• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity |OT| You must gather your party before venturing forth.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I won't quote you but thanks for the response guys. I just finished the first dungeon in the first city, how can I gain Eothas requirement ?

You need to be a priest with that as your deity, I believe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm an excerpt™!

blush.gif

Irobot82

Also I wish the game would do the standard green/red better/worse color when comparing items to make it easier

I don't like this and I don't think it's so simple in a game like this.

Armor 1.
DR 8
Attack rate penalty is 40%

Armor 2
DR 7
Attach rate penalty is 30%

Which one is better?

Not to mention. Armor 1 has defence against Crush and Slash. Armor two is Crush and Pierce.

It's a bit more involved than just, this one has higher number so should be Purple.

Are there Chanter phrases that are unlocked through quests, or are like race-specific? The wiki shows this level 1 phrase:

Aefyllath Ues Mith Fyr – causes allies' weapons to be engulfed in magical flame

But I don't recall seeing it on my char. Was it just cut and the wiki is out of date?

It's a level 3 phrase now I think, used to be level 1 but got bumped for being too good.

studyguy

Armor 1.
DR 8

Armor 2
DR 7

Which one is better?

Not to mention. Armor 1 has defence against Crush and Slash. Armor two is Crush and Pierce.

It's a bit more involved than just, this one has higher number so should be Purple.

My rogue needs to slap shit faster. Less armor!

Zeliard

I want a circle around my courser to show what gets affect and what doesn't but I don't have it.

I just have a spell cast icon.

EDIT: OH, it's because I'm on expert. Well fuck me.

I was wondering why I didn't have this either, heh. Might be the harshest change in Expert mode outside of party member permadeath on 0 health.

Haly

I didn't realize AoE circles were too handhold-y by Obsidian's standards. That's a very high bar.

Vengal

Like most people it seems I spent awhile making characters and running them to the first town. Eventually settled on a barbarian and started the first dungeon but man is he squishy. So I'm torn now and am considering starting again before I invest too much time on these characters.

I read abit about rangers but not seeing much beyond that. Are rangers like they were in most IE games, sorta terrible unless meleeing?

If that's the case anyone have any insight on how effective they are or are there better options for melee/ranged.

Armor 1.
DR 8

Armor 2
DR 7

Which one is better?

Yeah, equipment is much more contextual in this game, so I don't think they should be flagging one of these as "better" than the other. I guess just reading "DR" doesn't make clear whether a higher or lower number is better, but you can learn what DR is very easily.

That reminds me, Aloth's portrait has such an incredible expression. Obsidian did such a good job with the portraits. So many other games put so little effort into them, but not Obsidian...

I was worried for a while there, after Dragon Age: Inquisition hit it big with its annihilation of of character portraits. But no more!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bwhahahahaha. Okay, look you stupid pack of bandits, you must not know about me. I roll deep and

OH GOD 87 BOARS ARE EATING MY FLESH HALP

Zeliard

That reminds me, Aloth's portrait has such an incredible expression. Obsidian did such a good job with the portraits. So many other games put so little effort into them, but not Obsidian...

I was worried for a while there, after Dragon Age: Inquisition hit it big with its annihilation of of character portraits. But no more!

Aloth's voice is perfect, too. Obviously voice acting is minimal in this game as it was in the IE games but in my experience so far they've handled it pretty gracefully, and the casting seems on-point.

Ushay

I dunno man, I'm kinda feeling the same way about PoE right now, lol

except for the lack of MAI WAIFUS. I WANTED MAH ROMANCE OBSIDIAN. I WANTED M'LADIES.

not really.

Well Baldurs Gate didn't have romances either in the first game ;)

Irobot82

Yeah, equipment is much more contextual in this game, so I don't think they should be flagging one of these as "better" than the other. I guess just reading "DR" doesn't make clear whether a higher or lower number is better, but you can learn what DR is very easily.

Yeah and even then like I posted, you'll notice the armor had DR for certain weapon attacks. I love it. This is all so fascinating. So arrows and firearms are pierce damage so I should have my back line wizards decked out in high pierce DR armor. Wow this makes things deeeeeeeeeep.

Haly

On an SSD the loading screens pass by pretty quickly, too, so stuff there is easy to miss.

They actually took that into account and Loading Screen tips are in the Dialogue tab in your log.

garath

I'm tempted to reroll at this point. I'm not very far in.

