• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

KR_remix

It does have alternate paths.
I didn't pay anything.
Aside form 500 to get to see her

I was mainly referring to having to pay her or not, a pretty binary choice compared to a lot of the other quests in the game.
Also I guess you could just kill her >.>

There's an alternate way.
Do Maea's quest and she drops the price to see her to 500.
You can intimidate Selel for the amulet and get it from her for free.

Ya, I already did the quest that drops the price to see her, but I guess I didn't see the intimidate because I have requirements I don't meet turned off in the options.
I guess I'm just trying to say the quest is rather lackluster compared to the rest in the game. It is basically just go talk to an npc once.

Nordicus

I don't know if it was required but I paid the amount to see her as well. Fucking prostitutes.
I should have expected a price as high as that, because it's money that she can very likely make in a month or less with her occupation and rates
It does have alternate paths.
I didn't pay anything.
Aside form 500 to get to see her
I suppose I'll have to come back to her later. Couldn't persuade her with high
Perception or Resolve
stats at least.

I kinda hate that sleeping with prostitutes in this game gives you a stats boost. It's kind of tacky of Obsidian to trivialize sex workers that way.

Then why click on it?

Memorials are clearly marked and you know exactly what it's going to be. Just.... Don't click on it.

You realize that was literally the first memorial you find in the game that I clicked on? You don't know what it is until that point.

Nofunallowed.jpg

I guess you hate all the real world references in Fallout? jeezus.

Of course I love Fallout and all its strangeness. Pillars isn't an anachronistic goofy game like Fallout.

Volodja

I should have expected a price as high as that, because it's money that she can very likely make in a month or less with her occupation and rates I suppose I'll have to come back to her later. Couldn't persuade her with high
Perception or Resolve
stats at least.
I don't recall what option I took to not pay

A quest in Act 2 that kind of left me puzzled because at the end I couldn't choose anything but 1 action was
Built to Last. After I got the plans to build the armors I could just give them to the blacksmith and not talk to the crucible knight boss to try and change his ideas. Basically once I had the plans it seemed like the only option to finish the quest was to have the armors built.
Maybe I just lacked the proper stats.

KR_remix

I should have expected a price as high as that, because it's money that she can very likely make in a month or less with her occupation and rates

Actually, they make it seem like a lot of cash, enough to buy a house in the rich part of town and retire.

Anyways the quest basically just exists as a way to quickly boost your reputation with twin elms

Volodja

Actually, they make it seem like a lot of cash, enough to buy a house in the rich part of town and retire.

Anyways the quest basically just exists as a way to quickly boost your reputation with twin elms
Oh so that's where
my rep for that place came from.
Was still neutral after that, however.

Altazor

All I need is for them to add Class Kits in the expansion, and I think PoE could be my go to RPG for sometime.

as someone else has already said in this thread, I'd like to see some advanced spells. Something like sequencers and triggers. It'd be fun.

Serrato

Wizards (well spellcasters, but it's always them that get the coolest spells, most of the time) are always the best character classes for me as the main character. Maybe it's just the way I feel, but I always find weird when I have like weird soul/cosmic power and all I can do is bash people in the head with a huge sword or backstab them. It just feel more grandiose when you control the fabric of reality.

So I feel the best classes for the MC are Wizard, Priest, Druid and Cipher. Because Cipher makes way too much sense.

Oh and for classes kit, I wonder if Animencer could be one? I mean, they always talk about it, I see it as a Spellcaster kit, but I don't know which one. Maybe like a prestige class?

KR_remix

Oh so that's where
my rep for that place came from.
Was still neutral after that, however.

