• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Tovarisc

The actual files aren't saved in the normal cloud save location, and I deleted the save from ingame. Does this mean the game isn't removing Steam Cloud saves even when you click delete? I didn't notice an ingame option for that.

Steam Cloud is enabled by default for games that support it and needs to be toggled on/off via Steam, see below;

1. Open Steam Library
  2. Right click on PoE and select Settings
  3. Open "Updates" tab and toggle Cloud on or off

All save files, and most likely settings too, are synced into Cloud each time you close game. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's possible that game detects that there is file missing and syncs it from Cloud.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Level 5 wizard spell 'call to slumber' is *insane*.

People saying wizards are bad are dumb dumbs who have no idea what they are doing. Their ability to disable entire groups of enemies is just amazing.

Blizzard

Banned
Steam Cloud is enabled by default for games that support it and needs to be toggled on/off via Steam, see below;

1. Open Steam Library
  2. Right click on PoE and select Settings
  3. Open "Updates" tab and toggle Cloud on or off

All save files, and most likely settings too, are synced into Cloud each time you close game. I'm just guessing here, but I think it's possible that game detects that there is file missing and syncs it from Cloud.
That's presumably a bug with the game then, since I don't know any way to manually delete SOME files from the Steam Cloud, and the ingame option to do so does not work.

I'll try disabling the cloud sync as a workaround. Thanks!

Eder suddenly out of the blue asked my pet cat to come over there so he could pet it, bugs forgiven, goty all years.

Was it the
zombie
cat? He did that for me as well.

People saying wizards are bad are dumb dumbs who have no idea what they are doing. Their ability to disable entire groups of enemies is just amazing.

Their 'problem' is that the traditional wizard is both DPS and CC, whereas the Pillars wizards are not very good at the former, but excellent at the latter. Druids are the powerhouses for AoE damage.

KR_remix

Eder suddenly out of the blue asked my pet cat to come over there so he could pet it, bugs forgiven, goty all years.

If you have the pig he talks to it like a person talks cutesy to a baby. It was really random and I wasn't sure what was going on at first cause it was louder than he usually talks.

Tovarisc

Level 5 wizard spell 'call to slumber' is *insane*.

Preach it sister!

Was doing one bounty and
there was 4 or 5 drakes flying at me. Well I whipped out 'Call to Slumber' and it was super effective to all of them. I think one waked up before dying.

So OP spell :b

I've missed so much companion banter because I'm sitting at a large area's exit on fast mode, waiting for them to get there. Then they reach my ears and they're on the final word.

Feels bad.

Blizzard

Banned
That is hilarious. I had thought about doing that. I imagine if you actually used the rangers you could actually do pretty well...
I have a ranger with a bear and it's funny. You can't attack NPCs unles there's some "force attack" option I don't know about, but you can just send the bear
around to scout and no one will even notice

Raytow

He also loves the pig pet, and the ranger companion, the druid also mentions that behind his tanky exterior he is just a lovable pet hugger.

Conezays

So looks like I'm okay stats-wise and am a few quests into Defiant Bay. Does that mean I'm in the clear or still a chance of being screwed over?

Lingitiz

God I love this game but all these bugs are making want to drop it for now. They're really subtle things that are killing the balance and making me doubt if anything is working correctly.

Burt

The boss at the bottom of Od Nua slaughtered my bear companion so hard that no matter what I do I can't get rid of the Bonded Grief dead companion debuff.

/bugreport

God I love this game but all these bugs are making want to drop it for now. They're really subtle things that are killing the balance and making me doubt if anything is working correctly.
Yeah, it's amazing how insidious they are. No crash, no obviously visual cues, just a slow creep towards making the game systems broken.

Lingitiz

Yeah, it's amazing how insidious they are. No crash, no obviously visual cues, just a slow creep towards making the game systems broken.

Yeah I'd be cool with crash bugs, instability and things like that. These are way worse. They invalidate whole saves without you even noticing.

Very disappointed that it had to go this way. I'll probably just put it on hold and focus on Bloodborne instead.

Spookie

Well my chanter is completely goosed. :/

My tank is probably fucked too. Meh. I'm gonna take a break from this game till they fix it and play some Bloodborne.

