• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Spookie

"Did you tell that one man to go fuck his sister."

9piYvp8.gif

I'm thinking about going Barbarian, how are people finding it? I'm looking for a fun smash DPS Dwarven Barb that likes blunt weapons maybe dual wielding( is that in the game?) . Is the barb the class for me players?

Yep. It can fill all those slots for you and his passive is a cleave too. :D

deleted

Finding traps & hidden objects and using stealth are 1 mode in this game while in infinity engine games they were separate

Did... did you not read the manual?

I prepared adequately, even if I did not read the manual ;)

But the hidden objects won't light up when I press tab in stealth mode? So there is a pixel hunt mode in this game?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
any tip for the church bells in the temple beneath Gilded Vale?

Nordicus

But the hidden objects won't light up when I press tab in stealth mode? So there is a pixel hunt mode in this game?
They won't light up like that. They light up on their own a la IE games. You'll eventually see a large purple spot after spending a short while in Scouting mode near the hidden object, it doesn't happen instantly

patapuf

I think they just mean things like traps and oder "hidden" things only become visible in stealth mode.

You also have to be in range to see them.

deleted

They won't light up like that. They light up on their own a la IE games. You'll eventually see a large purple spot after spending a short while in Scouting mode near the hidden object, it doesn't happen instantly

Ah, okay, I'm fine with that... I didn't play any IE games before though, it's all new to me.

Gala

Hey GAF, is there any good class overview video? I really cant decide what to play and that would be very helpful to decide.

Nordicus

Ah, okay, I'm fine with that... I didn't play any IE games before though, it's all new to me.
Hmm, on one hand this means you get introduced to the genre rather smoothly by playing this game first.

On the other hand, this is going to ruin the gameplay of those older games for you soooooooo hard that it's not funny.

Cerity

Picked up a crazy priest on the side of a road.
Fast mode makes the characters look like a bunch of boy scouts going on an adventure.
Ran into a keep, realised I was way out of my depth, ran away and had some people wanting to kill me in the next map for the intrusion.

Loving the game.

any tip for the church bells in the temple beneath Gilded Vale?

There's a verses book and that scrap of paper somewhere that should be more than enough.

Who else is playing with all dialogue check signs off? I'll probably turn them on in a second playthrough though.
I have them off. I think I have all the Expert options except a couple, like not showing AoE, because I don't like to drop fireballs on my party.

Alrus

So after very easily clearing a group of bandits solo, I figured a pack of wolf wouldn't really pose any issues. But no, I got wrecked multiple times.

Corpekata

Banned
Goddamn the quest dealing with Gilded Vale's lord just drained me in a way a game hasn't in ages. Final encounter finally beaten after multiple tries and I feel like I need a smoke. Used so many buffs.

Durante

What's the limit for resting supplies on the various difficulties? The game only tells me it's fewer at higher difficulties.

Lord Phol

I rolled a Rogue after spending about 3 hours on character creation, managed to play about 30 minutes until it was time to hit the sack, yet I'm still not sure I made the right choice x.x. I've narrowed it down to Druid, Cipher or Rogue. God damn I want to play it so bad but I also want to feel perfectly good about my choice before venturing forth >>.

Rogue are my go to class in most cases, and I think they make the most sense from the RP perspective I'm going for (though I'm missing out on heavy armor) in this game. Druids have these awesome spells that are just so fun to use and Ciphers are just really neat.

danthefan

For someone who doesn't have much experience in these games what would be the best difficulty to go for? Just normal? I hear it's quite difficult. I got through Divinity on normal for reference.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Rogues are the best because they get to do all kinds of cool shit in combat, can dual wield effectively from the start and also because they just are so you should be a rogue because

derFeef

I rolled a Rogue after spending about 3 hours on character creation, managed to play about 30 minutes until it was time to hit the sack, yet I'm still not sure I made the right choice x.x. I've narrowed it down to Druid, Cipher or Rogue. God damn I want to play it so bad but I also want to feel perfectly good about my choice before venturing forth >>.

Don't. I am the same but it's not worth it, you will get a full party of 6 and enjoy many classes.

JimPanzer

already asked a few times, but the thread is moving too fast :)

can I play the game on the integrated GPU on an 3570k? Anyone tried themselve?

Melchior

Pretty awesome first 9 hours. Finished Act 1. Playing on Hard/Expert is perfect. It's the right amount of difficulty. It's funny a group of 4 boars gave me more trouble than any other battle that I did. Full cleared all zones I went to/had access to. Looking forward to playing more tonight.