If you refuse the money from the elf guy for retrieving the necklace you get a bigger reputation boost (minor vs moderate). It would be nice if there was a way to tell how close you are from getting to the next rank in reputation, but oh well. Even with some random thing earlier in the game that gave me neutral reputation with Twin Elms and then giving the amulet back/refusing taking a reward my reputation is still at neutral. I think that fits the lore of the gameworld though, the guy is part of one of the clans that defends the ruins similar to the one that attacked you at the beginning of the game. They don't exactly like foreigners. The quest is so short and pointless aside from boosting reputation though.

edit: of course I ended up loading an earlier save and undoing the quest for now since I didn't really find it worth it.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I thought it was a nice touch that (Ondra's Gift sidequest spoilers)
Once you found the dead boy's soul in the shallows, you had the option to track down the thug that murdered him and kill him yourself. You don't get any XP or reward for it, as far as I could tell. It's just an extra little thing you can do.

I wish there were more non-combat utility type things.

Granted, I haven't looked all that close at most spells, but there should be a Knock equivalent for unlocking, and Create Food & Water for camping supplies or buff food, and stat buff spells for conversations and other stat checks.

Maybe there could be a "stash access for an hour" spell for people who like to turn off stash access! That sort of thing is a D&D staple, Tenser's Floating Disc, Bag of Holding etc.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I thought it was a nice touch that (Ondra's Gift sidequest spoilers)
Once you found the dead boy's soul in the shallows, you had the option to track down the thug that murdered him and kill him yourself. You don't get any XP or reward for it, as far as I could tell. It's just an extra little thing you can do.

I actually never found him. Looked around salty mast but no one I interacted with provided anything.

Volodja

I actually never found him. Looked around salty mast but no one I interacted with provided anything.
He's not at the salty mast.
But you can find the father there, even after the quest ends you can convince him not to drink himself to death.

Zeliard

This is what I've been doing, and I just finally headed into Defiance Bay to start sidequests and maybe the main quest there at 30 hours. The only thing I finally stopped was reading the yellow NPCs, because it finally became clear most of them weren't interesting or well-written, and the bulk of them don't tie into the world's fiction at all, aside from being part of generic fantasy scenarios that don't violate the world's fiction.

I hope the next PoE game (or the expansion) doesn't include all this stuff from backers, because none of it really fits.

It seems a common perception that those unique backer stories were written by the actual backers. They clearly were not. The style of writing (if not the quality of the actual story) is far too consistent across the board. At the very least, they were heavily, heavily edited by an Obsidian staff member or two. Most likely, the backers just gave them minor input and Obsidian writers took it from there.

I do agree that they're sometimes long-winded, however, and that the actual quality of the stories does vary quite a bit. I also wish there was more to do with those NPCs, because they basically function as nothing more than Sensory Stones from PS:T, except you can kill and loot them. They don't actually feel like people.

Kinthalis

Banned
Guys how moddable is this game? I mean can we expect user made content?

I'm just dying for original NWN kind of user made content

We're not getting NWN levels of content, no. Creating areas that even come close to what's in the game right now, would require significant amounts of work. It's not at al like having the NWN Toolset.

But it's a Unity game, and I understand that makes it fairly moddable. Expect lots of tweaks to combat mechanics fromt he community, possibly changes to converstions. Maybe even a new NPC or quests, but probably no new areas, except maybe by some very enterprising group of modders working together.

Kinthalis

Banned
It seems a common perception that those unique backer stories were written by the actual backers. They clearly were not. The style of writing (if not the quality of the actual story) is far too consistent across the board. At the very least, they were heavily, heavily edited by an Obsidian staff member or two. Most likely, the backers just gave them minor input and Obsidian writers took it from there.

I do agree that they're sometimes long-winded, however, and that the actual quality of the stories does vary quite a bit. I also wish there was more to do with those NPCs, because they basically function as nothing more than Sensory Stones from PS:T, except you can kill and loot them. They don't actually feel like people.

Some sort of conversation option with them, maybe mess with their minds a bit, yeah some sort of interactionw ith them beyond seeing their past or past lives, would be awesome. Maybe in a sequel!