Blizzard

Banned
The bug doesn't only apply to companions. People have noticed it on their PC, too, which suggests to me it can happen to anyone.
Are there any other PC reproduction steps / gear combinations / screenshots besides that one of the boosted HP? Any sort of information like that could help pin down what might be affected.

I hadn't even seen anyone mention boosted HP, companion or not, until that screenshot, for example.

Annubis

It actually happens on other maps where no one was recruited too, the bug isn't fully understood. People on the Obsidian forums are reporting it has happened to the PC.
Such as this:

There doesn't seem to be a reliable way to avoid this other than to never reload a save.

That's a different bug.
Monk PC get ridiculous HP (probably linked to wounds mechanic)

Blizzard

Banned
Its the sword icon
Where does it appear? When I have the bear selected, there are no icons at all in the lower left corner. *edit* Ahhh, thanks. I've never used that icon yet.

That's a different bug.
Monk PC get ridiculous HP (probably linked to wounds mechanic)
That makes more sense. That's kind of why I'm asking if there's any other evidence of the Player Character having boosted stats on loading saves.

JC Sera

Where does it appear? When I have the bear selected, there are no icons at all in the lower left corner.

That makes more sense. That's kind of why I'm asking if there's any other evidence of the Player Character having boosted stats on loading saves.
0hDiQrl.png

Morzak

Finally finished ACT 1 and dis some stuff in Defiance Bay. Damn there is a lot to do there and now I'm unable to decide which sides to take, I don't like most of the Factions choices. Will really have to think about all of it....

Fights in Dungeons are mostly easy since you can just abuse doorways, There are some encounters outside that give me trouble. I'm not using my per Rest abbilities enough my party gets fatigued often before Health or Spells become a problem. Really think the fatigue is a bit overdone, thinking of dumping some stats into the corresponding stat....

I also will have to check if i catched any of the bugs.

Really like the writing in the game, the main story is still not developing much but I really like that nearly everything is shades of grey, nearly no quests even the simple ones are what they seem initially.

Are there loot penalties for using half speed in combat? I killed the
Drake in Endless Paths and the ghost lady in the crypt with the soldiers
and didn't get jack from either. I got something, but it was just the usual crafting drops you get from basic enemies.

Almighty

Oh Obsidian, your one chance to remove your reputation for bugginess and you shit the bed it seems. I was expecting to run into some bugs like broken quests or items that don't work properly, but the kind of bugs people are reporting the kind of bugs that annoy me. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am thinking I might put this game on hold and go check out Bloodborne until the first patch is out at least. Next time Obsidian use your fans better and put a bunch of them under NDAs and have them go bug hunting.

Burt

Are there loot penalties for using half speed in combat? I killed the
Drake in Endless Paths and the ghost lady in the crypt with the soldiers
and didn't get jack from either. I got something, but it was just the usual crafting drops you get from basic enemies.

Sometimes there's nothing out of the ordinary, sometimes there's loot nearby/behind them, often hidden and requiring that you go into scout mode. Generally speaking, enemies that don't use weapons or gear don't drop weapons or gear. But no, half speed doesn't create any loot penalties.
Oh Obsidian, your one chance to remove your reputation for bugginess and you shit the bed it seems. I was expecting to run into some bugs like broken quests or items that don't work properly, but the kind of bugs people are reporting the kind of bugs that annoy me. I can't believe I am saying this, but I am thinking I might put this game on hold and go check out Bloodborne until the first patch is out at least. Next time Obsidian use you fans better and put a bunch of them under NDAs and have them go bug hunting.

It's really not that bad, like, at all. There's very little that actually breaks the game, either from a technical sense or balance sense. If you're not running Path of the Damned, it's nowhere near the end of the world.

Chaos17

Yeah I'd be cool with crash bugs, instability and things like that. These are way worse. They invalidate whole saves without you even noticing.

I disagree, I would've hated all those bugs to the core!!
Also, I'm not playing the Steam version so I'm sufering those bugs :p

Sometimes there's nothing out of the ordinary, sometimes there's loot nearby/behind them, often hidden and requiring that you go into scout mode. Generally speaking, enemies that don't use weapons or gear don't drop weapons or gear. But no, half speed doesn't create any loot penalties.

