• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

r3n4ud

I feel like I should hold off on playing this game until some of the more major bugs get worked out. Anyone else on that train?

JNgKb42.gif

I shall continue on and laugh in the face of bugs!

Remmy2112

I have a question about summon items. Most of them say "requires 0 summoned creatures," so does that mean I can only have one group of summons active for my entire party or can my Chanter summon up some dudes and I use a talisman to summon more? And are summon items one time use or multiple?

Durante

I could never ever stop. (Also haven't been affected by any significant bugs luckily, so far, knock on wood)

I'm pretty excited about this, GAF:

poebox.jpg
So jealous. Mine is still "Shipping Soon".

I'd just like to point out that if it weren't for publishers being a bunch of cock juggling thunder cunts that we could have a string of games like this for the past 15 years.

Just think about that.
Even that thought doesn't ruin my mood, that's how good PoE is :p

Blizzard

Banned
I'm considering and attempt for the Solo Triple Crown while waiting for the patch (no companions to get screwed up there).

Not sure what class to go for or how to stat them.
I already know that a Tank, no matter how durable, can't win some fights, they are just gonna go on forever until you have no health left.
I was thinking a Rogue with very high Stealth and avoiding basically all fights and hoping that I can just burst down whatever I find myself against. Hella squishy, however.
For the stats I'm just going all out might and dex and the rest base.
Let's see how it fares.
The starting area should be doable with the story supplied tank covering me.
I'm working on this as well, though I have to use my main character to basically scout ahead since it's my first time playing through and I have no idea which areas are ultra dangerous.

I had trouble even making it through the intro fights with some classes, like ciphers, though part of that is probably me being bad at combat.

I am not sure if wizard is even possible without lots of camping supply management and avoiding battles, because:

1. At low levels, you have very few spells that are likely to instakill (especially on the triple crown solo difficulty level)
  2. As far as I'm aware wizards only have one skill that's NOT per rest, until they hit level 9. Triple crown solo means you can only carry two camping supply sets, and they're presumably more rare than in other modes.
  3. In any fight you would have to tank for yourself or burn a bunch of spells (like the oil slick) attempting to temporarily slow things down.

Grief.exe

Druid. Control or annihilate from afar, and then close in and obliterate whatever remains with your spiritshift.

Of those options, the Druid has the most abilities and the most utility by a pretty wide margin with healing, summons, buffs, debuffs, single-target damage and targeted or point-blank AoE. Cipher is next and has some good damage and control abilities. Rogues are straightforward, single-target damage and not much else. Paladins are... kind of mediocre, honestly.

There's no Rogue NPC, so if you don't plan to create your own party and don't like doubling up on classes then that's a good choice. I played a Rogue and liked it, but was pretty disappointed with backstab and most traps. Sneak attacking with a blunderbuss and blowing up casters is pretty funny throughout the game, though.

Druid is just too good.

Sounds like Paladin would be a bad idea as it is a mediocre class overall, yet has one of the best NPCs available. Best to not double up on that class.

Volodja

I'm working on this as well, though I have to use my main character to basically scout ahead since it's my first time playing through and I have no idea which areas are ultra dangerous.

I had trouble even making it through the intro fights with some classes, like ciphers, though part of that is probably me being bad at combat.

I am not sure if wizard is even possible without lots of camping supply management and avoid battles, because:

1. At low levels, you have very few spells that are likely to instakill (especially on the triple crown solo difficulty level)
  2. As far as I'm aware wizards only have one skill that's NOT per rest, until they hit level 9. Triple crown solo means you can only carry two camping supply sets, and they're presumably more rare than in other modes.
  3. In any fight you would have to tank for yourself or burn a bunch of spells (like the oil slick) attempting to temporarily slow things down.
Oh with a wizard I'd fully expect to spend a lot of time going from the various areas back to town every couple fights basically.

Finished the tutorial area with my Rogue for now even when I was left behind by the Fighter tank, me and my temporary npc rogue brother managed to out damage the enemies.
I'm honestly not sure if this would've been possible without the Preorder Ring that you get at start, with 19 might the amount of Endurance it heals is massive this early in the game.