Lord Phol

Don't. I am the same but it's not worth it, you will get a full party of 6 and enjoy many classes.

You are probably right, I'll just have to trust that the companions can fill the void! Rogue it is (though one last remake just to make sure I get my attributes and stuff right xD).

Visceir

Made a wood elf wizard with 18 might, 15 dex and 15 int. Plan is to fuck shit up and intimidate everything into submission. Screw diplomacy and being charming.

Only got to play an hour, but I'm slightly bummed by how little skills I get to use. Seems like I only have 1 spell use until I get to rest again. What's the point of having all those cool skills if I don't get to use them. I got to choose 4 spells and haven't even seen what 3 of them do.

Spookie

Rad. I'm looking Might and then probably resolve or con secondary to get a barb to be proud of you'd say?

Sounds about right, as I said before don't over look int to increase the cleave damage. It's bloody powerful.

Man the dialogue in this game is super good. This game has got some belly laughs out of me so far for some unexpected replies.

*Moves Edér to the top of the party*
"I hope you're not expecting much."
/dead

Skeletron

already asked a few times, but the thread is moving too fast :)

can I play the game on the integrated GPU on an 3570k? Anyone tried themselve?
I'm playing on my old laptop (Intel Core i5 2.5ghz) and it runs great at the lowest resolution (1280x720). Laggy as hell at 1920x1080 but I don't need super high-def graphics. It's beautiful even at a low resolution. I'm just happy it runs.

Kiyoshi

made it the I guess the first major town and got a mage dude. Went out in the world. died. a lot. what the hell man? it just went from 0 to 1000. It seems like these places are meant for more than 2 adventurers. So i'll guess have to hire a guy. Need a healer like woah.

Hint, explore the first town a little more before venturing out. There may be someone else there that can help you ;)

Ozium

The atmosphere in this game is incredible.. I only played the intro part to test the waters, will probably start over when I dive in later tonight. I originally started as a druid but I'm not sure if I like it... will probably end up a wizard

Anyone playing Druid and liking it?

SoCoRoBo

Built a tank Chanter with high CON, INT and RES. Had a 5 minute slugfest with a single bandit in the Valewood, reminded me of early level D and D. My guy really needs companions.

Morzak

I decided to get the game, after the reviews. Made it to the first Town and really like it up until now. Playing on Hard at the moment will have to see how this goes now that I'm out of the tutorial part. Decided to do a Orlan Dual-wield Rogue.

Tom Penny

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth

You were warned.

lol wasn't even thinking when you are first starting trying to take everything in. Tried to fight some bear a bunch of times and figured something is definitely wrong..

Corum

What's everyone's preferred method of combat engagement?

I'm playing a rogue and now that I've got 2 companions plus an adventurer (melee) I'm not sure how I should play it. A lot depends on the type of engagement but generally I like my rogue to stealth attack first, with the blinding strike, and then get the two other melee characters to follow-up with a mage supporting in the rear.

I've cleared the first dungeon with a few close calls and it's great fun trying to learn the party dynamics.

Gilded Vale dungeon combat tip:
The mages fire cone spell is super effective against the 2nd level Shades (or Shadows?)

Corum

lol wasn't even thinking when you are first starting trying to take everything in. Tried to fight some bear a bunch of times and figured something is definitely wrong..

Don't worry I'm sure everyone has tried to fight that bear solo.

*Edit* Oops, should've included this comment in the previous comment.

Chaos17

Calisca didn't liked that I take sometime to let poor Heodan rest so she left us in the middle in the night and where do I found her ? Dead on the first puzzle of the tutorial /ok

Corum

Calisca didn't liked that I take sometime to let poor Heodan rest so she left us in the middle in the night and where do I found her ? Dead on the first puzzle of the tutorial /ok

Tutorial spoiler

I watched a play-through where that happened and she was found dead later on the glowing runes, a fire trap. Keep going, you'll find her.

TheContact

A lot of the sub zones have content that's too strong for me the first visit. Like the Bear. Or the Cave Mushrooms. Can I go back to that? Spoiler about Bear
ran past the bear before it got a chance to kill me and spoke with the ghost who said he was betrayed by his "friend" , then I saw this friend hurrying up to leave in the next town. Am I able to go back later and kill the bear and advenge him?

Top Bottom