• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

JC Sera

All the praise about Grieving Mother is spot-on. And I've only just encountered her.

Edair's charm is overwhelming, though. His voice actor really sells the role.

In many ways, Pillars of Eternity is proof that Obsidian cares.
Still can't believe Eder and Aloth are voiced by the same actor, that guy should get a pat on the back for his versatility

Joey Ravn

Banned
I've been playing a bit more now than I finally finished Code Veronica X (me and my damned "play everything in order" mania...). I'm still very early into Act I, but I'm already having second thoughts on my party.

I started with a human Rogue on Normal, but I had to turn it down to Easy because I persistently got owned by basically everything. Right now, I have the first three companions you get (
Aloth, Edér and Durance
) and I've read that the rest of them are not the greatest characters ever, in terms of stats distribution and such. I've been thinking about going with a fully custom party, but, at the same time, I fear I will be missing a lot of the plot of the game (or, at least, the personal side quests) if I don't have the in-game NPCs on my party. What should I do? Should I create new characters from scratch? Or should I just truck along with the default NPCs?

Also, I'm still not feeling well with magic in these games. When I play Baldur's Gate, I go with a fully-melee party. At most, I rely on a Cleric's healing and I dual class Imoen into a Thief/Mage to have some backup magic in case I need it, but that's it. Knowing this, do you guys have any tips for my possible party?

A while after I had that dialog, they both had lines about how his hand was swelling up and looking purple. She said that she had told him so, and it was his fault for petting it. The attention to details like that really make the game.

I believe he also says something like,"If he's not supposed to be pet, then why is he so fluffy??"

Gave me a good laugh. :)

Farks!

Without spoiling anything, what's the consensus on the companions so far? I've heard that paladins as a class are quite underwhelming, and thus the paladin companion isn't worthwhile. Should I pick up the fighter in Gilded Vale instead? It might be a bit redundant since I'm a fighter myself, but I like to have at least two steady frontline combatants in these types of games.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Without spoiling anything, what's the consensus on the companions so far? I've heard that paladins as a class are quite underwhelming, and thus the paladin companion isn't worthwhile. Should I pick up the fighter in Gilded Vale instead? It might be a bit redundant since I'm a fighter myself, but I like to have at least two steady frontline combatants in these types of games.

No consensus yet.

Pals seem pretty underwhelming in combat, but the Pal companion is generally considered to be one of the most interesting lore/story-wise, so it's really up to you.

epmode

I'm pretty excited about this, GAF:

poebox.jpg

JC Sera

I have both as my frontline, having two in the frontline fighter/paladin combo is pretty great.
Both are really great storywise, and I wouldn't advise ignoring them for min/maxing unless you are playing on expert hard or PotD.

Rodin

Guys i'm in Act I, i talked to
Raedric and now i'm deciding if i should kill him or his cousin. Where can i find Kolsc? I think i'm gonna side against Raedric because of the horrors he committed, whereas his cousin is just power hungry and manipulative, but i want to try both ways. Problem is, i can't find his camp.

EDIT: nevermind, i just found him.

cut

Wow that's awesome man, congrats!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Sooo yeah... my Grieving Mother has 28 int. I guess I have been struck by the bug.

Dineren

Banned
collector.jpg

Yay it finally arrived! I can't believe it has been more than two years since I backed this. Looking forward to starting this after I finish Bloodborne Hopefully a patch fixing most of the major bugs will be out by then. Even with the issues I've read about, it is still difficult not to drop BB and get started on this.

I've been thinking about creating a chanter when I finally do get started. Can two be in the same party at once and still be useful? I don't really want to limit myself when it comes to companions and if needed would rather use a class that doesn't have a companion if they don't stack well.

Still can't believe Eder and Aloth are voiced by the same actor, that guy should get a pat on the back for his versatility

WHAT

That's amazing. 100% agreed; never would've guessed.

Yup. That would be Matt Mercer who has guaranteed worked on a bunch of projects you've seen or played before.

Sidenote: Matt Mercer DM's a tabletop game of DnD that's been ongoing for quite awhile now. Every member of the game is a professional Voice Actor.

Volodja

I'm considering and attempt for the Solo Triple Crown while waiting for the patch (no companions to get screwed up there).

Not sure what class to go for or how to stat them.
I already know that a Tank, no matter how durable, can't win some fights, they are just gonna go on forever until you have no health left.
I was thinking a Rogue with very high Stealth and avoiding basically all fights and hoping that I can just burst down whatever I find myself against. Hella squishy, however.
For the stats I'm just going all out might and dex and the rest base.
Let's see how it fares.
The starting area should be doable with the story supplied tank covering me.

Burt

poebox.jpg

Beautiful. Congrats!