Alright thanks, one more question, is loot adjusted based on difficulty ie Diablo? I wouldn't think so based on my time with IE games just curious if they tinkered with that aspect at all.

Burt

Alright thanks, one more question, is loot adjusted based on difficulty ie Diablo? I wouldn't think so based on my time with IE games just curious if they tinkered with that aspect at all.

Nah, it seems pretty static. Most of the good stuff, like what you're probably expecting from the
Drake
, generally corresponds to the character that dropped it. I'm not sure if bosses have actual equipment and modifiers from it, but they're trying to create the impression that when you pick up a sweet sword from a boss, he was just using it against you.

Are there any other PC reproduction steps / gear combinations / screenshots besides that one of the boosted HP? Any sort of information like that could help pin down what might be affected.

I hadn't even seen anyone mention boosted HP, companion or not, until that screenshot, for example.
Maybe because there are relatively few items in the early game that boost CON? The bug seems to be triggered by gear that causes a stat boost being reapplied on save/load in areas where you can recruit a companion. So Kana is a prime target because he has a +1 INT hat from the start.

Sou Da

It's really not that bad, like, at all. There's very little that actually breaks the game, either from a technical sense or balance sense. If you're not running Path of the Damned, it's nowhere near the end of the world.

Every save I made from a certain point was corrupted and I can't even tell if I fixed that bug.

Corsick

So, I'm in the
Temple of Woedica and killed all of the people chanting in the circular room with the statue in the middle, but now I can't progress and no quest event is triggering. Is this a bug?

Lingitiz

I disagree, I would've hated all those bugs to the core!!
Also, I'm not playing the Steam version so I'm sufering those bugs :p

Well at least with those you know something is wrong. With these it's the lingering feeling that the game is putting one over on me and that nothing is working as intended.

Either way, bugs are shitty. I love Obsidian and thought this was their chance to get it right so this is very sad to see.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe because there are relatively few items in the early game that boost CON? The bug seems to be triggered by gear that causes a stat boost being reapplied on save/load in areas where you can recruit a companion. So Kana is a prime target because he has a +1 INT hat from the start.
Huh? I'm talking about this that another person posted in this thread:

That's the only instance of a player character having boosted stats that I've seen posted, and another poster already suggested it's a monk-specific bug rather than the party member (non-PC) save load bug.

Kiritsugu

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong: The patch should be able to not only fix the bug, but fix the saved game files, since the correct statistics can be recalculated from level, class, talents, and items, right?

Nah, it seems pretty static. Most of the good stuff, like what you're probably expecting from the
Drake
, generally corresponds to the character that dropped it. I'm not sure if bosses have actual equipment and modifiers from it, but they're trying to create the impression that when you pick up a sweet sword from a boss, he was just using it against you.

Gotcha, guess I was hoping for some
Firkraag Carsomyr type action ;) I'm guessing there's some much more epic "dragons" later on though

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
So, I'm in the
Temple of Woedica and killed all of the people chanting in the circular room with the statue in the middle, but now I can't progress and no quest event is triggering. Is this a bug?

Well, I know
you aren't supposed to fight/kill them
, so I'm not sure what, if any, the alternate quest path is.

Almighty

Have to disagree as pretty much every bug reported in this thread has either been gaming ruining(ie stats being applied repeatedly and stacking, buffs being removed, etc) to downright game breaking(game crashes when trying to leave an area, save games getting corrupted). That is not even mentioning the bug that I am having(that i mentioned in this thread previously) that went from slightly annoying to highly annoying and made me want to wait for patch on its own. I mean I am all for letting devs off the hook for bugs in a complex game like this, but this game seems full of bugs that are the kind I hate the most. The ones that sneak up on you and if you get hit with one can ruin many hours of progress and/or your enjoyment.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Correct me if I'm wrong: The patch should be able to not only fix the bug, but fix the saved game files, since the correct statistics can be recalculated from level, class, talents, and items, right?

It would seem that way.

But Obsidian is known for saying "Nope, you need to restart the whole game".

And like I said earlier, they really need to let us know ASAP so we can stop wasting our time playing the game right now.

Top Bottom