• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Ushay

Spent a solid 5 hours on the Final Encounter, but whatever, we did it. WE DID IT.

5 hours!! Damn I love a good challenge, I'm getting flashbacks of Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal final encounter. Boy that fight kicked my ass several many times. A true test of the skills and abilities grown over the course of the game.

Waiting until fall to play this game is going to be tough :( .. Oh well I have the playthrough videos to watch.

I'm level 5 and just getting my ass handed to me. This is especially true when fighting ghost type enemies.

I'm not really sure how to best use my druid and wizard, especially. So many spells damage your party too that I tend not to use them.

If there are some good guides or tips for combat strategy anyone could point to I'd appreciate it.

Also, do you get better bonuses for stats over time? I have some +1 items, but I made my monk with kind of lowish might and would like to boost it via items. She is a tank for damage though.

The red part of the AoE damage circle will hurt everyone. Also right click spells and see if it says Foe aoe, those don't do anything to you at all. The outer part is your intelligence amplifying the size and that part won't hurt your team. So feel free to throw fireballs even if your team is in the circle.

As for ghosts, I would use 2 handed weapons. You can find some really good range weapons in the area to the right of the 1st village.

Kinthalis

Banned
5 hours!! Damn I love a good challenge, I'm getting flashbacks of Baldurs Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal final encounter. Boy that fight kicked my ass several many times. A true test of the skills and abilities grown over the course of the game.

Waiting until fall to play this game is going to be tough :( .. Oh well I have the playthrough videos to watch.

Don't spoil it for yourself man!

I'm level 5 and just getting my ass handed to me. This is especially true when fighting ghost type enemies.

I'm not really sure how to best use my druid and wizard, especially. So many spells damage your party too that I tend not to use them.

If there are some good guides or tips for combat strategy anyone could point to I'd appreciate it.

Also, do you get better bonuses for stats over time? I have some +1 items, but I made my monk with kind of lowish might and would like to boost it via items. She is a tank for damage though.
One problem is if you have a druid companion at level 5, you may be heading in the wrong direction for your level.

It's absolutely worth taking the time to see which AoE spells affect your party or not (e.g. Aloth's per encounter spell does not). And remember that even if they do affect your party, if they do magical damage (i.e. they're an "offensive" spell, and not a support spell like Slicken), they won't do it within the yellow area.

You do get better bonuses for stats through equipment (or rest bonuses, or consumables), but the base never increases after character creation, as far as I'm aware.

Here's a post I put together just after launch that covers some of the basic of combat.

Nordicus

That actually wasn't a problem with Morrowind, much of that game was static in terms of enemies levels, which made for some really fun moments in the beginning and a really satisfying feeling of basically becoming godlike at the end, until the Tribunal expansion anyway, which showed you what a god was like and what a peasant you were, and then Bloodmoon. Which was literally just a miniature Skyrim on steroids with some Witcher night time scariness thrown into the mix.
Yeah, vanilla Morrowind was especially static with the exception of some low tier enemies. Like, you'd have a level 1 monster switched with a level 8 variant with slightly different attributes and name, but the scaling stopped right there. Tough areas were always tough and easy areas were easy, but it was softened around the edges with limited level scaling. I thought the compromise worked, I've seen it used in Sacred 1 too. Cultists in specific area could scale from level 15 to 25, etc.

In Tribunal though the level scaling was god damn annoying though. Even with my high Spear weapon skill and an enchanted daedric spear, standard enemies took forever to kill

fanboi

Banned
Oh god, I just jumped down the
sacrifice pool in Endless path so I end up on level 5...
without any camp supplies... almost all spells etc used, low Health.

My options
a fucking drake to the North... a million xinuapaposas whatever they are called to the east... and the way up is guarded by millions of trolls and other stuff

And no save game prior, am I dead right?

Go right from the pool and head northeast, there are stairs that take you to the surface.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member

You could try
to cheese your way, equip ranged weapons for everyone except your tank and try to clear the way back to the top (it'll be two rooms to the right side).

My options
a fucking drake to the North... a million xinuapaposas whatever they are called to the east... and the way up is guarded by millions of trolls and other stuff

lol, pretty much.

Conezays

I am at level 9 and finishing up Act 2 and yes trash mobs have gotten pretty easy. (I don't have any of the stat enhancing bugs either). I can get through them without too much thought or the need to pause too often.

I still rest to replenish spells but now that I have a good handle on the combat system and my characters have solid gear, I can tear through most encounters without too much trouble. Don't use food, almost never have used a scroll or summon or potion really.

Basically just smart battle tactics, making sure my tanks engage and bottle neck melee types and my squishy characters stay out of harms way dropping tons of debuffs on fools. Boss fights are still pretty challenging though, so I'm not complaining.

Haven't relied on slick, mind blades, or the quick reload chant too much, but I do use them here and there. Once they get nerfed a bit I think the challenge will be just right imo.

This is pretty much what I wanted to say more articulately. I haven't had my coffee yet this morning :p

Eyeh4wk

The spirit types enemies were such a hassle for me that I upgraded some abilities and weapons to be more effective against them.

