• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Important spellcasting PSA: The yellow on the AoE circle is the bonus AoE granted by your Intellect ability. I think even on abilities that can hit friendlies, the yellow is foe AoE only (don't blame me if I'm wrong about this, but it's definitely true of Fan of Flames), so it won't hurt your guys. If you're standing far enough back, you can actually fire Fan of Flames at the frontline and not hurt friendlies, provided they're standing in the yellow.

Bonus PSA: This is only true of magical damage spells. If you use, e.g., Slicken, the AoE will still affect friendlies.

Is this confirmed? Because game changer....

KingKong

Is there anything else I should be doing with all the armors/weapons I find that I don't need other than selling them? They don't seem to be worth much so I don't know if there's a way to smelt or break them down later

Also I wish the game would do the standard green/red better/worse color when comparing items to make it easier

ColdRose

Aaaaah, it feels so good to be playing an IE style RTwP game made by Obsidian. I'm in love with this game, and other games are going to have to work really hard to beat this for my GOTY. Yay!

Is there any negative to warping around the map a lot in terms of days passing? Has anyone noticed time sensitive quests and the like(other than the keep)?

This review weirded me out:

Surviving a tough battle through clever use of your party’s distinct skills is immensely satisfying. Controversially, though, you don’t earn any XP for killing things—only through quests, discovering locations, and actions like disarming traps. It's already dividing the community, but I think it's a bold, brilliant idea. Characters who choose to sneak or talk their way through quests are rewarded equally with those who resort to violence.

From just the first few moments of the game I can see that's not true. Why would they say that?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

From just the first few moments of the game I can see that's not true. Why would they say that?

It is true. Combat itself provides no XP. You are seeing bestiary XP, which you get a bit of as you fight certain mobs but is finite and stops once your bestiary entry for that creature is finished.

Cause its true lol. Basically the way creature XP works is that you earn XP for enemies you kill up to a certain point and then it tops out, based on your lore skill. Basically after you kill X number of a specific enemy you fill out the bestiary for that enemy and can see all of their defenses. Killing additional enemies of that type no longer nets you XP.

I think that's how it works.

Dunbar

Good to see a lot of people asking about playing PoE as their first CRPG. If it's possible for there to be a "best" beginner CRPG (given that the genre is traditionally not the most friendly to newcomers), I think this is the one. It might be worth putting together a list of tips/recommendations for people who have never played an Infinity Engine-type game before but are willing to give this one a shot.

Guys, can I get away with dumbing my Perception and Resolve to three as a Barbarian? Playing on hard on wondering if my build is viable later on. Could be a little squishy down the line I'm afraid.

Altazor

Yeah but PoE is actually worthy of hyperbolic praise, it's very existence is a pretty unique situation and it's totally living up to the hype and expectations of people who have basically been waiting for it since they finished Throne of Bhaal.

oh, definitely. I think I empathized with Jason Schreier yesterday when he said on his impressions of the game that he was finally playing his dream game. That feeling of wanting something so much and knowing it's something of a pipe dream, something that's fairly probable it'll never happen and then - BAM, it somehow (by generosity, hard work and a multitude of other factors) ends up happening.
Your dream is actually coming true.

And it lives up to your expectations.

I mean, that's powerful. It's something that would totally overwhelm me.

So when I read Jason's comment, I totally felt "this is how much this game means to some people". And that's how you know this is special and worthy of praise. It's an actual dream come true for many people.

Cause its true lol. Basically the way creature XP works is that you earn XP for enemies you kill up to a certain point and then it tops out, based on your lore skill. Basically after you kill X number of a specific enemy you fill out the bestiary for that enemy and can see all of their defenses. Killing additional enemies of that type no longer nets you XP.

I think that's how it works.

I swear I checked the combat log as I was playing yesterday, and I saw two separate XP entries like:

"the party earns 20 XP"
"so-and-so earns 10 XP for bestiary blah blah blah"

As if they were two different sources of XP. One for combat, one for the bestiary.

Nice! Are you also a hoarder? I usually end up with way too much unused stuff in my stash in these kind of games >>. Playing on hard as well so hopefully I'll be chugging potions and stuff like no tomorrow this time!

I don't remember the last time I used a consumable in an RPG (well, unless we're talking about an Atelier game, but...). I end up holding onto everything and will actually die in long fights and replay an hour or more of the game just to avoid using a goddamn potion.

For some reason I always think I need to have like 60 of the damn things for the last boss to make damn sure I can't possibly lose.

It's got to be some sort of disorder.

Wow yeah I would like to see that confirmed, that would be amazing.
I guarantee you it's true of Fan of Flames, at least. And I can also guarantee you that Slicken hits everyone. :(

I'll have to try some other AoE spells to confirm. I'm pretty sure all Cipher abilities are foe AoE only, but again, you may want to quicksave before taking my word for it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I wanted to play this game solely for the story/characters/lore, would I be disappointed?

No, in fact those are the strongest parts. I feel Divinity:OS was stronger overall in terms of mechanics (combat, crafting, exploration). At least that's my initial impression.

I swear I checked the combat log as I was playing yesterday, and I saw two separate XP entries like:

"the party earns 20 XP"
"so-and-so earns 10 XP for bestiary blah blah blah"

As if they were two different sources of XP. One for combat, one for the bestiary.

IP is only given out for "accomplishments". So if fighting an enemy marked a significant moment in a quest chain then you get XP. But it you resolve the same conflict through dialogue or something else you still get the same amount of XP.

The first fights at the beginning of the game give you XP because they are essentially accomplishments in a quest chain.