Knowing what ya'll know now. What's the optimal rogue race/stat distribution?

I think I'll have to get past my aversion to non-human main characters and maybe go with a halfling for the crit bonuses or just go godlike for the bonus damage to near dead enemies.

For my human rogue I went:

20 might
8 con
18 dex
10 per
13 or 14 int (don't remember. It was my 3rd point dump)
10 resolve

Good/bad?

Are there helmets that do anything later in the game? Magic with good bonuses that would deter me from the godlike?

I'm wondering whether I should load my main up on mechanics. He started with enough to deal with most of the traps and locks I've encountered so far (currently exploring a dungeon beneath the first village). I had intended to assign most of his skill points to lore and athletics, but I don't want to let his mechanics skill lapse and not find a replacement in short order. Are any of the companions mechanically-inclined?

I think I'll have to get past my aversion to non-human main characters and maybe go with a halfling for the crit bonuses or just go godlike for the bonus damage to near dead enemies.

Go with a rogue Island Aumaua with their extra weapon set, take the ability that reduces the penalty for switching weapon sets in combat, go around blasting enemies with multiple blunderbusses in succession.

There are later abilities to give you yet another weapon set and other blunderbuss bonuses.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm probably going to put together a short "How Not to Die in Pillars of Eternity" that bullet points the 10-15 things you should know going into combat.

Bullet points 1 through 10:

- Despite your instinct to move your squishy characters away when someone walks up and starts punching them. DO. NOT. MOVE. THEM. Disable the foe hitting them first to break engagement, THEN move away.

Xater

evilore.gif

Not gonna spoil who the bartender is for people that don't already know. I didn't.

I've been playing the German translation because I was curious about it. Whoever did it thought it was a good idea to change Goose and Fox around completely ruining the reference. I got it though once I talked to the bartender.

Ketch

I really want to buy this game but I'm worried that like every other rpg I've played in the last 5 years I won't finish it.

So, as far as dialogue options are concerned (alignment, attribute checks, etc..), the game only takes into account your main character, correct? And not the specific character I happened to be controlling at the time.

I've been playing the German translation because I was curious about it. Whoever did it thought it was a good idea to change Goose and Fox around completely ruining the reference. I got it though once I talked to the bartender.

They are translating everything in every language so its normal that the translators translated also gaf's inn name, im sure they didnt know what was payed by backers and what was a normal city inn, if not they would have probably left it with the original name.

Purkake4

Banned
It's true, you don't gain EXP through battles.
Going through hard fights for no exp and maybe just good loots... I dislike this also.
But so far, it's the only downside for me (I'm still at the beginning).
Why? There's a limited number of enemies AFAIK, so it doesn't change anything practically.

I feel that it's a step in the right direction.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's true, you don't gain EXP through battles.
I dislike this also.

I wasn't thrilled about it either, but honestly the run of the mill combat XP in the baldur's gate games was always a bare fraction of what you got from quest XP anyway, so it isn't much of a difference. It also means it's impossible for the game to require or promote any sort of grinding, which is nice.

ZZMitch

Hey guys I am pretty new to this type of game but I have been enjoying it a lot.I do have a question though that I think is important but have not yet been able to figure out.

I know in the Beastiery you can see the Damage Reduction for creatures you have fought in battle. From this I have learned which type of Damage is best to use (or not use) on certain creatures. For example I now know not to use piercing weapons (eg. my bow) on spiders because it gives DR 10 but something like Fire is good because it is DR 2.

My question is this: is there a way to see the same sort of information for non-beasts? Like if I am fighting a group of Bandits how do I know which type of Damage is best to use against them?

Anoregon

My question is this: is there a way to see the same sort of information for non-beasts? Like if I am fighting a group of Bandits how do I know which type of Damage is best to use against them?

Ask them politely?

Hey guys I am pretty new to this type of game but I have been enjoying it a lot.I do have a question though that I think is important but have not yet been able to figure out.

I know in the Beastiery you can see the Damage Reduction for creatures you have fought in battle. From this I have learned which type of Damage is best to use (or not use) on certain creatures. For example I now know not to use piercing weapons (eg. my bow) on spiders because it gives DR 10 but something like Fire is good because it is DR 2.

Don't know if it shows up in the Bestiary anywhere but you can get the information during the fight itself if you mouse over the enemy.

Top Bottom