• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Almighty

Sounds to me like a lot of people are being stubborn and trying to take on some early dungeons too early. There's other quests early on that are much easier. The one that sends you to the Something Compass, for instance.

I will admit part of it is stubbornness on my part. I blame developers for coddling me for so long. It will take some time to adjust to a game where a warning about how dangerous an area/monster is is something to listen to and not just there to stroke your ego when you slaughter everything in the room because your guy is such a bad ass.

injurai

Banned
I will admit part of it is stubbornness on my part. I blame developers for coddling me for so long. It will take some time to adjust to a game where a warning about how dangerous an area/monster is is something to listen to and not just there to stroke your ego when you slaughter everything in the room because your guy is such a bad ass.

We will all be better for it brother. Obsidian wants us to be strong and learn through failure. To succeed another day.

Lusankya

The reviewer from Gamestar commented on that:

Der größte Kritikpunkt liegt in der Übersetzung. Halt! Nicht voreilig »War ja klar!« rufen.
Denn die Übersetzung ist insgesamt gesehen sehr gut - streckenweise sogar herausragend. Aber ihr fehlt Feinschliff.
Es gibt immer wieder kleine Fehler, falsche Übersetzungen von einzelnen Worten, die mich dazu zwingen, einen Satz zweimal zu lesen, damit ich ihn verstehe.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/pillars-of-eternity/artikel/pillars_of_eternity,48834,3084291.html

So it's all in all ok but with some minor problems.

Their test will be out by tomorrow since he's 70h into the game but hasn't completed it yet. :O

Actually there are a lot of errors in the German version.
"Stichschaden (pierce damage)" is called "sticht Schaden". It's like if in English they called it "(he/she/it) pierces damage".

Also many weapons are called like their abilities. E.g. a Longsword with "Might +1" is actually called "Might +1" instead of "Longsword". This happened for like half the weapons I saw in the prologue.

The queen who was mentioned in the first chapter does have a name, but I don't get it, because it's just nonsense in the German version.

One of the status effects the rogue can inflict is translated differently, depending on what tool tip you're reading.

derFeef

Wanted to play Druid, thought I would love playing a Druid. I kinda don't like it...
Maybe it will get better later, we will see.

I've got analysis paralysis on the character creation screen.

Don't know what stats to allocate my Wizard. Maxed intellect probably, might is important, what about Resolve and Perception?

ExReey

Which are the classes of any essential NPC followers you meet early in the game?
I wouldn't want to make a rogue/thief PC when 5 minutes later I meet Imoen.

Cerity

anyone else getting some weird clicking sound that just repeats itself after a little while? I have to quit back to the main menu and reload to fix it.

partyboy

What can you do early on to stop enemies from attacking your squishies? I pull with my tank and leave softer party members at a distance, but half the time mobs will break off and go smash something before I even know what's happening, and then when you try and run them away they keep getting stopped by more hits. How do I git gud.

KR_remix

Which are the classes of any essential NPC followers you meet early in the game?
I wouldn't want to make a rogue/thief PC when 5 minutes later I meet Imoen.

after you do the prologue the first two characters I met were
a wizard, and a fighter

Finally bought the game and installing, I'll join you guys soon.

I'm rolling a paladin. I guess it'll be okay to aim for high might and resolve with average intelligence for both conversation and battle, right?

KR_remix

Is there anything I can lower below 10 or is it not recommended?

I'm 16 might, 18 intellect, 14 resolve, 10 everything else. Just idling on the screen before I click next :p

Just an fyi, if you disable the game showing you chat/event ability checks that you aren't eligible for it goes a long way in not making you regret your build. I'm regretting some of my choices already, but after turning it off I feel a bit better.

Alastor3

Are the exp share between characters ? Like if I create a companion + the ones you got early on, are my characters will lvl less quickly ?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I think I'll re-roll my Rogue. Any tips on stat allocation? Race? I was probably going to go with female Pale Elf or Human (IMO, the best looking races for females) from the Deadfire Archipelago, and go something like 18/10/18/12/10/10 (with a Human, for the sake of an example).

Should I spread my stats more, or should I go all the way in with my primary stats? (I could get MIG and DEX to 19 if I get two points off other stats.)

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
Should I play with the Global Stash enabled? because it feels immersion/game breaking.

Playing the game on hard and man the bears in this game brings me BG1 memories.. (of dying prematurely in an adventure)

KR_remix

Playing the game on hard and man the bears in this game brings me BG1 memories.. (of dying prematurely in an adventure)

They are definitely pretty strong, they don't seem quite as strong as in Baldur's Gate though. I went back to where you first run into them after a level and a new companion and realized the monk class is a blast when I kicked one of the bears across the room into a wall.

Krelian91

I'm getting quite frequent crashes when loading new areas. It may be because apparently I'm under minim spec as I have a 32 bit OS and thus less than 4 GB of RAM. anyone else having CTDs as well?