FoxSpirit

Man, I have a 6850, latest beta driver and just can't get GeDoSaTo to work.
I can select the resolution and all but no downsampling message and rather obviously, no downsampling.

At least I got rid of the blur problem with the driver fiddling and update.

Burt

No, in fact those are the strongest parts. I feel Divinity:OS was stronger overall in terms of mechanics (combat, crafting, exploration). At least that's my initial impression.

Someone's going to make a thread about this soon, and it's going to be all-out war.

Haly

My ideal WRPG at this point is probably Pillars of Divinity: Eternal Sin

Regarding AoE, there's no way I can toggle on a range marker? It's kind of awkward eyeballing it and performing isometric projection in my head.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
im a wizard, I want to learn scrolls but it said I need 2 lores, but my skills lore is at 6, what

You don't use scrolls to learn spells like in Baldur's Gate. They are all consumables to use in combat.

studyguy

Made my guy like 3 or 4 times before actually getting past the first little dungeon. Just couldn't nail down what I wanted... At first I went rouge because why not. Then paladin, then ranger, wizard. I was like okay great wizard, this fleshes out the party I have now just fine.
And then I realized your starter party members just up and die like a few minutes in so my first choice was probably okay. Shit always happens in games character creators, I swear to god.
tumblr_n68kpdmQuv1tu7965o1_500.gif

Went back to rouge.

UImportant spellcasting PSA: The yellow on the AoE circle is the bonus AoE granted by your Intellect ability. I think even on abilities that can hit friendlies, the yellow is foe AoE only (don't blame me if I'm wrong about this, but it's definitely true of Fan of Flames), so it won't hurt your guys. If you're standing far enough back, you can actually fire Fan of Flames at the frontline and not hurt friendlies, provided they're standing in the yellow.

Bonus PSA: This is only true of magical damage spells. If you use, e.g., Slicken, the AoE will still affect friendlies.

There's a loading screen that explains it eventually, but if there are two circles for an AoE ability, one larger than the other, the larger circle will only affect enemies while the smaller one affects everyone. I would assume both are affected by Int, because they're both based off of the normal AoE.

It's a real gamechanger once you learn of it.
My ideal WRPG at this point is probably Pillars of Divinity: Eternal Sin

Regarding AoE, there's no way I can toggle on a range marker? It's kind of awkward eyeballing it and performing isometric projection in my head.
A range marker would be real handy. I don't think there is one, unfortunately.

Maybe Obsidian can patch one in. (We can dream!)

This game is brilliant. It's a Baldurs Gate sequel done right.
I forgot how much I missed good dialogue, good puzzles and good encounter design.
Real time with pause is the best system ever and it's really easy to command your team. I liked Divinity:OS, but the turn-based system can be really slow.
And unlike action-based RPGs, combat is full of interesting decisions, rather than just spaming your abilities as they come off cooldown.
The stats system is complex to begin with, but it seems to make a lot of sense once you understand the basics.

I have very little incentive to complete DA:Inquisition while this game exists.

I'm playing a rogue water-race girl. I've min-maxed her like crazy for might, dex and int, so I hope I haven't gimped myself with a lack of defence.

If any newbies are baffled by the character generation options, just pick something cool-sounding and go with it.
Unlike Baldur's Gate, it seems quite forgiving at the start. You won't get one-shot by a gibberling just because it got a lucky roll.

Be careful of traps though. They kill. Save often, F5 is your friend.

Durante

I have no idea what you're talking about :/
It's in the options and on by default.

Edit:
Wait, do you mean a marker for AoE range/shape or a marker for casting range?

There's a loading screen that explains it eventually, but if there are two circles for an AoE ability, one larger than the other, the larger circle will only affect enemies while the smaller one affects everyone. I would assume both are affected by Int, because they're both based off of the normal AoE.

It's a real gamechanger once you learn of it.

The first circle is the base AoE for the ability. The second circle represents the AoE increase you get based on your INT stat.

Essentially you are being rewarded instead of punished for having high AoE. .

I have no idea what you're talking about :/

It's in the options and on by default.

Spells/abilities have limited ranges from which they can be cast, and there's no indicator how close the spellcaster needs to get before they can start. I think that's what Haly meant.

The first circle is the base AoE for the ability. The second circle represents the AoE increase you get based on your INT stat.

Essentially you are being rewarded instead of punished for having high AoE. .
Ok, that's a true gamechanger. Either I misread the loading screen, or it needs a better explanation.

Anoregon

Are there Chanter phrases that are unlocked through quests, or are like race-specific? The wiki shows this level 1 phrase:

Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr – causes allies' weapons to be engulfed in magical flame

But I don't recall seeing it on my char. Was it just cut and the wiki is out of date?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Spells/abilities have limited ranges from which they can be cast, and there's no indicator how close the spellcaster needs to get before they can start. I think that's what Haly meant.

Ok, that's a true gamechanger. Either I misread the loading screen, or it needs a better explanation.

The cursor gets little feet on it if you have to move to target an area.

Haly

Edit:
Wait, do you mean a marker for AoE range/shape or a marker for casting range?

I want a circle around my courser to show what gets affect and what doesn't but I don't have it.

I just have a spell cast icon.

EDIT: OH, it's because I'm on expert. Well fuck me.

I want a circle around my courser to show what gets affect and what doesn't but I don't have it.

I just have a spell cast icon.

The game does have that circle. Do you have expert mode enabled? It's possible that AOE circles were removed in that mode I suppose.

EDIT- I see you are indeed on Expert Mode.

Alastor3

I won't quote you but thanks for the response guys. I just finished the first dungeon in the first city, how can I gain Eothas requirement ?

Top Bottom