Xiraiya

I kinda hate that sleeping with prostitutes in this game gives you a stats boost. It's kind of tacky of Obsidian to trivialize sex workers that way.
That's more than what they did in Arcanum, you got nothing for going to the Brothel except waking up with 0 Fatigue (Kind of like having no endurance) and you could also choose to be with a goat if that was more your thing.

I think the point is that you get a boost from the euphoria of a sexual encounter in general.

The prostitutes is just a way of making that readily available, nothing more.
Which is kind of the point, people go to them because they have "needs" that need to be met and it's a purely selfish act.

KingKong

I'm finding my wizard really underwhelming compared to the chanter and cipher but man is it fun to drop the fireball and fire wall

We're not getting NWN levels of content, no. Creating areas that even come close to what's in the game right now, would require significant amounts of work. It's not at al like having the NWN Toolset.

But it's a Unity game, and I understand that makes it fairly moddable. Expect lots of tweaks to combat mechanics fromt he community, possibly changes to converstions. Maybe even a new NPC or quests, but probably no new areas, except maybe by some very enterprising group of modders working together.

Ah well, perhaps some day

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Plus making new areas is a huge problem given the techniques Obsidian used.

Xiraiya

I've been having a really tough time deciding between Fighter and Paladin as the Pally seems kind of middling compared to the Fighter.

This game's idea of a Paladin is kind of weird to me, parts of it make sense but Paladins most of the time in my experience are the class that has the most defense and HP in general.
So it strikes me as odd that Fighters have such high deflection that rival Paladins but in general have better accuracy and other things that make them sound more viable for general combat and tanking than Paladins.

Then you have Barbarians that have an insane amount of health and endurance and then on top of that later get abilities that make it even harder for them to lose health, and it just seems weird that the DPS melee class is naturally so tanky in that way.

My thought is Paladins could start with the Barbarian level of health and then fighters could start with lower deflection than Paladins, not as low as Barbarians but 20 or so would make sense, or maybe Paladins vould start with 30 Deflection instead since they have such average accuracy, they just need something more to make them more worthwhile right off the bat regardless, through health or deflection.

I'm just throwing out ideas here and I might be way off base, but I just have some weird issues with how some of these melee classes are designed.

Basically Fighters should be a middleground, okay at DPS and/or Tanking but not nearly as good as Barbarian and Paladin when trying to go for one extreme or the other.

Yeah, I don't know who actually wrote them, but they definitely come off as being just fantasy stories and having little to do with the game world. I read a ton of them early on, thinking they were important, and I can't think of a single one that mentions anything directly related to the game world. And so many of them seem to be a story about a guy or girl doing something awesome in battle, that I found it easy to believe they were written (or at least outlined) by backers.

I assume someone on GAF must have gone for that tier, right? Can someone shed light on this?

Xiraiya

Yeah, I don't know who actually wrote them, but they definitely come off as being just fantasy stories and having little to do with the game world. I read a ton of them early on, thinking they were important, and I can't think of a single one that mentions anything directly related to the game world. And so many of them seem to be a story about a guy or girl doing something awesome in battle, that I found it easy to believe they were written (or at least outlined) by backers.

I assume someone on GAF must have gone for that tier, right? Can someone shed light on this?
I never thought Backers wrote them, I just assumed they gave the writers a general idea or scenario and then Obsidian wrote it out in a Lore friendly way.

I don't mind them, it adds nothing to the story but makes the world more interesting to me, I hear you can kill them and get some decent loot without a real consequence, so I might try that.

Zeliard

Well, at least one backer (named Hiro Protagonist II over at Obsidian forums) at that tier said he actually had no input on his NPC's story whatsoever (beyond just the name, presumably, as that NPC is called "Hiro").

Whether that's the case with the other backers is another matter, but I'd be surprised if it isn't largely Obsidian's work.