Went back and checked the stats on my Eder, 60 base deflection at level 12 so I think I haven't been affected. If that's true, I would say that people shouldn't worry too much about the bug if it's only confined to deflection, because my Eder's been essentially immune to regular weapon attacks outside of a few difficulty spike encounters (bounties, (Act 3)
Raedric 2
Fampyrs
on Od Nua Floor 8, and the boss at the very bottom of Od Nua).

I'm considering and attempt for the Solo Triple Crown while waiting for the patch (no companions to get screwed up there).

I already know that a Tank, no matter how durable, can't win some fights, they are just gonna go on forever until you have no health left.
I was thinking a Rogue with very high Stealth and avoiding basically all fights and hoping that I can just burst down whatever I find myself against. Hella squishy, however.
Let's see how it fares.
I've been thinking about it a bit and I think that a wizard with fairly rounded stats might be your best shot. Tons of damage, tons of CC, tons of buffs for both defense and melee for when you get backed into a corner. I'm not super familiar with them, but I couldn't see a rogue lasting too long in some of the forced encounters, but maybe there are ways through them via conversations.

JC Sera

Yup. That would be Matt Mercer who has guaranteed worked on a bunch of projects you've seen or played before.

Sidenote: Matt Mercer DM's a tabletop game of DnD that's been ongoing for quite awhile now. Every member of the game is a professional Voice Actor.
Do they post escapades? I always enjoy hearing about Sterling's D&D shenanigans

Beautiful. Congrats!

Went back and checked the stats on my Eder, 60 base deflection at level 12 so I think I haven't been affected. If that's true, I would say that people shouldn't worry too much about the bug if it's only confined to deflection, because my Eder's been essentially immune to regular weapon attacks outside of a few difficulty spike encounters (bounties, (Act 3)
Raedric 2
Fampyrs
on Od Nua Floor 8, and the boss at the very bottom of Od Nua).

I have 50% more deflection than you at level 4. People should worry about it. The game has been a cake walk since after leaving the 1st village for me, now I know why.

And done at about 48 hours. Really good game. If I was ranking it against the old IE games it would be second only behind Baldur's Gate 2. I did most of the quests but a few remained unfinished, and I didn't really bother with some of the character quests for the party members I didn't use.

Just one thing really left to do. End of the Endless Paths spoilers:
That damn dragon.

Visceir

Finished the game. I was so ready for the game to end already and skipped most of the second half side-content. The gameplay elements/combat were rather cumbersome. Had to turn on god mode for the last boss since it was such a weird difficulty spike.

Volodja

I've been thinking about it a bit and I think that a wizard with fairly rounded stats might be your best shot. Tons of damage, tons of CC, tons of buffs for both defense and melee for when you get backed into a corner. I'm not super familiar with them, but I couldn't see a rogue lasting too long in some of the forced encounters, but maybe there are ways through them via conversations.
I agree that some forced encounter is gonna gib me hard with a rogue, but I wanna see exactly which ones.
I'll have to take the path of minor resisance all game, anyway. I guess I'll consider this character a slimy lowlife out for just himself.
A spellcaster is probably gonna be the best, yeah, but I wanted to play a class that I didn't have a chance to try.
Another option may be Druid if this fails spectacularly.

Pilgrimzero

That you can watch them play on Twitch via Geek and Sundry. Every Thursday I think...
2 or 3 episodes so far. Ashley Johnson will be re-joining them soon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'd just like to point out that if it weren't for publishers being a bunch of cock juggling thunder cunts that we could have a string of games like this for the past 15 years.

Just think about that.

Chaos17

Paladin class ain't like in World of Warcraft or Diablo.
I've one mercenry paladin and he is weaker than Eder, the warrior at the moment (level 4).
He takes so much more damages than him.

Burt

I have 50% more deflection than you at level 4. People should worry about it. The game has been a cake walk since after leaving the 1st village for me, now I know why.

Yeah, what I meant was that even though I only had a fraction of the deflection that you have at that level, I'm struggling to remember any encounters where deflection-focused damage was an issue for Eder. Maybe
Raedric
, but Eder getting hurt by physical damage was a thing of the past by Defiance Bay. He's just a super tank.

JC Sera

I'd just like to point out that if it weren't for publishers being a bunch of cock juggling thunder cunts that we could have a string of games like this for the past 15 years.

Just think about that.
Hey thats unfair

They are responsible for us missing out on a lot more than just this

Dresden

Let's see how it fares.

Rogues are probably too fragile. Some combination of spellcasting, buffs, and high deflection would be best - I'd say a tankish chanter or druid.

I'd recommend Eder just for his commentary. I can't comment on the Paladin since I was locked out of getting her as a companion.

