• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Durante

As good as any, if not more so, due to modern conveniences and the way the stat system works. If you're interested it's well worth taking the dive.
I think certainly more so, even without going into the mechanics -- simply because of the dozens of small (and larger) interface improvements compared to the IE games.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Anywhere in the starting town to buy a torch? I somehow lost mine at one point, and I suddenly really, really need a source of fire damage.

zonezeus

Same here. I'm a bit afraid by the difficulty of those games (BG and such)

I'm playing on Normal and the game is not very difficult so far (about 8 hours in). It's a bit like Easy in BG2, you can go through most fights just waving your swords around, with no extra planning and/or preparation.

Burt

I've never played a game of this genre. Would this be a good introduction?

Probably, considering it doesn't use the antiquated D&D systems that can really throw people off the first time around. Besides that, I actually don't think I've come across a game like this that's done as well at explaining itself.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I have to say I'm quite sad when I sell like two dozen sets of weapons and armor and I only make like 500cp. Meanwhile just a Fine Enchantment costs 600, didn't even bother looking at Attribute Enchantments yet. A least food is easy and cheap to make.

wait, you can do that? So many avoidable reloads ...

Yeah up the stairs in the NW of the
basement/sewers and then up the stairs on the left side in the kitchen there are two big chests with these monk close and then you walk around the whole upstairs though you will get stopped and you'll have to pass a Resolve check of like 14 or 16. I did shut down though when I entered an area where they all became hostile so it's not foolproof

LordAmused

I'm playing on Normal and the game is not very difficult so far (about 8 hours in). It's a bit like Easy in BG2, you can go through most fights just waving your swords around, with no extra planning and/or preparation.

Allright thanks for your answer. I will probably get it on Nuuvem and give it a try!

Sotha_Sil

Only got to play 15 minutes last night. Rushed through character creation to see how the game looks in person and performance on my laptop.

Looked glorious, played glorious, and ran perfectly. Tonight I'll start from scratch and do things the right way. That main menu screen was classy.

Great to see Obsidian back in action. It seemed like they were done for a while, but they finally got South Park out the door to good reviews, and now PoE looks to be their masterpiece. And if the game runs as well as I've seen from my limited time, this will be their third non-buggy game in a row (DS3, South Park, PoE). Time to bury that stereotype.

Begaria

Sadly I haven't had the time to put into gaming lately, but I did manage to spend an hour reading absolutely everything in the character creation, setting up my character, and looked through the UI. I haven't even went after the berries yet and I can tell this is everything I wanted from a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games - well, even moreso from the original KS pitch.

Velinos

I am really enjoying the game so far. Feels just like when I played other IE games back in the day. Unfortunately I didn't get my physical copy delivered on release day, but I got word that it shipped and should arrive early next week so I am happy about that.

Hari Seldon

Is there a cheater way to repick the beginning abilities without having to reroll? I think I messed up my Monk stat distribution and I want to pick the other skill.

Shepard

Jesus this game is kicking my ass. I'm at the
Gilded Vale underground temple, and those shades keep teleporting and destroying Aloth, I have to burn through my camps to survive...
. I'm loving every single minute of it.

dude

dude
Gilded Vale underground temple, and those shades keep teleporting and destroying Aloth, I have to burn through my camps to survive...

Shadows are fuckers. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with their teleporting. Maybe that cleric trap spell (still trying to remember the names) around my squishy characters could help.

ys45

1h45 to go here before I'm done with work .
I might give some love to Bloodborne this after noon and play POE all night .

Yeah I think Il do that because If I start POE Il forget everything else :p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Is there a cheater way to repick the beginning abilities without having to reroll? I think I messed up my Monk stat distribution and I want to pick the other skill.

Probably with console commands but I dont know them.

I would think this is the case, and it's certainly not something I am above taking advantage of :p

Volodja

Yes, that place on Hard was kinda rough,
I wondered if it was just not intended to be approached right away because the surrounding zones were far easier.
In particular one of the rooms there (the one on the second floor with 2 Skuldr Kings) I just left behind for later.
I managed to deal with the Shadows by just using very careful advancement to lure as few as possible at a time (where it was an option) and using the doors as a bottleneck hoping theat they wouldn't all teleport over my tank in front.
In a couple of situation I just said fuck it and threw flames at the whole lot of them with my other characters still in the middle, worked surprisingly well.

garath

I'm a little sad at the rogue I created. I went human because they looked the best but the halfling crit racial ability and the godlike death racial ability both look SO good for rogues. I feel like I've gimped myself now and almost want to restart.