Here's what he said:

Hiro Protagonist II said:
My NPC has been written by Obsidian. Any complaints about the NPC's story, you'll have to take it up with the Obsidian writers. :p

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/7...dont-give-in-to-censoring-the-joke/?p=1615923

and

Hiro in Dyrford Crossing. I had no input in the story or what the story was about. In fact I didn't even make a story at all. I left it up to Obsidian to do.

Direction? What direction? Obsidian wrote the story for my NPC.

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/7...dont-give-in-to-censoring-the-joke/?p=1616770

The backer NPC stories were written by Obsidian based on character descriptions and backgrounds provided by the backers. The backers didn't have that much information about the world at the time they submitted their characters, so it's not surprising that they don't directly connect to the world very much.

For Paladins, at least for tanking mine has significantly higher fort defense and crazy high will defense compared to Eder.

Personally though I think they're excellent for roleplaying, my Goldpact knight hiding an awful secret has been tons of fun.

He is secretly a nice person. Shh, don't tell anyone.

Maybe there could be a "stash access for an hour" spell for people who like to turn off stash access! That sort of thing is a D&D staple, Tenser's Floating Disc, Bag of Holding etc.

You get that via camp. If you turn on camp limits then you can always send anything to camp at any time and you have the option to withdraw from your stash any time you camp out in the field.

There are definitely in world lore references. The presence of God touched characters is probably the most common reference but there are others.

ACE 1991

But when everything else in the game the game is also represented with stats and numbers, I don't think this a fair criticism.

Xiraiya

For Paladins, at least for tanking mine has significantly higher fort defense and crazy high will defense compared to Eder.
Personally though I think they're excellent for roleplaying, my Goldpact knight hiding an awful secret has been tons of fun.

He is secretly a nice person. Shh, don't tell anyone.
I guess the point for Paladins is probably to have a more long term payoff for roleplaying rather than an immediate payoff for choosing them.
I went with Kind Wayfarers and Drifter, since I thought a Paladin who came from nothing and was born from no one and never really part of anything would make for an interesting character.

Speaking of, Flames of Devotion only adds 50% as Fire Damage and not 100% as the game suggests when picking it.

Having looked at the PoE Kickstarter, it backs up what Hiro said; they designed a character, nothing more. There's another, higher-tier reward that's the same, only for a whole adventuring party (6 characters) who then ambush the player. (Pretty sure I've killed one or two of them.)

No anger that the game rewards players that kill others or anything? Just this? Weird complaint.

I'm finding my wizard really underwhelming compared to the chanter and cipher but man is it fun to drop the fireball and fire wall

WIzards excel at AOE debuffs, look into dropping Slicken or Blindness on a big group of enemies, that's where they really shine. Nothing better than seeing 4 ogres drop to the floor while everyone beats on them for 10 seconds.

So finally beat this annoyance of a boss.

Had to take a picture to celebrate and remember the moment.

Big Spoiler!

http://i.minus.com/jb0Nm8b6oFsbZ8.jpg

Strange thing is I kinda feel bad about it.

I didn't feel the slightest bit bad. Fuck that thing.
My first encounter with it was great. I pretty much cleared the last 5 floors of the Paths at level 10 with no difficulty. Then I came across that fucker ready to kick its ass. 2 seconds later my entire party was dead.

Burt

I didn't feel the slightest bit bad. Fuck that thing.
My first encounter with it was great. I pretty much cleared the last 5 floors of the Paths at level 10 with no difficulty. Then I came across that fucker ready to kick its ass. 2 seconds later my entire party was dead.

Yeah, how did you guys beat it?

For me, what happened was that by the time the animats/adragans/whatever they were were dead, everyone in my party was gone except my ranger and druid. My druid had movement speed +1, my ranger had movement speed +3, so basically I just went into kite mode, but before I could even finish off the last xaurip my druid was dead. My ranger got that last xaurip, and then just ran circles around the adra dragon for 15 minutes doing 3 damage a shot every 4 shots because his pet was dead so he had an accuracy debuff. The adra dragon can't do anything if it doesn't have a character in melee, so it just sort of ran in circles as it got pinpricked to death.

