• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

IV drip. You could also hire someone to feed you. I'm sure there are services like that available somewhere...

giphy.gif

I did not try to fight that bear solo. I tried to sneak around that bear solo. It did not work.

Speaking of work, getting through today might be even worse than yesterday. Now I've got dungeons to clear and quests to complete. I am dying to get to the Adventurer's Hall so I can roll myself a rogue companion (if only until I find an adequate DPS replacement among Obsidian's companions).

Downloaded and Installed the game yesterday evening/night. Once I get off work today I will have the weekend to create my character and start exploring the world.

Can't wait for this day to be over.

deleted

Hmm, on one hand this means you get introduced to the genre rather smoothly by playing this game first.

On the other hand, this is going to ruin the gameplay of those older games for you soooooooo hard that it's not funny.

I tried to play them before, I own BG2 and one or two other on gog.com - but somehow I wasn't up for it. Also didn't have the time...

I don't think I'll have time to play another 70 hour RPG until Torment comes along and after that I don't know... Let me finish this one first, it would be the longest story driven SP game I ever completed.

ghostlight_ross

Ghostlight
I'm loving this game at the moment. Reminds me of the games that made me fall in love with RPGs.

Just unlocked my stronghold but I'm going to head back to the first village and finish off some sidequests.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
A lot of the sub zones have content that's too strong for me the first visit. Like the Bear. Or the Cave Mushrooms. Can I go back to that? Spoiler about Bear
ran past the bear before it got a chance to kill me and spoke with the ghost who said he was betrayed by his "friend" , then I saw this friend hurrying up to leave in the next town. Am I able to go back later and kill the bear and advenge him?

Yes. Yes, you can. But you should like, talk to people or something.

Violet_0

Banned
GOD DAMMIT IT'S HARD ON HARD MODE!! with 2 casters and a warrior, now i wonder if I should make an adventurer at the inn

ha, I had some fun fights with my party of three against a whole horde of paladins and priests that heal said paladins and can nuke half the hp of my group with a single spell. Doorways are your friend. The only way I survived this (after a few tries) was to arm the tank with a certain magic life-stealing weapon and spamming the slick and phantom spells

ExReey

Anyone knows where I can find the current disposition status of my character?

I'd like to play without the disposition hints in the dialogue trees, but I want to know how my status is so far.

ys45

Played a good 3 hours yesterday, I don't have the words to describe the experience , I felt like going back in time and playing a recent game at the same time .
The writing is so good , the music is outstanding and so is the atmosphere .

I told a friend about POE who never played any IE games but like D&D and he decided to get it yesterday and he's been enjoying the game a lot so far .

4 hours left before I can go back into this wonderful world .

Ourobolus

Banned
Playing a monk can be pretty annoying when no one attacks my monk and I can't build up wounds during the fight.

I'm still really early, but I definitely need some skills. Swift Strikes is great, but if I'm alone I build up Wounds too fast, and if I'm in a party, I don't build them fast enough.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to get g-sync to work with the game? I'm hovering between 20-40fps most time @1080p144Hz

I found a key that unlocked the door, never had to mess with the bells

Where was the key? I swear I've been all over the first floor and I can't find it.

If the desciption says "causes enemies in the area..." the AoE will not harm/affect my party, right?

If the description says "Foe AOE" then you don't have to worry about friendly fire. However if it says just AOE then friendly fire is a concern.

ksan

Anyone else having problems with modal skills?
Seems like they are always active and you can double activate them t_t

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I really like how playing on hard makes pretty much every won battle feel like a meaningful victory. Also, I totally view door funneling as a legitimate strategy and intelligent use of space/mechanics, but I know some may disagree.

I was originally concerned that the the lack of combat XP would necessitate less focus on combat in general and thus less gear, but that's not the case at all. I've already found way more interesting loot than I would have with equal time spent in either Baldur's Gate. My fears have been totally abated on that front.

I really like how playing on hard makes pretty much every won battle feel like a meaningful victory. Also, I totally view door funneling as a legitimate strategy and intelligent use of space/mechanics, but I know some may disagree.
I agree with you. Blocking the door with your fighter and sniping past him would work the same way in real life.

All fun and games until
two shades teleport past Eder and shred Aloth.

This is going to be the longest day at work ever, followed by the longest evening with friends watching basketball ever.

In all the auto-pause options, is there one that will just straight up pause when a character's turn is ready and it's time for them to choose their next ability? I feel like I saw everything BUT that.

Thus far I've kind of been like "well it looks like their attack is over, maybe I'll pause now and issue a new command" except they're already in the middle of an autoattack or something. Just kind of weird.

I wish it had a queue system like KOTOR.

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
You know what sucks? That you need to eat.

It's hard to eat and play Pillars of Eternity at the same time.

I'd apply this to Bloodborne as well.

