• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have a question for later in the game - for the recruitable party members, including ones you can hire, are you able to put them in a party and then swap them out? Say I have 5 premade characters and I want to create a Rogue. Can I tell one to leave my party and then get him later?

I'm pretty sure all already-encountered potential party members not currently in your party hang out at the
Stronghold

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
On Hard and Expert and so far I am doing OK.

Then again, I am still at the character generation screen.

After you finish your character you can start the game and then immediately spend the next hour reading shit in the cyclopedia.

deleted

Not a big problem for me, but I have three party members. Neat tip though: Get them to encounter you in the door. Use a few area spells etc. And one of my party members works really well as a tank.

Aloth, Edér, and Customa which I MADE MYSELF at the inn. Edér is a tank in defensive stance

Also, I looked at the credits and my name wasn't in the kickstarter section and I'm embarrassed to say that it kind of bothered me

You can/should have
Eder
by now as well, not just
Aloth

Huh?! I'll have a look around town first then. With a party of two its not much of a party anyway..

Violet_0

Banned
well the problem as im using 2 wizard right now is that I need to sleep almost between each fight just to get enough points to still be able to combat, and with 2 firecamps, it doesn't help, I stopped going to the dungeon in the first city to do other quests and find magical weapons to fight the shadows

I cleared that dungeon with my chanter and the first two companions. Use doorways to create bottle necks, lure them with a ranged weapon (sometimes only part of the enemy group will attack), spam slicken if you have it followed by aoe spells, prepare some traps. Although I can definitely see why you might have issues with the teleporting shadows, they eat wizards

I know there's no turns, but surely the game could pause and let me issue a new order the moment a character's action finishes. When the yellow bar finishes etc.
You can queue up their next action, though. I think you can actually queue up several actions with Shift+Click, including movement.

Which is good, because my biggest issue with the game is pathfinding, which is very shoddy in tight spaces.

Seeing as how I haven't played anything like this in nearly a decade and a half (well, I played Torment more recently, but), I'm playing this shit on Normal. Ya'll go ahead and point and laugh, I'm old and tired.

Arrived into the first city and I'm not very convinced by the rogue class. Do you think playing chanter or cipher is worth starting again? :/

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gotcha. Thanks. (I'm still nowhere near that point).

I'm not there yet either, but I actually think it isn't that far into the game.

Unrelated, but I am loving how full of side quests the game is. Total BG2 feels. I only just left the firs town and I have like 4 quests to do unrelated to story progression.

Arrived into the first city and I'm not very convinced by the rogue class. Do you think player chanter or cipher is worth starting again? :/

I feel like rogues will really shine in a full party. so if it's still just like 3-4 guys I wouldn't give up just yet.

Crap, just learned about the need to stealth to see hidden items. Just got to Gilded Vale, did I miss anything valuable in the zone with the infamous bear, or in Gilded Vale proper?

Also, random question, how the heck were you supposed to figure out the floor puzzle in the tutorial dungeon? I basically just went around it.

Last question, should I bother with armor for my wizards?

Thanks

Wanace

I haaaaate that AOE spells don't target the monster, but the spot you click on. I always waste spells because of this. Am I doing something wrong? I cast it and the monster moves and then the spell goes off, and the swarm of bees swirls around an empty spot or whatever.

Durante

Seeing as how I haven't played anything like this in nearly a decade and a half (well, I played Torment more recently, but), I'm playing this shit on Normal. Ya'll go ahead and point and laugh, I'm old and tired.
Code:
      ^
      |
      |
    HA HA

I haaaaate that AOE spells don't target the monster, but the spot you click on. I always waste spells because of this. Am I doing something wrong? I cast it and the monster moves and then the spell goes off, and the swarm of bees swirls around an empty spot or whatever.
Well, you need to either take into account how the enemies will move over the time it will take you to cast the spell, or wait until they have settled.
I always like that part about IE games - I think it's tactically interesting. Of course, in those you also had to guess your AoE range :p

CoolOff

You can queue up their next action, though. I think you can actually queue up several actions with Shift+Click, including movement.

Which is good, because my biggest issue with the game is pathfinding, which is very shoddy in tight spaces.

Woah, queuing is awesome.

wamberz1

Anyone having a lot of fun with fighter or barbarian? I'm rolling a monk and kind of finding it boring. I generally like to play melee classes.

Crap, just learned about the need to stealth to see hidden items. Just got to Gilded Vale, did I miss anything valuable in the zone with the infamous bear, or in Gilded Vale proper?

Also, random question, how the heck were you supposed to figure out the floor puzzle in the tutorial dungeon? I basically just went around it.

Thanks
Don't put armor on your wizards unless you're struggling with positioning and getting knocked down a lot. Armor slows down casting speed (you can see by how much in the tooltip), which is very bad.

You need to engage scouting mode (default hotkey: Alt) to find hidden items and traps, but note that it's actually checking your Mechanics skill to find those. Anyone can enter scouting mode, so your guy who looks for traps and secrets doesn't need high Stealth, just high Mechanics.

You can get around
the floor puzzle by disarming the individual traps that make it up (which also gives you XP) and walking your characters through one by one.

Spookie

I have a question for later in the game - for the recruitable party members, including ones you can hire, are you able to put them in a party and then swap them out? Say I have 5 premade characters and I want to create a Rogue. Can I tell one to leave my party and then get him later?

You can swap them at an Inn.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

All of the AOE spells my party has can be targeted to a monster. Of course, that monster then generally gets close enough to the frontline guys so I end up nuking my folks, but you know. Greatness, at any cost.

