• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Kiritsugu

Banned
I'm having trouble deciding on a class. I was set on Paladin for role-playing reasons, but gameplay-wise they seem boring, just tanks with aura buffs.

Ciphers are more interesting, a damage class with lots of abilities that paralyze, blind, charm, etc, but I don't like that their AOE abilities have to be used on a target.

Rogues seem cool, but completely focused on single-target damage and debuffs.

Arrrghhhh!!!

Altazor

-TOO MUCH READING
-TOO MANY WORDS
-OLD ART STYLE
-NOT ENOUGH A FOR AWESOME
-WHERE ARE THE IMMERSIVE CUTSCENES OBSIDIAN YOU CHEAPO BASTARDS
-VOICE ACTING CUTS OFF IN THE MIDDLE OF

4/10 WOULD NOT PLAY AGAIN

Randy42

So I started with Barb and starting to wonder if its a bit boring since its basically just go hit things proc it hitting other things and thats the sum total of the class

but anyway does anyone have sick wizard pocket strats they'd be willing to share? I feel like Aloth should be the carry in my party if I knew how to control him right (Currently in the early
lords castle
dungeon)

injurai

Banned
-TOO MUCH READING
-TOO MANY WORDS
-OLD ART STYLE

604-Office-Space-quotes.png

Rad-

I made my moon godlike monk crappy on perception (6) and resolve (7) and he gets fully hit with like every attack. I have the lightest armor on him as well to keep speed as good as possible. But with 20 constitution he still doesn't die and his wounds are almost always usable.

Also Force of Anguish is the best ability I have seen so far. God damn it makes me feel like a badass when I use it. People get knocked down like 20 meters lmao.

Shengar

-TOO MUCH READING
-TOO MANY WORDS
-OLD ART STYLE

If it's not because of the all caps, I wOuld fall for it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
My Lion seems to be bugged. It takes literally no HP damage at all.

Not that i mind.

I really don't want to drop the difficulty level but for the life of me I cannot beat the ghostbusters level. Why can't we start off by fighting dumb goblins and orcs, instead of paralyzing, teleporting, charming ghosts that dodge everything?

Also, does a pet do anything except occupy space?

Tanis

I'm torn on whether to start on normal or hard. I've always played the infinity engine games on normal/core rules and found them to be decent challenges. But the norm for games these days is for normal to be fairly easy and hard to be like the normal of old. This was reinforced recently for me with Wasteland 2.

Is there anyone here playing on normal or hard that could compare it to a recent playthrough of an infinity engine game?

Volodja

Every level up with Talents has me pondering over what I wanna do for 10 minutes...

...for each character leveling up.

Everything looks so SHINY.

HM. I never had much interest in the old CRPGs, but I'll pick it up at the next sale. GAF tavern should be a ncie surprise.
This success story make me hopeful that a real, true successor to Deus Ex could be crowdfunded.

Is there any in-game option, or any chance of being moddable, to enable true turn-based combat, instead of pause-and-pray? Pillars has my interest piqued, but I'm not a fan of the real-time-but-you-can-pause combat idiom.

I've restarted multiple times, struggling to decide what class to play.

I think it's definitely between rogue or barbarian. Barbarian's have a "cleave" passive, in which their attacks naturally cleave to nearby foes. I'm wondering if that cleave passive benefits from Intelligence (Increased AoE). I'm assume the Intel AoE bonus would only apply to activated skills, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I normally play a spellcaster in literally every RPG, but I think it's time to break the mold and shy away from my usual tendencies. Despite Josh Sawyer claiming otherwise, I have a feeling melee classes will be auto-attack bots, 3.5E style.

Beepos

So only have time to play one. This or DA:I? For people who have played both, do you enjoy Pillars more and if so, why?

Almighty

Well hiring that adventurer sure seems like it has helped. He filled a gap I had in my party pretty well. Still need to work on my tactics, but I am having a blast with this game so far. This game so far is exactly what i was hoping for when I first backed it.

Hard difficulty is hard. I got one shot by a fucking bear in this game. And I'm trying a dungeon in the town but spiders are kicking my ass.

I'm about to lvl up my character. Is utility talent more necessary than any other talent in the beginning lvl?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
On the off chance that anyone else runs into the freezing at one of the early game cutscenes, turn off MSAA by bringing up the console with ` and entering MSAA 0

Fixed the problem for me

fanboi

Banned
So my review of the game, which is from a long time BG2 player (BEST GAMER EVER):

• No depth, feels to shallow
  • The art style in the game is horrendus and dont appeal to me at all, biggest dissapointment in history
  • The music... bloody hell they didn't even nail this part I mean it gives no feeling of the game at all.
  • No attachment to the world either, it feels... barren.