You could build a wizard as more of a melee tanking class through the use of certain spells. There are spells that offer high deflection / protection which are only useful if you're getting up close and personal. There are ones that buff your accuracy and grant magical weapons and make enemies easier to hit and stuff.

Never done it myself but I think it might be possible.

Durante

You could build a wizard as more of a melee tanking class through the use of certain spells. There are spells that offer high deflection / protection which are only useful if you're getting up close and personal. There are ones that buff your accuracy and grant magical weapons and make enemies easier to hit and stuff.

The Muscle Wizard lives.

Nordicus

I think so too. I played through Neverwinter Nights 2 as a Fighter/Rogue/Wizard multiclass who was pretty untouchable in melee thanks to his Alteration buffs, so I'm definitely tempted to some time make a fighting wizard

Blizzard

Banned
Oh with a wizard I'd fully expect to spend a lot of time going from the various areas back to town every couple fights basically.

Finished the tutorial area with my Rogue for now even when I was left behind by the Fighter tank, me and my temporary npc rogue brother managed to out damage the enemies.
I'm honestly not sure if this would've been possible without the Preorder Ring that you get at start, with 19 might the amount of Endurance it heals is massive this early in the game.
I have the preorder ring and pig even though I'm not a backer, but for my solo triple crown attempts I refuse to use or sell them so I can say I'm doing it vanilla. =P One spoilery tip if you want gold early on:
Make sure your character has at least 1 mechanics skill when you build them, and go loot the tent in the lower left before finding the water skin. This will give you the Disappointer that you can sell for a decent amount of money to Heodan.

You mean Heodan? I didn't realize he was a rogue.

That's a good point. Pillars of Eternity doesn't have a "multiclass" option per se, as far as I know, but wizard does have the self-healing magic quarterstaff summon you can do.

Labadal

I beat three of the tier 1 bounties without doing anything else inbetween.

The wurms summon for the chanter and the cipher abilities are great.

I have also died much more with my monk. I looked at stats and he has died 25 times. The good thing is that he's a good damage dealer.

I just got another level and picked a modal ability that gives him +8 Defelection. I bought a ring that adds another 10 and I gave him an enchanted hatchet that adds 5. That's a +23 Deflection boost in one go.

petghost

Banned

But aren't a lot of those spells per rest and wear off after an encounter? It seems like it would be a really hard thing to sustain. Plus you would have to reapply all those spells at the beginning of combat each time when you could be doing actually useful shit. Muscle wizard seems kinda whack.

Annubis

I have the preorder ring and pig even though I'm not a backer, but for my solo triple crown attempts I refuse to use or sell them so I can say I'm doing it vanilla. =P One spoilery tip if you want gold early on:
Make sure your character has at least 1 mechanics skill when you build them, and go loot the tent in the lower left before finding the water skin. This will give you the Disappointer that you can sell for a decent amount of money to Heodan.

Pig is worth 0 copper like other pets.

But aren't a lot of those spells per rest and wear off after an encounter? It seems like it would be a really hard thing to sustain. Plus you would have to reapply all those spells at the beginning of combat each time when you could be doing actually useful shit. Muscle wizard seems kinda whack.

People just miss the Baldur's Gate prefight buffing

This is the next best thing

Almighty

I feel like I should hold off on playing this game until some of the more major bugs get worked out. Anyone else on that train?

I was tempted, but I am enjoying it enough that I will keep on trucking. It also helps that the most annoying bug I have been having seems to have died down recently. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Volodja

Titan Sorc from Diablo 2, basically.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Yes. Quit playing after reading about the stat corruption bug because I'm 99% sure Obsidian is going to make us restart the game when the patch hits.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Which class would even have the slightest chance for a TC-Solo attempt?
Barbarian?
Depending on how many mandatory fights there are, Rogue? Maybe? Just one shotting guys, then running away to level up and sneaking past the rest?

petghost

Banned
Barbarian?
Depending on how many mandatory fights there are, Rogue? Maybe? Just one shotting guys, then running away to level up and sneaking past the rest?