Jhriad

Downloaded this last night and I've tried several games as a Wizard in Iron Man mode. Does the Wizard get better or are they mediocre the entire game? So far my experience has been: fight more than 1-2 things and die, try to change to lighter armor because the heavy armor is making my actions take forever and then die, cast a terrible version of magic missile and die, and realize that a number of my spells are pretty useless for a character that ostensibly is frail as shit because they require him to be practically next to enemy units (or they're extremely situational spells that require me to know the range and shape of the spell so that I don't hit party members but it doesn't show a cone/size so I have to just pray).

Altazor

guys... guys. The only bad thing about this whole thing is that playing it means it has to end sometime. And I don't want this game to end :(

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
guys... guys. The only bad thing about this whole thing is that playing it means it has to end sometime. And I don't want this game to end :(

Highly replayable, guaranteed expansion, and very likely sequel down the line! Fret not!

zonezeus

I'm a little sad at the rogue I created. I went human because they looked the best but the halfling crit racial ability and the godlike death racial ability both look SO good for rogues. I feel like I've gimped myself now and almost want to restart.

Death Godlike comes with a price though -
awful looking heads

I can't seem to get gedosato work with this game. I'm on 1080p display.
I've tried using this user config:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true
Cursor in-game seem kinda messed up, can't quite highlight some menu.

Altazor

Highly replayable, guaranteed expansion, and very likely sequel down the line! Fret not!

oh, I know. These are all good (great) things. It's just... now that it's actually here you realize that you don't have to wait for it anymore. For good and bad.

And, of course:

IwjI3ST.jpg

ghibli99

I haven't even made it out of the character creator yet, and everything just oozes quality. For someone who hasn't really played games like this since the PST/BG2 days, just seeing 3D models in the character creation screen was a delight, and reading all of the various descriptions is a lot of fun.

I can't even remember, but did only certain tiers make it into the credits? Couldn't find my name, but maybe I missed something along the way.

Anoregon

And, of course:

IwjI3ST.jpg

If i were that dude I would literally have died from embarrassment. Like not suicide or anything, just the sheer crushing weight of saying something so miraculously terrible would have just caused my body to quit out of spite.

petghost

Banned
Enjoying it a lot. Engagement system does tend to make battles feel pretty stifled as far as movement goes though. Lots of focus on scouting to get a perfect first strike to win encounters at least in my experience. A mod which limited engagement only to fighters or other frontline classes and select monsters would be awesome imo.

Altazor

If i were that dude I would literally have died from embarrassment. Like not suicide or anything, just the sheer crushing weight of saying something so miraculously terrible would have just caused my body to quit out of spite.

I dunno man, I'm kinda feeling the same way about PoE right now, lol

except for the lack of MAI WAIFUS. I WANTED MAH ROMANCE OBSIDIAN. I WANTED M'LADIES.

not really.

I am so proud of myself for using consumables as I find them on Hard. So proud.

Turns out they're actually really useful in the current fight and not the mythical "more important" fight that's always "just ahead."

Lord Phol

Turns out they're actually really useful in the current fight and not the mythical "more important" fight that's always "just ahead."

Nice! Are you also a hoarder? I usually end up with way too much unused stuff in my stash in these kind of games >>. Playing on hard as well so hopefully I'll be chugging potions and stuff like no tomorrow this time!

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Same here. I'm a bit afraid by the difficulty of those games (BG and such)

It's a very good introduction. Don't be ashamed to play on easy at first to learn all the systems.
Divinity OS would also be a good starting point since it's systems are a bit simpler to learn. Still, if you ever want to dive into this type of game either this or Divinity are probably the best chance you'll get in the next few years.

Oh nice, I just noticed that loot is marked on the map.

Anoregon

I dunno man, I'm kinda feeling the same way about PoE right now, lol

Yeah but PoE is actually worthy of hyperbolic praise, it's very existence is a pretty unique situation and it's totally living up to the hype and expectations of people who have basically been waiting for it since they finished Throne of Bhaal.

Gears of War 2 is a pretty good shooter sequel.

I haven't been using them enough, but I have been digging the crafting system. Food buffs are nice.

Top Bottom