Now take everything above and read it opposite.

So only have time to play one. This or DA:I? For people who have played both, do you enjoy Pillars more and if so, why?

Thus far Pillars is by far the better, deeper game. I enjoyed DA:I but it is as shallow as it gets with some enjoyable characters and brainless exploration. THen again, there's a time and place for that. 6 hrs in Pillars is a constant role playing feast with millions of options.

Cerity

Every level up with Talents has me pondering over what I wanna do for 10 minutes...

...for each character leveling up.

Everything looks so SHINY.

I don't even read them all, I just tick whatever first grabs my attention.

I figure I can fix it up later if my choices are bad or restart entirely. Rather enjoy the game than spend ages trying to figure out what to do with my characters.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i thought someone on the Codex was joking when they said there was an achievement for Triple Crown Solo. Was looking on the Steam page and its real. Holy shit lol Best of luck getting that 100% achievement hunters!

0J6kZOI.jpg

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I don't think an SSD is the intended install location for this game, I never have time to read the tips haha

This is partly the reason I install RPGs onto my HDD now.. lol.

Never thought I would be complaining about too faster load times :p

10/10.

Burt

Hard difficulty is hard. I got one shot by a fucking bear in this game. And I'm trying a dungeon in the town but spiders are kicking my ass.

I'm about to lvl up my character. Is utility talent more necessary than any other talent in the beginning lvl?

lol

That bear

That bear is going to be a meme within a week. Don't worry about getting one shot by it, just come back and murderize it later. And I think talents all depend on your class/build/goals. For my ranger, for instance, first thing I did was pick up the extra tanky pet talent out of class talents to keep my bear alive, then I got two-handed damage out of offensive talents for a straight DPS increase. For my off-tank, on the other hand, I got the heal self and heal other utility talents. So it's a character to character thing.

Just finished up R
aedric's Keep
, super satisfied with the whole thing.
Climbed up the vines on the west ramparts, put on the priest disguises to get past the guards, talked to the old priest dude for help, went down to the dungeon, saved the dude the priest wanted me to save, declined the animancer's offer and gibbed her like she deserved, came back up and told Raedric he was nutso, declined his and killed him on his throne after starting the fight surrounded by him and like 6 guards.
That was a crazy fight. And, after it was all over, I went back and looted everything I missed on my stealth route. Now I've formally refreshed everyone's equipment, and it's definitely time for bed. The thought of what would've happened if I made different choices is gonna keep me up though.

The game's s'alright.

Jaevlar

How viable are Druids when it comes down to fighting? Thinking of making one with the bear shape shifting ability. Yay or nay?

robin2

I'm having trouble deciding on a class. I was set on Paladin for role-playing reasons, but gameplay-wise they seem boring, just tanks with aura buffs.

Ciphers are more interesting, a damage class with lots of abilities that paralyze, blind, charm, etc, but I don't like that their AOE abilities have to be used on a target.

Rogues seem cool, but completely focused on single-target damage and debuffs.

Arrrghhhh!!!
Same. Paladin class of PoE is really meh. Here explains a damage dealer paladin, which obviously won't compete with more suited classes (barbarian, rogues and I guess monks) but that sounds, on paper, way less boring that the tank paladin (zzzZZZzzzzZZZZzzz). Also since there's a paladin a companion, that you could develop him/her as standard paladin if you want to have both.

I don't now though about its viability, especially on the long run/harder difficulties. Since I'm going to play hard+expert, I'm a bit wary at going for it.

goblin

I really don't want to drop the difficulty level but for the life of me I cannot beat the ghostbusters level. Why can't we start off by fighting dumb goblins and orcs, instead of paralyzing, teleporting, charming ghosts that dodge everything?

How many characters are in your party? If you've just got the two NPCs from Gilded Vale, I recommend looking around other areas first to bolster your group before tackling the temple.

A couple early NPC locations:
There's an incredibly useful Priest available in Magran's Fork, just south of Gilded Vale.

There's a Chanter hanging out in front of Caed Nua, which is east of Magran's Fork and then past the Black Meadow.

Also, does a pet do anything except occupy space?

If you mean the cosmetic backer pets then it doesn't seem like they do anything, nope!

Corpekata

Banned
Sounds to me like a lot of people are being stubborn and trying to take on some early dungeons too early. There's other quests early on that are much easier. The one that sends you to the Something Compass, for instance.

Top Bottom