I think a rogue would have a good chance cuz of shadowing beyond. Maybe a super tanky fire godlike monk?

dang what am I doing wrong? at beggining

cant beat the bear in the cave. cant helpm the guy in first town in catacomb as mobs insta kill me. cant go south of first town as i die instantly. did a few quests in town but not sure where to go next without insta death

Fantastapotamus

I think a rogue would have a good chance cuz of shadowing beyond. Maybe a super tanky fire godlike monk?

I imagine a high stealth skill is absolutely mandatory, otherwise there is no way one guy will get through a dungeon.
I imagine for the "experts don't rest" (no idea how it's actually called in english) achievment Inns count as well?

Corpekata

Banned
dang what am I doing wrong? at beggining

cant beat the bear in the cave. cant helpm the guy in first town in catacomb as mobs insta kill me. cant go south of first town as i die instantly. did a few quests in town but not sure where to go next without insta death

Do you have many party members? There's no way you should be dying instantly south of town. Most of the surrounding areas of Gilded Vale are the real beginner areas.

Dresden

Barbarian?

rough guess:

druid
chanter
fighter (tank)
monk (tank)

Some way to mitigate damage via buffs, debuffs, summons, hp, deflection, crowd control. I think druids would have the best shot - can build up deflection high, great aoe, and spritshift to fall back on for some extra abilities (wolf's knock-down).

Ciphers would take a lot of finesse, I think. Don't know anything about rangers. Paladins are lame, who'd want to play one? Rogues are too fragile. Wizards are the glassiest cannons ever - their base hp pool is so low no amount of CON will get them to an acceptably tanky level, and their deflection boosting spells are all rest-based until level 9 or so.

elithrar

I may have to hold off a little:

• No Eder
    after talking to the animancer
  • Black-screening in
    Raedric's hold when trying to return to the courtyard
  • "Hired" Paladin NPC party member gets wrecked in full plate (likely due to the -2 DR bug)

Other than that, the story starts with a bang and the combat is fun. Cipher is probably a little *too* strong but the active playstyle makes it a good "PC" character.

Voror

What might the average length of a playthrough be? I'm still working through some other games before I get to this, but wanted to know so I could plan out what to do.

I want to do a Chanter, Cipher, Monk, and Rouge. I'm probably going to start with Chanter because I just really like the idea behind it. Is there an ideal race for that one or could I be could with anything? I looked at the guide and it seemed to suggest Moon Godlike or Wild Orlan, but wasn't sure if there were other viable options.

Fantastapotamus

What classes are not represented in the available companion NPCs?

Rogue and Monk.

rough guess:

druid
chanter
fighter (tank)
monk (tank)

Some way to mitigate damage via buffs, debuffs, summons, hp, deflection, crowd control. I think druids would have the best shot - can build up deflection high, great aoe, and spritshift to fall back on for some extra abilities (wolf's knock-down).

Ciphers would take a lot of finesse, I think. Don't know anything about rangers. Paladins are lame, who'd want to play one? Rogues are too fragile. Wizards are the glassiest cannons ever - their base hp pool is so low no amount of CON will get them to an acceptably tanky level, and their deflection boosting spells are all rest-based until level 9 or so.
Man, this is going to be interesting. I can't imagine a solo tank having any chance but what do I know. So far none of the fights have been mandatory, will be interesting to see how much fighting is actually required to finish the game.

Volodja

rough guess:

druid
chanter
fighter (tank)
monk (tank)

I think tank fighters don't do enough damage.
I've been stuck into fights were Eder was unkillable, sure, but he also was unable to kill the opponent, they would just regen any damage he did.

Also at the end of the woods right before Gilded Vale, the pack of Wolfs in the last difficulty setting has 5 of them. My rogue said bye to the world. I guess next time I'm not actually trying to do that fight.

Durante

lol yeah, I paid 20 $ (which was way less than 20 € at the time), didn't care much for it afterwards, and then a really good 40 € game came out of the sky last week.
i paid $280 and I'd happily do so again. Some things money can't buy, but apparently it can bring back awesome cRPGs.