I have Pillars of Eternity installed and ready to go, but I'm too busy to play BB that I can't stop myself even for a second. Too many good games this year, damn it.

I'll be back to post my impressions/ask for advice from you pros in a week or so. Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favourite games of all time so this is going to be a lot of nostalgia for me.

Ourobolus

Banned

This is basically how I took out those damn wolves solo...had to use a potion though, haha.

deleted

I'm at the bells and I am dying consistently at the 4 monsters in the room south of there on the same level - I am level 3 and with
the mage

Am I too low level, or just still bad at the combat?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, I looked at the credits and my name wasn't in the kickstarter section and I'm embarrassed to say that it kind of bothered me

I'm at the bells and I am dying consistently at the 4 monsters in the room south of there on the same level - I am level 3 and with
the mage

You can/should have
Eder
by now as well, not just
Aloth

One of the loading screen tips said you can queue orders with the shift key but I haven't tried it myself.

me neither, but I later found out you have to be in sneak mode to find traps and hidden objects and I guess it was one of those

I've walked through the entire place in sneak mode and still no luck. I know others have just posted the solution but it's bothering me that I feel like I'm missing clues and/or the key. Might have to check out the strat guide.

Lord Phol

I know there aren't any real restrictions but would it be possible to make a decent Rogue build with Heavy Armor? Or would that just defeat the whole purpose of playing a Rogue?

terrisus

Waking up and having Pillars of Eternity to play is an amazing feeling <3

I mean, it's not very good for the other things that I should be doing today... >.>
But, meh :þ

In all the auto-pause options, is there one that will just straight up pause when a character's turn is ready and it's time for them to choose their next ability? I feel like I saw everything BUT that.

Thus far I've kind of been like "well it looks like their attack is over, maybe I'll pause now and issue a new command" except they're already in the middle of an autoattack or something. Just kind of weird.

Characters don't take turns; everything is purely frame/time based. Every action has a recovery time in frames, which is the little yellow bar that shrinks over their head. There is a queue system, too, it's just invisible. If you are autoattacking and select an ability, it should fire as soon as the character has recovered. You can see their next planned action in the circle over their head.

Also hold down tab in combat to get a better overview of what's happening.

KR_remix

I'm still really early, but I definitely need some skills. Swift Strikes is great, but if I'm alone I build up Wounds too fast, and if I'm in a party, I don't build them fast enough.

Ya, it can be pretty hard to get the right balance in some encounters so that your monk is actually useful to the party.

Positioning and Mortification of the Souls should help..

Ya, I usually have him tank one or two guys. It just gets really problematic when you have units like
shades that just spawn new units on top of your casters and teleport to your backlines themselves and then ignore the monk

My chanter who can summon a phantom beat the bear solo.

Are you talking about the bear
in the cave at the first forest area you go to? I thought there were two bears there, or is that just on hard?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
the mage

Not a big problem for me, but I have three party members. Neat tip though: Get them to encounter you in the door. Use a few area spells etc. And one of my party members works really well as a tank.

Aloth, Edér, and Customa which I MADE MYSELF at the inn. Edér is a tank in defensive stance

Pilgrimzero

Where was the key? I swear I've been all over the first floor and I can't find it.

If the description says "Foe AOE" then you don't have to worry about friendly fire. However if it says just AOE then friendly fire is a concern.

I believe it was in secret spot you have to be in scout mode to see. I do t recall specifically which room.

Anoregon

Damn, that part took me like four tries and two hours to finish. Good luck.

Hah. I even like my current character but I am still already thinking about what I would want to make for another playthrough.

Alastor3

ha, I had some fun fights with my party of three against a whole horde of paladins and priests that heal said paladins and can nuke half the hp of my group with a single spell. Doorways are your friend. The only way I survived this (after a few tries) was to arm the tank with a certain magic life-stealing weapon and spamming the slick and phantom spells

well the problem as im using 2 wizard right now is that I need to sleep almost between each fight just to get enough points to still be able to combat, and with 2 firecamps, it doesn't help, I stopped going to the dungeon in the first city to do other quests and find magical weapons to fight the shadows

Ourobolus

Banned
I have a question for later in the game - for the recruitable party members, including ones you can hire, are you able to put them in a party and then swap them out? Say I have 5 premade characters and I want to create a Rogue. Can I tell one to leave my party and then get him later?

Characters don't take turns; everything is purely frame/time based. Every action has a recovery time in frames, which is the little yellow bar that shrinks over their head. There is a queue system, too, it's just invisible. If you are autoattacking and select an ability, it should fire as soon as the character has recovered. You can see their next planned action in the circle over their head.

Also hold down tab in combat to get a better overview of what's happening.

I know there's no turns, but surely the game could pause and let me issue a new order the moment a character's action finishes. When the yellow bar finishes etc.

Top Bottom