• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Corsick

Ladies and gentlemen, his journey has begun. We shall find out if his lifelong misfortune carries on to even foreign worlds and universes. Again we shall discover if man has no control, even over his own will.

4iYJjFH.jpg

This game reminds me of BG series, alright. Bunch of boars completely wrecked my entire party south of Gilded Vale. I think I've enough of PoE for today.

Nordicus

Who else is playing with all dialogue check signs off? I'll probably turn them on in a second playthrough though.
I only turned off the setting to show checks you can't reach. While breaking immersion a tiny bit, I still wanted to see what character build choices gave me the dialog and action choices I have now.

My gedosato resolutions show up in-game but don't seem to actually activate as when I switch to them and hit add it shows that downsampling(via geo) still isn't active. Do you have to do something special for this game?

Quick question before I jump into my first playthrough - I want to go as a ranger, it's not really a style of class I usually play. In the game, can you get different animal companions over time? The companion is such an integral part of the class and changes its dynamic (for e.g lion is support/crowd control vs bear which is tanky) so I'm wondering if it's a set, permanent companion or if later in the game I can sort of "change" the companion?

docbon

oh my god, chanter is such a fucking cool class.

raising the dead and making corpses explode with just the power of your voice? yes please.

Kvik

My gedosato resolutions show up in-game but don't seem to actually activate as when I switch to them and hit add it shows that downsampling(via geo) still isn't active. Do you have to do something special for this game?

you can use my GeDo .ini if you like.

Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 7680x4320@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

ExReey

Anyone knows where I can find the current disposition status of my character?
And is there a list of all available dispositions?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Can I map hotkeys to the different weapon sets, skills and quick items?

I have like 20 in might, but not so high intellect and playing as a wizard, am I fucked?

just like irl!

Code:
clearRenderResolutions
modifyGetCursorPos true
ForceAlways got it to activate but it looks awful for some reason. Still tons of aliasing on the character models. Do I remember something about having to go from a certain multiplier? Do have a 1440P monitor.

Kvik

ForceAlways got it to activate but it looks awful for some reason. Still tons of aliasing on the character models. Do I remember something about having to go from a certain multiplier? Do have a 1440P monitor.

You tried Durante's instruction in the OP? You can apply MSAA too with a console command to see if it helps

You tried Durante's instruction in the OP? You can apply MSAA too with a console command to see if it helps
Whoops, that used to not be there. Was going off my memory of his instructions in a prior thread :p

Hopefully MSAA helps

Edit: A computer restart fixed the issue, not sure what the problem was.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Ooook, I think I'm going to leave that Bear alone for now :D

KR_remix

Anyone playing a monk using weapons? I'm debating whether or not I should stop just punching things and use a sword or something.

edit: also does anyone know how to split stacks of items?

Delmontee

Neo Member
Ok long time lurker,

I feel like I've been on this journey with you guys the whole way. backed this mother the minute I saw it I can't believe its finally 'happening'.

The gif for 'meanwhile in crpg' was spot on I nearly vomited with laughter.

Anyway, how great is this game?! Loving the BG feels, I havent quite got used to combat yet, and the resting system is very different, but that's a good thing in my books!

I will be writing up my character biography tonight. Time to get my RP on!

Gothos

Cant wait to start hearing impressions of stronghold and endless dungeon stuff. Fun times ahead!

Unfortunetely, the stronghold is the weakest part of the game. It's basically pointless and reminds me some terrible facebook game. Real shame. On the other hand The Endless Paths dungeon is AWESOME.

Durante

Wake up, brush teeth, Pillars of Eternity.

Code:
clearRenderResolutions
modifyGetCursorPos true
Yep that's correct. Though I think 7k is overkill unless you are on a 4k screen :p

So I'm loving the hell out of this game after winning it in a giveaway but I seem to have hit a snag. I can't unlock achievements nor is playtime being represented on my profile page, I kind of want people to know how great this game is when they look at my profile but it's not even on there currently. Anyone having similar issues? Anyone know of a fix?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Unfortunetely, the stronghold is the weakest part of the game. It's basically pointless and reminds me some terrible facebook game. Real shame. On the other hand The Endless Paths dungeon is AWESOME.

I expected as much. There is only so much you can do on 4 million dollars (plus whatever else was added in private.) If people want them to do a stronghold, it should be in a plot surrounding that stronghold.

KR_remix

Anyway, how great is this game?! Loving the BG feels, I havent quite got used to combat yet, and the resting system is very different, but that's a good thing in my books!

I like the resting system, because it prevents you from just rest spamming
better than being attacked during sleep did,
which made BG too easy and made the daily limits on spells kinda pointless since you could just rest and reset them. I definitely prefer the camping system in Darkest Dungeons though, being able to choose how to prepare/buff your party during camping is pretty cool.

I can't unlock achievements nor is playtime being represented on my profile page, I kind of want people to know how great this game is when they look at my profile but it's not even on there currently. Anyone having similar issues? Anyone know of a fix?

I'm not getting achievements either, for some reason the kickstarter backer achievement hasn't unlocked for me. Might just be a bug or something.

Is there a reason gsync doesn't work with the game?

Really surprised by how good it looks though, the background art is great and the characters mesh better than my initial impressions from the footage I'd seen.

Gothos

Quick question before I jump into my first playthrough - I want to go as a ranger, it's not really a style of class I usually play. In the game, can you get different animal companions over time? The companion is such an integral part of the class and changes its dynamic (for e.g lion is support/crowd control vs bear which is tanky) so I'm wondering if it's a set, permanent companion or if later in the game I can sort of "change" the companion?

