• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Switched up my party a bit since Kana felt kinda useless and Aloth kept dying all the time. I added Grieving mother along with my adventurer Cipher to the fold. I swapped out Kana for the druid and so far he seems super useful.

Question about the end of Eder's questline.

So I found the relic but couldn't figure out why his brother fought for Eothas and then the quest just said completed. Did I mess something up or is that literally the end of the story? Kinda disappointing, I expected a bit more if it is over.

_Clash_

Out of curiosity, would you guys recommend this game to people unfamiliar with this style of RPG?

A few of my friends are interested because of how much I've been raving about it, but their experience of Western RPGs tends more toward Skyrim/Mass Effect/Fallout 3 rather than Baldur's Gate.

A few have thought about picking it up but I've always felt the need to warn them how text heavy and dense it can be, and that 45 bucks is a lot of money to drop only to find something you might not be able to bring yourself to enjoy.

Push them in,

sink or swim and all that.

what's the worst that can happen? They won't get angry at you because the game is critically acclaimed.

Share some tips? Even using the shadows ability seems to be incredibly risky. Like, it's supposed to give 10 seconds of invisiblity but often I find something breaking it right after I use it and it can be hard to tell what (AOEs? damage DoT?).
I always initiate battle with a sneak attack pistol shot. If you start a battle with a crippling shot (Rogue ability) and hit, the enemy will be hobbled. Evibutt then runs back to my main line and I set Eder to intercept the incoming enemy. The Watcher is a monk so she off tanks and gets any body Eder doesn't engage. I then position Evibutt to go around the back of an already engaged enemy and switch to daggers and he just stabs them in the back getting sneak attack bonus damage.

Of course I'm continually pausing and unpausing to constantly change orders. Slow mode on during battle is a must as well.

Taruranto

Took a trip to the countryside and I meet the Grieving Mother.

Aloth gotta go, I feel bad because he started getting interesting and he has some nice banters with Edèr, but she's waaaaay more interesting.

Also another Cipher lol.

Corpekata

Banned
I always initiate battle with a sneak attack pistol shot. If you start a battle with a crippling shot (Rogue ability) and hit, the enemy will be hobbled. Evibutt then runs back to my main line and I set Eder to intercept the incoming enemy. The Watcher is a monk so she off tanks and gets any body Eder doesn't engage. I then position Evibutt to go around the back of an already engaged enemy and switch to daggers and he just stabs them in the back getting sneak attack bonus damage.

Of course I'm continually pausing and unpausing to constantly change orders. Slow mode on during battle is a must as well.

Ah I thought you meant the actual Backstab talent as it has gone largely wasted for me.

Nordicus

I simply made my Watcher rogue a heavily armored, single-handed longsword wielding Deflection god (maxed perception&resolve). Doesn't attack often, but brushes off damage, and when he attacks, it hits, likely crits, is a sneak/back attack, and often either blinds or hobbles.

He can initiate with backstab and actually stay around for a while if the enemy numbers aren't ridiculous

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Aloth gotta go, I feel bad because he started getting interesting and he has some nice banters with Edèr, but she's waaaaay more interesting.

Also another Cipher lol.

2 Ciphers, too good.

That bouncing AoE lvl 2 shard is amazing.

Mr. Tibbs

So I just found the drakes

who proceeded to easily murder me

The key thing is to isolate just one of them. If you get ambushed by 5-6 is very, very tricky. I entered scouting mode the second the map loads and crept up to the very top of the right corner, and managed to take out the first drake. The rest were relatively easy.

Though defeating Cali the Silent Cail, from the Cinders of faith quest, with my rogue was a different story.

Did a thorough audit of my party, and I don't think there's much damage, really. Eder is the only one that's iffy, and his Deflection is actually closer to 50 (at level 6) with everything off. I think that's inflated, but not so much as to be game-breaking.

I think I'll soldier on with this save, see what a patch brings, and maybe in the future attempt a Path of the Damned or Hard/Expert/Trial of Iron save when everything is smoothed out.

Just did a spot-check and Eder has +4 too much deflection thanks to the loading bug. I'm level 5. Didn't check his other stats or any other party members yet, but if the bug effects everyone if it effects anyone, it seems like it probably only happened to me once.

Now to decide how anal about it I want to be, and if I want to carry on or wait for a patch. Right now I'm leaning towards carrying on. A few small stat boosts don't seem like too much of a benefit. Doubly so when Eder's defense stat alone provides +15 deflection.

Is there a sheet anywhere of what companion's stat sheets SHOULD be at each level? If not, could we/should we make one? I'd like to compare my other companions to where they're supposed to be, just in case it hit someone else harder.

+4 deflection is barely the difference between a single part of a level up. It's honestly not a huge deal at all. Carry on guilt free. It's not like your getting an extra 4 damage reduction.