I am having the same problem, only in Gilded Vale so far though. I think most people with a 32 bit OS are experiencing the problem.

Corpekata

Banned
What can you do early on to stop enemies from attacking your squishies? I pull with my tank and leave softer party members at a distance, but half the time mobs will break off and go smash something before I even know what's happening, and then when you try and run them away they keep getting stopped by more hits. How do I git gud.

Early on you're just not going to have a ton of options. Fighter you get early can engage up to 3 when he uses his defensive ability but if he's CCed by something like confused or prone, he's going to lose the engagement so you'll have to deal with them spinning off. If you haven't gotten the priest yet he has an ability called Halt that will stop an enemy in place.

I generally pull with him, he will engage at least 3, usually more will attack him too anyway if you leave them alone, even if they're not technically engaged. You can try boosting his saves so he doesn't get CCed as easily if they're breaking off too much.

Any tips on making a smart but still tanky fighter?

Also, can you seriously not have your party members involved in conversations? That's super lame.

Corpekata

Banned
Any tips on making a smart but still tanky fighter?

Also, can you seriously not have your party members involved in conversations? That's super lame.

They've interjected in a few of mine before. Unless you mean lead the conversation, then no, it always treats you like the PC is talking.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am finding a decent amount of books that seem to just be lore. Is there anything I can do with them other then hoard/sell them?

They've interjected in a few of mine before. Unless you mean lead the conversation, then no, it always treats you like the PC is talking.

I get why they did that, but at least have the sense to flag the dialogue options that you don't have the stats for if you're going to have that mechanic. A bit annoying.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
How many of you are playing Hard ?

Hard is good difficulty, if you prepare and progress exploring the maps carefully.

Like you can have a rogue with Crossbow (or any hard hitting ranged weapon) scouting ahead, shoot the biggest among the bunch with the crossbow and then switch to daggers while the other characters can block the advancing enemies during that recovery time.

peakish

i thought someone on the Codex was joking when they said there was an achievement for Triple Crown Solo. Was looking on the Steam page and its real. Holy shit lol Best of luck getting that 100% achievement hunters!

0J6kZOI.jpg
Hey, an actual achievement!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Who else is playing with all dialogue check signs off? I'll probably turn them on in a second playthrough though.

Kiko

Actually there are a lot of errors in the German version.
"Stichschaden (pierce damage)" is called "sticht Schaden". It's like if in English they called it "(he/she/it) pierces damage".

Also many weapons are called like their abilities. E.g. a Longsword with "Might +1" is actually called "Might +1" instead of "Longsword". This happened for like half the weapons I saw in the prologue.

The queen who was mentioned in the first chapter does have a name, but I don't get it, because it's just nonsense in the German version.

One of the status effects the rogue can inflict is translated differently, depending on what tool tip you're reading.

Yeah I didn't get that Queen reference either in German. The longer I played, the more confusing the translation became so, although I wanted to really play that in German, I switched to English now.

Noaloha

How many of you are playing Hard ?

Playing Hard (with all dialog indicators removed) with a very lackadaisically built character, as a personal experiment to look at how minmaxy this difficulty level is and how viable off-centre character builds can be. I've gone into the game largely blind, certainly in terms of following optimal builds and beta-established ways to game the combat and whatnot. Playing an Orlan Monk and tossed my stat points around rather willy nilly.

I'm looking for the combat to be challenging, deaths and maimings aplenty, yet beatable if I feel I handle things well. I'll consider Obsidian's balancing and design goal a success should that happen.

As an offtopic aside, my girlfriend came home from work yesterday evening with a surprise gift. A gods damned PS4 with Bloodborne. Suffice to say, my evening could be somewhat accurately summed up with the Futurama snu_snu.gif.

Victrix

*beard*
Backed this, didn't look at or read anything about it until today when I started downloading.

Gonna be a wonderfully blind experience to go along with my similarly in-the-dark Bloodborne playthrough.

Dr Dogg

And so starts the longest day of work I'll probably ever see. Though skimming through the tread this sounds every bit as good as I thought it would be, delivers on the pitch that convinced me to back it and a whole lot more.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Started a save with myself and parody characters based off my employees. Fun ensues and I bumble and die a lot. =D

Sotha Sil

Who else is playing with all dialogue check signs off? I'll probably turn them on in a second playthrough though.

I do, figured it would be much more immersive not to know which dialogue option depends on what (and it's a blast).

Rerolled last night after Gilded Vale to create a priest of Eothas, just to enjoy the extra dialogue options.
And I'm now pretending my piglet is all that remains of the Scattered God, Terry Pratchett's Small Gods style.

This game.

Kvik

I've started playing! Of course spent ~1.5hrs in the Character Creation as per normal.

also downsampling with GeDo is glorious in 7680x4320

Top Bottom