Nope, you're stuck with the same animal companion for the whole game.

Durante

Is there a reason gsync doesn't work with the game?

Really surprised by how good it looks though, the background art is great and the characters mesh better than my initial impressions from the footage I'd seen.
Like most Unity games for a while now, PoE uses borderless fullscreen windowed mode and not real fullscreen. Only the latter works with G-sync.

JC Sera

So how obvious is it that (actual spoilers ahoy)
that Aloth is awakened and is a reincarnated unruly dwarf
also this is why he is my fave so far
Also met
Kana
I wasn't planning to have him on my team because he doubles up with my class but
HES JUST SO JOLLY I LOVE HIM SO MUCH

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I haven't had the use for this yet, but I'm on a AMD card and I need to frame-limit this game. It has the absolute highest power draw of any title on my system.

The main menu especially goes absolutely bonkers and I assume because my GPU just cranks out frames.

I have it set to 60 Hz vsync. Anyone know of a tool that works with Unity titles?

Manac0r

For down sampling is it 2x the monitors resolution? I'm on 2560x1600 so I want 5120x3200 correct? I can set this through DSR on Nividia control panel? Anyway to set an ini for the zoom problem Durante mentions in the OP?

Like most Unity games for a while now, PoE uses borderless fullscreen windowed mode and not real fullscreen. Only the latter works with G-sync.
Ah, makes sense. At least they eventually patched real fullscreen into Dreamfall Chapters. Hopefully the same is done here eventually.

I'm actually get a few framerate drops with a 780Ti at 5120x2880. The puzzle walk trap in the first indoor area drops it to around 53 and the big cinematic store dropped it to the 30s!

I love how you can light the alters with your head as a fire godlike, lol

Skirn

Aaand bought! The reviews and this thread made me buckle, heh. Can't wait to dive into this tonight. No Space Piglet for me, though.

I'm thinking of going Cipher, but I'm a bit worried that they're too squishy to stand in melee range to generate their resource (Focus?). Can Ciphers generate Focus with ranged weapons? Otherwise I'll just make a Barbarian with Slave background.

Edit: I guess it does work with ranged...
Soul Whip is cipher's modal ability, when activated the cipher's weapons generate close range fields of parasitic energy that lash out at a target's soul. The Soul Whip mode reduces the amount of damage caused, but each successful hit briefly lowers the target's Will defense and generates Focus for the cipher. It can be used with ranged weapons.[1]
-- Game's Wiki

Lime

fuck I wish this wasn't released right when I am the most busiest. I won't get room to playing it until around end of April :(

Nordicus

I expected as much. There is only so much you can do on 4 million dollars (plus whatever else was added in private.) If people want them to do a stronghold, it should be in a plot surrounding that stronghold.
I hope the documentary will enlighten us a bit on the final budget.

I mean, the documentary already revealed some arguably more embarrassing things, like Sawyer said that they actually were creating the game and its setting on the fly during the campaign. They weren't really trickling the info to us as much as they actually didn't really have anything prepared for a while :p

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Pillars of Eternity, so good it almost made me miss work. I love all the little touches in this game. Small stuff like having to stealth around to find hidden objects in the world that don't show up with TAB really make this feel like a big, warm blanket of awesome. I love that it's also not just D&D with some small changes. Everything feels fresh. So awesome. So very, very, very worth the money and wait.

So very much stuck in my head until I can get home.

jersoc

made it the I guess the first major town and got a mage dude. Went out in the world. died. a lot. what the hell man? it just went from 0 to 1000. It seems like these places are meant for more than 2 adventurers. So i'll guess have to hire a guy. Need a healer like woah.

V_Arnold

Pillars of Eternity, so good it almost made me miss work. I love all the little touches in this game. Small stuff like having to stealth around to find hidden objects in the world that don't show up with TAB really make this feel like a big, warm blanket of awesome. I love that it's also not just D&D with some small changes. Everything feels fresh. So awesome. So very, very, very worth the money and wait.

Fuck me. Fuck. I guess a replay is in order anyway...

You do realise you get a party of 6 right?

I am actually playing the game with two ciphers. One of the classes where I do not feel bad at all about lack of additional synergy. In fact, poor Kana got sidelined, and now he is an errand boy for the Stronghold quests :D
Two ciphers mean more cc, more burst, more control. And my main character is melee cipher, while the other uses a gun.

I guess this is kind of a spoiler but are quests timed at all? For example the pregnant woman asking me to go find someone to help with her birth, if so many days pass will the quest be altered?

deleted

I'm in the first towns temple and puh, I'm still getting the ropes of the combat system.

Getting my Rogue a Crossbow was a good call, but even then I got put down two times in a row by the
wisps
and the third time, I changed a few things up and they didn't even put 10% on my endurance...

This will take a while, but even now it seems really rewarding. My plans to go up to hard are postponed for a few hours at least though :p

Wait, what?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I hope the documentary will enlighten us a bit on the final budget.

I mean, the documentary already revealed some arguably more embarrassing things, like Sawyer said that they actually were creating the game and its setting on the fly during the campaign. They weren't really trickling the info to us as much as they actually didn't really have anything prepared for a while :p

One would hope their next kickstarter will be more planned out. I'm expecting Hong Kong levels of slick.

_Clash_

I'm thinking about going Barbarian, how are people finding it? I'm looking for a fun smash DPS Dwarven Barb that likes blunt weapons maybe dual wielding( is that in the game?) . Is the barb the class for me players?

Top Bottom