To find the stuff for your other companions you need to check the Wiki for starting deflection values based on class. The other defense stats start at 20 and gain +3 per level from there so those are easy to check. You can also use the Wiki to make sure their base attributes are still correct or you can just click on the attribute on the Character screen and make sure that the math adds properly.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Starting to run into some annoying bugs.

1. I can no longer sleep in Caed Nua, the second floor where the bed is refuses to load, just goes to a black screen.
2. I have a fight against some ogres, and the ogre druid every single time casts a plague of insects that won't wear off. I've even zoned out after killing them and resting and it won't go away.

kai3345

Banned
So I'm doing the sidequest with the lady at the Goose and Fox asking me to give her ring to her druggie ex-boyfriend, and so I went to his house, gave him the ring (even getting a check on the "Give him the ring" task in my questlog) but when I go back to talk to the girl she asks if I gave the dude the ring and my only dialog option is "No, not yet"

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

So I'm doing the sidequest with the lady at the Goose and Fox asking me to give her ring to her druggie ex-boyfriend, and so I went to his house, gave him the ring (even getting a check on the "Give him the ring" task in my questlog) but when I go back to talk to the girl she asks if I gave the dude the ring and my only dialog option is "No, not yet"

You are missing something. Check the house again.

Starting to run into some annoying bugs.

1. I can no longer sleep in Caed Nua, the second floor where the bed is refuses to load, just goes to a black screen.
2. I have a fight against some ogres, and the ogre druid every single time casts a plague of insects that won't wear off. I've even zoned out after killing them and resting and it won't go away.

This happened to me too. Took awhile but it did go away. Poor guys kept getting up, dying, getting up, dying.

JC Sera

I had Grieving Mother with me (she even said she could heal her) but I never got the option to do so. Either break her neck or let her go, and then tell her uncle or not. And I have high int and perception
I got the option and said "do it" but the girl got killed in my AoE nukes and I was too lazy too do the combat again

*sigh* Judging from the stats quoted above, I'm thinking my Eder is broken. And I've already had one game-breaking bug, one that's not even on the list, the Raedic Keep bug, forcing me to restart.

I feel like this game has the potential to be a classic, so it's painful having to wait until a patch or two fixes these things, but I'm thinking that's what I'll need to do.

Somebody hold me.

Landford

Banned

Also another Cipher lol.

Shes fucking amazing. *Dings*

Alright, firstly you're needlessly handicapping yourself by being down an ally; and secondly, the lower difficulties exist for a reason.

Your criticism makes no sense to me.

I don't have enough cp to hire another one right now.
As I've said before, I'm not new to top down RPGs and it's a pleasant surprise to have this one in 2015, but there are many other ways to make a game hard IMO. It's just not my cup of tea the way the "resting system" was implemented :)

Dresden

Having to ration your camps is a good change from the rest spamming of old. If Ciphers didn't get to spam their spells it wouldn't feel so bad for other casters, either.

Ciphers starting fights at 0 focus would be a decent fix, I think. It's still better than, say, Chanters, since it's dictated by damage/hits dealt rather than in fixed intervals.

goblin

I let it live, broh.

Benevolent 3 for lyfe

But after I let it go I reloaded it and killed it. Then I reloaded and let it live again.

But yeah, everything's pretty much a cakewalk at this point. Hopefully it'll pick back up down the line and not just for a few bosses. I think the way in which they handled hard difficulty means it's pretty much set at this point though. Adding more enemies instead of buffing stats across the board only makes it harder when you don't have effective tools for dealing with numbers, and between the amount of CC later in the game and general availability of choke points for battles, that's not much of a problem.

Kill everything!

I let it live, too. Then I positioned my party correctly and killed it.

You've already beaten the hardest part of the game, unfortunately! You're spot on with the difficulty. It's very similar to the Infinity Engine games in that once your spellcasters have enough options you can steamroll right past almost anything. Having 1st and 2nd levels available per-encounter means I can line things up and have Durance shoot five frozen healing fireballs every fight. Even without chokepoints, dropping sigils, force walls and lightning storms around your backline will obliterate anything that tries to rush them most of the time.

Backstab isn't great because you need to basically melee pull with your rogue. In order to get the damage you need to be within 2m.

Yeah, sneak attack is great and gets even better when it's augmented by the talent that doubles its damage when targets are double-afflicted.

I didn't care much for backstab. Party-wide stealth, no re-stealthing, and only one invisibility option in the entire game that's 2/rest make it largely underwhelming. Except for a couple of boss fights, in the time that it would take my Rogue to go invisible, navigate the storm of AoE firing off in the middle of the battlefield, and then position for a backstab I could probably have killed my target by standing still and shooting it with sneak attacks.

Jag

Try talking to him again using some other options.