Tacitus_

Some act 1 quest stuff

Blood Legacy (missing noble woman)
That final decision took some thinking. Finally decided to let her go, since the noble was a disgusting fuck, but I wanted an option that wasn't quite as extreme.

Through Death's Gate
shieeeeeetttt

And finished the Endless Paths. For whatever reason I didn't encounter many bugs. Just Eder endlessly breakdancing once when he should have been fighting, and one area where everyone turned hostile whenever I loaded a save. Other than that, it was smooth sailing.

Only real complaint was that I ended the game with over 100,000 in copper. I wish there had been something really expensive to buy.

Out of curiosity, would you guys recommend this game to people unfamiliar with this style of RPG?

A few of my friends are interested because of how much I've been raving about it, but their experience of Western RPGs tends more toward Skyrim/Mass Effect/Fallout 3 rather than Baldur's Gate.

A few have thought about picking it up but I've always felt the need to warn them how text heavy and dense it can be, and that 45 bucks is a lot of money to drop only to find something you might not be able to bring yourself to enjoy.

I just found the best helmet in the game, the Stag Helm - by virtue of its appearance alone.

Spoilers: I've got a screenshot of it on my inventory paperdoll here, which will have to do. 'Tis a glorious thing.

I'm getting tired of having to go back to the inn to rest or buy stuff to be able to sleep (?)
I love the game (and don't even want to check if my group buffs are bugged too), but man...I fear one day I may lose my mind with all this rest system and never come back to it. I would've preferred a little more freedom.

I'm getting tired of having to go back to the inn to rest or buy stuff to be able to sleep (?)
I love the game (and don't even want to check if my group buffs are bugged too), but man...I fear one day I may lose my mind with all this rest system and never come back to it. I would've preferred a little more freedom.

What difficulty are you on? Restricted resting is sorta the point of Hard, and the lesser difficulties barely have any restrictions at all.

Unless you're getting absolutely demolished every battle, Normal's limit of 4-ish should be more than enough. If it's not, you may need to shake up your party roster, or hire more party members if you're particularly early on.

Violet_0

Banned
so that Dryford missing girl quest got weird fast

I take it there's no real happy end to the quest? I didn't kill her in the cultist room and I didn't start a fight with the Skaed priests, and in the tavern I could only decided between telling her uncle that she was brainwashed or say nothing - I went with the later.

also, just why did they decide to travel through the one tiny town with the huge dungeon and lots crazy cultists underneath ...
oh, and did the other villagers know about cult?

Vamphuntr

so that Dryford missing girl quest got weird fast

I take it there's no real happy end to the quest? I didn't kill her in the cultist room and I didn't start a fight with the Skaed priests, and in the tavern I could only decided between telling her father that she was brainwashed or stay silent - I went with the later.

also, just why did they decide to travel through the one tiny town with the huge dungeon and lots crazy cultists underneath ...
oh, and did the other villagers know about cult?

If you have a cipher in your group you can free her from the taint and she escapes her creepy uncle.

Been playing it really slow and reading/absorbing everything so I finally made it to Defiance Bay today and stopped right before I went into the Goose and Fox. I was actually so giddy about playing this part that I wanted to savor it when I wasn't so busy tomorrow.

Picked up
Sagani
in the wilderness outside DB, and I liked her story so much I decided to keep her. I'll probably pick up and dismiss everyone at some point.

I have the stronghold, obviously, but have gone into the Endless Paths yet.

Questions:
1) Can you do the Endless Paths at any time?
2) Do dismissed companions go back to your Stronghold so you can pick them back up later if you want?

Also, I love this stronghold idea so much I will spend every bit of money I get to improve it. I can't help it.

Tovarisc

I personally like it that limited amount of camp supplies [2 on hard] forces you to plan ahead and do estimations on e.g. how long this dungeon run will be. How much per rest spells I should use and when to use camp.

Especially if been on road for a while and party is getting tired which causes debuffs.

Restocking on supplies and getting Inn buffs go nicely hand in hand with doing vendor runs to sell goodies from said dungeons.

Edit: 4k people are watching Dan playing PoE and he takes his sweet time by reading dialogue etc., bad streaming game eh? :D http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming

Top Bottom