Violet_0

Banned
Are those playing on Hard difficulty finding they have to use everything that's available to them, ie potions, resting, very smart battle tactics, etc.? I do in some cases, but lots of these fights are getting really easy. I'm around level 8 now. None of my stats looked bugged either. Just seems like some weird difficulty (or lack of) spikes in certain areas.

never used a single potion or consumable, only the summoning items on rare occasions. I've learned that a whole bunch of guns solve most problems

Are the act 3 reputation rewards bugged? Songs of the Wild:
I get a huge drop in Twin Elm rep and a boost in gilded vale rep for convincing the orlan chanter not to go hunt down some birds which I don't really understand. edit: okay I just got defiance bay rep for another quest fine then.

I didn't really get that either

Anyone else having the issue where you can't talk with bishop in the goose and fox?

you are already guest'ed

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Are those playing on Hard difficulty finding they have to use everything that's available to them, ie potions, resting, very smart battle tactics, etc.? I do in some cases, but lots of these fights are getting really easy. I'm around level 8 now. None of my stats looked bugged either. Just seems like some weird difficulty (or lack of) spikes in certain areas.

Nope, once you figure out how broken some spells and guns are nothing is a challenge. The bounties are kinda tougher and ogre one took me 3 tries but that's it.

Conezays

Glad most of us are on the same page regarding difficulty. Interested to see how the patch affects the balancing and difficulty.

Nope, once you figure out how broken some spells and guns are nothing is a challenge. The bounties are kinda tougher and ogre one took me 3 tries but that's it.
You can opt not to exploit some of those things, though. And some of them will be addressed in part by today's patch.

Dsyndrome

Any way to change main character portraits after starting? I picked something generic at the beginning and want to get one of the 100s of better ones. Saw a Reddit thread but can't access it at work.

Violet_0

Banned

at max level the bounties were easy as well. I've fought two larger ogre groups at the same location a couple levels earlier and they were quite difficult, mainly because of the druid insect swarm spell. I still have to try fight the dragons before I make my way to final boss to see how challenging these are

ZZMitch

So I hear the big patch is coming out today?

Does it fix both the double-click bug and the quick save bug that buffed companions?

I have been staying away from the game for a while (both because I have been busy with school and waiting for fixes) so I am glad the patch looks to be coming soon.

Do you have a full party of 6? I am assuming so but if not hire an adventurer to fill in the holes in your squad.

Party Composition
For hard difficulty and above, a decently balanced party will look something like:

Frontline:
1. Pure tank - Fighter decked out with heavy armor and shield. Don't worry about speed or damage. Primary job is tie up enemies so your harder hitting party members can fire at will, so talents / equipment that pump up defense and increase the number of targets they can engage work best.
2. Off-tank - Chanter or Paladin, but chances are a barb or monk should work as well. Maybe not as defense focused as your primary tank but needs to be able to stand toe-to-toe with most enemies for a few rounds at least.

Mid Line
3. Priest - Armed with a ranged or reach weapon, main focus is buffing allies and keeping tanks alive.
4. Damage Dealer - Ranger or rouge works here for pure damage but chances are any class fits depending on your play style. Again armed with a ranged or reach weapon to stay out of harm's way. I went with ranger for single target dps and also a second off tank with their pet.

Back Line
5. 6. Squishy spell slingers - Wizard, cipher or druid. Basically dropping AOE debuffs and AOE damage as needed onto your enemies depending on what classes you prefer.

General Advice
Read spell descriptions, Foe - AOE only hits enemies, AOE can hit your party as well. Also note for AOE spells the red center area effects everyone, the yellow area only affects enemies

Approach a mob in stealth with your two tank characters up front. Have a character with a ranged weapon start off the encounter and then retreat back behind the front lines. Enemies will be pulled to your party. Have your tank meet the squad of enemies to tie up as many as he can, with your off tank a step or two behind to tie up anyone else.

Once the frontline is engaged, take a look at the enemy composition. If it is a trash melee mob everyone can do their roles without too much stress. Tanks tie up enemies, priest buffs, spell slingers drop AOE debuffs and damage.

If the enemy has backline archers and/or mages, chances are you are going to want to focus fire on them first because they can burn down your squishier characters pretty easily and make the whole thing fall apart.

If the enemy has shadows or other enemies that can teleport, be prepared to pause and do everything you can to break engagement if they get in front of one of your squishier party members. In that event, fire off anything that can stun, knockback, make prone, etc so the character can escape to somewhere safer. Obviously just killing the enemy outright works too.

Debuffs are really good in this game and you often fight mobs with a lot of enemies, so use your abilities liberally (especially the per encounter ones). Fighters can knock down enemies, wizards can blind / paralyze / freeze them, ciphers can confuse them, etc.

Buffs are good too so make sure your chanters, paladins and priests are using abilities that work with your squad. Spells / abilities that increase might, accuracy, and crit chance are useful for pretty much everybody.

I'm no expert min-maxer or anything but I'm 30 hrs in on hard, and a well-rounded party with simple and smart battle tactics should get you through the game without too much difficulty.

Also, especially in Act 2, if you are in an area with super tough enemies, just leave and come back when you gain a few levels and have some better gear. Enemies don't scale so it's possible you should be somewhere else.

My two cents.

Violet_0

Banned
for those of you using Pallegina in your party, I recommend checking out the store in Dryford for the magic pike they have there (she has the right specialization for it). It's a very useful weapon for the latter parts of the game

That feel when you
want to kill Raedric but end up killing the other guy because he is much easier to deal with and am too impatient not to complete the quest asap :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
You can opt not to exploit some of those things, though. And some of them will be addressed in part by today's patch.

I don't like intentionally handicapping myself in games. I want to use all the resources at my disposal and still have a challenging experience.

Top Bottom