• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Violet_0

Banned
If you have a cipher in your group you can free her from the taint and she escapes her creepy uncle.

I had Grieving Mother with me (she even said she could heal her) but I never got the option to do so. Either break her neck or let her go, and then tell her uncle or not. And I have high int and perception

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Been playing it really slow and reading/absorbing everything so I finally made it to Defiance Bay today and stopped right before I went into the Goose and Fox. I was actually so giddy about playing this part that I wanted to savor it when I wasn't so busy tomorrow.

Picked up
Sagani
in the wilderness outside DB, and I liked her story so much I decided to keep her. I'll probably pick up and dismiss everyone at some point.

I have the stronghold, obviously, but have gone into the Endless Paths yet.

Questions:
1) Can you do the Endless Paths at any time?
2) Do dismissed companions go back to your Stronghold so you can pick them back up later if you want?

Also, I love this stronghold idea so much I will spend every bit of money I get to improve it. I can't help it.

As far as I can tell, you can do the Endless paths any time. First few floors weren't too bad. Dismissed companions go the stronghold, but can actually be swapped in and out at any inn too.

Tovarisc

I have the stronghold, obviously, but have gone into the Endless Paths yet.

Questions:
1) Can you do the Endless Paths at any time?
2) Do dismissed companions go back to your Stronghold so you can pick them back up later if you want?

1) Yes. Only restriction will be your party level for how deep you can get.

2) Dismissed as in not selected for current party? Then yes, they are in Stronghold and available for party. I think you can also tell companion to leave your team for good, but I don't suggest doing that.

Tybolt

Banned
I'm not sure how I feel about this HP/Endurance thing. I mean, it saves me from save scumming as early-game Baldur's Gate was prancing around encounters while trying to make sure nobody dies or gets gibbed, after all... But my party feels pretty meek when most heavy encounters end up with someone getting the shit knocked out of them.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I had Grieving Mother with me (she even said she could heal her) but I never got the option to do so. Either break her neck or let her go, and then tell her uncle or not. And I have high int and perception

Did you tell her to heal her when she asked you? In my case I had the option between "do it" and "*be an asshole*" I don't think you can heal her later.

OK GAF, how bad have I screwed myself?

All characters level 6

Eder:
MGT 16
CON 16
DEX 11
PER 10
INT 13
RES 12
DEFLECTION 42
FORTITUDE 59
REFLEX 37
WILL 53

Kana:
MGT 16
CON 12
DEX 9
PER 14
INT 17
RES 10
DEFLECTION 44
FORTITUDE 51
REFLEX 41
WILL 57

Durance
MGT 14
CON 15
DEX 9
PER 9
INT 13
RES 19
DEFLECTION 38
FORTITUDE 63
REFLEX 42
WILL 67

Hate to quote myself but currently debating continuing on or putting things on hold for the inevitable patch. Is my squad overpowered or are the above stats reasonable? If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

U2NUMB

Just finding out about this game... Interested but I have a question.

I don't have the time or patience any longer to deal with tough games... So does the game have a difficulty setting? I just want to experience the story without dying all the time. I know I know I am a wuss.. But I want to support them but I also want to enjoy it.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm pretty sure I didn't get the option, got a save file from before entering the room so I can check later

That's weird, I'm 99% sure your stats don't play a role here and I just got GM so it can't be a 2this character must like you this much" thing either.

Just finding out about this game... Interested but I have a question.

I don't have the time or patience any longer to deal with tough games... So does the game have a difficulty setting? I just want to experience the story without dying all the time. I know I know I am a wuss.. But I want to support them but I also want to enjoy it.

Yes, there is an easy setting and you can change the difficulty during the game whenever you want. Game can be pretty tough at the beginning, it get's easier later on as most RPGs do.

Burt

Oh man, Twin Elms

Talking to the gods is awesome. I did the Hylea quest which was good on its own, but then you talk to her and learn all this stuff and get a big ass important decision and then Pallegina confronts her. That was awesome. I don't think all do all of the gods because just going out and killing the dwarf and elf isn't really my style, but I'll see which other ones I can squeeze in.

Dammit, actually I already accepted Hylea's help, no more gods for me. Oh well.

What difficulty are you on? Restricted resting is sorta the point of Hard, and the lesser difficulties barely have any restrictions at all.