My rogue is dominating party damage and kills. What do you not like about the class?

It feels a bit classic you know? I finished Divinity two months ago and wanted to play a rogue since that time, but I feel it's a waste to not give a try to the most original classes of PoE. :/

Varna

Thanks

There is nothing to figure out
there is a room were you light some braziers and that gives you a path you can walk
. It doesn't lead to anything. Just another way to get advance the area.

dude

dude
So finally caved and hired a barbarian for some melee backup. Will keep her around until I find more melee focused companions, because multiple enemies encounters just turned waaayyyy more manageable.

Violet_0

Banned

You can get around
the floor puzzle by disarming the individual traps that make it up (which also gives you XP) and walking your characters through one by one.

uh,
or light the torches in the room next to it and every plate that is not glowing is not a trap

Use a fighter or other frontline character to tie up the enemies (
Eder has a modal ability that will engage three enemies at once
), and then unleash on them. Or else anticipate their movement. This is obviously easier with spells that have Fast cast times. Also, you can directly target monsters with AoE, just make sure you know where they're headed.

Important spellcasting PSA: The yellow on the AoE circle is the bonus AoE granted by your Intellect ability. I think even on abilities that can hit friendlies, the yellow is foe AoE only (don't blame me if I'm wrong about this, but it's definitely true of Fan of Flames), so it won't hurt your guys. If you're standing far enough back, you can actually fire Fan of Flames at the frontline and not hurt friendlies, provided they're standing in the yellow.

Bonus PSA: This is only true of magical damage spells. If you use, e.g., Slicken, the AoE will still affect friendlies.

uh,
or lighten the torches in the room next to it and every plate that is not glowing is not a trap
Yeah, I figured this worked too,
but I didn't have anything to light them with!

Tactician 101, Rule #62

Lead the target.

Bait it with one character into a predictable path, then have your caster/trapper target the ground where the target will be, not where it is.

Unrelated, but I am loving how full of side quests the game is. Total BG2 feels. I only just left the firs town and I have like 4 quests to do unrelated to story progression.

I was a little concerned because glancing at the table of contents in the strategy guide I didn't see a huge number of sidequests. But it seems the game lists "Sidequests" and "Tasks" separately but Tasks still seem pretty meaty.

You can:

1. Go around it like you found.
2. Use the rogue to disarm a path through the traps.
3. Light the torches in the next room.[

There is nothing to figure out
there is a room were you light some braziers and that gives you a path you can walk
. It doesn't lead to anything. Just another way to get advance the area.

There is something down that path:

There is a large stone face covered in oil- clear the face and then insert a gem that you can find earlier in the dungeon to open up a secret room.

Anoregon

This thread is killing me. It's only fucking 9:30. I want work to be over so I can drown in pillars/bloodborne weekend :(

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Okay, if anybody here ever tries to go for the Triple-Crown Solo Achievment (not sure how it's called in english) I need to know which build you're trying this with. This achievment sounds 100% insane.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
why doesn't the game show up in your steam game activity feed etc? can't browse the achievement page either. Unlocked one though.

Okay, if anybody here ever tries to go for the Triple-Crown Solo Achievment (not sure how it's called in english) I need to know which build you're trying this with. This achievment sounds 100% insane.

My build will probably be "navigate to C:\Users\USERNAME\Save Games\Pillars of Eternity, copy/paste regularly." :p

I was a little concerned because glancing at the table of contents in the strategy guide I didn't see a huge number of sidequests. But it seems the game lists "Sidequests" and "Tasks" separately but Tasks still seem pretty meaty.

You can:

1. Go around it like you found.
2. Use the rogue to disarm a path through the traps.
3. Light the torches in the next room.[

There is something down that path:

There is a large stone face covered in oil- clear the face and then insert a gem that you can find earlier in the dungeon to open up a secret room.

I'm an idiot.
I removed the torch from the temp fighter and gave her a shield and forgot bout it in the stash. I figured you'd have to light the braziers but couldn't find anything to use. DUH.

Durante

What's the exact formula for xp gain with more/fewer party members? I need to decide how many adventurers to hire until I find more companions.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Played from about 6:30 to 12:30 last night. Was tough to pull away and go to sleep. Really enjoying it.

First four hours were pretty challenging since I was on my own most of the time and since I was a Rogue with the minimum 3 Con so I couldn't exactly take a hit well. I had to be pretty inventive in some of those battles.
Still though I killed the Bear in the cave and the three bandits on that same map alone on my own. Cleared every encounter I came upon up until the latter stages of the Eothas temple with Aloth. But the two of us were just way too squishy to take on those Phantoms and all those Wraiths or whatever they're called. But once I picked up Edér it's been no problem at all taking down everyone I've come across. Durance is just icing on the cake so far. Only needed healing a couple times when I wasn't being careful with my placement.

So far cleared every map available between
Gilded Vale South to Defiance Bay and East to Caed Nua(sp?)
, and I'm currently level 4, though right on the cusp of level 5 I think, and in the middle of
Raedric's Hold skulking about in my monk disguise. How do you access that hidden room in the basement attached to the Animancer's room? I killed her after I convinced her I worked for Raedric, but I have save right before if I should leave her alive.

Having a capable tank just makes things so much easier. I barely take damage in fights anymore. I find myself really not using either of my magic character's normal spells at all and just relying on Per Encounter for most encounters. I'm keeping them saved up for the tough battles when I'm low on health and now I'll be resting soon.

Coxswain

Man, Path of the Damned doesn't fuck around (especially if you didn't read up on the game's systems or play the backer beta or anything).

Top Bottom