Volodja

Yeah, what I meant was that even though I only had a fraction of the deflection that you have at that level, I'm struggling to remember any encounters where deflection-focused damage was an issue for Eder. Maybe
Raedric
, but Eder getting hurt by physical damage was a thing of the past by Defiance Bay. He's just a super tank.
But it's not just deflection.
It's all defences.

Rogues are probably too fragile. Some combination of spellcasting, buffs, and high deflection would be best - I'd say a tankish chanter or druid.
Yes, I agree.
I still wanna see what I can try and do after the very start by just avoiding fights.

Corpekata

Banned
Blarg be careful looting quest enemies after a fight before you're officially out of combat. Bugged out on me so that the game thinks I'm never out of combat. Tried changing maps and it crashed on me. The quest item brought up some dialogue so probably not going to be widespread issue but kinda annoyed at the progress lost because it won't let you save in combat for obvious reasons.

Finished the game. I was so ready for the game to end already and skipped most of the second half side-content. The gameplay elements/combat were rather cumbersome. Had to turn on god mode for the last boss since it was such a weird difficulty spike.
How long did it take you? Curious what the final length will be for people.

Onemic

I really don't know why I picked to generate a GoG key instead of a steam key. The DRM shit really doesn't mean much to me and I won't get any achivements. :(

Tacitus_

Is there a way to reduce the chance of bandits stealing my taxes? I tried hiring some minions to up the defense value so I've got 10/15 prestige/defense but over half of my next taxes were stolen.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there a way to reduce the chance of bandits stealing my taxes? I tried hiring some minions to up the defense value so I've got 10/15 prestige/defense but over half of my next taxes were stolen.

Hirelings are broken right now I think. I have way more security than prestige and got all but like 20cp stolen.

Isaccard

Is there a way to speed up the scrolling camera? I also keep getting rekt by these two bandits as a Wizard after the tutorial area...

smashism

I feel like I should hold off on playing this game until some of the more major bugs get worked out. Anyone else on that train?

Nordicus

Found a guy called Jani Haukka in the Bay lmao. That's a completely regular Finnish name. Kind of weird and, dare I say, immersion breaking.
Hah, I dunno, since Icewind Dale 2 had a whole village of Finnish named characters
I feel like I should hold off on playing this game until some of the more major bugs get worked out. Anyone else on that train?
I won't do anything like that, but I will hold off on Hard mode playthrough until most of this stuff is ironed out.

I'll just keep playing in Normal, and any character who's super overpowered or useless because of bugs, I'll just let them hang around in my stronghold

goblin

Alright guys, I've been out of town over the weekend so I finally get to start up Pillars of Eternity.

What class do you think I should play?
I know this is a super ambiguous question
I think I've narrowed my choices down to a melee cipher, druid, paladin tank, or rogue.
Which ones are the most fun to play? Which ones have the most utility?

Also, does anyone have the links to the various portrait dumps?

Of those options, the Druid has the most abilities and the most utility by a pretty wide margin with healing, summons, buffs, debuffs, single-target damage and targeted or point-blank AoE. Cipher is next and has some good damage and control abilities. Rogues are straightforward, single-target damage and not much else. Paladins are... kind of mediocre, honestly.

There's no Rogue NPC, so if you don't plan to create your own party and don't like doubling up on classes then that's a good choice. I played a Rogue and liked it, but was pretty disappointed with backstab and most traps. Sneak attacking with a blunderbuss and blowing up casters is pretty funny throughout the game, though.

Laptop meltdown, no warning. Shut down out-of-the-blue. Really hot.

PSFndDV.png

Putting Pillars of Eternity aside until I upgrade to better hardware.
---

Here's the minuscule progress I had made after my first go, continuing to attempt to tweak my graphics card/OS settings to force-play the game at 640x480 resolution:

Screenies (max zoom-out)
TGxGsiB.png

IvdBgUe.png

Used this console command to fix the zoom proximity~
setZoomRange 0.5 150

My main issues remained the font blurriness and dialogue/text window blow-up-

C414a2H.jpg

wlbERmp.png

These UI elements were straight-up illegible, despite all the flavour text within the Inventory and Character Sheet sub-menus being fine. Played around with font scaling. Screens above are were taken at max scaling (130%?). No change, still dire.

Installed the IE mod. Experimented around with it for a while, to no avail.

My attempts were all kiddie surface-tier. I've got no experience in chipping at the underbelly of this technical berg :eek:

Short of learning how to Unity/code and somehow conjuring up a custom resolution bruteforcer mod (if such a thing is possible) or something, I'm stumped.

Probably going to re-install Icewind Dale II to sate my cRPG lust, for now.

cya PoE-GAF :'(

Top Bottom