Unless you're getting absolutely demolished every battle, Normal's limit of 4-ish should be more than enough. If it's not, you may need to shake up your party roster, or hire more party members if you're particularly early on.

I'm on hard, party of 5 members. I usually avoid large number of enemies and try to ambush them while I grow stronger and get better equipment. Old top down RPGs were hard, PoE goes a bit further imo.

Fine Padded Armor + Hood makes a fairly passable old school Mortal Kombat outfit with the right color coding. Combine that with the monk class and well...hehe.

Could probably make an Aumaua into Reptile.

Galileo

Neo Member
Hate to quote myself but currently debating continuing on or putting things on hold for the inevitable patch. Is my squad overpowered or are the above stats reasonable? If you could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
I think you're fine, your Kana and Durance have same stats as mine and Eder's deflection seems reasonable (42 vs 43 of my "hired" level 6 fighter)

Volodja

Their Deflections are at the right amount.

Can't say the rest, I don't really know the starting values for the other stats for all classes.
I know that the Fortitude on Eder is right (20 starting + 15 from levels + 24 from stats).

I'm on hard, party of 5 members. I usually avoid large number of enemies and try to ambush them while I grow stronger and get better equipment. Old top down RPGs were hard, PoE goes a bit further imo.

Alright, firstly you're needlessly handicapping yourself by being down an ally; and secondly, the lower difficulties exist for a reason.

Your criticism makes no sense to me.

I think you're fine, your Kana and Durance have same stats as mine and Eder's deflection seems reasonable (42 vs 43 of my "hired" level 6 fighter)

Can't say the rest, I don't really know the starting values for the other stats for all classes.
I know that the Fortitude on Eder is right (20 starting + 15 from levels + 24 from stats).

Thank you!

The attributes are all correct, I think. Eder's definitely are.

Salsa

game really gets going once you (optionally) get into Od Nua

savoring this bizzz

but yeah, will need to come back later

Just got hit with my first major bug. Game is basically unplayable.

When I load up my game, the mouse cursor is completely invisible. I can see it when I click-drag or even when I open my inventory, but otherwise it's not there. I'm clicking blindly to move my characters. Wooooooo......

goblin

Oh man, Twin Elms

Talking to the gods is awesome. I did the Hylea quest which was good on its own, but then you talk to her and learn all this stuff and get a big ass important decision and then Pallegina confronts her. That was awesome. I don't think all do all of the gods because just going out and killing the dwarf and elf isn't really my style, but I'll see which other ones I can squeeze in.

Dammit, actually I already accepted Hylea's help, no more gods for me. Oh well.

How 'bout that sky dragon, huh? Looks awesome, but after finishing the Endless Paths I can't imagine it was very challenging.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Is that the signed guidebook? ($500+ tier) It seems like it's a different version than the standard guidebook. (The signed page is different from the one packed in the other version, and the one being sold separately.)

Yeah, it is. While I have contributed to a lot of different Kickstarters, Obsidian is my favorite developer, so I went a lot further in than I normally would.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Just did a spot-check and Eder has +4 too much deflection thanks to the loading bug. I'm level 5. Didn't check his other stats or any other party members yet, but if the bug effects everyone if it effects anyone, it seems like it probably only happened to me once.

Now to decide how anal about it I want to be, and if I want to carry on or wait for a patch. Right now I'm leaning towards carrying on. A few small stat boosts don't seem like too much of a benefit. Doubly so when Eder's defense stat alone provides +15 deflection.

Is there a sheet anywhere of what companion's stat sheets SHOULD be at each level? If not, could we/should we make one? I'd like to compare my other companions to where they're supposed to be, just in case it hit someone else harder.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Any tips to getting my tanks to hold aggro? I have Eder and a Pally I hired, both level 3 or 4.

I dont really have any skills that attract enemy attention, I think just knock down and the pally fireblade thing.

Whats weird is my PC (barbarian) attracts ton of aggro, even more than my casters.

I've tried holding him back and engaging with him last, letting tanks start fighting first... but almost every fight that has any length to it, a couple enemies will break off the tanks and go after him and I cant get them back on the tanks at all.

Maybe the tanks get better aggro skills at higher levels, not sure.

Tacitus_

Any tips to getting my tanks to hold aggro? I have Eder and a Pally I hired, both level 3 or 4.

I dont really have any skills that attract enemy attention, I think just knock down and the pally fireblade thing.