PBalfredo

Started over for the third, and I believe final time. First was a rogue, which lacked variety. Then was druid, which is pretty fun but I had messed up some of the cosmetic/roleplay parts of my character and that was bugging me. Now I'm on a Cipher and I'm loving it. Firing off spells for days. No worries about friendly fire.

One of my hired adventurers to fill the party this time out is a monk, and I'm not sure what to make of it. She has good damage on her auto-attack and helps flank enemies Eder is engaged with, but as soon as enemies turn their sights on her she melts. I feel like I need to armor her up but that slows down her DPS and her whole thing is getting wounds to do kung fu. But she can't do crane kicks when she's knocked out on the ground. What's the split here? How do I make this work?

duckroll

Having to ration your camps is a good change from the rest spamming of old. If Ciphers didn't get to spam their spells it wouldn't feel so bad for other casters, either.

Ciphers starting fights at 0 focus would be a decent fix, I think. It's still better than, say, Chanters, since it's dictated by damage/hits dealt rather than in fixed intervals.

Ciphers starting with 0 focus would mean I can't preemptively wipe half the mobs at the start of the encounter. Why would I want that?! :)

Gibbo

Just wanted to ask you guys about the variety in enviroments before i buy the game. How varied are they? from looking at the screenshots, the impression that im having is that the dungeons consist mostly of similar looking rooms?

I gave Pallegina, Hiravias, and Grieving Mother some time in my party today. I am not sure any of them are going to crack A-squad.

Pallegina is a fine utility player with abilities balanced across attack, defend, and support. Putting her up front with Eder and my main (a tanky chanter) gives me lots of protection for my back line. The trouble is that Kana does most of those things as well or better. But maybe Pallegina will come into her own with more levels.

Hiravias's low survivability make him a stretch even as a mid-liner, but I don't like his spell selection as much as Aloth's or Durance's. He also lacks their per encounter spells at this point.

Grieving Mother, I need to use a bit more. She's got some damned useful abilities. If I can figure out the right equipment for her, she might be an upgrade over Kana in my party. Pity she can't replace Aloth. He's unappealing, but I'm not willing to part with some of his spells. At least not if I think I'm going to run into anything serious.

IJoel

Got my physical collector's edition signed by the developers today. :D

Is it just me or is it tough to start with a Wizard
considering the next two party members are a fighter and another wizard. Currently doing the Temple of something quest and having a bit of a hard time with the spell restrictions (x spells per rest).

I have to say that I'm very glad I backed this. Obsidian deserves to continue making great games.

Sou Da

I keep getting this fucking screen despite having working saves, there's like a 1 in 20 chance it actually recognizes them

TMPP82s.jpg

Nordicus

One of my hired adventurers to fill the party this time out is a monk, and I'm not sure what to make of it. She has good damage on her auto-attack and helps flank enemies Eder is engaged with, but as soon as enemies turn their sights on her she melts. I feel like I need to armor her up but that slows down her DPS and her whole thing is getting wounds to do kung fu. But she can't do crane kicks when she's knocked out on the ground. What's the split here? How do I make this work?
I'm not 100% sure how a Monk works, but are you completely unarmored with the monk?

You might get the most wounds and DPS that way, but I don't think it's necessarily good to fill up your max wounds on grazes alone and then have another enemy's lucky crit take a huge chunk of your health without applying extra wounds.

You could probably get a basic robe that has DR 3 and -15% recovery speed penalty.

Got my physical collector's edition signed by the developers today. :D

Is it just me or is it tough to start with a Wizard
considering the next two party members are a fighter and another wizard. Currently doing the Temple of something quest and having a bit of a hard time with the spell restrictions (x spells per rest).

I have to say that I'm very glad I backed this. Obsidian deserves to continue making great games.

Yeah, the game really wants you to hire a friend or two at the first tavern. I cannot imagine how much slower the game would be if I hadn't picked up a rogue at that point.

Varna

I really like all the party members so far. Making it really hard to decide who I want to run with. Also, I don't know if it was intentional... but I think it's really funny how unappealing all the party members are as romance options (if there was such an option). Oh yeah, Grieving Mother... I sure what to get with that!

Two Cipher's is pretty awesome too. Lots of nice AOE effects without having to manage friendly fire.

Ozium

btw in Caed Nua I climbed out of the dungeon and ended up outside but when I tried to enter that door it just went to a blank map screen.. bug?

Tenck

How many party members am I allowed to have? I just met that chanter guy and was surprised I could do a group of 5.

Rad-

I don't know if it's intended (probably not) but monks can equip a weapon in offhand and get nice weapon style bonuses. You get the bonuses of both two weapon style (because fists also count as two weapon style) and one weapon style (with your offhand weapon) while still keeping your fist attack in your right hand.

I equipped my monk with an offhand weapon first and was shocked how his accuracy just jumped a ton while still having fist count as a weapon in the inventory screen. Been rolling like this for a few hours now.

Top Bottom