it should be 42 at level 6.

Zeliard

Which one?

I'm pretty sure my entire part has been effected by the "Double click equip" bug that causes them to lose certain passives, though I don't feel like restarting.

How many recruitable NPCs are there that have unique stories? Is it just 5, or will I at some point have to choice who I take with me?

This one: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/73...llowing-stats-to-grow-beyond-intended-values/

Simply, if you save and load a game in the same location you recruited a character, that character's stat-boosting gear will boost their stats by the respective amount every single time you load.

So say you have +x Deflection/PER gear on Eder. Save and load a bunch of times at Gilded Vale and suddenly your Eder has monster Deflection and becomes basically unusable unless you want to trivialize combat.

goblin

Scale-Breaker? Damn, I just looked that up on the wiki and it looks like it would've helped a lot. Where/when do you get it? I just got to Twin Elms in Act 3.

And do you know what level you go to for
Kana's Quest
? I'm all done the place and don't know where to go for the tablet now.

If you've already completed the Endless Paths then I think you've missed it. You have to pass speech checks with the adra dragon and say you're going to help set it free. It'll send you to fight a dragon-slayer, who you can then double-cross the dragon to and warn instead. She'll teach you the skill as thanks.

If you killed the adra dragon, though, I seriously doubt the other ones in the game will give you any trouble without Scale-Breaker. Those fights are pretty simple by comparison.

Floor 7. Bottom right room.

Yeah, I guess I'll stop playing until they patch these known bugs. So far I have faith these should be patchable without restarts. I have ignored Bloodborne since this came out and Axiom Verge is tomorrow too...so I guess a break will be okay.

Kinthalis

Banned
Try to switch the modal off and on and check if your Deflection changes. For me it doesn't, for example, the effect is always active.
60 is kinda high anyway.
Base fighter Deflection is 25+3*(level-1).
Eder gets a +2 from Resolve so it should be 42 at level 6.

Mine is 59 at level 5... bugged?

Gaz_RB

I love how there are two major bugs right now: one that takes stats away and one that gives you more stats than you want. It was really nice of Obsidian to balance them out for us!

All the praise about Grieving Mother is spot-on. And I've only just encountered her.

Edair's charm is overwhelming, though. His voice actor really sells the role.
I love how there are two major bugs right now: one that takes stats away and one that gives you more stats than you want. It was really nice of Obsidian to balance them out for us!

In many ways, Pillars of Eternity is proof that Obsidian cares.

doomquake

still imagining the crowd funders as
george-costanza-wallet.jpeg

OK GAF, how bad have I screwed myself?

All characters level 6

Eder:
MGT 16
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 10
INT 13
RES 12
DEFLECTION 42
FORTITUDE 59
REFLEX 37
WILL 53

Kana:
MGT 16
CON 12
DEX 9
PER 14
INT 17
RES 10
DEFLECTION 44
FORTITUDE 51
REFLEX 41
WILL 57

Durance
MGT 14
CON 15
DEX 9
PER 9
INT 13
RES 19
DEFLECTION 38
FORTITUDE 63
REFLEX 42
WILL 67

Volodja

Mine is 59 at level 5... bugged?

I've just created a level 6 fighter adventurer and she has 59 deflection (with no equip nor aura), so it's plausible
My stats are for Eder that has +2 deflection from his Stats.
A Fighter has a base of 40 Deflection at level 6.
On top of that you have to add the Perception and Resolve bonuses.
If you have very high Per and Res you can get about 16 to 20 bonus Deflection.
But Eder with no modal and no equip on should have 42.
For other chars you have to give me their Perception and Resolve.

OK GAF, how bad have I screwed myself?

All characters level 6

Eder:
MGT 16
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 10
INT 13
RES 12
DEFLECTION 42
FORTITUDE 59
REFLEX 37
WILL 53

Kana:
MGT 16
CON 12
DEX 9
PER 14
INT 17
RES 10
DEFLECTION 44
FORTITUDE 51
REFLEX 41
WILL 57

Durance
MGT 14
CON 15
DEX 9
PER 9
INT 13
RES 19
DEFLECTION 38
FORTITUDE 63
REFLEX 42
WILL 67
See, for example here his Eder is fine Deflection wise.

Grief.exe

Alright guys, I've been out of town over the weekend so I finally get to start up Pillars of Eternity.

What class do you think I should play?
I know this is a super ambiguous question
I think I've narrowed my choices down to a melee cipher, druid, paladin tank, or rogue.
Which ones are the most fun to play? Which ones have the most utility?

Also, does anyone have the links to the various portrait dumps?

Has there been any info on how these stat bugs affect Spiritshift? Because the power and duration difference between my MC and the companion druid is immense, in my MC's favour. The companion's form lasts like 10 seconds at best and does garbage damage, whereas the MC's is like 30 seconds of total domination.
Alright guys, I've been out of town over the weekend so I finally get to start up Pillars of Eternity.

What class do you think I should play?
I know this is a super ambiguous question
I think I've narrowed my choices down to a melee cipher, druid, paladin tank, or rogue.
Which ones are the most fun to play? Which ones have the most utility?

Also, does anyone have the links to the various portrait dumps?

Druid. Control or annihilate from afar, and then close in and obliterate whatever remains with your spiritshift.

Blizzard

Banned
Does anyone know why the V
ulture
backer NPC is in the GAF inn? Did they specifically request that spot or does no one know who they are?

Has there been any info on how these stat bugs affect Spiritshift? Because the power and duration difference between my MC and the companion druid is immense, in my MC's favour.
Compare your levels and INT values. If I recall correctly that's what affects duration in general...but disclaimer, I haven't played a druid yet so I don't know what else can affect it.

Top Bottom