Whats weird is my PC (barbarian) attracts ton of aggro, even more than my casters.

I've tried holding him back and engaging with him last, letting tanks start fighting first... but almost every fight that has any length to it, a couple enemies will break off the tanks and go after him and I cant get them back on the tanks at all.

I haven't seen any by level 8. I mostly handle it by abusing tight spaces and liberal applications of the knockdown pool from my mage PC.

Violet_0

Banned
there isn't really an aggro system afaik. They might attempt to go after your weak party members but as soon as a character engages them in combat they'll mostly stick to them

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I haven't seen any by level 8. I mostly handle it by abusing tight spaces and liberal applications of the knockdown pool from my mage PC.

Ok cool, I'm kinda doing the same. Just wondering if there was a skill or tactic that worked to hold aggro.

there isn't really an aggro system afaik. They might attempt to go after your weak party members but as soon as a character engages them in combat they'll mostly stick to them

Ah ok gotcha.

Burt

How 'bout that sky dragon, huh? Looks awesome, but after finishing the Endless Paths I can't imagine it was very challenging.

I let it live, broh.

Benevolent 3 for lyfe

But after I let it go I reloaded it and killed it. Then I reloaded and let it live again.

But yeah, everything's pretty much a cakewalk at this point. Hopefully it'll pick back up down the line and not just for a few bosses. I think the way in which they handled hard difficulty means it's pretty much set at this point though. Adding more enemies instead of buffing stats across the board only makes it harder when you don't have effective tools for dealing with numbers, and between the amount of CC later in the game and general availability of choke points for battles, that's not much of a problem.

Like everyone said, it's mostly just about getting tanks in melee range first and the enemies stick to them from there. There is an engage limit though, which is how many guys a tank can have tied up at once. I think it starts at 2, but you can up it to 3 or 4 through levels.

Zalusithix

Yeah, it is. While I have contributed to a lot of different Kickstarters, Obsidian is my favorite developer, so I went a lot further in than I normally would.

Cool, you basically have what appears to be a limited print run version of the book, and have it signed as well. =)

Also, I'm not judging you in the least for spending that much. I dumped $250 into it and don't even have any nostalgia for the isometric cRPGs. I like RPGs in general, but I was going through a console game phase back in the Baulder's Gate era. Besides, if it wasn't for people throwing irrationally large sums of money at crowdfunded games, they'd never pan out. PoE would have ended up with around half of the funds that it ended up getting if everybody just backed for the bare minimum to get the game. That's still a lot, but the scope would have had to been reduced significantly. Everybody benefits from the big spenders in these situations. Anybody that scoffs at them as wasting their money while simultaneously enjoying the end result of their generosity is a fool.

Ozium

finally got my stronghold and now I hear about this new bug?

Not sure if my characters are affected but also don't really want to restart again

obsidian pls fix

Nordicus

Bah, I think Ranger's Marked Prey ability isn't working. If it is, then the tooltip is wrong.

The ability says you should be dealing +20 damage against the marked enemy, but at best I think it buffs your damage by +20%, if even that

To all those who say Rogues can't be sneaky backstabbers I say you're doing it wrong. Evibutt the Rogue has been one of my most consistent characters.

Zalusithix

Any idea how well this is selling? I really hope it's doing gangbusters.

Its still sitting high in the Steam sales rankings, and that's only one outlet for getting the game. I'm less concerned about the immediate sales though, and more interested in seeing how well it sells over a longer time frame. Hopefully they can get the major bugs squashed fast and allow the game to get a positive reputation that'll allow it to sell decently well into the future.

If they take too long patching up the bugs, however, it could get stained with a reputation as being a buggy mess and lose out on future sales.

KScorp

Bah, I think Ranger's Marked Prey ability isn't working. If it is, then the tooltip is wrong.

The ability says you should be dealing +20 damage against the marked enemy, but at best I think it buffs your damage by +20%, if even that

+20 flat damage would be ridiculous. It's +20%.

Corpekata

Banned
To all those who say Rogues can't be sneaky backstabbers I say you're doing it wrong. Evibutt the Rogue has been one of my most consistent characters.

Share some tips? Even using the shadows ability seems to be incredibly risky. Like, it's supposed to give 10 seconds of invisiblity but often I find something breaking it right after I use it and it can be hard to tell what (AOEs? damage DoT?).

Top Bottom