I kinda feel bad cheesing it like that, but whatever. Like you said, fuck that thing.

My melee wizard is a ton of fun. All of the conal/melee attacks are suddenly usable, and his self buffs make him a total badass up close. Kensai-Mage reborn.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
My melee wizard is a ton of fun. All of the conal/melee attacks are suddenly usable, and his self buffs make him a total badass up close. Spellsworrrrrdddd

Yeah, the way stats work in this game means that you can use a single class to make a character that you would need to dual/multi to achieve in the IE games, which is pretty cool. The only caveat being endurance gain from levels, as wizards will always lag behind the melee-focused classes, but that's why you get defensive spells!

Evilmaus

So I come across a man loudly telling someone to go fuck his sister. This man then instantly becomes my new party member.

I think I'm in love with this game.

On a serious note, the writing in this game is tremendous and they've done a great job of refining and innovating on many common RPG mechanics. Really enjoying it so far!

Yeah, how did you guys beat it?

For me, what happened was that by the time the animats/adragans/whatever they were were dead, everyone in my party was gone except my ranger and druid. My druid had movement speed +1, my ranger had movement speed +3, so basically I just went into kite mode, but before I could even finish off the last xaurip my druid was dead. My ranger got that last xaurip, and then just ran circles around the adra dragon for 15 minutes doing 3 damage a shot every 4 shots because his pet was dead so he had an accuracy debuff. The adra dragon can't do anything if it doesn't have a character in melee, so it just sort of ran in circles as it got pinpricked to death.

I kinda feel bad cheesing it like that, but whatever. Like you said, fuck that thing.

Started with Durance casting the protect against charm buff. Had Grieving Mother charm it with her 6th level ability, it then proceeded to kill some of the cleric dudes around it, and while it was doing that I positioned Eder on one side, and the rest of my party on the other. Once the charm wore off, had Eder attack it. Grieving Mother used disintegrate, and Kana summoned Ogres. My Ranger just pecked away. Had Aloth do some debuffs, but he still died pretty quick and I didn't bother reviving him. Lost Durance when he attempted to heal Eder once. It wasn't pretty and I eventually lost Eder but it was close enough to dead that my Ranger, Grieving Mother, Kana, and his Ogres were able to finish it off. Wasn't pretty or probably optimal, but it worked and that was good enough for me.

Rolling flame seems like a great way to murder your whole party. You think you're sending it in a safe direction.... but then it bounces. And bounces again. Suddenly everything is on fire.

Alavard

Rolling flame seems like a great way to murder your whole party. You think you're sending it in a safe direction.... but then it bounces. And bounces again. Suddenly everything is on fire.

Yeah, it also has a real problem fitting through doors and just bouncing like mad off them instead.

peakish

I read the backer NPC which I recognized was created by (for) a Gaffer. Don't pay the others much mind, they and the memorials are easy enough to ignore. Although I'd prefer if their next Kickstarter skips these kind of tiers (I think the way Kickstarters are run has matured a bit since this was launched) I'm still mostly super grateful for the backers who helped Obsidian make this game possible ;)

Galileo

Neo Member
I wish they had included more npc portraits, though it's true that Shadowrun spoiled me in this regard with its crazy amount of unique ones

Yeah, it also has a real problem fitting through doors and just bouncing like mad off them instead.

I've noticed a few times when I cast it, it flies off in a completely different direction. I think in those situations I was casting from a doorway. Always seems to cause problems.

Overall I find micromanging 6 people constantly to be pretty tiring. Especially in areas where there's fight after fight after fight. I also have a lot of fun burning my wizard's spells, but then being frustrated 30 seconds later when I'm in another fight and have no more spells to cast. It's going to be so hard not to take additional spell casts when that's my option during a level up.

Top Bottom